• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Vacation Club Owner with possible Buyer's Remorse. Help appreciated!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Hi All, I just wanted to share with the group that our rescission letter went out yesterday. However, there seems to be a shipping delay due to the inclement weather in NJ. It was shipped USPS overnight express with return receipt. We also shipped separately the Amazon Fire tablet and beach bag that was given to us as part of the purchase.
When the letter is received is not the most important thing. When you mailed it with a receipt from the post office showing the date is the most important. You have a certain date by which you must rescind. All you need is proof that you did so. Don’t worry about when it is received.

R&RTime

Reaction score
As long as you retain the Postmark you should be all set, even if your rescission letter doesn't show up for a week. It's the date of the Postmark which rules the roost.

Smart move to rescind.

Go out and celebrate. :cheer::banana::wave::)

Thank you. I have the USPS receipt with 2/22 shipped date and date also showing on the tracking. Is that all I need?

R&RTime

Reaction score
When the letter is received is not the most important thing. When you mailed it with a receipt from the post office showing the date is the most important. You have a certain date by which you must rescind. All you need is proof that you did so. Don’t worry about when it is received.
Thank you, Karen.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is always someone selling Vistana mandatory units either here in the marketplace, on redweek, or sometimes even in the various Vistana Facebook groups. Take your time to study the points chart and see how many points you will actually need for the vacation you want. You will probably find that you need more than 67100, but you will be able to get them cheaply on the resale market, and spend your savings on vacation activities. Run it by us here first and we will tell you if it’s a decent deal.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I am going to be the one to give you a total different perspective based on our own immediate 'buyers remorse' after our purchase in Dec 2019. Its just my husband and myself and I am of retirement age and he will be in a few years - where you are in your life stage is a factor in your decision making. We had a good sales rep who pushed the sale but it took 2 tries. The whole process was all so overwhelming and we soon realized we retained a fraction of the verbal information we should have but I took home the huge manilla folder and spent hours and hours researching all the pro's and con's when we got home. My responses are below and I hope they are helpful to someone here or down the road....

• HomeOptions 67,100 (Annual) - we started out with 44,000 options for odd bi-annual
  • Vistana Signature Network
  • 9 Resorts - Our primary resort is the Sheraton Desert Oasis in Scottsdale but we have not yet stayed at that location
  • Costs
    • $22,009 - $10,230
    • $845 Closing - $490 (they knocked off $500 from the initial $990 closing since it was end of December 2019)
    • $1316.50 Annual dues - $540.82 with annual assessment + membership fee
    • $109 to bank points -
    • $159 Interval International exchange fee
  • Incentives
    • Bonus StarOptions 134,200 (67,100 x 2) - ours was 44,000 bonus and we rolled them over this year so we have a total of 88,000. The points can go farther if you shop around the resorts at the time you want to go.
    • Unlimited Getaways via Interval International - WE USE THIS OPTION THE MOST and have found great deals during the pandemic of 2020! I have used for the Westin Kierland Premium Villa in Scottsdale for $325 total for a week during the off season. Also received a reward certificate from Interval that we used in February on a 2 bedroom lock off at the Marriott Grand Vista Resort in Orlando when it was below zero here at home in Iowa. These interval deals can me passed on to your family and friends if you choose to transfer to a guest.
    • Marriot Bonvoy
      • Gold Elite Status for life - its a good thing on resorts or for 25% off a regular hotel stay! If you book 4 or more nights you get the 5th night free!
  • Additional
    • Signed up for Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Amex Card
      • Made Flex Vacation purchase on card so it comes out to ~207,054 Bonvoy points (75k for Amex sign up and 6x Bonvoy points on $22k purchase).
    • Additional week added in Interval International - We did NOT need another credit card but it was part of the 'deal' to get the most for jumpstarting on points. I now use it basically as our main' debit card' meaning all of our purchases and online home bills and medical payments are all done with this card. We have racked up almost 400,000 points the first year which can get you into a week or two in many resorts anywhere just by using the card! We used some to book a week at Marriott Desert Springs resort over New Years but then (again) the pandemic put a stop to that when Calif closed down.
Bottom line - if you want to make a plan to travel and you do your homework you can make this Vistana Vacation Ownership work for you. If I find a good deal and my husband can't get away from his work then I go myself or invite family to join me. We have been treated so fabulously by the Marriott staff at each property that we have visited.
Your pitch feels strangely familiar, lots of smoke and mirrors. Lots of bold in this post, but you don't negate what all prior posters said: this is worth practically nothing to sell as benefits don't transfer, and OP can buy for pennies on the dollar. Strange omission to leave out of the "analysis."

Lots of other half/mis-truths that have nothing to do with this particular purchase: anyone can sign up for a credit card. All Bonvoy members get the 5th points night free. Any owner gets the 25% nightly rate discount. Any interval member can book getaways. Anyone can get a week for free (someone will even pay to take it) and get these "owner" benefits.

Wonder if you'll be back for a 2nd post, looking forward to it.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
We rescinded yesterday but it was good to hear Diane's perspective as well. Just waiting for the letter to arrive in Florida.
Congrats. Now you can research and learn and buy when you're ready with zero pressure. Welcome.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I have the USPS receipt with 2/22 shipped date and date also showing on the tracking. Is that all I need?

Yes, you should be all set......

Do give some thought to becoming a member of TUG. It will be the best $15 you ever spend. Go to the blue bar above, click on Support TUG and then click on Join TUG.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just waiting for the letter to arrive in Florida.

As others have pointed out, it does not matter when it arrives. What matters is when you sent it and that you have proof thereof. But since you are "waiting for the letter to arrive in Florida", there is one thing to watch out for once it does arrive. There is a possibility that you will receive a phone call urging you to change your mind about rescinding. The people might try to sweeten the deal (eg., offer you more points, easier booking options, etc.) or give you threats (albeit idle threats) claiming that you will face serious legal or financial ramifications if you rescind.

Also, they have up to 45 days (although they usually do not take that long) to refund your money. So if you do not see the refund right away, don't panic by calling the resort to see what is happening because you might get the same hard sell. Be patient.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Congrats. Now you can research and learn and buy when you're ready with zero pressure. Welcome.
I agree with this, and with joining TUG. And spend time at Redweek. You'll get good sense of what's available at what cost. One thing I've learned here is that "timesharing" is an art form. And it's a bit like wine... the more you learn the more you discover you have more to learn. I think one can break it into two skill sets. The first is acquisition -- deciding what is best for you to acquire and how to get the best price. The second is use -- learning how to make the best use out of what you acquired, both get the most bang for the buck, and how to avoid or overcome, hurdles and obstacles.

All that info is on TUG.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Based on why you bought flex, you should buy a mandatory resort. Get a Westin kierland villas. If you were going to spend 22K on a flex you should spend 13K on 148K star options via a WKV 2 bedroom platinum.

R&RTime

Reaction score
Hi All, USPS tried to deliver the rescind letter today and on tracking it states, "Delivery Attempted: No Access to Delivery Location. Will redeliver on the next business day.". This is concerning.

It was shipped to the address on the contact.

Sheraton Flex Vacations, LLC
Attn: Document Administration Department
9002 San Marco Court
Orlando, Florida 32819

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Based on why you bought flex, you should buy a mandatory resort. Get a Westin kierland villas. If you were going to spend 22K on a flex you should spend 13K on 148K star options via a WKV 2 bedroom platinum.
Best advice! Some resale companies offer these for sale, and I like the idea of buying from a broker.

https://advantagevacation.com/westin-kierland-villas-for-sale-and-resale/ I am not associated with this company at all but did sell a unit through Sayed. I would buy this one, if I didn't have so many timeshares. 148,000 for $17K. I would try to offer less. He has a lot of mandatory Westin Ka'anapali units for sale, too. Oceanfront would be ideal for a purchase. But the fees are quite a bit higher.

R&RTime

Reaction score
Best advice! Some resale companies offer these for sale, and I like the idea of buying from a broker.

https://advantagevacation.com/westin-kierland-villas-for-sale-and-resale/ I am not associated with this company at all but did sell a unit through Sayed. I would buy this one, if I didn't have so many timeshares. 148,000 for $17K. I would try to offer less. He has a lot of mandatory Westin Ka'anapali units for sale, too. Oceanfront would be ideal for a purchase. But the fees are quite a bit higher.
Thank you.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All, USPS tried to deliver the rescind letter today and on tracking it states, "Delivery Attempted: No Access to Delivery Location. Will redeliver on the next business day.". This is concerning.

9002 San Marco Court
Orlando, Florida 32819

Is this the address in the recission instructions in the contract? That is all you need to use.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can also drop a simple letter in the mail, first class postage (forever stamp). Never hurts and first class mail is legally accepted. It is also possible that their mail center is only open certain days of the week to accept packages. Covid and all...

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

9002 San Marco Court
Orlando, Florida 32819

If you are using the address in which their rescissions are accepted then you will have no issues as long as your rescission paperwork was postmarked within the legally accepted timeframe.

Remember, it is not the date they pick up their mail, it is the date of the actual postmark (which is enforced in the eyes of the law). This is why it is very important that you retain your postmarked mailing receipt should there be any issues down the road.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you are using the address in which their rescissions are accepted then you will have no issues as long as your rescission paperwork was postmarked within the legally accepted timeframe.

Remember, it is not the date they pick up their mail, it is the date of the actual postmark (which is enforced in the eyes of the law). This is why it is very important that you retain your postmarked mailing receipt should there be any issues down the road.

But what if the package never makes it to its destination?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
But what if the package never makes it to its destination?

As long as the sender retains the proof of mailing they should be all set.

The sender now knows the package is at the delivery Post Office and an attempted delivery will be made the next day. It may sit in the Post Office up to 15 days before it is actually signed for (assuming sent via Priority Express with signature requested, or simply just using USPS Certified Mail).

The Post Office should leave a notice of attempted delivery on at least two occasions.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Congrats on rescinding. As others indicated, its cheaper to buy Westin Kierland. I own an EOYE so that we can use it to travel to HI.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I’m so happy for you that you rescinded in time. You can get so much more for your money or the same thing for free or $1.

By the way, all owners of timeshares who participate in Interval get access to the Getaways. This really is no bonus, they just try to use it as a selling point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
There is one on eBay for 13.5K
Thomas Ochoa is not taking any chances with that one, starting the bidding that high. He doesn't want it to go too cheap. He is a good seller.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Thomas Ochoa is not taking any chances with that one, starting the bidding that high. He doesn't want it to go too cheap. He is a good seller.
It’s the 2nd or third time it was listed.

Redbaybound

Reaction score
I wish I had found this forum before we signed today. Will be sending our letter to rescind Monday. So disappointed that we caved under the sales pitch.

Will be researching here for future reference.