• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Year weightloss thread -- who's in??

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, here it is! The thread we have all been waiting for! Who wants to join me in a new weight loss challenge for 2009???

Here is what I am thinking:

1) Must exercise 20 minutes 3 times a week. Any exercise that causes some beads of sweat to form on forehead counts. No excuses allowed. Additional weight lifting, strengthening, stretching etc is encouraged.

2) Must set a goal to lose at least 5% of weight (can be more) by March 31st. So if you weight 300 pounds, you should aim to lose at least 15 pounds in 3 months.

3) Any diet program that is healthy is fine as long is it is balanced in it's nutritional value (and no "extreme dieting" or starvation).

4) Must keep a log someplace of weekly weigh-ins (on same scale with similar or no clothes).

4) Optional: cholesterol and BP check by doctor sometime during the 3 months so we all know where we are and where we should make changes.

Sooooooo, who wants to join???

Katherine

Last edited:

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Count me in! It sounds like a great plan, and after the holidays I definitely need it.

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Count me in. I need an anonymous type group to get this going in my life.

I'll start this off by saying that I'm around 200 lbs and would like to get back to 185 lbs. I know this isn't huge, but for me it's a big life change.

I tend not to exercise, to eat a bunch, and to drink too much alcohol. So my work is cut out for me. If I meet my goal (185) by June 1, I will have won my own battle.

Thanks for the push!

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I made my last batch of chocolate muffins tonight. No more after Jan 1st. I have my first Jenny Craig appointment of 2009 on Friday. I have to weigh in from the holidays (yuck) and then buy the food and go for it again. I lost 15 pounds this last go around and I would like to shed 10 more to get into my skinny jeans! Plus we have a new motivation -- we are building a pool so I HAVE to fit into my bathing suit by June!

John, my metabolism is that of a snail and I am inconsistent with my exercise and eating too (chocolate being my MAJOR vice) so I am in the same boat. DH just committed to run in a 1/2 marathon for the first time in his life so he is starting to train. It's good to do these things with others.

Katherine

Last edited:

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I should enroll in some sort of athletic endeavor. My knees are bad from too many years in my youth snow and water skiing, but maybe someone could recommend some other activity for me! (My point is that I am afraid to run for the sake of my knees. Had surgery years ago on one knee and think I need surgery on the other)

JB

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in. I started weight watchers last week - but I gained 2 pounds - and I was GOOD so I'm mad. :mad:
BTW, I did Jenny Craig. I lost 10 pounds. I gained it back after I stopped JC. It's VERY expensive and the "counselors" are paid by how much food you buy - glorified salespeople. Very expensive food. You can do the same with frozen meals from the grocery store. But it does work for some. All of these things are band-aids for the real problem - eat less, exercise more. That said, a band-aid can work wonders - so if it's worth it - do it.

I just wanted to warn you that it's expensive and no real counselors.

good luck to everyone to become more healthy.:cheer:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why are you disccriminating against Atkins but think Jenny Craig is fine? Atkins has been proven healthy from recent studies, and if people like it, why not? No different than buying prepackaged meals. Both programs take away the planning for eating right for a lifetime.
I just need to maintain my weight, and am switching to a new exercise program. It calls for 12 minutes a day, and I thought it would be easy. As I read the book I see it may be the toughest routine I have ever taken on. Uses weights and intense flexing. Is aerobic as well as muscle toning. But it's a new year and I am ready for a new challenge. I will also try to eat better by making good choices.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, you can do ATKINS if you think it's healthy. I'll take it out of my original post because I don't want this to be a debate about what program is good or bad. I personally love Jenny Craig too even though some think it's just "sales." It works for me and my counselor is excellent, very motivating and very kind. But it really depends on the person you get. I never feel pressured to buy and I find that buying grocery store microwave dinners doesn't have the variety to keep me sticking to it.

I did stand on the scale today and found that I was up 2 pounds too. Sigh. Since it takes me like a month to lose 2 pounds, I am disappointed a little. I have actually been very good this holiday season -- I just didn't have time or energy to exercise.

Like someone else said, it's eating less and moving more. Katherine

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
im still in.

im going for 1lb a week though...as most of my exercise involves weight training vs cardio stuff (the pup gives me enough of that)

started at 258 (going off gym scale for consistency) down to 254 after 5 weeks. Im sure more fat is gone than just 4lbs given the strength ive gained back.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I started working out with a personal trainer about 6 months ago. I thought all I needed to do was work out and I would lose weight. I found that diet is actually more important than exercise in losing weight.

In addition, I also found that changing the time of day when you eat is also important. My trainer had me shift 2/3 of my daily calories in the morning to increase my metabolism and process it more efficiently. This helps to reduce the bodies desire to store fat. Also, he recommends calories 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat.

What I also learned is that you build up a lot of muscle when you first start working out. So, your weight doesn't go down much early on. The key measures of progress are percentage body fat and inches.

Now, I am actually pretty fit and I am training for an 8.2 mile run in Feb and playing tennis again. I haven't lost many total pounds, but I've lost 6% body fat. I am now it the heathly zone. I hope to lose 6% more and get into the "fit' zone.

Lastly, the best overall fitness plan must balance diet with exercise with rest. When all of those things are in balance, you feel better, you look better and your overall outlook in life is better. I am so glad I started before I got really sick by getting diabetes or something like that. I have been off of Crestor now for 6 months and my overal cholesterol and other readings are pretty good again. Still needs some small improvement, but this further training should get me there.

I hope to lose 6-8 pounds by the time I do my run in President's week. I am up consistently to 3-5 miles runs. I've got 6 weeks left. I now believe I can finish the race. That's all I want to do.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
i can never get into the running thing...man id get tired just DRIVING 8.2 miles!

my shins just start killin me after a few hundred yards....I can walk like a champ though! =D

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I should enroll in some sort of athletic endeavor. My knees are bad from too many years in my youth snow and water skiing, but maybe someone could recommend some other activity for me! (My point is that I am afraid to run for the sake of my knees. Had surgery years ago on one knee and think I need surgery on the other)

JB

Why not cycling (indoor or out). All of the benefits of running without the impact. I also have bad knees (genetics), so I have had an exercise bike for the past 15 years or so. Riding it is a great aerobic workout and once you get past the initial "hump", riding for an hour or so is relatively easy. Best of all, you can watch TV while you work out. :)

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm interested, exercise...well, I try to swim 3 times a week, but don't always make it. I don't build up a sweat when I walk, but anything high impact is out, so I have ordered some short DVD's from Amazon that can be done in 15 minutes. I am going to reread (to motivate myself) and go back on South Beach, which has worked for me before. I had gotten down to 130 and am back to 150, which is WAY too much for me. My goal, back to 135.
Liz

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not cycling (indoor or out). All of the benefits of running without the impact. I also have bad knees (genetics), so I have had an exercise bike for the past 15 years or so. Riding it is a great aerobic workout and once you get past the initial "hump", riding for an hour or so is relatively easy. Best of all, you can watch TV while you work out. :)

I thought I had bad knees, which is why I never ran more than a mile or two. But, then, I learned that stress on the knees is caused by certain muscles being weaker than others. And, that if you train all of the muscle groups and stretch/roll them out, you can balance out the knee stress. It won't fix a fundamenally bad knee problem. But, it can fix what feels like knee problems that really aren't.

When I first started running, my knees hurt all the time. Now that I know how to stretch, roll and strengthen certain muscles that break down first, I can run 5 miles without any pain whatsoevre in my knees. That was the single most important physical breakthrough I had.

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in

I'm looking forward to joining all of you after all the holiday company leaves tomorrow. I'm looking to lose 12 pounds and build up walking and biking endurance before pulling into the Hilton Head Marriott Barony Beach Club parking lot on Friday, April 3rd :banana: .
Looks like it's time to put the wine corkscrew away and drive by the local bagel shop without stopping. Guess I'll have to spend more time in the vegetable aisle and plan on preparing salads for lunch (I really hate that job).
Good luck to all. Have a safe, healthy and happy new year.
Deb

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, you guys motivated me! It's New Year's Eve and after a huge steak dinner with DH, I came home feeling yucky and big. So I got on the bike and had an awesome 30 minute workout, followed by some leg lifts and sit ups. I guess I am starting the challenge a few hours early. :D

JB: I can't run anymore either. My knees just don't like it. I have a stationary recumbent bike at home and sometimes even swim, which keeps all your "weight" off your joints and exercise a lot of muscles in the body all at once. I also have those Leslie Sansone walking tapes at home and I LOVE them. They are easier than typical aerobics tapes and many have arm bands that come with them so that the upper body gets a work out too. The one I have has 3 miles total broken into 1 mile chunks that take about 15 minutes each so they are doable. I usually do 2 of the 3 miles (30 minutes) and feel great afterward.

http://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sanson...38CS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1230794199&sr=8-2

Happy New Year! Katherine

Last edited:

suskey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Count me in. It is just so discouraging. I feel like Oprah!!! Why can't I conquer this once and for all?

Glad to be aboard...

Susan

kapear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Count me in. I was at 131 at one point but am now up to 150. I am uncomfortable at this weight so I need to turn it around.

I lost at least 50 pounds with Weight Watchers after my last daughter was born in 2006. I plan to head back to meetings. I also purchased a new fit ball with a book and DVD. The kids got the Wii Fit for Christmas as well. The aerobics are not what I would call high intenstity but did manage to get my breathing rate up. We also have an elliptical in the basement. I have everything I need to get it done.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And here we go, starting today. Hope all have stayed on the wagon so far. Good luck.

khdem

Reaction score
New Year Weight Loss

Count me in. I am starting back on Weight Watchers tomorrow...and I WILL exercise. That is my main downfall..not exercising.

Kay D.

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll do it...but will start Monday after this weekend's hoopla and company. I'm ready to go!
Connie

tinkerbell2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Count me in too ! Exercise ( or lack of ) remains a big challenge for me ... I'll start jogging again :)

Rina

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in.

I've kept my head down since June when I was all set to loose it in spades only to put more on.

I started the new year with a Polar Bear Club swim today with a few hundred others at Cabrillo Beach (LA Harbor) in 56 degree water. Yee haaa!

Here we go.

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score

JB

I have a bad knee and bad toes, and b/c of the knee I have had to give up Karate (temporarily, I hope). I just started beginner yoga - I swear we did virtually nothing but some slow stretching and arm/leg raising, but the next day my muscles all told me that I got a workout :D I also bought a sturdy used VitaMaster treadmill on Craigslist that has a cushioned platform/base under the tread - that extra "give" makes a big difference.

I found that anything that moves the knee too much - cycling, stepping, or elliptical - is too painful on the knee.

I WISH I had a nice lap pool nearby - I swam competitively for years, and can do lots of laps - but unfortunately it's just not an option where we live.

Last edited: