• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie looking at buying at Lakeshore Marriott

Reaction score
I'm overwhemled. We have a large family and do believe that a timeshare is the way to go. I have heard really solid things from Marriott timeshare owners that it's the company to buy with. So far very positive. The points system seems to make sense & we did get the sales schpeel in Orlando last week. We are looking at buying a 3 bedroom at the Lakeshore property (orlando) that is not built yet- very beautiful-next to Ritz/JW. I'm told that by buying a 3 bedroom, our bargaining power to trade will be easier. We have 3 young kids and it would be nice to have the option of 2 bedroom and banking the rest and/or a large 3 bedroom. 3 bedroom is @ $34K and 2 bedroom with lock-off is $28.4 for platinum time. So here is my question. Are we nuts to do it? I see so many bargains, and yet hear so many nightmare stories. Is this a bad value? We do plan on traveling to other places, and I'm concerned that with a larger family I need as much bargaining power to add to the fact that we will need high season trades. I'm told that 3 bedroom is only in 3% of Interval and that Interval is always anxious for 3 bedroom trades. I don't really understand how to navigate this issue. Thoughts??? I'm very open. Thanks!

summervaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to TUG!! I am relatively new to Timesharing and am no where near the experts on this board but it is a holiday weekend and I did not know what kind of traffic you would see - but you will get lots of advice, so please hang around. It will be well worth your time.

The advice of most on this board is to buy resale, except in certain circumstances, where you buy when the resort is first in development. I own two Marriott's myself and I love them. The first I bought from Marriott and boy do I wish I would have found this board first!! The second I bought resale for $2000!! If you research, you will find that timeshares depreciate considerably immediately after you purchase them and you can often buy them for less than 50% of what you would pay the developer. There are many reputable people who can sell you one, and you can find out who you are by reading on the board. Of course, Grande Lakes would not be available for resale at this time, but there are many others that you could look at.

The only difference between buying from Marriott or buying resale is that you can't trade your week in for points, but you can buy points from Marriott every year if you want to. I personally would never trade my week in for points. I just do not think it is a good trade. I do not want to stay in hotels after staying in timeshares. Not enough room:)

I'm sorry I'm rambling. The best advice I can give you is to hang around TUG and read, read, read. You will find people with tons of knowledge about this and you can read past posts which cover alot of your questions. Remember that if you decide that this deal IS for you, it will still be there once you've made your decision. Good luck and happy vacations!!:whoopie:

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Assume you buy US bond. 34000 * .05 = 1700. I believe Marriott's 3 BD's maintainence fee is over $1000. So are you paying that many on vacation now? Now, when you exchange, you need to add exchange fee and II membership fee. So it is about $3000 every year for exchange. Most people if they have lock-off unit will try to make 2 deposit, so you will be very hard to find decent 3 BD in the exchange pool.

How many times you will be in Orlando? if not once every 2 to 3 years, it does not make it worth that much to own there.

Have you try to see how much it is renting now? (see this thread http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43)

I think you should first seek renting opportunity, than when you have enough cash to pay the resale and have resource to cover the small part of MF in your total travel cost, and see some good opportunity, buy them than.

Jya-Ning

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
Prices as of Nov 6

Here are the prices I recieved today

Attachments

• LAKESHORE_RESERVE_ORLANDO_PRICES_11[1].06.08.pdf
    31.4 KB · Views: 36