• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

newbie needs harborside advice

learyfield

TUG Member
Reaction score
greetings to all..this is my first day as a tug member and my first post.
we own 67,100 options at harborside that are float..it is paid in full..we also bought directly, so I presume it is what's called deeded..not sure of the 'lingo yet !!
it is without a doubt the worst purchase we have EVER made. 2016 dues not paid, but we do have a extra week available in 2016..we would love to sell, but not sure of the market..
my question is to you tuggers is in anyones opinion doe's the timeshare have any value at all, and if so what in your opinion is that value.
at this point we would probably give away if purchasing party pays all closing costs, but if it has value would like to hear from someone what they think the value is..
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
still feeling my way around the site and hope I posted in the right place..
thank you

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure of the value but to compare prices check the following.

eBay completed auctions would probably be the best because you can see what people are actually willing to pay. You can filter on stuff that actually sold.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Harborside. What's unit do you own? A 1 BD Plat+ may have some value (not more than a couple hundred dollars) but a 2 BD Gold Plus does not.

Your main problem will be the high maintenance fees and the closing costs, about $2,000 US because you will need a Bahamian lawyer for the closing. I think you will have to offer to give it away and perhaps pay the closing cost of you want it gone. Sorry for giving you the bad news...

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Harborside. What's unit do you own? A 1 BD Plat+ may have some value (not more than a couple hundred dollars) but a 2 BD Gold Plus does not.

Your main problem will be the high maintenance fees and the closing costs, about $2,000 US because you will need a Bahamian lawyer for the closing. I think you will have to offer to give it away and perhaps pay the closing cost of you want it gone. Sorry for giving you the bad news...

If this is the case then I agree with this post for sure. I hate it when this happens because I don't like delivering bad news.

You will have to give it free if you want rid of it as well as pay for closing and potentially even have to pay someone to take it

You always have the option to just keep it and use it.

learyfield

TUG Member
Reaction score
there is no set unit I think..67,100 options got us a one bed premium when we used to go..was assingned different unit each time, but a tip to people we got to know at desk always got us a prime location..
yes, the maintenance fees have become a problem for us..when we first bought was $800, but have almost doubled since..
do you have to use Bahamian lawyer and if so why so expensive ??
am going to contact directly to see if I can just surrender back, but don't expect positive response..do you know of any cases where they have taken back ??
thanks for your response moto x

learyfield

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks also to you mr. decadude..
airfare, high cost of vacationing in Nassau [$7 gallon of milk and $50 a case of beer in stores !!] have made this cost prohibitive..just can't suck it up any more and not getting around like we used to.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
there is no set unit I think..67,100 options got us a one bed premium when we used to go..was assingned different unit each time, but a tip to people we got to know at desk always got us a prime location..
yes, the maintenance fees have become a problem for us..when we first bought was $800, but have almost doubled since..
do you have to use Bahamian lawyer and if so why so expensive ??
am going to contact directly to see if I can just surrender back, but don't expect positive response..do you know of any cases where they have taken back ??
thanks for your response moto x

Sounds like you own the small 1 BD in Plat+ Season in Phase II. Phase I was sold as fixed weeks. Some people bought fixed units in both Phases. Phase II is more valuable because it floats within its season.

I am afraid using a Bahamian lawyer is unavoidable and they are expensive because they can.

Giving the unit back to Starwood will most likely not work. They have gone asset light and have become a management company (I.e., they don't want inventory even if they can churn it). They have sold out Harborside and they don't have a large sale force there to keep selling.

You should probably post in the Starwood forum, there are other Harborside owners who might be able to provide some ideas.

Good luck...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You should probably post in the Starwood forum, there are other Harborside owners who might be able to provide some ideas.

A gentle request: To avoid duplicate threads, it's better to ask a Mod to move the thread to the desired forum.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
A gentle request: To avoid duplicate threads, it's better to ask a Mod to move the thread to the desired forum.

Sure, no problem.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Your best strategy is going to be to make sure you get December 24-December 31 reserved. You will have to be up at midnight eastern and it will likely be gone within 3 minutes. If you don't manage to get that one you have one more chance the next night for December 25-January 1. If you can't get one of those 2 reservations I doubt you will get someone willing to pay closing costs and MF's. I doubt you will get any takers before your MF's is due but with one of those reservations you at least have a shot at reimbursement with sale.

Your other option if you get one of those reservations is to immediately put it on Redweek. You should be able to cover your MF and SVN fee and make $300-$500 and still be one of the lower if not the lowest rentals on Redweek for that week and therefore one of the first to rent. I had my 4th of July week rented in less than a week through redweek.

learyfield

TUG Member
Reaction score
well I'm a little confused..
as of now it shows dec 23-29 as not available, but if I want to book earlier in December it says the booking window doe's not open until april..
if I was to try at midnite tonite, would I see availability and what dates could I book, and is it all done online ??
thanks to all..
still trying to figure this all out..

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your last chance is tonight for a Dec 25 check in. You missed the windows for Dec 23 and 24 so if you don't reserve tonight, you will have a shot at Dec 30 and 31 if Starwood makes it available - technically they own week 53 per rules.

Ryan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

learyfield

TUG Member
Reaction score
so at midnite I shoot for dec 25 check in for 7 nites ??
and I do this online ??
thank you sjsharkie

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. If I were in your shoes, this is what I would do.

Online at 9 pm pacific.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk