• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New vacation option [HHI Home for DC Points Use]

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Email just arrived...copying from iPhone I hope this works!

Discover a New Place to Call Home on Hilton Head Island

For Owners seeking another option for hosting family and friends on vacation, we’re proud to announce a new opportunity on Hilton Head Island and yet another exciting way to use Vacation Club Points!

Chosen especially to accommodate big groups and even bigger vacation dreams, this 4,200-square-foot home on Hilton Head Island is the perfect place to connect with your loved ones. It features 5 bedrooms and 4.5 bathrooms - plus a variety of quality finishes and luxurious amenities, including:

Gourmet kitchen with stainless steel appliances
Hardwood and tile floors
Stone fireplace
Private pool with hot tub
2-car garage
And more
During your stay at this vacation home in Forest Beach, you can walk to the beach or to Coligny Plaza and explore more than 60 shops and restaurants, play a round of golf on one of the island’s many courses or stroll along miles of sandy shores.

This new offering is the latest addition to the Explorer Collection and is first being introduced to Chairman's Club Owners.

Last edited by a moderator:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yeah. Sounds nice. Don't think that'll be on my, ehem, lowly weeks owner platter anytime soon!

;>

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Interesting, I know this has been talked about in the past. But why not have options available in places where they don't already have a tonne of timeshare properties? I suppose it will be good for those with a lot of points that want to do a big reunion trip, but I wonder if the points for two or three units in another HHI property will be cheaper than this?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I wonder what the address is ... a few weeks ago a TUGger told me s/he'd heard that MVW purchased a home on HHI for DC Points usage but the home was supposedly near SurfWatch and the folks booking it would be able to use SW amenities. I don't know where "Forest Park" is on the island but SW definitely isn't within walking distance of Coligny Circle ...

Email linked to this page.

I'll be calling tomorrow to find out Points requirements. It's on the Explorer Collection page of the website already but says only, "Weekly occupancy starting at 3,600 Vacation Club Points."

Last edited:

DannyMc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Royal Palms, Orlando; Marriott's Grande Ocean, HHI; Marriott's Barony Beach Club, HHI;
MVC Trust Points
Forest Beach

I wonder what the address is ... a few weeks ago a TUGger told me s/he'd heard that MVW purchased a home on HHI for DC Points usage but the home was supposedly near SurfWatch. I don't know where "Forest Park" is on the island but SW definitely isn't within walking distance of Coligny Circle ...

Email linked to this page.

I'll be calling tomorrow to find out Points requirements.

The email indicated it was in "Forest BEACH", which is probably North Forest Beach that is near Coligny.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The email indicated it was in "Forest BEACH", which is probably North Forest Beach that is near Coligny.

It's the linked page that says Forest Park. Could be that's a community within Forest Beach or could be that's a mistake. Either way it seems this is closer to Grande Ocean and Monarch than to any of the other HHI resorts.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
New Home option in HHI

I receive the email too, tonight. This is a great new option. The Forest Beach area is near Grande Ocean, convenient location near great beaches and Coligny Plaza. As owners at Grande Ocean, we could use our day pass privileges to use the facilities there.
I am planning on calling tomorrow to find out the point usage and availability for later in the summer. Houses like this in HH would rent for between $2,500-$3,500 week.
I'm glad to see Marriott is finally rolling out some new options for MVC owners. We have already reserved a few nights at the new VC in South Beach! More options and more ways to vacation!
Brian

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I'll be calling tomorrow to find out Points requirements. It's on the Explorer Collection page of the website already but says only, "Weekly occupancy starting at 3,600 Vacation Club Points."

Houses like this in HH would rent for between $2,500-$3,500 week.

With the cheapest winter weeks at Grande Ocean going for about 22% of the highest summer weeks, could we see weekly point needs for peak summer time in the 16,000 point range for this house?

If Luvtoride's cash rental estimate is correct, I'm betting this is going to be like most of the Explorer collection options, not a great value....unless of course you have points to burn.

Last edited:

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
HH House Points required

With the cheapest winter weeks at Grande Ocean going for about 22% of the highest summer weeks, could we see weekly point needs for peak summer time in the 16,000 point range for this house?

If Luvtoride's cash rental estimate is correct, I'm betting this is going to be like most of the Explorer collection options, not a great value....unless of course you have points to burn.

I just spoke to Marriott VC about the HH house. It is available to book now and Fasttr wasn't too far wrong on the peak season points. For the high summer season weeks (I asked starting July 1) it 12,750 points for the week (weekly rentals only). It stays at this level until the week of Aug 19th when it drops to 7,300 points through most of October. The week of Oct 28th it drops again to 5,500 points and in January it is at the lowest rate of 3,600 points. We would definitely consider booking this house at the 7,300 point level for late August, as that's the usual time we vacation at HH.
Looked at another way, dividing this cost split between 4 or 5 couples would come out to 1,500-1,800 points per couple for the week.
Really not a bad deal to rent a great house in HH!
I didn't book it yet, but will check to see which of our friends or family would be available later in the summer to join us.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can bike to Coligney Circle from there, so not a bad location, distance wise. Being outside a plantation definitely means you have less control of what adjacent homes might look like.

It is not convenient to use the amenities at Grande Ocean nor Surfwatch.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
It's certainly an interesting option -- and I would love to have a family reunion at a place like this. I hope Marriott expands this concept to other locations too and that we see these homes in ski and beach spots.

Best,

Greg

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I just spoke to Marriott VC about the HH house. It is available to book now and Fasttr wasn't too far wrong on the peak season points. For the high summer season weeks (I asked starting July 1) it 12,750 points for the week (weekly rentals only). It stays at this level until the week of Aug 19th when it drops to 7,300 points through most of October. The week of Oct 28th it drops again to 5,500 points and in January it is at the lowest rate of 3,600 points. We would definitely consider booking this house at the 7,300 point level for late August, as that's the usual time we vacation at HH.
Looked at another way, dividing this cost split between 4 or 5 couples would come out to 1,500-1,800 points per couple for the week.
I didn't book it yet, but will check to see which of our friends or family would be available later in the summer to join us.

There is a rental at 30 Pelican which must be right next door (perhaps a little bigger, but seemingly not at nicely finished as the MVC house) that is listed for $4061 all-in for the week of August 20-27, so if that is more in line with the actual house rental values in that specific area, then your 7,300 points at that time of the year is not all that bad.

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I wrong, or would not the maintenance fee on 12,700 points be about $6,300.00? I would bet that you could rent just about anything not directly ocean front for that.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Interesting, I know this has been talked about in the past. But why not have options available in places where they don't already have a tonne of timeshare properties? I suppose it will be good for those with a lot of points that want to do a big reunion trip, but I wonder if the points for two or three units in another HHI property will be cheaper than this?

A 3BR SurfWatch gardenview unit goes for 5,000 DC Points in July, so yes it would be cheaper to go that route.

We've had a few family trips when a crew has rented the vacation homes around the corner from SW and those have been a blast! Now that we have a home on the island we won't be booking our home Weeks as often. This gives us the option of electing DC Points for our Weeks and putting the overflow of family trips in something closer to our home than SW or Barony. It wouldn't be cost-effective on a regular basis but will work for occasional trips.

(Sometimes I wonder if MVW is in my head and planning for the exact situations that I need. It sounds ridiculous but there haven't been many DC-related options that don't fit right in with the ways we'd like our Marriott ownership to work.)

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott is, in fact, leasing the house from the current owners: http://rodweb.bcgov.net/nvtest/details_popup.asp?doc_id=7878760&pg_count=3&pg_num=1

Interesting that it's only a one-year lease, 3/26/16-3/25/17, but then again what's recorded is "not a complete summary of the Lease" so maybe the master lease allows for an extended term with annual auto-renewals.

If I used the Search function correctly then this is the only lease arrangement Marriott's entered into with any HHI property owners. I wonder how the connection was made between them, if Marriott reached out to Hilton Head Vacations, Inc or if it was the other way around. Hmmmmm.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott is, in fact, leasing the house from the current owners: http://rodweb.bcgov.net/nvtest/details_popup.asp?doc_id=7878760&pg_count=3&pg_num=1

That's very interesting -- perhaps they are experimenting to see if this is popular before committing to a purchase? I'd think if they were going to buy it, they would just buy it outright. Could it be more complicated to buy it? I wouldn't think so, since it's deeded real estate. Very strange, I appreciate your finding this.

Best,

Greg

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's very interesting -- perhaps they are experimenting to see if this is popular before committing to a purchase?

This was my first thought, as well. It would make sense for Marriott to gauge the interest, especially since they already have so many incredibly popular timeshare resorts in Hilton Head.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
This was my first thought, as well. It would make sense for Marriott to gauge the interest, especially since they already have so many incredibly popular timeshare resorts in Hilton Head.

I gauge the interest by what the history already is in Hilton Head, and it's immensely popular and becoming quite difficult to get anything in the summer. The shoulder seasons are becoming increasingly more difficult too because that time is the only thing that seems to come open for those who can't get in other times, not to mention the best temps occur then anyway. Occupancy rates at Hh resorts are as high as anywhere in their system, and note that there are 8 timeshare properties on HH Island. GO occupancy is perennially at the top.

I think homes at HH would be fantastic acquisitions. Location is important though, and access to facilities is a big plus if possible.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Not all MF are equal

Am I wrong, or would not the maintenance fee on 12,700 points be about $6,300.00? I would bet that you could rent just about anything not directly ocean front for that.

Not all of our points are purchased DC trust points. In fact most of our points are from enrolling our weeks in the DC points program. Maintainence fees for our properties are much less than .50/ pt than Trust points MF. I own both Trust points and converted points but haven't done a full average point MF analysis (but I probably should since they have all been paid in the last 3 months).

Brian

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I gauge the interest by what the history already is in Hilton Head, and it's immensely popular and becoming quite difficult to get anything in the summer. The shoulder seasons are becoming increasingly more difficult too because that time is the only thing that seems to come open for those who can't get in other times, not to mention the best temps occur then anyway. Occupancy rates at Hh resorts are as high as anywhere in their system, and note that there are 8 timeshare properties on HH Island. GO occupancy is perennially at the top.

I think homes at HH would be fantastic acquisitions. Location is important though, and access to facilities is a big plus if possible.

I'm not saying that they won't be good acquisitions, but I'm curious to see how it works out. I have no idea how many people could or would throw nearly 13k DC points for a week's rental here in summer, but I'm sure that market is considerably smaller than anyone looking for any other type of unit at their other properties.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Not all of our points are purchased DC trust points. In fact most of our points are from enrolling our weeks in the DC points program. Maintainence fees for our properties are much less than .50/ pt than Trust points MF. I own both Trust points and converted points but haven't done a full average point MF analysis (but I probably should since they have all been paid in the last 3 months).

Brian
I would love to see this. Maybe Dioxide can combine his points chart and MF chart to get the per point cost?