• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Year weightloss thread -- who's in??

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Today I tried my new Kundalini Yoga DVD, it's supposed to boost metabolism, encourage weight loss and stimulate body systems. I also am starting day 1 (again!) of South Beach. I had to go buy some "fat" jeans at the sales, because I was down to one pair that fit, so I am seriously wanting to be healthy.
Liz

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have to finish my box of See's candy first! :D

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lost my holiday weight. Now I'm done to my regular heavy self. SIGH.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
OK I am in too. My Arthritis is going kill me but I need to try to lose weight to make my Arthritis less painful.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Perhaps I should enroll in some sort of athletic endeavor. My knees are bad from too many years in my youth snow and water skiing, but maybe someone could recommend some other activity for me! (My point is that I am afraid to run for the sake of my knees. Had surgery years ago on one knee and think I need surgery on the other)

JB

Find a gym with a pool and SWIM SWIM SWIM. (I presume you will need a heated indoor pool back there!)

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in.

I've kept my head down since June when I was all set to loose it in spades only to put more on.

I started the new year with a Polar Bear Club swim today with a few hundred others at Cabrillo Beach (LA Harbor) in 56 degree water. Yee haaa!

Here we go.

OK...did my WW's weigh-in this morning...I'm REALLY ready now. (oy vey!)

First goal is 15 lbs to loose by Tax Day (April 15th).

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do the BMI numbers depress anyone? I'm slightly into the overweight, but I exercise so much. It bums me out.

I'm going to the movies and I want to eat the POPCORN, but it's bad, bad, BAD:mad:

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in and will start an anti aging program to build up core muscles on Jan 12. I'm lucky in that I have friends with whom to exercise and time. We'll also have a nutrition class each week so I'll let you folks know if I discover something wonderful. Good luck to all of us. I only need a few more lbs but need to shape up. If I continued on my holiday diet, I would be back where I was this time next year. Good health should be our primary goal. I do drink a lot of green tea.

sstamm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in also!! I am sick and tired of yo-yo weight. (although for the last couple of years the yo-yo is stuck at the top!!)

I exercise regularly- 3 or 4 times a week of strength and cardio. I have been doing this regularly for the last 13 or 14 years. When I did WW, they kept telling me to add more points for the amount I exercise, but I feel my metabolism is set including my exercise, so that did not work for me.

I think what I need to do is shake up my exercise routine. I really hate running, but maybe I can add more walking. I also want to increase my general activity. I have let my gardens go over the last year or so, but maybe that is a good source of general activity.

Swimming is great exercise and easier on the joints, but isn't bone building. Women particularly need to make sure they have some impact exercise (walking, etc) for bone building.

My daughter is a swimmer and gets lots of exercise that way, but also does dry land workouts for strength and bone. She is 18, so obviously does not have to worry about bone loss at this point, but the more bone you build when younger, the better you are later. (Sorry- got off topic!!)

Anyway, good luck everyone!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do the BMI numbers depress anyone? I'm slightly into the overweight, but I exercise so much. It bums me out.

I'm going to the movies and I want to eat the POPCORN, but it's bad, bad, BAD:mad:

I just look at BMI telling me that im too short for my weight :whoopie:

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian, I love your take on the BMI. Me, too! I really recommend this new DVD I just got from Amazon, Kundalin Yoga by Ana Brett and Ravi Singh. I swim some, but am not in very good shape otherwise and this is pretty challenging and raises my body heat a lot. You can do the whole thing (about an hour) or just segments. It focuses on stimulating your glands and organs as well as increasing metabolism
Liz

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At the risk of getting something thrown at me, those of you who don't swim well and might otherwise swim if you did...TAKE A LESSON!

The Y, the local city pool &/or the local community college all offer low cost programs for adult swim students. I'm a reasonable swimmer (not great though) and from time to time will enroll in a 4 or 6 week winter or summer session at the local community college for some honing of my swim skills. It's cheap, it's educational and forces you to commit for that time.

(strapping on my helmet now)

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm like Denise. It's not See's, which is great stuff, but I got a box of Russell Stover for Christmas. It is gone. Tough job but I knew I could do it. So while I have started my new exercise program, now I can start to eat right too.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great to see everyone joining me on this (painful) journey. I didn't eat a box of See's candy but I did make double chocolate chip peppermint muffins for New Year's and managed to polish off all of the left over muffins on the 1st. Soooooooo good. So I am now paying the price big time.

I am going to do my Leslie Sansone video tonight after 2 nights of biking for 30 minutes because my Jenny consultant told me to do different types of exercises each day so my body doesn't get used to it too much.

I do like the idea of swimming, but frankly the thought of wet hair in this cool weather (yes, even here in San Diego) makes me want to crawl into bed with a good book. So swimming is gonna have to wait till the summer.

Any other aerobic type videos anyone can suggest that will help me burn some calories? Anyone have WII Fit for example? Does that provide aerobic activity or just stretching type of a workout?

Thanks and till later, Katherine

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
DH and I started walking again today. We are committed to at least 4 times a week, building up to 3 miles per day. We probably walked 1-2 mi. today.

(But I still have See's candy to finish!) :hysterical:

I like Leslie Sansone too....I should get those videos out...Hmmm...I don't think my VCR works anymore.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great to see everyone joining me on this (painful) journey. I didn't eat a box of See's candy but I did make double chocolate chip peppermint muffins for New Year's and managed to polish off all of the left over muffins on the 1st. Soooooooo good. So I am now paying the price big time.

I am going to do my Leslie Sansone video tonight after 2 nights of biking for 30 minutes because my Jenny consultant told me to do different types of exercises each day so my body doesn't get used to it too much.

I do like the idea of swimming, but frankly the thought of wet hair in this cool weather (yes, even here in San Diego) makes me want to crawl into bed with a good book. So swimming is gonna have to wait till the summer.

Any other aerobic type videos anyone can suggest that will help me burn some calories? Anyone have WII Fit for example? Does that provide aerobic activity or just stretching type of a workout?

Thanks and till later, Katherine

Slim in 6 is a great video. I lost 10 pounds with it - and I work out regularly. So it was a great instead - and it's easy to get started.
Wii Fit isn't going to be good enough exercise for anyone under the age of 75 - but it's more than nothing. My kids love it -and it's good to keep track of your weight. If you have kids, it's a good addition to your workouts - better than doing nothing. It has aerobic, balance, strength - everything - but again, it's not a great workout.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Katherine, the swimming works if you can use a hair dryer after. I live here in Wrightwood in the snow and work in Phelan, where it is often in the 30's and low 40's and sometimes it's the thought of taking off my clothes (even though it's indoors and heated) that gets to me. Plus a 45 minute freeway drive each way. I would like to swim 3 times per week, but I haven't been making it. This winter break, we have been held captive by incredible all day, bumper to bumper traffic on our one road in and out of town and by Vegas traffic on the 15.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kathy, you have a fabulous indoor pool in San Diegeo...the Plunge now operated by the Wave House in Mission Beach. If that's too far or cumbersome, go to this link to help locate an indoor pool closer to you.

http://www.swimmersguide.com/query/Main1.cfm

Swimmer guide is great in locating pools all over the world everyone. It was developed by swimmers who travel looking for pools they can swim at while on the road. An invaluable resource.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Already started

I was 269 three months ago and this morning 240.Ten pounds per month put I know that 6 per month for the next six months would be very good. I just started taking insulin as my 20 year type 2 diabetes coupled with a poor eat out everyday life style
caught up with me . My Blood glucose is now averaging 170 down from 350.
My June I plan to be 210 pounds and see if I can get off insulin and some of my other pills.

Judy999

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in as well

I'm in as well. Would like to lose 10 lbs by end of March :whoopie:

Will try to exercise 4 times a week and eat healthy.

Judy

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in. This is a great idea. My goal is to go from 186 to 170 lbs by the end of March.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in - checked my weight this morning (AFTER I was already dressed for work) 165 with my steel toe work boots on :)

I did great with Curves a few years ago, but the local chapter moved - they were about a block from my house. When they moved I was 142 and would love to get back to that!!

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying something new-again. I have tried every diet out there and lost at all of them! And then gained it back! I need to lose at least 15 pounds-20 would be great. I am like Ellen, I exercise A LOT. Well until I tore my ACL but that is another thread.
Due to the acl and not being able to exercise for a while I really gotta get my stuff together and figure out this eating issue.

I just read a book called "Blue Zones" by Dan Buettner. It is about the areas of the world with the longest longevity and it studies their lifestyles. One very important factor is that many of these people get a lot of exericse, I can do that, but they also eat most of their calories early in the day. Well I eat most of my calories after 4:00 due to trying to diet all day and then starving. Over the holidays I tried this and did not gain weight, did not lose, but hey it is the holidays! Of course they do not eat processed foods, much meat etc.

Very interesting read if anyone is interested. We shall see if it sticks for me.:shrug:

Sue