• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie and focused on Hilton

hunter_home

Reaction score
Hi All,

thanks in advance for answering my question. I wanted to get HGVC and my main focus is to get enough points to do 2 weeks anywhere I want except the top 10 Hiltons. So I was looking at Las Vegas, Hawaii resales on redweek. Based on my findings I was thinking about vegas 2 BR, annually, float ( platinum) , around 7k points and yearly MF < 1k USD. Do you any other suggestions?

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Check out the Hilton System Website on TUG. I learned so much about it from people who have understood the best valuation for maintenance fees and how to maximize booking in the 9-month window if you are not staying in your home resort. The threads are very informative.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
What do you consider the Top Ten? Where and when are you looking to travel? Some more details of how you want to use it and for how many people (BR’s needed) would help.

hunter_home

Reaction score
What do you consider the Top Ten? Where and when are you looking to travel? Some more details of how you want to use it and for how many people (BR’s needed) would help.

i was going with assumption that Hawaii Oahu, New York Manhattan, San Francisco and other top cities is where I would get only one week but if I go for others I might get two weeks from 7k points every year.

we like to travel to Hawaii once in 2-3 years, LA , vegas, Seattle, San Francisco every year. We are 6 people sometimes but 4 most of the times.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
There is a separate thread dedicated to HGVC on this board. This thread is a sticky that covers a wide range of topics you need to familiarize yourself with. Id suggest reading through that first and get an understanding of locations, seasons, points needed to book and maintenance fees.

hunter_home

Reaction score
There is a separate thread dedicated to HGVC on this board. This thread is a sticky that covers a wide range of topics you need to familiarize yourself with. Id suggest reading through that first and get an understanding of locations, seasons, points needed to book and maintenance fees.

Thank you

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
@hunter_home, I moved your thread to the HGVC forum. We have some great HGVC TUG members who are willing to help you with your questions.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
i was going with assumption that Hawaii Oahu, New York Manhattan, San Francisco and other top cities is where I would get only one week but if I go for others I might get two weeks from 7k points every year.

we like to travel to Hawaii once in 2-3 years, LA , vegas, Seattle, San Francisco every year. We are 6 people sometimes but 4 most of the times.

Here is the 2021 points chart for HGVC. You can look look and see how many points each resorts take in what season. Many traditional locations still use the standard point structure, but the majority of new resorts have differing points (usually much higher). The points depend on when and what days of the week you book. If you buy a traditional 2 bedroom platinum (7000 points), you can make those points go further if you travel during lower seasons and book shorter stays during the week. There are no HGVC resorts in Seattle, San Fran or LA.

hunter_home

Reaction score
Here is the 2021 points chart for HGVC. You can look look and see how many points each resorts take in what season. Many traditional locations still use the standard point structure, but the majority of new resorts have differing points (usually much higher). The points depend on when and what days of the week you book. If you buy a traditional 2 bedroom platinum (7000 points), you can make those points go further if you travel during lower seasons and book shorter stays during the week. There are no HGVC resorts in Seattle, San Fran or LA.
Thank you so much. I was under the assumption that I can use those points to book Hilton hotels too. Is my assumption wrong? I actually wanted to do that when traveling abroad..

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Thank you so much. I was under the assumption that I can use those points to book Hilton hotels too. Is my assumption wrong? I actually wanted to do that when traveling abroad..

You can, but the conversion rate is poor (25:1 on regular HGVC deeds) and Hilton Hotels has a tendency to increase the points requirement. Converting to HH points is always an option, though. by Hilton Club deeds have a 50:1 ratio, but the maintenance fees are much higher.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can, but the conversion rate is poor (25:1 on regular HGVC deeds) and Hilton Hotels has a tendency to increase the points requirement. Converting to HH points is always an option, though. by Hilton Club deeds have a 50:1 ratio, but the maintenance fees are much higher.

Looking at a real example. Let's say you do have a 7000 pt. Platinum contract, with MFs around $1000. At 25:1 this yields 175,000 points, or about 3 nights in a 60,000 pt. property. Is it possible to find such a property with a rate higher than $333/night? Yes. Is finding, say, a $500 place at this point value likely? Less so. But is the added value enough to justify buing the timeshare? Individual decision, but it wouldn't be for me.

Cheers.

hunter_home

Reaction score
Looking at a real example. Let's say you do have a 7000 pt. Platinum contract, with MFs around $1000. At 25:1 this yields 175,000 points, or about 3 nights in a 60,000 pt. property. Is it possible to find such a property with a rate higher than $333/night? Yes. Is finding, say, a $500 place at this point value likely? Less so. But is the added value enough to justify buing the timeshare? Individual decision, but it wouldn't be for me.

Cheers.

thank you