• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie, did I get nailed? please need help right away

oneqbanguy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just bought a 2 units timeshare in Vacation Villages in Orlando for 18K. It also comes with 2 extra weeks/ year(totaling 4/year).
I now have that feeling that I want to hang myself and not sure why. I did a little research and found out that those units are sold for less than 10K by owners.

Did I get screwed here?...if so...what are my options..can I call off the deal still?

Any help is appreciated!!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Hi guys,

I just bought a 2 units timeshare in Vacation Villages in Orlando for 18K. It also comes with 2 extra weeks/ year(totaling 4/year).
I now have that feeling that I want to hang myself and not sure why. I did a little research and found out that those units are sold for less than 10K by owners.

Did I get screwed here?...if so...what are my options..can I call off the deal still?

Any help is appreciated!!!

You already know you got hosed, that's why you're here.

If you just bought them from a developer you have time to get out of the purchase so just calm down.

In he paper work you signed there will be instructions for rescinding your purchase. Find that info and follow it to the letter.

This will end well for you as long as you just bought it.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you get screwed? Yes! Rescind if possible. If it's too late to rescind look at the positive, take advantage of the timeshare and enjoy it...

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
You just paid to put someone's kids through school and a down payment on a car. Rescind and get your money back!

oneqbanguy

Reaction score
Well, I just checked my contract and IT DOES HAVE A CANCELLATION POLICY! !! I can't thank you all enough for such a prompt advice.
Even better, I happen to live at less than one hour from the cancellation department and the contract says "delivered by any means". I'll be there first thing tomorrow morning to deliver it by hand. Should I request a receipt or something?

Thanks again!!!

Edit: My cancellation period is 10 days and I made the purchase yesterday.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Do not deliver it by hand - mail it.

If you deliver it by hand, you are just setting yourself up for more grief, and you won't be able to PROVE that you delivered it. It does NOT have to be received by the deadline - it just has to be postmarked.

Be sure you use a trackable method so you have proof - return receipt is a good method. Even if they refuse it - you will have proof that it was SENT.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I suggest you go to the post office and talk to the people there.

The minimum that you need is proof of the date you send it.

In addition I would ask to be notified when it gets delivered or an attempt to deliver is made.

They will not steer you wrong.

Keep all receipts you get from them and if needed for proof, make copies and never let go of the originals.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. Save yourself the car trip and the possibility of getting suckered into keeping the timeshare or switching to a different plan that is still a raw deal. Mail the rescission. Keep the proof that you did. Then relax with a nice drink on how much money you just saved to spend on something better. You can still get into timesharing, but take your time learning the ins and outs before buying used anywhere.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well, I just checked my contract and IT DOES HAVE A CANCELLATION POLICY! !! I can't thank you all enough for such a prompt advice.
Even better, I happen to live at less than one hour from the cancellation department and the contract says "delivered by any means". I'll be there first thing tomorrow morning to deliver it by hand. Should I request a receipt or something?

Thanks again!!!

SO glad you got a timely response & can act to rescind a very bad financial choice. PLEASE listen to the other posters and use the USPS to send the letter - don't hand deliver it - as it is your best proof of a proper cancellation.

Once that is done use your new found knowledge of TUG & find a good resale to give you all those great things they promised but for a buy in of a few hundred dollars vs $18K!! Yes, the same timeshare (or one thats better) can be yours for under $1000. Same vacation features, far less $$$. Stick around with us & find out how to do it.

And again congratulations on saving thousands!

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the tens of thousands of dollars you saved go buy yourself something nice like a new Harley and a couple of hand guns. After that spend a couple of dollars and buy a timeshare on eBay or a different resell market.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Certified USPS Mail with Returned Receipt --- you are better than them! Why associated and allow them to waste another 3 hours of your time? Plus, having a signature saying "Bull Crap" is not legal 3rd party PROOF it was received. They want to sign it "scribble scratch" for the post office employee? Then it is their bad.

oneqbanguy

Reaction score
So much timely and valuable help here that is hard to believe. After I wrote my letter yesterday I feel like I earned 18K hahaha
I will be going to the post office this morning and ask for the bullet proof fastest ever delivery they have. What should I expect and how soon? The contract says they should refund the money in less than 20 days but I need something to at least know the process is rolling before that.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The legal issue for USPS Certified Mail is "DATE OF MAILING" provided YOU also mail a copy via REGULAR US MAIL at the same time.

If they chose to NOT sign and receive the Certified Mailing, it is assumed that they GOT the regular mailing.

Almost ALL the timeshare sales office, pretty much JUST process the rescission when the get the certified mail - it is NOT personal, just business. Now, the sales agent who already had spent their commission - avoid them --- they can sometimes be nasty.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They have an obligation to process your rescission - but they don't have an obligation to notify that they are going to do so, so you may not hear from them.

As tempting as it may be, calling them is pointless - a call has no legal weight, and you are only opening yourself up to more grief by talking to them, so don't do it. Wait for the rescission process to take it's course.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks again!!!

To clarify a point here, state law gives you the unquestionable right to rescind your contract --- it's not a "policy" or any sort of voluntary act of benevolence by the developer.

That being said, you must still meet the deadline identified by applicable state law and you must follow the provided contract rescission instructions precisely.

I strongly recommend against making a personal appearance to rescind. No possible good can come from any such encounter and you will be badgered if you choose to create that opportunity for the soon-to-be-disappointed sales weasels. Send your rescission in writing, by certified mail and do not initiate (or take) any phone calls on the matter either. The law is on your side; use it and do so in a smart way...

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
Back in my Uniformed days, proof of mailing was considered a Registered Letter. Cost about 40 cents at the time and the Courts considered a Proof of Mailing to a correct address as sufficient to assume reciept of whatever we mailed.

But the Key is to actually do it!

oneqbanguy

Reaction score
Thank you all one more time for your help. Its really impressive the amount of knowledge and good will I've found in this forum.
I just came back from the post office and noticed I didnt use Certified Mail. I asked the guy to send the fastest way and provide me proof of mail and receipt. He sent it express mail with return receipt. The contract does say "delivered by any means which may include certified mail return receipt requested".
Am I ok?
I might look a little paranoid, but I really dont want to mess with my one shot here.

Hope you understand.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're going to be fine. They don't have to notify you of anything, but if some salesweasel calls to offer you a sweeter deal, you'll know they got the letter and it's being processed. If asked, tell them the rescission is final, and THAT's your decision.

If you still feel that timesharing is a way you want to vacation, stick around and learn about it, and make an INFORMED decision to spend a dime or so on the developer dollar and get something you and the family can use.

Jim

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
...I just came back from the post office and noticed I didnt use Certified Mail. I asked the guy to send the fastest way and provide me proof of mail and receipt. He sent it express mail with return receipt. The contract does say "delivered by any means which may include certified mail return receipt requested".
Am I ok?....

Yes, you are OK. It did not have to be the fastest way because all that matters is that you mail it on time. It does not matter how long it takes the Post Office to deliver it.

You will get a notification of when it gets delivered and you should have in your possession a receipt of when you mailed it. This is the important piece of the puzzle to you right now.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reassurance...

As indicated by others, you'll now be fine. The objective and point was to obtain (and now save) documentary proof of actual postmark date of your letter of rescission, which is the only date that really matters. Delivery date is irrelevant and actual recipient signature is not required at all.

The documentary proof of postmark would only potentially be an issue if the developer attempted to later falsely claim that you did not rescind "in time". There is little danger of that scenario in view of your very prompt actions.

Expect a phone call as the disappointed sales weasels attempt to salvage their now-disappearing commission with a "sweeter deal" for you. "Sweeter" is still grossly overpriced, so you'd be wise to not even take the inevitable desperate phone call at all. The law will take care of the rest, although in a worst case scenario it could take up to 45 days for issuance of your refund.

Exhale. Relax. Well done. :clap:

YeongWoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham, Blue Green
Another Rescission thread

I thought this other thread might help calm your nerves about the rescission. This guy already got his refund and has started the process of buying a resale. You can enjoy your vacations in timeshares for pennies on the dollar now.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197539

If I screwed this thread link up, it's in the Wyndham folder from a couple of days ago.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it will help you feel better that 20 digit number on Certified Mail Receipt can be plugged into tracking feature on USPS web site and you can follow.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never rescinded but I always take a picture of these types of postal receipts. I learned my lesson after losing a usps confirm years ago on an ebay sale. Just takes a few seconds to snap a pic with your phone.

You don't want to lose it and be freaking out!