• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie here anxiously awaiting a deed transfer!!

Tcbmcb5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning because I just bought a timeshare. This is a whole new world to me and I never considered buying a TS because I grew up being warned against them as being a rip-off. My husband and I got roped into a “1 hour” Marriott timeshare presentation years ago for a $100 gift card that was NOT worth it!! The 1 hour turned into 3 and the hard-sell pressure pitch was awful. We had been staying at a MVC on a guest certificate from my cousin who bought us a getaway. We basically asked the sales guy “why would we buy here for $30k and have an annual maintenance fee when we can ask my cousin to just book us another getaway?” They still tried to spin it. Then we said we’d rather keep our $30k and invest it and pay for vacations with the interest. That finally ended the meeting.
Anyway, my cousin has been very generous to us over the years and has booked us many getaways in the Orlando Marriotts and we always have a fantastic time. We just got back from Cypress Harbour and I decided that I don’t want to feel like a mooch anymore so I started looking for the cheapest way into a Marriott timeshare. I knew resale was the only way to go and started looking on Redweek and then stumbled into TUG. So much information on here that makes my head spin but I am so grateful to have found you all! So much selfless wisdom being shared.
A few Tuggers made me consider looking at other companies other than Marriott. This is how I ended up buying into VV The Colonies at Williamsburg, 4 BR week 29. It’s EOY which is fine for now but I’ll probably end up with at least one more timeshare in the future.
I’ll post again once the transfer goes through. I’m excited to join RCI & Interval to check out some of their getaways!

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to timesharing! If you are the type to take regular vacations you will never regret it. I have been super impressed with the trading power of my VV at Williamsburg unit so I think you made a good choice with The Colonies, and yes, it does get addictive - I have owned up to 5, divested them all and am now back to owning 4 timeshares and considering picking up a fixed ski week somewhere in addition. 2 of mine are VV resorts that are in RCI points and I literally felt like I won the lottery a couple of weeks ago when I was able to treat my 81 year old mom to a week at Saratoga Springs on Disney property for $370 out of pocket. I got the points transferred to me by a generous TUGGER when I picked up the unit.
In my opinion, most of the negativity around timeshares comes from developer purchases (most of us bought at least one) and then a failure to learn how to use the system or a lack of flexibility or commitment to vacationing. Enjoy!

Tcbmcb5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I will definitely be traveling more as my kids are getting older our schedules have really opened up. I love planning ahead and having vacations to look forward to. We long ago outgrew standard hotel rooms and I used to do some vacations through VRBO to have more space. Then fees and taxes on VRBO have increased so much that I never even consider that site anymore. That’s why I always appreciated when my cousin hooked us up with getaways and I started to fall in love with the timeshare world

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
IMHO, you made a very smart strategic first purchase to get you in the door. I have been plotting the best way to get into II for some time I am doing exactly what you are. You can have a good solid trade every year with what you are doing and all the getaways you want without having to borrow someone else's account and depend on their schedule.

Hi everyone. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning because I just bought a timeshare. This is a whole new world to me and I never considered buying a TS because I grew up being warned against them as being a rip-off. My husband and I got roped into a “1 hour” Marriott timeshare presentation years ago for a $100 gift card that was NOT worth it!! The 1 hour turned into 3 and the hard-sell pressure pitch was awful. We had been staying at a MVC on a guest certificate from my cousin who bought us a getaway. We basically asked the sales guy “why would we buy here for $30k and have an annual maintenance fee when we can ask my cousin to just book us another getaway?” They still tried to spin it. Then we said we’d rather keep our $30k and invest it and pay for vacations with the interest. That finally ended the meeting.
Anyway, my cousin has been very generous to us over the years and has booked us many getaways in the Orlando Marriotts and we always have a fantastic time. We just got back from Cypress Harbour and I decided that I don’t want to feel like a mooch anymore so I started looking for the cheapest way into a Marriott timeshare. I knew resale was the only way to go and started looking on Redweek and then stumbled into TUG. So much information on here that makes my head spin but I am so grateful to have found you all! So much selfless wisdom being shared.
A few Tuggers made me consider looking at other companies other than Marriott. This is how I ended up buying into VV The Colonies at Williamsburg, 4 BR week 29. It’s EOY which is fine for now but I’ll probably end up with at least one more timeshare in the future.
I’ll post again once the transfer goes through. I’m excited to join RCI & Interval to check out some of their getaways!

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
Yes I will definitely be traveling more as my kids are getting older our schedules have really opened up. I love planning ahead and having vacations to look forward to. We long ago outgrew standard hotel rooms and I used to do some vacations through VRBO to have more space. Then fees and taxes on VRBO have increased so much that I never even consider that site anymore. That’s why I always appreciated when my cousin hooked us up with getaways and I started to fall in love with the timeshare world
Did your transfer go through? How long did it take?

Tcbmcb5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did your transfer go through? How long did it take?
Started the process end of April. I just sent the resort transfer paperwork back to the transfer company after receiving it last week. Hoping it goes through in the next couple of weeks. I’ll let you know.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Congratulations, and Welcome to TUG! You've done yourself a great favor by not falling for the salesweasel's pitch. Once your purchase is finalized, and you have your foot in the door, take your time to get comfortable with what you own, so you can make further smart choices going forward. Timesharing can be a bit of a minefield if you aren't absolutely sure of what you're doing. Take your time, measure each step clearly so you know what to expect, and focus on the good times ahead. Don't be in a rush to buy anything more until you're absolutely satisfied you fully understand what you own, how to use it, how to trade it, and so forth. As you've no doubt discovered, there are many timeshares for sale out there, and the bargains are not going away anytime soon.

Tug is an amazing resource, and will provide solid, real-world advice on how to make the most from what you own. Tuggers as a whole are the nicest folks on the planet. You'll enjoy your experience here. I've found that when I think of doing something timeshare-related, a Tugger has already done it and can share experience on how to do it better. It's amazing.

Enjoy yourself. It's good here. :thumbup:

Dave

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Started the process end of April. I just sent the resort transfer paperwork back to the transfer company after receiving it last week. Hoping it goes through in the next couple of weeks. I’ll let you know.

Daily Management is apparently quite backed up processing the ownership transfer after receiving the recorded deed and all the paperwork. They told me over the phone it is running 6 to 12 weeks. I have one that is in process.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
Daily Management is apparently quite backed up processing the ownership transfer after receiving the recorded deed and all the paperwork. They told me over the phone it is running 6 to 12 weeks. I have one that is in process.
Thanks. That's disappointing. Ergh. My last one took like 3 weeks but it was 2019.

Tcbmcb5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice. I’m not as anxious about how long the transfer is taking because the current owner will make a reservation for me for that week if it gets too close. She isn’t even asking for reimbursement of those maintenance fees for this Odd year use. We already had summer vacation plans made so this will be a little bonus week for us just to check out what we bought. I’m just excited for access to RCI & II for future getaways.