• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Vidanta Fees and Restrictions in RCI

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
As a followup to the discussion of increased fees for Vidanta exchanges through II in the following thread in the Exchanging Timeshares forum, Vidanta has now updated the fees and restrictions for RCI exchanges.

-------

For Nuevo Vallarta, the listing for Grand Luxxe (RB71) includes the following (there's a pop-up window saying fee payment is due 30 days prior to check in that is a bit inconsistent with the 14 days in this part):

Resort Fees

Resort amenities fee is 600.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted.
Mandatory resort fee per 1B unit, per reservation.
Resort amenities fee is 950.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted.
Mandatory resort fee per 2B unit, per reservation.
Mandatory resort fee per 3B unit, per reservation.
Mandatory resort fee per 4B unit, per reservation.
Resort amenities fee is 250.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted.
Mandatory resort fee per Hotel unit, per reservation.
Resort amenities fee is 250.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted.
Mandatory resort fee per Studio unit, per reservation.

General Urgent Information

Prior to travel, RCI recommends contacting your host resort as well as local, state and federal websites for advisories that may impact your travel or vacation experience.

This resort has Mandatory Resort Fees. You are responsible for paying the applicable Mandatory Resort Fee that is listed in the Fees Tab on rci.com as of the date of confirmation. Pre-payment should be done 14 days before check-in date.
Security deposit required upon check-in at the resort.
Fees or deposits are charged for some amenities.
Credit card imprint required upon check-in at the resort.
Other Urgent Information

To prepay from the US or Canada please call 844-909-4799, from the UK call 808-234-0488, or contact us via email at prepayment@vidantarf.com. For further details about Resort Fee benefits please visit www.premiumvacationbenefits.com Resort Fee does not cover local taxes. Reservations made less than 48 hrs prior to the check-in date will not be accepted.

The resort will reflect the RCI reservation 72 hours after it has been confirmed. Guest Certificates are not allowed unless the RCI member is traveling and checking in to the resort. A guest certificate must be added to any multiple reservation made by the member with the same checking weekend. On consecutive weeks the member must be travelling.

Consecutive reservations must start on the same day of the week and multiple reservations must be confirmed in same regions. VIDANTA owners can only exchange their week back to a VIDANTA resort equal to or less than the product or property acquired.
Example: Mayan Palace Owner can confirm the same or Sea Garden, they cannot confirm Grand Mayan. Reservations that violate this rule will be cancelled.

-------

Note that the entries are a bit different for the different levels; Vidanta owners are still restricted from exchanging into GL Spa NV and GL Villa NV, and can now not exchange into the GL Celebrate Loft NV (i.e., the studio and 1 BR loft units in tower 5).

For Riviera Maya, the listing for The GL Jungle reads as follows:

-------

Mandatory Fees

Mandatory Environment Tax is 26.06 local currency. Only Credit Cards accepted.
Mandatory Enviroment Tax per reservation, per night apply to HTL and 1BEDROOM units.
Mandatory Environment Tax is 52.12 local currency. Only Credit Cards accepted.
Mandatory Enviroment Tax per reservation, per night apply for 2BEDROOM units.

Resort Fees

Resort amenities fee is 450.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted.
Mandatory resort fee per 1B unit, per reservation.
Resort amenities fee is 700.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted.
Mandatory resort fee per 2B unit, per reservation.
Mandatory resort fee per 3B unit, per reservation.
Mandatory resort fee per 4B unit, per reservation.
Resort amenities fee is 200.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted.
Mandatory resort fee per Hotel unit, per reservation.
Resort amenities fee is 200.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted.
Mandatory resort fee per Studio unit, per reservation.

General Urgent Information

Prior to travel, RCI recommends contacting your host resort as well as local, state and federal websites for advisories that may impact your travel or vacation experience.
This resort has Mandatory Resort Fees. You are responsible for paying the applicable Mandatory Resort Fee that is listed in the Fees Tab on rci.com as of the date of confirmation. Pre-payment should be done 14 days before check-in date.
Fees or deposits are charged for some amenities.
Credit card imprint required upon check-in at the resort.
Security deposit required upon check-in at the resort.

Other Urgent Information

*To prepay from the US or Canada please call 844-909-4799, from the UK call 808-234-0488, or contact us via email at prepayment@vidantarf.com. *For further details about Resort Fee benefits please visit www.premiumresortbenefits.com *Resort Fee does not cover local taxes. *Reservations made less than 48 hrs prior to the check-in date will not be accepted.
The resort will reflect the RCI reservation 72 hours after it has been confirmed. Guest Certificates are not allowed unless the RCI member is traveling and checking in to the resort. A guest certificate must be added to any multiple reservation made by the member with the same checking weekend. On consecutive weeks the member must be travelling.
* Consecutive reservations must start on the same day of the week and multiple reservations must be confirmed in same regions. Vidanta owners cannot confirm this inventory through RCI, even if they are multi-owners or Platinum members. INVENTORY FOR RCI PLATINUM PARTNERS ONLY
For discounts on, tours or entertainment attractions, send an email to contacto@rcitravel.com.mx or call from Mexico 5283-0973; and from the USA 001844-8582517
Offer includes only accommodations and specifically excludes travel costs and other expenses that may be incurred.

-------

The Grand Mayan and down have the same restriction for Vidanta ownership levels as NV. They've corrected the limitations on exchanging into the GL Spa RM 2 BRs to include the restriction preventing Vidanta owners from booking through RCI.

With these resort fees, it's starting to get closer to parity between an inexpensive exchange to GL and a Vidanta usage fee. Fees are slightly lower for the Marina Mayan Palace ($200 studio, $450 1 BR, $700 2 BR), which seems like it makes it actually less expensive to pay the usage fee.

gudtogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
"This resort has Mandatory Resort Fees. You are responsible for paying the applicable Mandatory Resort Fee that is listed in the Fees Tab on rci.com as of the date of confirmation. Pre-payment should be done 14 days before check-in date."

I was notified today by RCI that the Mandatory Resort Fees had increased. "We realize this may have an impact on your vacation." RCI leads me to believe that I am required to pay this higher fee for an exchange that was confirmed in February 2020 for a stay in March 2021. The fees were lower on the date of confirmation. Do TUGers agree that I am not liable retroactively for a fee increase that occurs after the date of confirmation?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter what we think, does it? I'd check with RCI to see if you have to pay it. The fees have gotten way too high to make it a trade I'd want to do anymore.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The current language in the fees tab includes this: “You are responsible for paying the applicable Mandatory Resort Fee that is listed in the Fees Tab on rci.com as of the date of confirmation”

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The current language in the fees tab includes this: “You are responsible for paying the applicable Mandatory Resort Fee that is listed in the Fees Tab on rci.com as of the date of confirmation”
It is important to have the original confirmation when you check in. They have always honored what was in effect when you booked.

They change these fees regularly with RCI & II - sometimes it is per person and other times by unit size and level. Sometimes Vidanta owners have the fees waived and sometimes, they can book "up" to a higher level than they own.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked honestly that Vidanta is doing this. What with COVID and everything, they're really not wanting people to come visit them it seems.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
If you go to the website they provide the link to it includes the following in the terms & conditions at
https://www.premiumresortbenefits.com/docs/tyc-en.pdf as of July 8, 2020. Looks like they're softening it a bit with resort credits ($100 studio, $200 1 BR, and $250 2 BR for NV&RM) and a couple other things (e.g., tour certificate for two to Chichen Itza or San Sebastian del Oeste), but they don't really advertise those well at all. If you don't go to the terms and conditions, you won't see them. I agree, though, they are doing a fabulous job of socially distancing from exchangers....

Attachments

• tyc-en.pdf
    144.5 KB · Views: 47

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
I'm shocked honestly that Vidanta is doing this. What with COVID and everything, they're really not wanting people to come visit them it seems.
I think its less of whether they don't want people visiting but more of twisting arms so that people are motivated to attend a Sales-Presentation.
E.g. Give me your money for no good reason and I promise to give you 50% back if you give me your time.

Although we have been to Vidanta resorts in the past. Never again due to the principle of unfairness.
Fairness-Principle
We pay high MF for our Marriott in Hawaii and when we visit we [including Non-Owner Exchangers] are not Nickle-Dimed for things like Parking, WiFi, Cleaning.
Most resorts may at worst add a City/Government mandated tax or depending on location [major city] charge for parking.
When Vidanta owners visit my home-resort they benefit from basic facilities as I pay high MF, however, when I visit Vidanta resorts I help subsidize their MF by paying this high Resort-Fee.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think its less of whether they don't want people visiting but more of twisting arms so that people are motivated to attend a Sales-Presentation.
E.g. Give me your money for no good reason and I promise to give you 50% back if you give me your time.

Although we have been to Vidanta resorts in the past. Never again due to the principle of unfairness.
Fairness-Principle
We pay high MF for our Marriott in Hawaii and when we visit we [including Non-Owner Exchangers] are not Nickle-Dimed for things like Parking, WiFi, Cleaning.
Most resorts may at worst add a City/Government mandated tax or depending on location [major city] charge for parking.
When Vidanta owners visit my home-resort they benefit from basic facilities as I pay high MF, however, when I visit Vidanta resorts I help subsidize their MF by paying this high Resort-Fee.

Gotta say that I'm on your side on this one. Vidanta seems to me to be going down the wrong path on this with the fees. The real problem is that they build for the high season and have a lot of spare inventory in the shoulder and low seasons; they try to leverage this in the exchanges in order to get more customers to target for sales. The trouble is that they don't do a good job of segmenting the market they are allowing exchanges from so that there are some owners of high cost/quality resorts like @MICROZE that would be charged the same fees as owners exchanging with much less expensive/lower quality resorts. Frankly, I'm happy to exploit this and use a TS that cost me $400 for a week's MF to get into a high-end Vidanta resort for a lot less than it would otherwise cost me using what I own there. I'm probably in the minority of exchangers going there, as are many TUGgers, but it has always struck me that they aren't really striving to be fair - they just want sales prospects. Seems like a shame that they are turning off the better ones, if you consider folks willing to pay higher MFs at higher quality resorts to be them.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never been to a Vidanta property but it was on our short list, even if not in the top 5. I am no longer interested though, I find the fees ridiculous. I understand that the resorts are rather big, not necessarily my preference so this just puts it over the top.

With that being said, I understand why they keep on increasing the fees. If I understand correctly, most of the exchange inventory is from the developer. They sell and maintain a premium product and that is very costly. What is Vidanta's benefit if I give a low MF to Interval and I get a 2 BR there in exchange? Probably not too much and they may prefer to keep the units empty if people do not want to pay these ridiculous fees. Some however may still be attracted by the idea of a luxury product, block their nose and pay the fees so Vidanta will make some money that way. Probably those that are ready to pay the fees are also better qualified to buy from the developer, something that the repeat exchangers will very rarely do.

Last edited:

TjTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA
The 1BR in Cabo includes the plunge pool?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It does. It's the larger half of a 2 BR lock off (Master Suite). You can see it on the floor plan as well as how the Master Room (studio side) fits with the 1 BR to make up the 2 BR.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
.......Probably those that are ready to pay the fees are also better qualified to buy from the developer, something that the repeat exchangers will very rarely do.

Yes developer sales by their Vida Sales Machine - is the reason Vidanta manages their inventory to keep the hopper full of prospects.

Using RCI / TPU’s +exchange fee + resort fees can still be a good value when you calculate the all in cost for the quality level.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct, they can still be a good value given the top quality. My view is of course personal, I can find better value somewhere else in places that are more suitable for what I want. I prefer to be closer to the beach, have a nice ocean view and those are hard to get I understand at Vidanta since the resorts are very large and spread out. To me, nothing replaces the beauty of the ocean, no matter how nice the kitchen.
But maybe the grapes are too sour for me, I do not even know what I am missing since I have not been there. Maybe I will bite once and play exactly as they want me to.

1594329618911.png

This was a view from our unit at Lagunamar.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
...What is Vidanta's benefit if I give a low MF to Interval and I get a 2 BR there in exchange? Probably not too much and they may prefer to keep the units empty if people do not want to pay these ridiculous fees...

Actually, the benefit is that they can fill otherwise empty rooms with guests who eat at their restaurants, buy drinks at the bar, shop in their boutiques, buy golf and spa packages, help their staff earn a living wage by tipping generously, etc.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, the benefit is that they can fill otherwise empty rooms with guests who eat at their restaurants, buy drinks at the bar, shop in their boutiques, buy golf and spa packages, help their staff earn a living wage by tipping generously, etc.
The restaurant business is typically very low margin, but this is different. In general you are probably right, every dollar counts. I am wondering though, with the limitations now regarding Covid, they may not want the extra people to share the same tables with the owners if the number of seats is very limited.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really doubt they are anywhere near Covid capacity limits. Plus, they were raising fees long before Covid.

rpennisi

Reaction score
The restaurant business is typically very low margin, but this is different. In general you are probably right, every dollar counts. I am wondering though, with the limitations now regarding Covid, they may not want the extra people to share the same tables with the owners if the number of seats is very limited.
I am surprised to see that you say that their restaurant business is typically very low margin. Having eaten numerous times on site and off site, the on site prices are considerably higher for meals, and especially for drinks. Empty suites don't bring in any revenue from restaurants, tours, shows and special events, as well as tipping.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am surprised to see that you say that their restaurant business is typically very low margin. Having eaten numerous times on site and off site, the on site prices are considerably higher for meals, and especially for drinks. Empty suites don't bring in any revenue from restaurants, tours, shows and special events, as well as tipping.
The average net profit margin in the US is 2-6%. This is the reason why many hotels do not operate their own restaurants. The cost structure must be different in Mexico, the labor is cheaper, but the prices are also lower. If I go to a good steak house in Cancun, the prices are 25%-40% less than the equivalent restaurant in the US.

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so glad I got out of my Vidanta units. I used to love owning it since it was one of the few non-AI units in the Cancun/Riviera Maya area. We love traveling to Mexico but over the past years have come to prefer staying in luxurious AI resorts where all the food, all the drinks, all the entertainment is included. When I see these new Vidanta resort fees, when I figure out the total cost using one of my units plus exchange fee, plus return transportation, plus all the food, beverages, tours added on, wow, the AIs are a bargain. Since I often travel with another gal friend to Mexico, we don't often venture out on our own but take advantage of the many resort-sponsored excursions that are included and feel perfectly safe. We are treated like royalty, and enjoy our great meals and top-shelf drinks without it costing us another penny. I know many TUGgers prefer to spend a lot of time off-resort, but for travelers like me and my friends, Vidanta is now a really poor choice.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They have been playing with the fees for years now. If exchanges drop below a certain level they will probably lower the fee. In the mean time raise the prices until they stop coming.