• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

newbie interested in RCI points questions

hdchuck

TUG Member
Reaction score
First let me say thanks to everyone here. I have learned much and enjoyed reading the information so far.

I have no timeshare experience. What I want to do is buy some RCI points. I am looking for about 45,000 points with a good maint fee ($400 or less). As i understand it with RCI points it does not matter where the home resort is "points are points" is this correct? I can get a better deal on a points package at a resort I do not plan to use, but are there any downsides to this approach?

Or would I be better served to pay a higher maint fee at a resort I may want to use?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Chuck

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
You're Smart To Watch Out For Those Fees.

On a per-point basis, we're paying way too much in annual fees -- $330 -- for our annual injection of points (15,000) at a resort there's little chance we'll actually want to go to.

But we paid so little for our 15,000-point eBay resale points timeshare in the 1st place ($152.50) that we can afford several years' worth of those resort fees with the money we saved by buying such a cheap week.

We were more interested in joining points in a small-potatoes way so that we could do points for deposit (if we choose) with the RCI-affiliated weeks we already owned at non-points timeshare resorts.

And we are more interested in partial-week reservations & economical Instant Exchange reservations than in week-long stays at fancy-pants resorts where a reservation takes lots & lots of points.

So far, it has worked out fine -- but we're only 3 months into our points plunge, so the final analysis has not yet been done (& won't be for a while longer).

If we're still as satisfied with points in 3 years as we have been with timeshares overall after our initial 3 years as weeks owners, then we will have nothing to complain about.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

hdchuck

TUG Member
Reaction score
mases a lot of sense

I hadn't thought of it that way.. I have been looking for low maint fee per point with less consideration to purchase price. If you saved....say $1000 on purchase price that pays a lot of additional mf's.

So there is no underling reason that you know of to select a resort that you actually want to stay at....other than that you can use it without a reservation fee.

Chuck

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Points Are Points

hdchuck said:
So there is no underling reason that you know of to select a resort that you actually want to stay at....other than that you can use it without a reservation fee.
We just wanted to get into points for as little outlay as possible. If the resort happened to be close by, so we could go there on a day-trip basis as owners (to use the pool, work-out room, etc., as a perquisite of ownership), or if it's near a favored vacation spot, those would just be fringe benefits. (Ours isn't -- we get no fringe benefits, just the points.)

In my view, once it all boils down to fully interchangeable points, that puts all the pluses & minuses of the entire transaction on a dollars & cents basis. That is, since points are points, who cares about resort amenities, high-, medium-, or low-season, location, or any other factor besides the most points per dollar & the lowest maintenance fee per point?

In fact, a developer's sales pitch was put to us almost but not quite that bluntly earlier this month in Orlando FL -- & the resort's management strategy seemed to go hand in hand with that (few on-site features other than nice pools & hot spas, minimal activities, big attractive suites, lots of points, moderate fees).

Even so, the lowest bottom line they came up with would have cost us about $9,950 for some alternate-year arrangement.

When they're selling points, it puts'm on the spot if they have to show the advantages of buying at their resort instead of someplace else.

At 1 points sales pitch last month, they were going to throw in 2 "bonus vacations" per year -- for how long, I don't know (indefinitely, I guess). At another points sales pitch, they were going to throw in 3, 4, 5, 6 -- I don't know how many -- luxury cruises.

The Chief Of Staff showed signs of being tempted there for a while, but in the end we decided to stand pat with our dinky points timeshare & our paid-for weeks timeshares.

If we want cruises, we can shop for bargains on our own.

If we want bonus vacations, we can see what's available among the dogs & cats of RCI Last Call.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

Last edited:

Noelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Domestic Points - I had the same question.

FWIW See the conversation on Timeshare Forums when I was researching points - some of the suggestions were helpful and I eventually made a decision that met my needs very well.

Latest update is that Land of Canaan for a limited time has been running a special sale on their Blue weeks - $500 for the points and then with a single conversion fee for multiple purchases, your costs per point to purchase and to maintain (m/f $320/week)will be very competitive with some of the other points options (such as Australian timeshares),

http://www.timeshareforums.com/showthread.php?t=2529