• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newark or JFK from Seattle?

Juju56

Reaction score
Just purchased a Hilton promo for NYC. Alaska Airlines flies direct into both airports, which would you recommend?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a Hilton promo for NYC. Alaska Airlines flies direct into both airports, which would you recommend?
In general, I slightly prefer getting to/from EWR than JFK from midtown (I assume you are staying in one of the HGVC properties and not a Hilton hotel).

That said, it is close enough to a push that I would more consider other issues like price, schedule, and frequency of flights.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer JFK as the AirTrain and subway are very easy to the NYC locations.

Also, if you do this and there are at least two of you, get the AirTrain 10-ride pass as this is cheaper than 4 rides (2 in, 2 out).

Plus, depending upon what airline you fly/have status with and what credit cards you have, lounges are considerably better at JFK. Yes, that matters :D

Cheers.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I prefer the airport where I can get the "best" flights. That means the cheapest rate and the best routing. We get into NYC by cab.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
EWR is quicker

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
how do you plan to get into town?

from ewr we take NJ transit to Penn Station then the subway

from jfk we take a cab, but next time thinking of taking the Aitrain to the subway. But I like taking mass transit.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I don't like taking mass transit with luggage. I also prefer door to door service with someone to assist with the luggage. I'm old.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I prefer JFK as the AirTrain and subway are very easy to the NYC locations.

Also, if you do this and there are at least two of you, get the AirTrain 10-ride pass as this is cheaper than 4 rides (2 in, 2 out).

Plus, depending upon what airline you fly/have status with and what credit cards you have, lounges are considerably better at JFK. Yes, that matters :D

Cheers.
Depends on airline. EWR has better United Clubs than JFK. Well the nicest UC is at EWR gate C123. But Delta lounges do have nicer and better foods than UC. Have never been to Centurion Lounge although I have read they are very nice.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on airline. EWR has better United Clubs than JFK. Well the nicest UC is at EWR gate C123. But Delta lounges do have nicer and better foods than UC. Have never been to Centurion Lounge although I have read they are very nice.
The Centurion Lounge in JFK is definitely the best in the system. We've been to 10 domestic and 1 interna1tional locations so far, and this JFK is it.

Also a good number of Priority Pass locations.

Also, OP mentioned SEA and AS, so United and Delta are not options in this case.

Cheers.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
is the AirTrain included in the 7 day metrocard? or is it a separate system/ticket like NJ Transit?

We travel with backpacks or rollerboards and even when we went to Europe I told mrs letsgobobby she had to be luggage independent. too many stairs and not enough escalators for me to have to handle her backpack and mine. our marriage survived :) kids have been toting their own since they were old enough to have their own seats.

There is no AS lounge at EWR so that's a consideration. If you have access to AA AC lounges you can't get back to where they're located at JFK after landing on AS. At EWR you could use the AC if you have access.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
is the AirTrain included in the 7 day metrocard? or is it a separate system/ticket like NJ Transit?

This is separate. Pricey. But 10 ride pass is cheaper than 4 ride fares.
We travel with backpacks or rollerboards
[Pedantic] The word is "rollaboard," not "rollerboard." Amazing how many gate agents and flight attendants get it wrong, though :) [/pedantic]

We only travel with rollaboards. We do not check unless we're going to a place where cooking is on the bill and we bring supplied. maybe wine.
There is no AS lounge at EWR so that's a consideration. If you have access to AA AC lounges you can't get back to where they're located at JFK after landing on AS. At EWR you could use the AC if you have access.
But, on the return,one can access lounges in any terminal

Cheers.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
But, on the return,one can access lounges in any terminal

Cheers.
But on the return, unless you are connecting to another flight and have the time, you want to just get out of the airport. Unless maybe I misinterpreted your comment.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
But on the return, unless you are connecting to another flight and have the time, you want to just get out of the airport. Unless maybe I misinterpreted your comment.

Maybe misinterpreting my intent (and it is not standard intent, so it makes sense :)).

With the quality of some of these lounges, I find it worthwhile often to get there a little earlier and spend time in the lounge. On purpose. But most really do not do this :)

Cheers.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
NYC transit protip: Use NFC (Google Pay / Apple Pay etc). No need to use this annoying printed ticket that you need to purchase, and that gets easily damaged (mine stopped working at some point and I had to buy a new one).

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
NYC transit protip: Use NFC (Google Pay / Apple Pay etc). No need to use this annoying printed ticket that you need to purchase, and that gets easily damaged (mine stopped working at some point and I had to buy a new one).

Yup. Before they went to NFC I had gotten a refillable NYC transit card since we go a lot. Once they became modern, that went away. The AirTrain access does need a card for the multi-trip ticket. But it on;y lasts 30 days, so not a lot of time to get damaged :)

Cheers.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
The AirTrain access does need a card for the multi-trip ticket.
Yeah, but you can simply use that paper ticket for airtrain, and use NFC for all subway routes.

But it on;y lasts 30 days, so not a lot of time to get damaged :)
Mine broke on day 2 in NYC.

Since all subsequent rides are free after your 14th ride in a week, it's best to stick to NFC. I missed out on these savings because of the ticket snafu. Unfortunately, the signage wasn't clear it's a generic NFC, no prepaid accounts or extra apps needed. ...We know for our next visit!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but you can simply use that paper ticket for airtrain, and use NFC for all subway routes.

Yes, exactly. As I said, just need a separate ticket for AirTrain. HFC for all the rest for the reasons you stated.

I've had card media expire (like 2 years or so), but never had a card physically fail. Clearly it does happen, but maybe not frequent. Still, with NFC, no need for the plastic ticket for regular rides.

Cheers.

Huskerpaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BoardWalk Villas, MVC Grande Vista & Willow Ridge, WorldMark
We went to NYC from Portland flying Alaska in December (pre-storm). We flew into JFK and out of Newark and used cabs to get to Upper West Side. We choose based on flight times. Both were fine, but all things being equal, I would probably choose JFK.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have been using EWR lately. The NJ Transit offering from the EWR Airport to Penn Station is cheap and easy. Its $15.50 or $11.50 pp if you are a senior I used to use just subway and LGA but the construction drove me away and the connections to the subway are a pain with luggage. EWR has a train from the airport to the rail station, and there are elevators and escalators so you don't have to haul your luggage. You get to Penn and then I just Uber to location with luggage.

I have not yet tried JFK but it is the farthest connection AFAIK.