• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Zealand availability?

TAG

TUG Member
Reaction score
We snagged some good air fare to New Zealand, and are booked on flights in February. We're hitting the North Island a couple of days to see friends, then headed to South Island. I've been checking RCI and I don't see any availability for February 2019. Is it too early? I'd like to make plans now, and if there isn't a chance to book a timeshare unit, I'll start booking elsewhere. Thanks!!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a lot of TSs there. We had good experiences with what are called serviced apartments. We used Meritor in Australia, and Waldorf in N.Z. They are much like timeshares but rent by the night and have daily maid service.

Jim

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Some TS on the North Island, not so much on the South. DAE used to be a reliable option, but since being bought out by RCI I can't say.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
I don't think it's too early, 9 months away. February is prime summertime for NZ. I'd make back-up reservations with a liberal cancellation policy and place an OnGoing Search (OGS) request with RCI. The sooner you place an OGS, the better your chances of getting something.

One April, our son & daughter-in-law had a trade into Wanaka with only a few months notice. The timeshare was simple and very clean and they loved their visit. Other options in Queenstown appeared a couple weeks later in RCI, with more to do locally for a week's vacation. But they felt that both of those towns are good base locations for day-trip sightseeing on the South Island. Late April is less popular than February so I'd make a back-up plan to go with your OGS request.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first mistake you made is choosing RCi for an exchange. Aside from being one of the greediest companies on earth, it has poor NZ options. DAE currently lists 44 exchanges available for Feb. DAE (unfortunately recently purchased by RCi). Is the main exchange company for NZ. I think you will find that there aren’t a lot of high end exchanges like Hiltons and Marriotts but then they don’t have a presence in NZ anyway. Try DAE for one thing it is cheaper and doesn’t have a ridiculous membership fee. You give RCi your unit for free, they make money on the exchange but you still have to pay a membership fee- go figure.

DAE also has bonus weeks for purchase-not included in the 44 exchanges. They also charge you less for the exchange and they don’t have other ridiculous unnecessary fees. Their insurance($30) gets you back your exchange and your FULL exchange fee and allows cancelation for ANY reason up to 48 hours before arrival. It is definitely worth it. Try getting that deal from RCi.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We visited Aukland about 6-7 years ago. I think February will be good. We went in June and it was cold and raining every day. We did many excursions from Aukland and we saw a lot in 3-4 days. It was part of an Australia/New Zealand trip for my DH's birthday. We did not have time to go to the South Island. The last day we had fabulous weather and we did a ferry to some of the outer islands. We stayed at the Hilton Auckland. It is a really nice hotel right on the bay with incredible views and big balconies. At the time, we were not into timesharing so I do not have any recommendations for timeshares. However, if you can't find a timeshare, I highly recommend the Hilton Auckland on the bay. It is designed to be like a cruise ship with spectacular views. We almost went to New Zealand again last year and we had booked the Hilton again. But we had to cancel the trip for personal reasons.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We visited NZ years ago and confined our visit to the South Island. The scenery is truely gorgeous there.

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked a 3 bedroom through RCI in Queenstown for March 2019! So yes, it can happen.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI just bought DAE so no surprise. What happens next will be the most important.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have had success using RCI to Book on North Island. Never tried South Island. We had a back up Reservation with a generous cancellation policy. So when RCI came through only 3 months before the trip we were able to switch.

cuckoo32

Reaction score
I just booked a 3 bedroom through RCI in Queenstown for March 2019! So yes, it can happen.

It’s a fantastic property and Queenstown in March is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, now the hard part. Getting affordable airfare. Thinking of using TripMasters to combine with short stay in Sydney and Auckland.