• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"New" Westin Flex - Includes WPORV, WKORV, WKORVN

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They hope to add part of WSJ to Westin Flex in the future.

What phase of WSJ could be added - Sunset Bay??? They are currently Home options like Nanea. I assume that it would be separate inventory being Flex. As an owner of that resort, I would be upset to compete for 12 months usage.

Why couldn’t any inventory for WSJ be converted to Flex as long as it is in a separate Flex pool (or any resort really). Why not? They own it - as long as the MF payment are equivalent, why would the HOA care? They are controlling inventory owned by them, or surrendered to them (for whatever reason) — as long as it is a separate pool from non-Flex weeks.

Perhaps Flex could actually help some HOAs - especially ones with low season weeks.
I suspect that it would only be deeded weeks from phases that are weeks that could be added to Westin Flex. Marriott's Frenchman's Cove weeks are in the DC trust, so no reason Vistana can't do the same. I don't think they could add inventory from those HomeOption phases, just like they can't add Nanea. It will take time to get St John weeks in there. It took Marriott a couple years before they started conveying St Thomas weeks to their DC trust.

-They aren't selling Westin Flex in Hawaii yet, because they aren't registered to sell it in Hawaii.
So it is really just a matter of time before they start selling Flex in Hawaii. Better buy those weeks now while you can still get them.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
-Vistana/Marriott has no plans to merge the various Flex programs.
I don't see how they could merge them in a tangible way. They are each setup as separate trusts, including Nanea and phases at WSJ. They of course all come together in VSN at 8 months. The only thing Marriott could do is provide some ratio to DC points to allow access to Marriott inventory.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned a few new things about Westin Flex from a reliable source:

-They aren't selling Westin Flex in Hawaii yet, because they aren't registered to sell it in Hawaii

They are indeed selling Westin Flex in Hawaii. We traded in some Nanea options for Westin Flex in December. We also traded in our deeded ownership in Princeville (sorry, I’m not fluent in the abbreviations yet) but rescinded that part of the transaction. I’m afraid we killed a tree in the process of doing the documentation twice!

So far we’ve been able to reserve 12 months out (Saturday check-in) in Kaanapali south for late January and President’s Day weekend next year. Had to pounce at 9:00 PST - last night was a nail-biter as the system kept balking. And no luck with a 1BR at Nanea.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That's interesting - were you physically in Hawaii when you purchased Westin Flex?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
They are indeed selling Westin Flex in Hawaii. We traded in some Nanea options for Westin Flex in December. We also traded in our deeded ownership in Princeville (sorry, I’m not fluent in the abbreviations yet) but rescinded that part of the transaction. I’m afraid we killed a tree in the process of doing the documentation twice!

So far we’ve been able to reserve 12 months out (Saturday check-in) in Kaanapali south for late January and President’s Day weekend next year. Had to pounce at 9:00 PST - last night was a nail-biter as the system kept balking. And no luck with a 1BR at Nanea.

You did great....Princeville is WPORV, Kaanapali is WKORV and North is WKORVN and Nanea is commonly used. II designation is WNA (Nanea) KAA (Kaanapali) KAN (Kaanapali North) WPV (Princeville).

MF's? Points? Price? Thanks.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's interesting - were you physically in Hawaii when you purchased Westin Flex?

Yes, we were.

You did great....Princeville is WPORV, Kaanapali is WKORV and North is WKORVN and Nanea is commonly used. II designation is WNA (Nanea) KAA (Kaanapali) KAN (Kaanapali North) WPV (Princeville).

MF's? Points? Price? Thanks.

Thanks! I can’t remember recall the numbers at this point. I will look them up..I know the MFs went down overall.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That's interesting - did you deal with a local Hawaii sales person, or with corporate sales over the phone?

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Last March we were offered Westin Flex in Maui after declining Nanea. We were also offered a deeded WKORVN unit after declining Westin Flex.
They will sell whatever they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The reason that I ask is that I have been told on good authority that Vistana is not licensed to sell this product in Hawaii yet, so it can only be purchased from corporate sales.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have the number of a Maui salesperson if you want to contact them and ask.

I believe they tried to sell me Westin Flex last Sept when we were on a Nanea Promo. Didn’t really pay much attention - spent most of the time BSing.

For the first time ever they offered me exchange value for our WKORV OFD ($65K) and WSJ ($16K) - of course if I came up with more cash...
Pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gee Dave, that's a real tempting offer, but I will pass... :D

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's interesting - did you deal with a local Hawaii sales person, or with corporate sales over the phone?

The reason that I ask is that I have been told on good authority that Vistana is not licensed to sell this product in Hawaii yet, so it can only be purchased from corporate sales.

Face to face in Kauai. I think your good authority is mistaken.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I would certainly believe that a resourceful closer and sales team could manage to 'massage' the process to indicate that a National 'tele-sale' had occurred vice a direct purchase.

Based on the astounding facts I've heard in some sales presentations (whoppers) that would be small meat.
(unless they got caught).

Who knows.

Can I clarify a point (Denise?): Upon resale, I think all the Westin Flex turns to dust. Is that true? So only flex property ressies using flex points from 12-0 months. No SO's. What about bank/borrow?

What are the resale restrictions on this new Hawaii Flex? (the only one I care to be interested in....)

TIA....

cheers.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Can I clarify a point (Denise?): Upon resale, I think all the Westin Flex turns to dust. Is that true? So only flex property ressies using flex points from 12-0 months. No SO's. What about bank/borrow?

What are the resale restrictions on this new Hawaii Flex? (the only one I care to be interested in....)
Flex doesn't really turn to dust upon resale, they are of course voluntary, so no SOs at 8 months out. There really is no Hawaii Flex, you may be talking about Nanea? If so, that is also voluntary.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Well, talking the 'new' Westin Flex as discussed in this thread.

It's too new for resale to really be an option for me......but I'm just looking for a way to supplement my WKORV OFD when we retire to get an extra week in Maui.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea Home Options and Westin (Hawaii) Flex are 2 different things - see beginning of this thread.

No banking/borrowing, or Staroption reservations if you buy any of the flex products resale, because the Staroptions don't transfer with a resale.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This means that Flex will depreciate rapidly if no SOs = cheap Hawaii resales. Not sure how Flex points would work in resale without banking borrowing.

Does that mean you have to use the points in the year?

Also can you rent out a flex unit reserved with points in years you cannot use?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think that the resale value will fall as far as Princeville resales did, because the Maui resorts are more popular than Princeville. I think the oceanfront location has a great deal to do with that.

If you buy Flex Options resale, you don't have Staroptions, so you can't bank or borrow. Usage expires at the end of each year. You own them, so yes, you can rent them.

RE: Banking and borrowing - Many people use their timeshares every year and don't bank or borrow, so for some that wouldn't be a obstacle to buying Flexoptions resale. If the resale cost of buying Flexoptions is less expensive that buying a resale deed on Maui, it might be a good value. And of course there is always renting and II.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
It will be interesting to see where it goes... There might be a short window of good buys for an extra week each year....
Or ???

travelpager

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana: WKV (AZ); SVV-Bella (FL); WRV (CO); some SheratonFlex
Is this new Info? I received it from an owner.

1/17/19 Update: I have redacted some of the contents of this post. I'm not going to say anything more about that publicly.

----------------

[redacted]

WESTIN FLEX

Book any season at your 7 home resorts
  • Book any number of days 12 months in advance at your 7 home resorts
  • Book any size villa 12 months in advance at your 7 home resorts
  • Book 7 home resorts at the 12 month booking window

Westin Flex Home resorts
  • Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas
  • Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas North
  • Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas –Kauai
  • Westin Desert Willow Villas – Palm Springs
  • Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas – Rancho Mirage
  • Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas - Beaver Creek CO
  • Westin Kierland – Scottsdale AZ
[redacted]

Your Vacation Ownership Interest (VOI) has a specific Home Options currency value (also known as ownership points). There are several ways you can use your Home Options during your “Home Resort Reservation Period” (HRRP) reservation window, which is 12 - 8 months in advance of your desired check-in dates:

• Use your Home Options to reserve ANY available villa size, any time of the year, at any of your Home Resorts

• Check-in and check-out ANY day of the week

• Reserve one night up to 14 nights in a single reservation

• Hold a maximum of three active reservations per VOI or package within the current Use Year

More Info:

The Westin Flex Sales Brochure -

The Westin Flex Home Resort Guide-

The Westin Flex Home Options Chart -

The Westin Flex Quick Start Guide -

[redacted]

I appreciate this thread. Please consider adding information on Westin Flex somewhere among the "sticky" posts. The sticky post with "Flex Options" in the title seems to predate the mass rollout of Westin Flex to VSE owners.

Fwiw, I still don't understand whether or how a purchase in either Flex program could be offered for "resale," but then I tend to have to read explanations of all things VSE several times before I understand. I have read (with curiosity but without interest) ads for Sheraton Flex aftermarket with or without a HomeResort listed and struggled with the concept of owning HomeOptions outside of VSN, i.e., HomeOptions that are not also StarOptions. Would there be annual dues (MF) and, if so, payable to ... what entity? The exercise is academic but (shrug) I still hope for clarity someday.

Thank you for all your work as moderator, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

trexmdr

Reaction score
Well I hate to say it but it’s going to be years before anyone has to wait reservations even in high seasons for Hawaii. Half the condos, apartments, Air B and B and timeshares are available year round to rent. With the covid tourism will not return to normal for years. Besides the psychological affect on travel the economy has taken a hit. People will drive to local destinations or have staycations or go camping. Much cheaper. I also feel retirees in general will be less likely to travel.
Eventually we may get back to high demand but for the foreseeable future flex is not a problem.
I would also not be surprised to see airline prices go up, maintenance fees go up as the cost to operate a timeshare due to covid precautions and state taxes go up on all properties as states need to cover the high short fall of tax revenues.
I am certainly wanting to hear some good news and a more happy outlook so please chime in.
RT

travelpager

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana: WKV (AZ); SVV-Bella (FL); WRV (CO); some SheratonFlex
Well I hate to say it but it’s going to be years before anyone has to wait reservations even in high seasons for Hawaii. Half the condos, apartments, Air B and B and timeshares are available year round to rent. With the covid tourism will not return to normal for years. Besides the psychological affect on travel the economy has taken a hit. People will drive to local destinations or have staycations or go camping. Much cheaper. I also feel retirees in general will be less likely to travel.
Eventually we may get back to high demand but for the foreseeable future flex is not a problem.
I would also not be surprised to see airline prices go up, maintenance fees go up as the cost to operate a timeshare due to covid precautions and state taxes go up on all properties as states need to cover the high short fall of tax revenues.
I am certainly wanting to hear some good news and a more happy outlook so please chime in.
RT

Somewhat consistent with your point, we just returned from Colorado, a driveable destination we chose (and drove) instead of international travel. Perhaps surprisingly, villas were "at capacity" BUT (1) local public health regulations required property not to exceed ___% normal capacity and (2) a LOT of people are eyeing Colorado as ideal for a staycation compared to international travel (outdoor activities, accessible by car, infection rates peaked early). I have found at least one post by a TUGger who had hoped to visit same resort but couldn't get a villa. I don't disagree with your point, but hadn't considered the impact of capacity reduction mandates before this trip. And, yeah, the sales force had just returned and gave it their all but really stood no chance with us.