• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG is asking for recent reviews of older resorts, earn a free year membership!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $18,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $18 Million dollars
  • We would love it if you would take a few minutes to participate in our Timeshare Survey Here there is no need to register or sign up for anything, just answer the questions online! We hope this survey will provide some fascinating answers to questions about Timesharing!
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 50,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

newbie interested in buying a timeshare in western/s western US

OLDWESTBUFF

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Wife and I in our 50's, looking to buy a timeshare in the western/southwestern US. We like that region (we are from PA), I am a big old west history buff and our plan as of now is to be snowbirds to that region. We would like to buy an every year, deeded timeshare (I think I am leaning toward a week vs. points) red season, so we can leave it to our kids. I searched before asking, didn't find another post but being new, maybe I wasn't phrasing it right. Anyhow, my question to those of you who travelled this area, have stayed in timeshares in this area, what would your suggestions be for resorts that meet the above criteria? What in your opinions was the nicest western/s. western resort be? I should also say we are not skiiers, we like warmer places for the winter, we do like to horseback ride, hike, etc. I would appreciate any input, suggestions, I am learning and want to learn as much as possible being committing. THANKS, Jeff

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at Worldmark. It is a point-based system, with no additional costs for booking. Inexpensive to buy (resale of course), with very reasonable maintenance fees. It has more than 90 locations in the West coast. We owned it for 4 years, sold it and we are now looking at getting into Worldmark again because we seriously miss Worldmark. We own lots of Marriott Vacation Club timeshare, both weeks and points. Marriott resorts are of higher quality but acquisition costs and maintenance fees are much more than Worldmark.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe take a look at the Hyatt Residence Club system. HRC has a nice resort in Sedona, with very low maintenance fees (about $1300/month). They are deeded weeks, meaning your week at and unit in your home resort are guaranteed every year if you want them, or you can convert them to HRC points and trade to other HRC resorts, including nice resorts in Lake Tahoe, Colorado, Florida, Carmel, California, and even the crown jewel of HRC, Kaanapali Maui. Maintenance fees are the SAME amount no matter what season you buy (Diamond, Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze), so the better season you buy, the more bang you get for you MF buck. If you don't want to use your deeded week and choose to convert it to HRC points, you will get 2200 points for a diamond season week, 2000 points for platinum, 1880 points for gold, and 1400 points for silver. I forget how many for bronze. You should buy a diamond week or at least platinum to get the most possible points for the same maintenance fee. Also, if you don't want to stay in one of the HRC resorts, you can deposit your HRC points to Interval International and get EXCELLENT trading power back. @ScoopKona usually trades his gold points for up to 3 weeks in nice resorts through II. This is the best system I have found for our family.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I live in the San Diego area ("South West US"). We do a bunch of "drive-to" vacations. So, I'll share our typical SW US drive-to vacation spots:

1. Palm Desert - one of the best warm spots in the winter. Lots of timeshares.
2. Marriott Newport Coast (plus there are timeshares in Laguna Beach, Capistrano, etc.)
3. Marriott Phoenix (there are a lot of other non-Marriotts too)
4. Marriott Timberlodge (Lake Tahoe). There are also a bunch of non-Marriotts. But it isn't "warmer in the winter". Nice in the summer.
5. Sedona, Az. In the winter, they might get some snow, but it only stays a day or two. Our favorite is Hyatt Pinon point, but we've also been to others. I've been there in February and the daytime temps were in the 60's.
6. Tucson - There is a Shell Vacation Club there that is nice
7. Ventura Ca. - there are a few nice timeshares along the coast including Avila Beach, etc.
8. Napa and Clearlake Ca. - wine country. Not terribly warm in the winter but warmer than Chicago. Ha ha. One of the nicer timeshares is Vino Bello in Napa which is with Shell/Worldmark.
9. San Diego - there are a bunch of timeshares here. You can't get much further SW (continental US that is). The temps in the winter can be nice, especially at some of the inland resorts (Welk/Hyatt, Ramona). Being by the ocean is nice but it can sometimes be a little cool in the winter.

Me? I own 3-1/2 weeks in Palm Desert (Marriott) and have exchanged into all of the above (except San Diego, where I live).

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Speaking from experience, do NOT put your children on any timeshare contract. Your idea of a great vacation may not be theirs when they reach that point in their lives. Also, doing so could saddle them with annual maintenance fees that they may not be able to (or want to) afford or may not have a use for.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I would recommend Worldmark because of the many locations and ease to unload the membership should no one want it.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Add me to the Worldmark recco. Plus NOT putting the kids' names on the ownership. Plenty of time to do that later if the desire is there, but make sure they want it's obligation first.