• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Tug Member - Need Advice on Lakeshore

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
The opportunity was for 2 bd, no 3bd unfornutately. Resales are like buying at Marshalls or Ross, sometimes you don't get specifically what you're looking for, but the price worth it!

While sometimes such a good deal comes along that you can't resist buying something a little different than what you intended, I didn't want the OP to feel he was stuck buying something other than what he really wants. Like buying at Marshalls, if you look long enough and check out enough stores, you're likely to find just what you were looking for.

I think the best advice I can offer is if you are on the fence about whether to buy a 2BR or a 3BR, look for both and grab whichever unit comes along at a great price. However, if you really want a 3BR, then narrow your search to that and get one for the best price possible, accepting that since there are fewer 3BR's you will likely not find as good a steal on a 3BR as potentially on a 2BR, but in the long run the extra money may be well worth it, especially if you really want a 2BR most times.

3BR's are also a nice consideration depending upon what stage of life you are in and whether or not your family dynamics is likely to change over the next several years. When making a purchase, it is good to consider not only your needs today but what they may be in 5 or 10 years.

rpw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ko Olina, Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
We did the tour a month ago

I really liked Lakeshore reserve. We seriously considered it. It wasn't the price that turned us off (I believe the value is there) but it was the maintenance fees. The 2 bedroom lock off we were looking at was $1100/yr. It's just too easy to trade into Orlando to justify the price. I can choose a getaway at any of the other orlando marriotts and pay a fraction of the price.

fskins

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are even considering this- then make sure to rescind before you make the final decision. Your window of opportunity to rescind is only a few days; rescind and then research and decide what to do. Ultimately, you can go back and buy what you originally did if you decide that was right after all. But if you decide to buy Grande Vista then you may regret not having rescinded in time.

That said- 3 BR's are nice- you can lock-off, use the 2BR and then trade the studio. If you look during Flexchange you can get some amazing trades, frequently even 2BR's or occasionally even 3BR's show up during Flexchange.

As for being concerned about the length of the season- as pointed out, if you buy Platinum at Grande Vista you will easily be able to trade into another Marriott Orlando virtually any week during Gold season, so I wouldn't worry about those less than peak weeks not being included in your season. On the flip side, if your lifestyle changes (particularly wrt kids and school schedules), when there are 9 months to the Platinum season and three quarters of the owners want weeks during a specific 2 or 3 month period, there are likely to be unhappy owners down the road. Something to consider....

If you decide on Grande Vista, keep in mind that some of the weeks are part of the Florida Club and some aren't- so you may want to check that out before finalizing any deal.

Today is day 10 of my contract, in Florida they give you 10 days to recind, and the sent day (post marked) is what counts.

So I offically canceled today and requested a refund of my deposit via emial and certified mail.

You are right, I obviously have A LOT of homework to do........

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Today is day 10 of my contract, in Florida they give you 10 days to recind, and the sent day (post marked) is what counts.

So I offically canceled today and requested a refund of my deposit via emial and certified mail.

You are right, I obviously have A LOT of homework to do........

Congrats. I was a little worried early on, but I am glad you recognized that you need more time to research this decision.

Buying from the developer will be there if you decide that is the right option.

ldanna

TUG Member
Reaction score
While sometimes such a good deal comes along that you can't resist buying something a little different than what you intended, I didn't want the OP to feel he was stuck buying something other than what he really wants. Like buying at Marshalls, if you look long enough and check out enough stores, you're likely to find just what you were looking for.

Some people don't have time, they go straight to Nordstrom. I particularly like the hunt for priceless treasures at Marshalls when I have time to do it.

Fskins, you need more time to reserch and od your homework, take your time. Don't forget that TS prices are up because we are in spring and summer is on its way. According to other Tugers with more experience, prices should go down in October. Marriott is not exercising ROFR but it may change at any minute. It will take at least 2 to 3 months minimum to transfer you a unit.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Some people don't have time, they go straight to Nordstrom. I particularly like the hunt for priceless treasures at Marshalls when I have time to do it.

Fskins, you need more time to reserch and od your homework, take your time. Don't forget that TS prices are up because we are in spring and summer is on its way. According to other Tugers with more experience, prices should go down in October. Marriott is not exercising ROFR but it may change at any minute. It will take at least 2 to 3 months minimum to transfer you a unit.

Haha- very true. And there have been several people who bought direct for the ease, security, etc.- and for them it was the right decision (hey- if people didn't buy direct, then there would be no resales, right?).

You are very right about Fskins needing the time to do research and evaluate what is in his family's best interests. In a normal year, the Spring/Summer increased price cycle is particularly noticeable, but this year prices have been so depressed that there isn't that same trend. They seemed to slightly increase from the end of the year plummet, but I am not so sure that's part of the yearly cycle or simply a reflection of perhaps a little less economic panic when the bottom fell out of the economy overall. Since we are currently in the unheralded position with Marriott not exercising ROFR, I am not sure if waiting for the Fall/early Winter price drop will be a good idea; those great steals may be gone. If/when Marriott restarts exercising ROFR, those fire sales will still be around, but Marriott may be the only buyer who gets to take advantage of them.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, btw- while it is true that Marriott takes 2-3 (and sometimes longer) months to complete the transfer, ROFR is waived (or exercised) within 30 days, generally much sooner; once Marriott waives ROFR, it is a matter of plodding the course until the transfer takes place, but it will eventually.