• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbee SVO vs Marriott

AFJAY

Reaction score
Went to Vegas, checked out HGVC and Marriott.

Like the flexibility of Hilton, but liked the Quality and number of locations with Marriott. Still have not made a decision, then found out a bit about Starwood SVO. It appears to have the flexibility of Hilton, with the quality of Marriott.

I would like to get you folks advise / input etc. on SVO and if someone owns both, what there feelings are.

Thanks

Jay

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you use the search function (Search this forum button) and search this board for "Marriott" you will find quite a bit of info. on the subject.

Also - in the Owner Resources sticky at the top of the page you will find a comparison of the 4 major hotel timeshare systems.

The Starwood FAQ at the top of the board is helpful, as well.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Own Starwood and Marriott but wish I owned Hilton instead of Starwood. Hilton is very customer oriented, Starwood lacks that IMHO.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Here's a recent thread that might be helpful:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81536&highlight="Starwood"+"Marriott"

While I am disenchanted with SVO management at the moment, and have concerns about the viability of SVO in this economy, I have to admit that their resorts are very nice. They enjoy a good reputation and tend to be very powerful traders. The biggest downside vs. Marriott is the limited number of resorts.

Given the economy, you should be able to pick up a timeshare for a very good price on the resale market. If you wait a few months when MFs will be due, you'll probably do even better. Good luck.

Last edited:

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own SVO and my best friend owns Marriotts. We trade and barter between each other all the time. She purchased hers from the developer as she likes using her points for airfare/hotel room combos. Her major complaint is using II to trade her Marriott with other Marriotts.

My advice is to purchase at the place/location you would want to go to at least every other year. Trading these properties is kinda like giving up a diamond for a zirconian, when you compare what you purchased yours for and your mf's.

I own SVO, but and tend to like them because of the SVN in network trading ability, dual trading company affiliation.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love my Hilton (HGVC), I can book for as little as 3 nights instead of a full week, so I can have short weekend trips. I like point flexibility, you can deposit, rescue and borrow points for long vacation. And customer service is top notch. I never had any bad experience with HGVC representatives. The bad thing is, there are not many selections for the resorts.
I like starwood 3 day priority in II, that's why I purchased WMH recently, and now I am afraid of dealing with SVO deposit hassle. According to couple recent posts, it looks like much improved though.
I don't know about Marriott, I don't own it.

AFJAY

Reaction score
Yes, My wife and I did like the flexibility of Hilton, when we attended in Las Vegas, plus they got us into the property, Marriott put us up somewhere else that was not nice. I did like the fact that Marriott has more locations, but you have to put your week into II, and pay the exchange fee. That was one of the pluses with Hilton and SVO was trading for same within system. It just seemed that Marriott was a bit more upscale then Hilton, but just not as flexible, so that is why we started to look at SVO. We are scheduled to go to the big Island, new resort with HGVC in Jan. paid the extra 200 for the trial to get to Hawaii, so maybe we'll see what they offer then.

We can only pick one, due to funds going towards an international adoption, and we wanted something of quality, good / easy trades, not always Las Vegas.

Thanks for the continued input..

Jay

AFJAY

Reaction score
That was one reason why I thought SVO would be good, I though it would offer the quality of Marriott if not better, but the flexibility of Hilton, and if necessary could trade into Marriott or others through II.

I don't know as much about RCI... others have said that the quality of II was better...?

Jay