• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

newbie interested in buying a timeshare in western/s western US

OLDWESTBUFF

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Wife and I in our 50's, looking to buy a timeshare in the western/southwestern US. We like that region (we are from PA), I am a big old west history buff and our plan as of now is to be snowbirds to that region. We would like to buy an every year, deeded timeshare (I think I am leaning toward a week vs. points) red season, so we can leave it to our kids. I searched before asking, didn't find another post but being new, maybe I wasn't phrasing it right. Anyhow, my question to those of you who travelled this area, have stayed in timeshares in this area, what would your suggestions be for resorts that meet the above criteria? What in your opinions was the nicest western/s. western resort be? I should also say we are not skiiers, we like warmer places for the winter, we do like to horseback ride, hike, etc. I would appreciate any input, suggestions, I am learning and want to learn as much as possible being committing. THANKS, Jeff

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at Worldmark. It is a point-based system, with no additional costs for booking. Inexpensive to buy (resale of course), with very reasonable maintenance fees. It has more than 90 locations in the West coast. We owned it for 4 years, sold it and we are now looking at getting into Worldmark again because we seriously miss Worldmark. We own lots of Marriott Vacation Club timeshare, both weeks and points. Marriott resorts are of higher quality but acquisition costs and maintenance fees are much more than Worldmark.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe take a look at the Hyatt Residence Club system. HRC has a nice resort in Sedona, with very low maintenance fees (about $1300/month). They are deeded weeks, meaning your week at and unit in your home resort are guaranteed every year if you want them, or you can convert them to HRC points and trade to other HRC resorts, including nice resorts in Lake Tahoe, Colorado, Florida, Carmel, California, and even the crown jewel of HRC, Kaanapali Maui. Maintenance fees are the SAME amount no matter what season you buy (Diamond, Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze), so the better season you buy, the more bang you get for you MF buck. If you don't want to use your deeded week and choose to convert it to HRC points, you will get 2200 points for a diamond season week, 2000 points for platinum, 1880 points for gold, and 1400 points for silver. I forget how many for bronze. You should buy a diamond week or at least platinum to get the most possible points for the same maintenance fee. Also, if you don't want to stay in one of the HRC resorts, you can deposit your HRC points to Interval International and get EXCELLENT trading power back. @ScoopKona usually trades his gold points for up to 3 weeks in nice resorts through II. This is the best system I have found for our family.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I live in the San Diego area ("South West US"). We do a bunch of "drive-to" vacations. So, I'll share our typical SW US drive-to vacation spots:

1. Palm Desert - one of the best warm spots in the winter. Lots of timeshares.
2. Marriott Newport Coast (plus there are timeshares in Laguna Beach, Capistrano, etc.)
3. Marriott Phoenix (there are a lot of other non-Marriotts too)
4. Marriott Timberlodge (Lake Tahoe). There are also a bunch of non-Marriotts. But it isn't "warmer in the winter". Nice in the summer.
5. Sedona, Az. In the winter, they might get some snow, but it only stays a day or two. Our favorite is Hyatt Pinon point, but we've also been to others. I've been there in February and the daytime temps were in the 60's.
6. Tucson - There is a Shell Vacation Club there that is nice
7. Ventura Ca. - there are a few nice timeshares along the coast including Avila Beach, etc.
8. Napa and Clearlake Ca. - wine country. Not terribly warm in the winter but warmer than Chicago. Ha ha. One of the nicer timeshares is Vino Bello in Napa which is with Shell/Worldmark.
9. San Diego - there are a bunch of timeshares here. You can't get much further SW (continental US that is). The temps in the winter can be nice, especially at some of the inland resorts (Welk/Hyatt, Ramona). Being by the ocean is nice but it can sometimes be a little cool in the winter.

Me? I own 3-1/2 weeks in Palm Desert (Marriott) and have exchanged into all of the above (except San Diego, where I live).

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Speaking from experience, do NOT put your children on any timeshare contract. Your idea of a great vacation may not be theirs when they reach that point in their lives. Also, doing so could saddle them with annual maintenance fees that they may not be able to (or want to) afford or may not have a use for.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I would recommend Worldmark because of the many locations and ease to unload the membership should no one want it.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Add me to the Worldmark recco. Plus NOT putting the kids' names on the ownership. Plenty of time to do that later if the desire is there, but make sure they want it's obligation first.

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Hi Jeff
You are planning well and Timesharing is a great way to travel and indeed, I think Worldmark is the company to use in the West. We purchased Wyndham since we lived in Ohio and as they are mainly on the East Coast , we wished we had Worldmark since we live now in Washington. You may check our BLOG out to see how you can travel with Timesharing ( we were full time for 7 years) , although it hasn’t been added to since the pandemic. . We did spend weeks in CA timeshares when our grandson was in college in LA.
Have you been to some timeshares yet, especially in the West? Read the reviews to to get ideas which company you might like to you go with.
I’ll write you more in a Conversation.
Joan of ‘ronandjoan’

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I will also recommend WorldMark for timeshares in the no-longer-all-that-wild west.

I am also a big history buff, but my favorite is always Williamsburg/Yorktown/ Jamestown.

vikingsholm

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd echo several from above:

1. Worldmark

2. Marriott

3. Hyatt Sedona

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I would maybe add Scottsdale to your list. Nice and warm during the winter. There is plenty of hiking and outdoors activities (I personally love hiking up Camelback Mountain). I haven’t done any horseback riding there, but there are plenty of places with stables out back within city limits - so it does seem to be part of the culture. It definitely has an old west vibe in parts of the city.

If you are okay with a week, you can get a cheap (nearly free) Sheraton Desert Oasis week that books any week of the year (you’ll need to book 12 months out if you want a spring training week). Maintenance fees are quite reasonable.

Westin Kierland is also a popular choice. It is much more expensive to buy in ($15k+ For a platinum week), but with it you will get StarOptions that can be used to book into other Vistana resorts - including Maui. Maintenance fees are a bit higher.

Four Seasons is a very nice resort (with high MF). Marriott also has Canyon Villas in the greater phoenix area. Worldmark also has options. I don’t have experience with these last few resorts, but they get mentioned frequently on TUG.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
You can’t go wrong with a fixed summer week in Carlsbad, CA. As of right now there is a FREE Grand Pacific Palisades fixed week 26 for sale on Redweek. If you have kids this would be a great resort especially for no money other than closing costs. I have never before seen a free fixed summer week at GPP.

Disclosure - not my ad on Redweek but I do own a fixed week 30 at GPP.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Before moving from Las Vegas, drive-to Southwest trips were half our vacations. My thoughts:

1) Sedona -- not for the hippie-dippy new-age mystic crystals. But because the towns of Jerome and Cottonwood are great for Old West Buffs.
2) Payson, AZ -- not someplace you'd want to own, but someplace to trade into. High elevation desert, which was an improvement on Las Vegas summers.
3) Brian Head, UT -- It's a ski resort in Southern Utah that caters to Las Vegans who don't want to drive all the way to Salt Lake. Visit in the summer and there is plenty of Utah to see.
4) In terms of "Hard to Get," New Mexico. I never lucked out and found a week which worked for me. Not much inventory there, either.
5) And as much as I dislike Las Vegas, it's a great home-base for day trips to Death Valley, Oatman AZ, Zion National Park, and similar.

I'd probably buy something in Sedona. I could visit Jerome and Cottonwood anytime. They're both great. Sedona itself is lovely. And if you can avoid Madame Shakra's "mystic crystal revelations," has plenty of amenities for visitors.

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
They say to buy a place where you would want to go every year and then you could still trade it for some other vacation times. That is the advantage of a points system: with that type of ownership. there are many resorts to choose from as “home” resorts.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Hi everyone. Wife and I in our 50's, looking to buy a timeshare in the western/southwestern US. We like that region (we are from PA), I am a big old west history buff and our plan as of now is to be snowbirds to that region. We would like to buy an every year, deeded timeshare (I think I am leaning toward a week vs. points) red season, so we can leave it to our kids. I searched before asking, didn't find another post but being new, maybe I wasn't phrasing it right. Anyhow, my question to those of you who travelled this area, have stayed in timeshares in this area, what would your suggestions be for resorts that meet the above criteria? What in your opinions was the nicest western/s. western resort be? I should also say we are not skiiers, we like warmer places for the winter, we do like to horseback ride, hike, etc. I would appreciate any input, suggestions, I am learning and want to learn as much as possible being committing. THANKS, Jeff

What is your definition of nicest? If it is 4.5 stars, then Four Seasons Aviara in Carlsberg north of San Diego could be a fit and it exchanges with Scottsdale. If 4 star, then one of the Marriotts or Hyatts could be good. I am not sure about Worldmark since I have never been to any of their properties.

Also you did not mention how much you want to spend upfront and in maintenance fees. That would help with recommendations.

Someone mentioned Avila Beach. It is one of my favorite parts of California. I have no idea what timeshare is there. A negative to anything on the Central Coast of CA is there is no major airport nearby.

OLDWESTBUFF

Reaction score
They say to buy a place where you would want to go every year and then you could still trade it for some other vacation times. That is the advantage of a points system: with that type of ownership. there are many resorts to choose from as “home” resorts.
Thanks for the advice Joan and everyone. Still learning, researching, talking. Joan I added your blog to my favorites and will be looking.

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Mountainside, Worldmark, Ridge Tahoe
If cost isn’t an issue, go with Marriott. If it is, go with Worldmark. I have both and like both systems, just Worldmark is inexpensive to buy, MANY resorts and did I mention BONUS TIME!!!!! $100 a night for a 1bdrm tahoe ski season!!!

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Mountainside, Worldmark, Ridge Tahoe
Worldmark has amazing trading power with II. I traded 3 times into 1 1 bedroom at the Grand Lodge at Peak 7. With exchange fees, and all dues it was about $125 a night. Google the resort!!! Worldmark is a GREAT trader. It’s not a TOP trader, but it does Very well.