• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Vistana Login

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the Vistana website:
As of August 15, 2019, you will only be able to login with a Username and Password. Login and go to Security settings to view your Username. If the Username field is blank, please add one.

Normally I log in using my email and password, not my username.
Could this be part of the integration? Could this possibly help them merge the IT platforms? Does MVC use a similar login?

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
On the Vistana website:
As of August 15, 2019, you will only be able to login with a Username and Password. Login and go to Security settings to view your Username. If the Username field is blank, please add one.

Normally I log in using my email and password, not my username.
Could this be part of the integration? Could this possibly help them merge the IT platforms? Does MVC use a similar login?

I’ve always logged in with my username and password for years. I think it was changed before the acquisition. Even if it was implemented after the acquisition it is highly unlikely to do with it, since the username change was done fairly soon after. Combining anything on the tech side is usually the last thing to happen.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I’ve always logged in with my username and password for years. I think it was changed before the acquisition. Even if it was implemented after the acquisition it is highly unlikely to do with it, since the username change was done fairly soon after. Combining anything on the tech side is usually the last thing to happen.

One plausible explanation could be if the Vistana system allowed either email or username, but some future consolidated or cross-brand system will require just username, maybe someone made the decision to begin restricting that on the VSN system now so VSN owners will all/mostly be converted to the username/password standard prior to implementation of whatever they are going to do for 2020 or whenever. Might be simpler just to force that change now for VSN and get everybody consistent than trying to effect that change on top of everything else whenever that happens.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
One plausible explanation could be if the Vistana system allowed either email or username, but some future consolidated or cross-brand system will require just username, maybe someone made the decision to begin restricting that on the VSN system now so VSN owners will all/mostly be converted to the username/password standard prior to implementation of whatever they are going to do for 2020 or whenever. Might be simpler just to force that change now for VSN and get everybody consistent than trying to effect that change on top of everything else whenever that happens.
I’ve had a username to sign in for years before the invasion

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The point is, now you can log in with either the username/password or email/password. As of August 15th you will only be able to log in with the username/password. In a vacuum, this would not mean much but given the speculation of an integrated product/ system, this MAY mean they are closer to integrating the IT platforms.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The point is, now you can log in with either the username/password or email/password. As of August 15th you will only be able to log in with the username/password. In a vacuum, this would not mean much but given the speculation of an integrated product/ system, this MAY mean they are closer to integrating the IT platforms.
I think everyone is reaching with this one. We are talking about a username and password vs an email and password. Having different programs and different IT is ok. considering the CEO said vistana side of the business had more advanced ie superior digital applications I hope they just leave it separate. Don’t feel like dealing with lacking Marriott applications.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Understood, but as DannyTS said, you've had the option to log-in using either email or username and password. If the corporate standard going forward - irrespective of which tech platform(s) they ultimately use - is to require a username/password only and eliminate the email option, it would make sense to try to start transitioning VSN folks to that model on their current platform, even if that current platform is a "surviving" one. Maybe the MVW data security folks like the username/password approach better and want that to be the design moving forward for all systems.

As their CEO said, they have already consolidated their management team/organization structure, so the technology teams that maintain legacy Marriott system, the legacy Vistana system, the legacy Hyatt system, II systems, etc. all now report to Dwight D. Smith, the EVP and Chief Information Officer. So with Information Systems management under common management, expect to see them align at least practices and protocols, if not actual systems.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
of course, an alternative explanation would be that they deem a username/password login safer than an email/password login since the email address can be known by potential hackers.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
of course, an alternative explanation would be that they deem a username/password login safer than an email/password login since the email address can be known by potential hackers.

That was my point just above in post #8. Irrespective of any future consolidation, just the fact that VSE tech is now managed by the same senior management team that manages all of the MVW systems, you can expect practices and protocols -- and that includes data security standards -- to be aligned across systems. If MVW thinks that approach is more secure they will require that as the corporate standard. A side benefit is it makes any future integration easier as well.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
So if I understand correctly. You now can ONLY have a username for VSN log in because VSN will be turning into the DC program. Since it is all owned by senior management and MVC has put so much into DC program

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
So if I understand correctly. You now can ONLY have a username for VSN log in because VSN will be turning into the DC program. Since it is all owned by senior management and MVC has put so much into DC program

It is just they are trying to simplify things. I'm sure it will cost less in IT maintenance to not deal with both email and username. Everyone is thinking too much. :shrug:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
It is just they are trying to simplify things. I'm sure it will cost less in IT maintenance to not deal with both email and username. Everyone is thinking too much. :shrug:
Wayyyyy too much lol.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Wayyyyy too much lol.

I received the same email from Delta that they no longer accept email as login. Just easier for IT maintenance. :crash:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I received the same email from Delta that they no longer accept email as login. Just easier for IT maintenance. :crash:
Hmm I wonder if that means Vistana owners won’t be able to fly delta anymore unless they buy into the DC program

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

No one said it would be turned into the DC program. That has nothing to do with it. But MVW said at that investor conference that they do want to integrate their lines of business better than ILG had done, and standardizing login/data security standards could be one very small element of that.

It seems like every time someone suggests that MVW might be changing the way the former ILG does things, some Vistana owners get defensive that things in their world might change. I can almost guarantee you that things in the Vistana world are going to change, just as I’m pretty sure things are going to change in the MVC world too. We all might like some of those changes and dislike others, but both of our worlds are going to change in the months and years ahead. VSE wasn’t perfect before the merger and neither was MVC. Hopefully whatever change happens, it will be a net positive. I’m optimistic, but that’s just me I guess.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
No one said it would be turned into the DC program. That has nothing to do with it. But MVW said at that investor conference that they do want to integrate their lines of business better than ILG had done, and standardizing login/data security standards could be one very small element of that.

It seems like every time someone suggests that MVW might be changing the way the former ILG does things, some Vistana owners get defensive that things in their world might change. I can almost guarantee you that things in the Vistana world are going to change, just as I’m pretty sure things are going to change in the MVC world too. We all might like some of those changes and dislike others, but both of our worlds are going to change in the months and years ahead. VSE wasn’t perfect before the merger and neither was MVC. Hopefully whatever change happens, it will be a net positive. I’m optimistic, but that’s just me I guess.
Nothing to do with being defensive. Just tired of one simple question or change going down the rabbit hole of speculation. Does it really matter why? I mean, it’s a username vs email address lol.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Nothing to do with being defensive. Just tired of one simple question or change going down the rabbit hole of speculation. Does it really matter why? I mean, it’s a username vs email address lol.

The OP asked if the login procedure change could be related to changes coming from the MVW merger or consolidation. That was the original question in post #1. We were simply trying to offer some thoughts on whether that might be the case or not. No rabbit holes.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
@CPNY I agree that we sometimes speculate a little bit too much and we see signs where there are probably none. But all this is not completely useless. People are constantly adjusting their TS portfolios, and certain questions have to be asked in the current context.
How are the following going to be post integration (if that ever happens): home resort reservations, internal exchanges, external exchanges, maintenance fees, other fees, the quality of the management of the resort etc.
Even if the program may be very different from what I expect, it is still better that I know what is going on. I bought 2 more Vistana contracts this year and I believe that knowing the most likely scenarios have helped me to make the best decisions I could at the time.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The OP asked if the login procedure change could be related to changes coming from the MVW merger or consolidation. That was the original question in post #1. We were simply trying to offer some thoughts on whether that might be the case or not. No rabbit holes.
Good. Because next thing we know, posts are flying how the username change is only for VSN owners who own DC points and if you’re able to log in with your new username it means that Wyndham is buying us all.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
@CPNY I agree that we sometimes speculate a little bit too much and we see signs where there are probably none. But all this is not completely useless. People are constantly adjusting their TS portfolios, and certain questions have to be asked in the current context.
How are the following going to be post integration (if that ever happens): home resort reservations, internal exchanges, external exchanges, maintenance fees, other fees, the quality of the management of the resort etc.
Even if the program may be very different from what I expect, it is still better that I know what is going on. I bought 2 more Vistana contracts this year and I believe that knowing the most likely scenarios have helped me to make the best decisions I could at the time.
I also bought two more contracts. I should prob stop buy Vistana contracts but I’m all in on mandatory resorts.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Good. Because next thing we know, posts are flying how the username change is only for VSN owners who own DC points and if you’re able to log in with your new username it means that Wyndham is buying us all.

I'm just not sure why it seems every discussion that winds up going into issues surrounding the merger seems to result in the same kind of sorta snarky comments about MVC, DC, MVC owners, etc. (Ex. posts #1, 15, 20 above). I know the one poster in that other long thread that was repeating what an MVC sales person said kind of hacked some of the VSE owners off, but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. We're all in this together and we're all just as much in the dark as everyone else. No need for the snark.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually bought only voluntary this year. The market price for voluntary does not include an internal exchange that may or may not exist in 5 years from now (or it could be greatly diminished). I felt that I would have less to lose with voluntary and only upside if we are offered enrollment. One week is to use, the other one is to exchange in II with Vistana priority (possibly plus Marriott, Hyatt in the future?).

One of the contracts is a platinum 2 bdr lockoff Oceanside at Lagunamar and I am very happy with the purchase regardless of what the overlay will look like.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm expecting any day now to learn that the same thing will be happening with marriott.com/Bonvoy accounts. Right now it's either a User Name or an email address, like Vistana I guess, but User Name-only is a more secure system. With Marriott getting hit with a humongous lawsuit over the years-long Starwood security breach that Marriott inherited in the acquisition, they're definitely going to be responding in a big way eventually.

You know, I almost said as much in my post above but thought twice about it, kept it instead to only how we Marriott timeshare people log in to our accounts, because I didn't want to look as though I were somehow insulting Starwood/Vistana even though we're all probably going to pay for that mess in one way or another. Thanks, Starwood.

So there. A potshot lobbed at Vistana people after the constant potshots that you people love lobbing at Marriott. We're not quite even yet, but we're done. Do you really think that the people who are trying to help you by answering your questions are going to stick around and be insulted every time you feel like it? Speaking for myself, I'm not.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I'm just not sure why it seems every discussion that winds up going into issues surrounding the merger seems to result in the same kind of sorta snarky comments about MVC, DC, MVC owners, etc. (Ex. posts #1, 15, 20 above). I know the one poster in that other long thread that was repeating what an MVC sales person said kind of hacked some of the VSE owners off, but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. We're all in this together and we're all just as much in the dark as everyone else. No need for the snark.
Snarky? Maybe facetious in the fact that the speculation by people is becoming humorous. It’s simple, I don’t need ownership. I’m truly not worried, if things don’t work out from this invasion I’ll simply walk away and never look back. But in the common theme of everyone else, MVC can be bought out in the future. Nothing is impossible. That’s a fact.