• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie, Kings Land

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
Hi all,
So, I did the thing. Bought retail at Kingsland. THEN I went and found this resource, which is great! I can rescind until Monday, which I've been vacillating on based on this forum. Here's how the deal broke down:
$18,025 (which included the week I'm here now) for 7680 points every even year (that probably suits our travel style the best) with maintenance fees of 1,368. It's platinum 1BR at Kingsland (we enjoy this area very much). 21,760 in bonus points (I aimed for 4 weeks of the 1BR gold). Paid it off right away, no financing. I'm aware of the "club fees" annually on top of the MF.

So NOW (of course) I know that resale is the way to go in terms of initial purchase price, but the things that complicate my math are the bonus points (seemed decent) and HGV Max. Max really gets me... it's still not obvious after a couple of days of reading here what it specifically grants. My purchase includes Max and from reading here it also looks like it's $7,000 to add on to resale contracts + some misc fees. I can't tell *which* places Max specifically opens up, and especially the booking window around whatever those places are. As far as I can tell from what I have, it's just the same 9 month window, but I've seen conflicting reports here. For example only, is The Crane only available via Max and not from an older resale HGV contract?

With Max included and the bonus points, the retail price compared to resale + add on Max doesn't seem God-awful. It also seems like Max doesn't transfer with the deed if I ever sold it off.

If I wanted some more points later on, can you pick up a resale contract and mingle those points with the Max points? I wouldn't mind ending up at a premium 1 bedroom point rate eventually. I'm not really concerned about status, either, I don't see this becoming our lifestyle thing. Kind of liked the idea of having a points pool to play with and for the 30 day cash deals from time to time (easy for us, no kids).

Or just scrap it all and pay cash for rentals from time to time?

Unrelated, I found the sales pitch to be low pressure and didn't mind chatting with my guy at all (this was my second pitch from him).

Thanks for any advice, y'all.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I also purchased from HGVC at KingsLand, pre-construction in 2008. It was EOY 2br gold season 8700 old points, $16,500. I also received 20k bonus points.

I joined TUG shortly after and learned how to make the best of it, too late to rescind. I eventually purchased a 2 br platinum premier unit resale at KL for $14k, and sold the EOY to offset the cost.

I am much happier with the higher point 2br at 23040 points, at $2100 annual fee including club dues I can stay three or more weeks in your one bedroom during gold season, so $100 a night. Your 7680 points may soon seem inadequate, and that's when your friendly sales guy will encourage you to upgrade, it's HGV strategy.

Only one chance to rescind and investigate resale.

Paying cash open season is an option, but those are usually short duration 2-3 days, you will rarely see a week available at 30 days. If I'm flying to Hawaii I want to stay at least 10 days.

MAX is still an unknown, 6 month booking into the HVC/DRI properties. DRI owners can book much earlier, so don't expect a lot of high demand units to be available at 6 months. Hilton is in the process of upgrading some of the properties, some are probably 3*, not HGVC 4/5*.

Welcome to TUG, take your time learning about resale and HGVC system.

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
First off, I would recommend that you rescind. Those MFs are very high for the number of points you are getting. You are also paying too much for that 1BR EOY. I suspect that you could get that unit for free on ebay but I did find these listings for a lot less and more points:
Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 5.37.03 PM.png

The bonus points will go away after two years. You did get a very large amount. I would put that amount of bonus points worth $2100. If you used those bonus points to pay for MFs, they would be worth $1360.

Most of us don't think that HgvMax is worth the price. We also haven't been able to enroll in HgvMax for $7000 even though it is in the rules. So far, I don't want anything to do with HgvMax. I believe that I would actually lose some elite benefits. Plus, all indications are that you will be getting left-over units with little availability in former DRI properties. I don't understand the interest because I certainly wasn't interested in DRI properties before the merger.

Here is a thread titled MAX-now that it’s operational, how is it and why would I want it?

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
That's good feedback. I am having a hard time attaching a value to Max because I just can't concretely pin down what it actually gives beyond the vagaries of "more properties", like which ones? If it's super great, I don't mind the idea but it still sounds like it's a developing idea. Swallowing retail is a bit easier if it's a great product.

I was a touch cavalier in picking the points, not realizing that the 1BR basic rooms have the lanai facing the parking lot. We like the resort, but I'm not sure I love that layout. A heap more points probably doesn't help out a ton, (despite the objectively better value) since we typically are more into adventure travel (we backpack a lot) and picking spots comes down to the opportunity cost of where else we could stay/do, but a resort every few years somewhere nice is a pretty sweet.

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
Here is a thread titled MAX-now that it’s operational, how is it and why would I want it?
Thanks for that, will give me some reading to do in the airport. Been trying to digest the Max discussions here, so good links are most welcome!

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
First off, I would recommend that you rescind. Those MFs are very high for the number of points you are getting. You are also paying too much for that 1BR EOY. I suspect that you could get that unit for free on ebay but I did find these listings for a lot less and more points:
View attachment 76090
Which site were you using to find these? I Looked at Tug2, but if there are others you recommend, I'm all ears!

Last edited:

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if they are being intentionally vague about Max as a strategy for the property concierges to talk owners into attending updates. "Oh, some new Max info just came out March 1, you should attend the update in order to find out how it benefits you!"

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Which site were you using to find these?
I tried to use https://www.timeshareprofessionals.com/ (judik.com) but that website got an error when filtering.

Look at this one because it has exactly what you bought for $1500:

This is Diane Nadeau (trusted HGVC broker)

The one which I used in the previous post was Seth Nock (another resale HGVC recommendation)

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I'm starting to wonder if they are being intentionally vague about Max as a strategy for the property concierge's to talk owners into attending updates. "Oh, some new Max info just came out March 1, you should attend the update in order to find out how it benefits you!"
Yes, I get this statement almost every time when I check in to most HGVC resorts (which is around 7 times per year) from the concierges. I would suspect that the most recent change to HgvMax program is 12 European property additions and Embarc property additions. I don't know anything about the European property additionals except I believe they are/were part of DRI. We all know that the Embarc properties are high quality and would be great. But from the information that we received here just recently, I suspect that you will see very little inventory in HgvMax.

I think another strategy is to keep this as confusing as possible implementing FOMO factor to the maximum. Honestly, I am having a hard time keeping up. I certainly understand how newbies are struggling.

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
I suspect you are right on the FOMO part. I'm struggling to attach value to Max because it's vague, but fear that I'll miss out by bit going resell. Kind of like their "you have to buy now or you'll miss it." There's a lot of fear baked into their sales playbook. I suspect that I don't need it since you all don't seem to need it and you are experts at this.

Is there a definitive list of HGV vs Max properties somewhere? This would be enormously helpful to me if so.

I was told that you don't get access to cash deals if you buy resell, but from what I read here, that's simply not accurate. Am I correct in that understanding?

It very much seems that these things are completely fungible, I wonder if they are trying to find a way to make resell vs retail less so.

Thanks for the list of broker properties, that's awesome. Far better values than retail! Although I'm surprised at the different asking prices for what appear to be similar properties. Probably seller motivation, I suppose.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I was told that you don't get access to cash deals
false, resale gets the same Open Season as retail. (but that has been stated in sales meeting many times.)

Is there a definitive list of HGV vs Max properties somewhere?
I will see what I can find. But I think a better plan would be to discuss where you want to go. Another problem is that Newbies don't understand TS inventory. Booking (using your points) isn't like booking a hotel (1-2 months before travel dates). We are generally booking when the club season opens (9-months {specifically 276 days} before the check-out date for the best availability. Now if you are thinking of skiing then you really need to own there and use your HW (home week booking).

What I am trying to tell you is that TS companies are showing you locations (dots on a map) but that doesn't mean you will be able to book there.

Remember, a retail deal will be available later (like what is the rush to purchase today). You could also buy resale (but I would recommend researching first - like a few months) and purchasing retail later should you think that you need HgvMax.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
HGV Max Properties (former DRI properties.

United States​

ARIZONA​

• Cave Creek, AZ - Rancho Mañana, a Hilton Vacation Club
  • Payson, AZ - Kohl's Ranch Lodge
  • Pinetop, AZ - PVC at The Roundhouse Resort
  • Scottsdale, AZ - Scottsdale Links Resort, a Hilton Vacation Club
  • Scottsdale, AZ - Scottsdale Villa Mirage, a Hilton Vacation Club
  • Sedona, AZ - Ridge on Sedona, a Hilton Vacation Club
  • Sedona, AZ - Sedona Summit, a Hilton Vacation Club
  • Sedona, AZ - Bell Rock Inn
  • Sedona, AZ - Los Abrigados Resort and Spa
  • Tucson, AZ - Varsity Clubs of America - Tucson

CALIFORNIA​

• Avila, CA - San Luis Bay Inn
  • Capistrano Beach, CA - Riviera Beach Resort
  • Capistrano Beach, CA - Riviera Shores Resort
  • Palm Springs, CA - Palm Canyon Resort
  • Ramona, CA - Riviera Oaks Resort & Racquet Club
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA - Hilton Vacation Club Lake Tahoe Resort
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA - Tahoe Seasons Resort

COLORADO​

• Estes Park, CO - The Historic Crags Lodge

FLORIDA - ATLANTIC​

• Daytona Beach, FL - Daytona Beach Regency
  • Miami Beach, FL - Crescent on South Beach, a Hilton Vacation Club
  • Ormond Beach, FL - The Cove on Ormond Beach

FLORIDA - ORLANDO​

• Celebration, FL - Mystic Dunes, a Hilton Vacation Club
  • Kissimmee, FL - Alhambra at Poinciana
  • Kissimmee, FL - Barefoot'n Resort
  • Kissimmee, FL - Orbit One Vacation
  • Kissimmee, FL - Parkway International Resort
  • Kissimmee, FL - Polynesian Isles
  • Orlando, FL - Bryan's Spanish Cove
  • Orlando, FL - Cypress Pointe Resort
  • Orlando, FL - Grand Beach
  • Orlando, FL - Grande Villas Resort
  • Winter Garden, FL - Liki Tiki Village

FLORIDA - GULF​

• Naples, FL - Charter Club Resort of Naples Bay

HAWAII - KAUAI​

• Koloa, Kauai, HI - The Point at Poipu, a Hilton Vacation Club

HAWAII - MAUI​

• Lahaina, Maui, HI - Ka'anapali Beach Club

HAWAII - OAHU​

• Honolulu, Oahu, HI - The Modern Honolulu

INDIANA​

• Mishawaka, IN - Varsity Clubs of America - South Bend

MISSOURI​

• Branson, MO - The Suites at Fall Creek

NEVADA - LAS VEGAS​

• Las Vegas, NV - Cancun Las Vegas, a Hilton Vacation Club
  • Las Vegas, NV - Polo Towers, a Hilton Vacation Club
  • Las Vegas, NV - Desert Paradise Resort

NEW MEXICO​

• Santa Fe, NM - Villas de Santa Fe

NORTH CAROLINA​

• Kitty Hawk, NC - Beachwoods Resort
  • Sapphire, NC - Fairway Forest Resort

TENNESSEE​

• Gatlinburg, TN - Bent Creek Golf Village
  • Pigeon Forge, TN - Sunrise Ridge Resort

UTAH​

• Brian Head, UT - Cedar Breaks Lodge and Spa

VIRGINIA​

• Virginia Beach, VA - Ocean Beach Club, a Hilton Vacation Club
  • Virginia Beach, VA - Oceanaire, a Hilton Vacation Club
  • Virginia Beach, VA - Beach Quarters Resort
  • Virginia Beach, VA - Boardwalk Resort and Villas
  • Virginia Beach, VA - Turtle Cay Resort
  • Williamsburg, VA - The Historic Powhatan, a Hilton Vacation Club
  • Williamsburg, VA - Greensprings Vacation Resort

International​

MEXICO​

• Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, Mexico - Cabo Azul, a Hilton Vacation Club

SINT MAARTEN​

• Philipsburg, St. Maarten, Neth. Antilles - Flamingo Beach, a Hilton Vacation Club
  • Philipsburg, St. Maarten, Neth. Antilles - Royal Palm, a Hilton Vacation Club

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
bookable with HGVC

United States​

CALIFORNIA​

• Carlsbad, CA - MarBrisa, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Carlsbad, CA - Carlsbad Seapointe Resort
  • Carlsbad, CA - Grand Pacific Palisades Resort
  • Club Donatello - San Francisco, CA (Out-of-network)

COLORADO​

• Breckenridge, CO - Valdoro Mountain Lodge, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club

FLORIDA - ATLANTIC​

• South Beach, FL - McAlpin Ocean Plaza, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Stuart, FL - Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation Resort

FLORIDA - ORLANDO​

• Orlando, FL - Las Palmeras, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Orlando, FL - Parc Soleil, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Orlando, FL - SeaWorld® Orlando, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Orlando, FL - Tuscany Village, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club

FLORIDA - GULF​

• Captiva Island, FL - Harbourview Villas at South Seas Island Resort
  • Captiva Island, FL - Plantation Bay Villas at South Seas Island Resort
  • Captiva Island, FL - Plantation Beach Club at South Seas Island Resort
  • Captiva Island, FL - Plantation House at South Seas Island Resort
  • Captiva Island, FL - South Seas Club at South Seas Island Resort
  • Captiva Island, FL - The Cottages at South Seas Island Resort
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL - Seawatch On-the-Beach Resort
  • Marco Island, FL - Club Regency of Marco Island
  • Marco Island, FL - Eagle's Nest Beach Resort
  • Marco Island, FL - Sunset Cove Resort
  • Marco Island, FL - The Charter Club of Marco Beach®
  • Marco Island, FL - The Surf Club of Marco
  • Sanibel Island, FL - Casa Ybel Resort
  • Sanibel Island, FL - Hurricane House
  • Sanibel Island, FL - Sanibel Cottages Resort
  • Sanibel Island, FL - Shell Island Beach Club Resort
  • Sanibel Island, FL - Tortuga Beach Club Resort

HAWAII - BIG ISLAND​

• Waikoloa, Big Island, HI - Kings’ Land, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Waikoloa, Big Island, HI - Kohala Suites, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Waikoloa, Big Island, HI - Ocean Tower, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Waikoloa, Big Island, HI - The Bay Club, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club

HAWAII - MAUI​

• Lahaina, Maui, HI - Maui Bay Villas, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club

HAWAII - OAHU​

• Honolulu, Oahu, HI - Grand Waikikian, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Honolulu, Oahu, HI - Hokulani Waikiki, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Honolulu, Oahu, HI - Kalia Suites, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Honolulu, Oahu, HI - Lagoon Tower, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Honolulu, Oahu, HI - The Grand Islander, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Honolulu, Oahu, HI - The Penthouses at Grand Waikikian, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Honolulu, Oahu, HI - The Penthouses at The Grand Islander, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club

ILLINOIS - CHICAGO​

• Chicago, IL - Chicago Magnificent Mile, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club

NEVADA - LAS VEGAS​

• Las Vegas, NV - Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Las Vegas, NV - Flamingo, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Las Vegas, NV - Paradise, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Las Vegas, NV - The Boulevard, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Las Vegas, NV - Trump International Hotel Las Vegas, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club

NEW YORK​

• New York, NY - The Central at 5th, a Hilton Club
  • New York, NY - The Hilton Club - New York (Note: Ownership Required)
  • New York, NY - The Penthouses at The Quin, a Hilton Club
  • New York, NY - The Quin, a Hilton Club
  • New York, NY - The Residences, a Hilton Club
  • New York, NY - West 57th Street, a Hilton Club

SOUTH CAROLINA​

• Charleston, SC - Liberty Place Charleston, a Hilton Club
  • Hilton Head Island, SC - Ocean Oak Resort, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Myrtle Beach, SC - Anderson Ocean Club, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Myrtle Beach, SC - Ocean 22, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Myrtle Beach, SC - Ocean Enclave, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club

UTAH​

• Park City, UT - Sunrise Lodge, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club

WASHINGTON, D.C.​

• Washington, DC - The District, a Hilton Club

International​

BARBADOS​

• Crane, St. Philip, Barbados - The Crane, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club

ITALY​

• Selvatelles, Pisa, Italy - Borgo alle Vigne, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club

JAPAN​

• Ashigarashimogun, Kanagawa, Japan - Hotel Harvest Hakone Myoujindai (Out-of-network)
  • Atami, Shizuoka, Japan - Hotel Harvest Atami Izusan (Out-of-network)
  • Chino, Nagano, Japan - Hotel Harvest Tateshina (Out-of-network)
  • Hakone, Kanagawa, Japan - Hotel Harvest Hakone Hisui (Out-of-network)
  • Hakone, Kanagawa, Japan - Hotel Harvest Hakone Koshien (Out-of-network)
  • Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, Japan - Hotel Harvest Hamanako (Out-of-network)
  • Ito, Shizuoka, Japan - Hotel Harvest Ito (Out-of-network)
  • Izu, Shizuoka, Japan - Hotel Harvest Amagi Kogen (Out-of-network)
  • Kamiminochi, Nagano, Japan - Hotel Tangram (Hotel Harvest) (Out-of-network)
  • Katsuyama, Fukui, Japan - Hotel Harvest Ski Jam Katsuyama (Out-of-network)
  • Kitaku, Kitaku Kyoto-Shi Kyoto-Fu, Japan - Hotel Harvest Kyoto Takagamine (Out-of-network)
  • Kitasaku, Nagano, Japan - Hotel Harvest Kyu-Karuizawa (Out-of-network)
  • Kitasakugun, Nagano, Japan - Hotel Harvest Karuizawa (Out-of-network)
  • Kobe, Hyogo, Japan - Hotel Harvest Arima Rokusai (Out-of-network)
  • Motobu-cho, Kunigami-gun, Okinawa, Japan - The Beach Resort Sesoko, a Hilton Club
  • Nasu, Tochigi, Japan - Hotel Harvest Nasu (Out-of-network)
  • Nikko, Tochigi, Japan - Hotel Harvest Kinugawa (Out-of-network)
  • Odawara-shi, Kanagawa, Japan - The Bay Forest Odawara, a Hilton Club
  • Tanabe, Wakayama, Japan - Hotel Harvest Nanki Tanabe (Out-of-network)
  • Yama, Fukushima, Japan - Urabandai Grandeco Tokyu Hotel (Hotel Harvest) (Out-of-network)

MEXICO​

• Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico - Fiesta Americana Villas Acapulco (Out-of-network)
  • Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico - The Grand Mayan Acapulco (Out-of-network)
  • Cabo del Sol, Baja California Sur, Mexico - Fiesta Americana Villas Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf and Spa Resort (Out-of-network)
  • Cabo del Sol, Baja California Sur, Mexico - Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf and Spa (Out-of-network)
  • Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico - Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun (Out-of-network)
  • Chetumal, Quintana Roo, Mexico - The Explorean Kohunlich (Out-of-network)
  • Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico - Fiesta Americana Cozumel All Inclusive Resort (Out-of-network)
  • Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico - The Explorean Cozumel (Out-of-network)
  • Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, Mexico - La Pacifica Los Cabos, a Hilton Club
  • Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit, Mexico - Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta (Out-of-network)
  • Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit, Mexico - The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta (Out-of-network)
  • Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Mexico - Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya (Out-of-network)
  • Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Mexico - The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya (Out-of-network)
  • Zona Hotelera, Cancun, Mexico - Fiesta Americana Condesa Cancun All Inclusive (Out-of-network)

PORTUGAL​

• Vilamoura, Portugal - Vilamoura, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club

SCOTLAND​

• Aviemore, Scotland, Great Britain And Northern Ireland - Coylumbridge Highland Lodges
  • Ballater, Scotland, Great Britain And Northern Ireland - Craigendarroch Lodges, Managed by Hilton Grand Vacations
  • Ballater, Scotland, Great Britain And Northern Ireland - Craigendarroch Suites, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Dunkeld, Scotland, Great Britain And Northern Ireland - Dunkeld House Lodges, Managed by Hilton Grand Vacations

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
false, resale gets the same Open Season as retail. (but that has been stated in sales meeting many times.)

What I am trying to tell you is that TS companies are showing you locations (dots on a map) but that doesn't mean you will be able to book there.
Thanks for confirming that. I suspect it was deliberately misleading in the pitch about the Open Season, because what else are they going to say about why you shouldn't do resale (which was my question).

As to where we want to go, The Crane stood out as well as some Mexican properties like the couple in Cabo. I just can't tell if they are HGV or Max.

I did suspect that availability is a challenge in general, I picked up on that from reading here (what a great resource this is). That was one of the reasons that Kings Land stood out to us, just for the home week booking window every couple years. If it works out to try something else, then great, otherwise not heartbroken. If we need somewhere specific, there's always traditional booking.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I told you about booking HGVC properties (9-month mark). In HgvMax, you are allowed to book the HVC/former DRI properties starting at 6-month mark. HVC/DRI members are allowed to book their properties > 10-month mark so you will only get what is left. I truly believe a lot of HgvMax members from both sides are going to get frustrated (eg, there isn't any availability where I want to go and when I want to go).

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
bookable with HGVC
This is amazing. Absolutely what I was wondering. If you don't mind, is that something that is linkable? (Teach a person to fish kinda thing)

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
I told you about booking HGVC properties (9-month mark). In HgvMax, you are allowed to book the HVC/former DRI properties starting at 6-month mark. HVC/DRI members are allowed to book their properties > 10-month mark so you will only get what is left. I truly believe a lot of HgvMax members from both sides are going to get frustrated (eg, there isn't any availability where I want to go and when I want to go).
In my mind, this is probably the single biggest reason that Max seems of extremely limited value to me. A big list of things you can't use doesn't add a lot of value (to me!)

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The Crane and Mexico such as La Pacifica (bHC) along with Fiesta Americana-Cabo is HGVC. DRI also has a property in Cabo, Cabo Azul. That from what I have read is DRI best property.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
If you don't mind, is that something that is linkable?

I would have done that but I got it from logging into my HGVC account. I figured you wouldn't get to this link.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
That was one of the reasons that Kings Land stood out to us, just for the home week booking window every couple years.
btw, KL (all Big Island resorts) is one of the easier resorts to book in the system during club season. You don't need to own there to go there. But some people do recommend that you own where you want to go also.

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
I would have done that but I got it from logging into my HGVC account. I figured you wouldn't get to this link.

I was wondering about that. It's a touch frustrating how much information they hide from folks before they actually buy in. Thanks again. I'm going to rescind for sure. Everything I'd be currently interested in, other than Cabo Azul, is in HGV. What a great resource you are, thank you much.

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
Mostly unrelated to the questions at hand, how do you handle odd numbers of unused points? If you get left with, say, 2000 points in a year, is there a preferred strategy? Not enough to get a room, it seems. I'll do some more research on that on these forums, but if you've got a preference, I'd love to hear it.

ABCTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
We recently made an HGVC purchase and found TUG the day after we were eligible to rescind, so we own our HGVC deed now, but we would have rescinded and bought resale if we were one day earlier. I encourage you to strongly consider doing that ASAP and getting the home resort deed you actually want because that is the one booking you will get to make every (other) year. All the other reservations will be space available at 9 months from the check-out date.

Things to consider- EVERY year deed doesn't mean you have to travel every year- you can bank points for a FEE or borrow for FREE and have double the points for either a longer stay somewhere or a bigger unit. However, your maintenance fee will be every year, so that aspect must be considered.

HGVC Max club dues are much higher (~$291) than without Max-- and those we pay every year whether we have points or not.

Max allows you to access the former Daimond properties at the 6-month before a check-out window. We are using this to get a 2 bedroom for a week even though we only own a 1 bedroom at HGVC. It's about 4000 points for the two-bedroom at Powhattan. We chose to do this because we get more mileage out of our points by trading "down" in the property category. We are also able to be flexible when/where we travel and our most desirable travel dates are not connected to school vacations so we're not super concerned by the 6-month booking limitation, but time will tell whether this works for us or not.

Embarc properties are not available to us. We have to book as normal hotel reservations (or use Honors points) to stay there.

Finally, those bonus points can't be combined with club points for booking so you need to consider how many vacations you can realistically take in the next two years because they will expire then unless you use them to pay your maintenance fee, etc. We are actually hitting a wall in this area due to some complicating factors in our situation. You have a large number, I give you credit for negotiating that many bonus points.

Our tour weasel was super nice too, and now that I've uncovered numerous misleading statements he made to our faces, I just see him as a liar. I will never speak to him again.

Good luck to you! I'll try to watch this post to be sure to answer any other questions from a newbie's perspective.

ABCTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
Regarding the leftovers, we'll end the year with 4000 points so we'll save them this time but our goal is to burn through those bonus points and then move to being a borrower so we never have leftovers again.

ABCTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara

Exactly!! This is how the weasel hooked us.