• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie question about resale purchase vs. resort purchase

Wyominguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

I have been busy reading many of the posts on this usergroup site and have found them to be very helpful. I am currently watching a resale for a Biennial Odd year - II Premier - Starwood property on Ebay that looks interesting.

I know the property and it deeded for week 4 and is floating for weeks: 1-21, 50-52 which would fit our lifestyle now and especially in the future.

My question is would purchasing this timeshare in this manner will give us the same flexibility compared to a purchase through the resort sales? I have not quite sorted out all the details about points and transferring them.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Neil

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
My question is would purchasing this timeshare in this manner will give us the same flexibility compared to a purchase through the resort sales?

The short answer to your question is "no"; a resale will not give you all of the flexibility of a retail (developer) purchase. And I cannot even tell you how much less because it depends on the particular resort; for example, a resale purchase of a Sheraton Desert Oasis platinum unit that floats 1-21 + 50-52, but is SVN voluntary has different attributes than a resale purchase of a Westin Kierland platinum that also floats 1-21 + 50-52 but is SVN mandatory.

It would therefore help if you would tell us where you are contemplating a resale purchase.

I can tell you, however, that the resale purchase will cost you only 1-40% of the cost of a retail purchase and that it is exceedingly unlikely that what you would be losing is worth the difference.

Moderators: I think this would be better placed in the Starwood board.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and welcome to TUG - I moved your post to the Starwood forum.

For a good overview of how Starwood works, check out the FAQ at the top of the forum and then come back and let us know what questions you have.

Point #18 pertains to your question - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63224 (You are buying a mandatory resort - on the resale market.)

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If you're going to pay the extra $$ to buy a mandatory resort, my best advice is to target only platinum weeks. MFs are the same whether you buy platinum or silver, so get the most StarOptions you can with your annual MF.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe those weeks ARE platiunum at WKV. The only real thing you would lose by purchasing resale is the ability to convert the week into starpoints, which many people on this board feel is useless or next to useless.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you're going to pay the extra $$ to buy a mandatory resort, my best advice is to target only platinum weeks. MFs are the same whether you buy platinum or silver, so get the most StarOptions you can with your annual MF.

I know the property and it deeded for week 4 and is floating for weeks: 1-21, 50-52 which would fit our lifestyle now and especially in the future.

1-21 & 50-52 is Plat Plus at WKV.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I believe those weeks ARE platiunum at WKV.

Yes, thank you. I realized that. I was speaking generically. The only time I'd sway from this advice (to always target platinum) is if I wanted to routinely stay at a high demand resort during a lower season that is difficult to trade into (e.g. HRA during summer).