• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New York Resale questions

nobodyhasthisname2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
7000 platinum points at HGVC on Paradise
We purchased some resale points (2 bed platinum at Paradise) a few years back, and have used them for Florida, Hawaii and New York. I'm now trying to convince the husband to purchase more - I couldn't care less about Max and thanks to the new "restrictions" combined with the pandemic, I feel like its prime time to buy another resale deed.

Since NYC is one of our favourite places to travel, I'm leaning towards purchasing there. I worry that with the HGV Max window being basically the same as the club window for NYC resorts, it may make it more difficult in the future to get in when we want to, so it may make sense to buy there to get some of the "perks", despite the higher maintenance fees per point.

As I understand it, you have a home week advantage and then a home resort advantage before the club/max window opens, you also have access to the owners lounge. I know that you can't use your non-NYC points at the NYC resorts before the club window opens, but can you use them to tack a day or two onto an existing reservation once the window opens? (IE: if I book Friday-Monday during the home resort window and then try to extend my reservation to Wednesday after the club window opens, can I use my non-nyc points?)

The best deals seem to be had at West 57th and the Hilton Club. We have stayed at both in the past and much prefer the location of West 57th. For the Hilton club, maintenance fees seem to be much higher, and from what I've read, it appears that the deeds expire in 2032?? Is that the case for all Hilton Club deeds? or just certain ones? Are there any other major differences between West 57th and Hilton Club? (I know HC is the only one with 2 bedrooms but we don't need room for that many people). Any other "perks" or drawbacks of owning in NY that I'm missing?

Because of the location, I'm leaning towards West 57th, but I have seen some Hilton Club points go for pretty cheap recently on Ebay, so I want to understand if thats an angle I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We love W57. Unlike other Clubpoints properties, because of non-reciprocal lounge privileges, and the high points costs owners tend to visit there regularly. The staff now knows us. It is a great feeling and feels like coming home. The location is fantastic. too. We visit about 2x / year.

W57 also has the longest home resort window next to HCNY, so you have a good chance of getting the unit you want. As you noted, HCNY will not be impacted by Diamond since they cannot reserve there. Since we haven't stayed in other NYC we cannot compare. Perhaps others can weigh in about HCNY.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
We purchased some resale points (2 bed platinum at Paradise) a few years back, and have used them for Florida, Hawaii and New York. I'm now trying to convince the husband to purchase more - I couldn't care less about Max and thanks to the new "restrictions" combined with the pandemic, I feel like its prime time to buy another resale deed.

Since NYC is one of our favourite places to travel, I'm leaning towards purchasing there. I worry that with the HGV Max window being basically the same as the club window for NYC resorts, it may make it more difficult in the future to get in when we want to, so it may make sense to buy there to get some of the "perks", despite the higher maintenance fees per point.

As I understand it, you have a home week advantage and then a home resort advantage before the club/max window opens, you also have access to the owners lounge. I know that you can't use your non-NYC points at the NYC resorts before the club window opens, but can you use them to tack a day or two onto an existing reservation once the window opens? (IE: if I book Friday-Monday during the home resort window and then try to extend my reservation to Wednesday after the club window opens, can I use my non-nyc points?)

The best deals seem to be had at West 57th and the Hilton Club. We have stayed at both in the past and much prefer the location of West 57th. For the Hilton club, maintenance fees seem to be much higher, and from what I've read, it appears that the deeds expire in 2032?? Is that the case for all Hilton Club deeds? or just certain ones? Are there any other major differences between West 57th and Hilton Club? (I know HC is the only one with 2 bedrooms but we don't need room for that many people). Any other "perks" or drawbacks of owning in NY that I'm missing?

Because of the location, I'm leaning towards West 57th, but I have seen some Hilton Club points go for pretty cheap recently on Ebay, so I want to understand if thats an angle I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!!

I own HCNY, West 57th, and The Quin. Yes, best resale for New York is going to be West 57th or HCNY. There are Residences resale deeds out there but much fewer. The Central and The Quin are still so new that it will take a couple years to see resales on the market.

I echo everyone’s sentiment about West 57th. It was my first ownership and even 12 years later, it is one of my favorites. The location is perfect, staff is friendly, rooms are well appointed, and the lounge is excellent. Since it was HGVC first “timeshare only” build in New York there’s less hustle and bustle with the lobby and competition for elevators. Ownership reservation window is very favorable and club reservation is much more limited than the other BHC properties in New York. There is a $85 cleaning fee for every stay less than three nights

HCNY Is an entirely different product. They were initially RTU with deeds expiring 2032. However about five or so years ago those deeds were purchased back and the vast majority of ownerships are deeded in perpetuity like the other HGVC products. It is truly a “club with an a club” in that no non-owners can book into it. This gives owners significant advantage at last minute bookings with much less competition. The one and two bedrooms are very spacious. The lounge is excellent and on par with West 57th in my opinion. Though HCNY is the oldest HGVC in NYC, it was recently updated and renovated with new paint, wallpaper, carpet and furniture. You get housekeeping and turn down service every day, can book short stays without cleaning fee, and have more favorable HHonors conversion. Only negatives are MF are slightly higher, and competition for the elevators since it’s three floors in the very busy Hilton midtown. The Residences are several floors above and (from what I saw) are more luxurious.

Good luck in whatever direction you choose for NYC ownership!

Sean

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
Prior to the pandemic, I was initially looking to own HCNY. I ended up with a W57 deed when prices dropped significantly during the pandemic. I'm actually glad I now own at W57 after seeing HCNY and The Residences, both located in Hilton Midtown, closed for over a year at the height of Covid-19. Owners of both HCNY and The Residences are in the minority in that particular property which meant they had little say when the property should/could open. Unlike W57 (and likely The Quin and The Central at 5th) that are wholly owned by owners, the HOA has total control over operations. Yes, Hilton has some influence, but not to the extent of closing the property like it did HCNY and The Residences that would deny owners access.

Just something to consider in case an event/situation like Covid-19 comes around that might impact operations.

ETA: This report of extra charges for services at Hilton Midtown also made me glad I own at W57 -
We briefly owned at The Residences before returning to W 57th St.

After W 57th St, I was annoyed at the nickel and diming at The Residences due to them being part of the hotel. There is a fee for receiving packages. There is a fee for storing your luggage. There is a fee for using the business center.

Last edited:

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
@Seagila Oh wow, owners denied access, but still had to pay their HOA fees, right?!

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
@Seagila Oh wow, owners denied access, but still had to pay their HOA fees, right?!
During Covid the maintenance fees at HCNY were still collected, just significantly discounted. The argument was that we could still use our club points at other HGVC locations. We got multiple correspondences of the HOA lobbying (and even threatening litigation) against Park Hotels and Resorts (owner of Hilton Midtown) about opening up the timeshare portion even if the hotel was not officially open. However because of union rules in NYC if you hired back a small number of people you had to pay the salaries of all the union workers at that location.

Sean

nobodyhasthisname2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is helpful, thanks all!

Question, if you are a W57 owner and book with your non-W57 points, do you still have access to the owners lounge?

nobodyhasthisname2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And another question - are there special club dues on top of the regular club dues for W57th? I think there's an extra fee for HCNY, correct?

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
are there special club dues on top of the regular club dues for W57th?
bHC annual dues are slightly higher than HGVC dues. What they don't advertise is the option of adding AI - All Inclusive for an additional fee. You have to ask. AI eliminates booking fees, which simplifies change & cancellation worries as well.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
This is helpful, thanks all!

Question, if you are a W57 owner and book with your non-W57 points, do you still have access to the owners lounge?
Yes, if you are an owner at W57, regardless of the points you use to book (bHC, Club, or Bonus points), you should have full lounge access.

Sean

nobodyhasthisname2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
bHC annual dues are slightly higher than HGVC dues. What they don't advertise is the option of adding AI - All Inclusive for an additional fee. You have to ask. AI eliminates booking fees, which simplifies change & cancellation worries as well.
So is the AI for all bookings on your account (using club points to go somewhere else, W57th points at W57th) or is it only for bookings at W57?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
So is the AI for all bookings on your account (using club points to go somewhere else, W57th points at W57th) or is it only for bookings at W57?
All points in account.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Yes, if you are an owner at W57, regardless of the points you use to book (bHC, Club, or Bonus points), you should have full lounge access.

Sean

I haven't tried it at W57 yet, having just purchased a resale deed there, but at The District they give me lounge access even when I'm there on an RCI exchange.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried it at W57 yet, having just purchased a resale deed there, but at The District they give me lounge access even when I'm there on an RCI exchange.

As mentioned above, I can confirm that Lounge Access is granted to owners even using "regular HGVC" points. We've done this more than once and never had an issue. Owners are owners.

cheers.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
I own HCNY, West 57th, and The Quin. Yes, best resale for New York is going to be West 57th or HCNY. There are Residences resale deeds out there but much fewer. The Central and The Quin are still so new that it will take a couple years to see resales on the market.

I echo everyone’s sentiment about West 57th. It was my first ownership and even 12 years later, it is one of my favorites. The location is perfect, staff is friendly, rooms are well appointed, and the lounge is excellent. Since it was HGVC first “timeshare only” build in New York there’s less hustle and bustle with the lobby and competition for elevators. Ownership reservation window is very favorable and club reservation is much more limited than the other BHC properties in New York. There is a $85 cleaning fee for every stay less than three nights

HCNY Is an entirely different product. They were initially RTU with deeds expiring 2032. However about five or so years ago those deeds were purchased back and the vast majority of ownerships are deeded in perpetuity like the other HGVC products. It is truly a “club with an a club” in that no non-owners can book into it. This gives owners significant advantage at last minute bookings with much less competition. The one and two bedrooms are very spacious. The lounge is excellent and on par with West 57th in my opinion. Though HCNY is the oldest HGVC in NYC, it was recently updated and renovated with new paint, wallpaper, carpet and furniture. You get housekeeping and turn down service every day, can book short stays without cleaning fee, and have more favorable HHonors conversion. Only negatives are MF are slightly higher, and competition for the elevators since it’s three floors in the very busy Hilton midtown. The Residences are several floors above and (from what I saw) are more luxurious.

Good luck in whatever direction you choose for NYC ownership!

Sean
If i own at W57 and use W57 points to book 4 days, then once the club season opens can I use my other points to tack on nights to my 4 day reservation? Seems like this would work, though since I would pay for AI it also might be irrelevant.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
If i own at W57 and use W57 points to book 4 days, then once the club season opens can I use my other points to tack on nights to my 4 day reservation? Seems like this would work, though since I would pay for AI it also might be irrelevant.
Yes you can do that. You will have two reservations and if one of them is for 3 nights or less you will pay the dreadful fee.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes you can do that. You will have two reservations and if one of them is for 3 nights or less you will pay the dreadful fee.
Ah, so that is what I was trying to avoid. Even with AI, once I've entered the club window, I can't combine my bHC reservation with my HGVC club points to extend the reservation so that the whole shebang is 5-6-7 days, thus avoiding the fee?

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Not guaranteed. you would have to call to plead your case because it is under two different reservation numbers. The other NYC properties do not have the cleaning fee so you might do better owning there with that strategy or know you must book 4 and 4 to be assured.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, so that is what I was trying to avoid. Even with AI, once I've entered the club window, I can't combine my bHC reservation with my HGVC club points to extend the reservation so that the whole shebang is 5-6-7 days, thus avoiding the fee?

Since the $85 short-stay fee doesn't get paid until checkout, I wonder if this couldn't be handled at the resort itself. If the two consecutive reservations are under the same room-type (e.g. both STP), then I don't see why they would move you between reservations and charge the $85.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually it seems like with AI, the thing to do would be to call, and have the rep take my bHC booking with bHC points and add those same dates to my club reservation with club points. There should be no CX fees and no short term stay fees, either, and by calling I should ensure the room I first booked with bHC remains available through the process.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Actually it seems like with AI, the thing to do would be to call, and have the rep take my bHC booking with bHC points and add those same dates to my club reservation with club points. There should be no CX fees and no short term stay fees, either, and by calling I should ensure the room I first booked with bHC remains available through the process.
This is the way.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have done this, albeit inadvertently. I did want to use the bHC points for part of it and the HGVC for the rest, and merge. In the end, it was all concerted to HGVC and merged leaving the bHC aside. I did find a use for them.

I've also had separate reservations that never did get officially merged, but I was able to call W. 57th directly and have them linked in such a way that the fee was not charged.

Cheers.

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just came back from 4-night stay at The Residence with HGVC club point booking. After walking everywhere from the hotel, 3 Boardway shows and Jimmy Fallon Show and a few tasty restaurants visits, we would like to visit NY more often from by taking Amtrack from Philadelphia.

Now, the decision is whether we purchase a NY timeshare with large points or a studio unit. We already own HGVC Vegas contract as well as Hawaii contract. Here are some questions for veteran NY owners:

1. Could we book NY timeshare by combining NY week points and Vegas points during NY club priority booking window or only NY week point during the priority window?
2. Is lounge access only open for the particular location owner or reciprocal to all NY timeshare owner? For an example, do West 57th owners have access to The Central at 5th lounge?
3. If we purchase a NY week, do we have access open season at all NY timeshare as well as The District as DC, or just our home location?

There are a few West 57th St weeks listed on Redweek. No Quin or Central resale yet.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
1)reservations prior to club window must be NY bHC points.

2) not reciprocal. Choose your home resort wisely

3) only resort you own. See #2 above

Good luck!