• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Westgate Owner

drk

Reaction score
Hi, I'm DRK, and I'm new to this forum. Thank you, in advance, for any feedback provided.

I just bought a Timeshare for $18,000. Here is the description:

1. Two bedroom lockup with in-room jacuzzi
2. Every other year--1 week usage
3. 2 week usage yearly with Interval
4. In Building 5800 with view of Disney World fireworks
5. $800 maintenance every other year
6. Year-round float

Is this a decent value?

Thanks for your advice.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
No. Rescind. The contract and instructions are in a hidden Velcro flap inside the binder you got. You can buy much more for much less $$ at resale, not that you should have anything to do with wastegate. They are thieves and liars. Look through the thread under Buying, Selling, renting on rescinding Westgate. Towards the end, there are the addresses and some letter templates to get it done. Write the letter, send it, stay off the phone with them, then read, learn, save thousands.

Good luck!

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
note that this timeshare regularly sells for just a few dollars (literally, a few dollars as in its given away) on the resale market.

drk

Reaction score
If one of the owners is a non-US resident, does the rescission letter have to be sent/postmarked from his country of residence?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If one of the owners is a non-US resident, does the rescission letter have to be sent/postmarked from his country of residence?

You must rescind according to the instructions. Read them and follow them exactly (i.e. if is says to use U.S. Mail, don't FedEx, etc.).

It is highly unlikely that the requirements for rescission will change based on your residence; the required notice will be by a method that you can do here.

Last edited:

drk

Reaction score
Thank you, folks, for taking the time out of your schedule to enable us to correct our impulsive mistakes.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It all sounds very nice. But some of the benefits aren't as nice as they seem- for example if you have a float week they can't guarantee you will be in a building that you can see the fireworks. The Interval bonus weeks will have limited availability especially if you need to travel during the summer or during holiday weeks. Westgate makes it very difficult to sell.

A lot of people buy on impulse everyday but luckily you found this site while you can still undo what you did.

If you take your time you will be able to find something even better for 1/3 or less than what you paid.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
No, but be sure that all parties who signed the contract also sign the rescission letter.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Time is of the essence...

...be sure that all parties who signed the contract also sign the rescission letter.

...and be sure that the rescission letter bearing signature(s) of all parties gets postmarked within the applicable state law rescission period. It doesn't much matter when Westgate actually receives your rescission letter, but the actual postmark date of that rescission letter is critically important. Save any and all proof of postmark date materials issued to you for potential future reference.

Do not delay; if you snooze, you lose. Not becoming a Westgate owner is likely one of the smartest things that you will ever do. Congratulations.

Last edited:

drk

Reaction score
Thanks, folks, for the great advice!

I definitely WON'T be snoozing on this!

drk

Reaction score
Westgate Rescission

Hi guys,

Thanks again, in advance, for your input

Would I send the rescission letter to their corporate headquarters, where they are called "Central Florida Investments?"

or their address in Ocoee, FL?

or Town Center itself?

Or, perhaps, all three?

Also:

Do I have to return the contents of the briefcase which they provided me?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Hi guys,

Would I send the rescission letter to their corporate headquarters, where they are called "Central Florida Investments?"

or Town Center itself?

Or, perhaps, all three?

Also:

The correct address will be in the rescission instructions. Perhaps someone else knows which address for certain, but you need to make absolutely certain you do this this right. Don't call Westgate for clarification; they will mislead and perhaps misinform you to induce you to err.

They will charge you an absurd amount for the briefcase and contents if you don't return them (which you should also), but it is far, far more important to cancel the contract correctly.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You can add a line in the rescission letter to the effect that materials will be sent back in a separate mailing and then you can send them back in the least expensive manner possible.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tick tock...

Hi guys,

or Town Center itself?

Or, perhaps, all three?

Also:

By law, rescission (cancellation) instructions must be provided, in writing, right at the time of contract execution. Those rescission rights and instructions may be conveniently buried within a 'hidden pocket' in your binder, according to reports from other unfortunate Westgate almost-buyers. That aside:

1. The correct address to use to rescind a FL Westgate purchase is the Westgate corporate address in Ocoee, FL. There is no point (nor any validity) in sending anything to the resort address, since the rescission is processed at the corporate level. The complete and correct street address in Ocoee, FL can be easily found right here on TUG if you don't have it, by merely conducting a search of old Westgate posts. Anything sent to the resort could (and very well might) somehow fail to get forwarded on, or even just conveniently "disappear". I wouldn't put anything past Westgate, although even those weasels are loathe to openly defy the law. They might (...and they do) routinely lie, exaggerate, misrepresent and obfuscate --- but it would be legal and financial suicide for them to overtly defy the law and they most certainly realize that fact.

2. If you do not return the "owner materials", Westgate can (and will) lawfully withhold $50 from your refund for failing to do so. Is that junk worth $50 to you? Likely not --- but the more important and immediate task at hand is to get the rescission letter written, signed by all parties who signed the contract, postmarked and en route to the Ocoee corporate office address within the rescission period (for a developer-direct timeshare purchase in Florida, the rescission period under Florida law is unusually long at 10 days; it's as few as 3 days in a handful of U.S. states and it's 5-7 days in most others).

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP, I am out and about and just on a small tablet, but under the 'Buying, Selling, Renting' Furum, a thread called Rescinding a Westgate Purchase, the last page, post 261 has a nice template for a rescission letter, and the correct address.

You should have already put it in the mail by this time, so get a move on before it costs you dearly.

Jim

drk

Reaction score
My nephew-in-law lives in Trinidad. I am scanning the letter. He has to sign, then scan and email the letter back to me. All will be done on Monday, the 8th day after we bought the timeshare.

Again, thanks for your excellent advice.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
My nephew-in-law lives in Trinidad. I am scanning the letter. He has to sign, then scan and email the letter back to me. All will be done on Monday, the 8th day after we bought the timeshare.

Again, thanks for your excellent advice.

If it were me I'd just sign his name the way he signed the contract, may not be legal or right but if there is any delay in getting it from him you might consider it.

drk

Reaction score
Rescission Letter

You folks comprise a great website.

Would you mind taking a look at the letter I wrote, and would you please provide feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Westgate Resorts, Inc.
2801 Old Winter Garden Rd.
Ocoee, FL 34761
(407) 355-1000

October 19, 2014

To Whom It May Concern:

We want to cancel, immediately, our contract with Westgate Town Center/Westgate Resorts, Inc. to purchase a timeshare interest in Westgate Town Center. The Contact/Account # is xxxxxxxx. We are
exercising our legal right ro cancel this contract. We expect a full refund, via the credit card whose number ends in ****, of US xxxx This includes the down payment of US$ xxx, closing costs of xxx, and the Interval International dues of xx Please do not make any additional charges to our credit card. Please confirm our legal rescission in writing.

Pursuant to Section 721.07(06). Florida Statutes, we are entitled to ten (10) calendar days after the date we signed the contract (C/A# xxxxx), signed on October 13, 2014), to rescind (cancel) any timeshare contract that we have entered into. Therefore, we are notifying you in writing, as required by the above-mentioned Florida Statute, that we are hereby cancelling our contract to purchase a timeshare interest in your property known as Westgate Town Center, 7700 Westgate Blvd, Kissimmee, FL 34747.

Due to the cancellation, we expect that a total of USxxxx will, immediately upon receipt of this letter, be credited onto the credit card ending in ****.

CC of this letter will be sent by CertifiedMail, Return Receipt Requested, to:

Westgate Resorts, LTD
7700 Westgate Blvd
Kissimmee, FL 34747

To clarify and confirm one more time, we want to cancel our timeshare contract immediately. The C/A # is xxxxxxxxx. Please provide us with a written response showing you have received this letter within the rescission period to our addresses on file.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Sincerely yours,

xxxxxxx - Signature

xxxxxxx - Signature

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks good ... now get it into the postal mail -- certified return receipt at 8:30 AM tomorrow and a copy regular mail .... do NOT wait to do it; you could get hit by a truck.

And if that means taking the day off from work, it will be far cheaper than owning THAT timeshare FOREVER.