• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Tug Member - Need Advice on Lakeshore

fskins

TUG Member
Reaction score
I joined Tug today after reading a number of threads, and can see this site is very valuable to TS owners. So I joined right away! Sorry for the winded thread but .....

I currently am in the process of buying my first timeshare, at Lakeshore Reserve. This seems to be the right property for my wife and I (have two kids under 2), as we are looking to spend a lot of time in Disney for years to come. We really like the 9 month platinum season as well as the JW lazy river, Ritz golf, etc. Looks like a great place!

Anyway, here is my dillemma - We signed up for the deluxe unit/townhome due to the lockoff feature of 2 one bedroom units. However, after getting the public offering, ALL L/O deluxe units are the end units in the back of the condo's staring at the parking lot/road vs. all the std non lockouts facaing the water/golf course. The difference in price is 4K. 26,800 for the deluxe 22,800 for the std. The townhome is nice, but if ever we decide to lockout half, we are automatically in the back.

I am not very experinced, but I thought views were very important. I am not sure which way to go here. I am thinking of changing to the std. 2 bdrm. Any thoughts? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I joined Tug today after reading a number of threads, and can see this site is very valuable to TS owners. So I joined right away! Sorry for the winded thread but .....

I currently am in the process of buying my first timeshare, at Lakeshore Reserve. This seems to be the right property for my wife and I (have two kids under 2), as we are looking to spend a lot of time in Disney for years to come. We really like the 9 month platinum season as well as the JW lazy river, Ritz golf, etc. Looks like a great place!

Anyway, here is my dillemma - We signed up for the deluxe unit/townhome due to the lockoff feature of 2 one bedroom units. However, after getting the public offering, ALL L/O deluxe units are the end units in the back of the condo's staring at the parking lot/road vs. all the std non lockouts facaing the water/golf course. The difference in price is 4K. 26,800 for the deluxe 22,800 for the std. The townhome is nice, but if ever we decide to lockout half, we are automatically in the back.

I am not very experinced, but I thought views were very important. I am not sure which way to go here. I am thinking of changing to the std. 2 bdrm. Any thoughts? Thanks

Since you have mentioned the public offering statement, it is likely that you are thinking about buying directly from Marriott.

The first thing you need to do is stop and gather more information. The general school of thought here on TUG is to buy resale, and not from the developer (Marriott). Your savings can be considerable.

Now LakeShore is too new of a resort to have many resales, but the value of the Marriott timeshare program is that it is very easy to exchange into another Marriott property if you own a Marriott timeshare. And there are numerous other Marriott properties that you could buy resale - many located in Orlando - and trade into LakeShore.

Buying a timeshare is a big decision. Research the issue carefully before making a decision.

If you have already purchased the timeshare, then consider rescinding the purchase. You need more time to research your options, and you can only get that time by rescinding. By rescinding you are not ruling out a purchase from Marriott, just that you need more time to evaluate the purchase decision.

And to answer your direct question. A lock-off is going to be a better decision than a standard unit. It would allow you to exchange your unit for two weeks somewhere else. Possibly two weeks at another Marriott Orlando resort. View is a personal decision. In Orlando, it would not be high on my list, and view has no impact on your trading power.

And Welcome to TUG!!!

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Eric has an excellent point. Consider it carefully. However, assuming you decide to buy from Marriott anyway....

Hmmm. View versus two 1BR lockout units. I would take the lockouts because I don't spend much time trying to enjoy the view from my timeshare when I'm in the Orlando area.

But you might feel differently. Only you can decide. On both points.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I would also double-check and make sure you are not misreading anything. I am surprised that they would give their best units the worst view.

That said, as pointed out above the importance of a nice view is a matter of personal preference- it really matters to some people and matters less to others.

Since you are unsure as to even what Lakeshore unit to purchase, I'd suggest that you rescind and take the time to learn a bit more about the property and about Marriott in general, to make sure that is the best location for you and that buying direct will be the best way to go for you. You only have a few days to rescind and that would include changing your mind as to what unit you want even if you decide to purchase Lakeshore directly.

One more consideration- I know you said you really liked the 9 month Platinum season. Keep in mind that is a mixed blessing- on the outside it is attractive because it gives you the most options. But when seasons are longer it also makes reserving certain prime weeks more difficult, because invariably there will be many owners with kids who will want those school vacation weeks and there will be many less desirable weeks within the season.

Don't get me wrong- I think Marriott is a great timeshare company to deal with and we are very happy owners. I just think that it is an expensive purchase and you should feel a little more confident that what you are buying will be the best choice for you and your family and my impression is that you might be better off taking a little more time to learn about things and make sure you buy what you want.

ldanna

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also double-check and make sure you are not misreading anything. I am surprised that they would give their best units the worst view.

This is quite strange, the best view goes to the best units. As an example, the resorts with 3bd always have those units with their best views.

Second, don't get excited with all those Platinum weeks, Orlando is no different, there's low season in Orlando too, even thought you call it Platinum. And Orlando has too many t/s, lots of good ones. But demands is still high, specialy for Orlando Marriotts.

I recently bought a Gold week at Grande Vista, waiting for the transfer. It is what I need, it trades very nice if I need it, and I can use Florida Club if I want to. As long as I bought resale (a great opportunity), I could not choose a 3bd unit, which would be great: I could lockoff, use the 2bd and exchange the studio (maybe for a 2bd, specially during flexchange, or even to a 2bd only resort during a shoulder season).

I think you should consider Grande Vista or Cypress Harbour (no lockoffs) with golf, or Harbour Lake (former Horizons) for the kids (best pools in Orlando for the small ones). The Palms can use Marriott Convention Center facilities. Grande Vista is a member of the Florida Club, allowing you to reserve on the same season on Ocean Point, Beachplace Towels, Doral and Legends Edge. As an example take a look at this eBay ad #190311055538 (Platinum Season, 2bd lockoff for $8,500).

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas

I'm also surprised at this, although it seems quite obvious that Marriott has been cutting way back on their lockoff developments - so when Lakesore was announced and had a neat variety of suite designs, even townhouses, I found it very tempting (along with the million MR points in the beginning). Because of these design differences (and prices) trading into Lakeshore might be a mixed bag too ... and perhaps difficult to get a like-for-like trade - or an upgrade. Time will tell.

Brian

Wildewoman

Reaction score
WOW ~ I just joined this group (I was referred over here from Trip Adviser) and saw your post.

We just returned from Orlando 2 weeks ago - we traded our Marriott property to II & they gave us 2 weeks so we stayed at the Marriott Grande Vista - having not been to a Marriott time share presentation since we bought at Newport Beach back in 2002 ~ we decided to go & sit in on the 90 minutes presentation. We ended up staying almost 3 hours - & we purchased a 2 bedroom deluxe villa!!

We absolutely loved the sales team & the fact that the property was 25 % off was a great deal!! Funny ~ we never even asked what the view would be ~ we too plan on using it as a lock off - we can then trade it for a 1 bedroom unit in Aruba at the Surf Club.

We own a week in Newport Beach & we purchased a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit - whenever we trade - we always get that. When we went to Aruba for the first time last year - that was when we saw a "lock off" for the first time - so the 2 of us had a 2 bedroom (where one was actually a small kitchenette unit) 2 bath unit!! LOTS of space!!

Sorry to ramble ~ but if you really like the area & the property was a good deal then go for it!! As this will be your home resort - you should get to choose the view you want. Any time we go to Newport Beach - we call ahead a couple of weeks in advance & tell them the building & the view we want. One with the pool & the Pacific Ocean from the balcony!!

I hope this helps with your decision. Have fun!!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry to ramble ~ but if you really like the area & the property was a good deal then go for it!! As this will be your home resort - you should get to choose the view you want. Any time we go to Newport Beach - we call ahead a couple of weeks in advance & tell them the building & the view we want. One with the pool & the Pacific Ocean from the balcony!!

I hope this helps with your decision. Have fun!!

NCV is different- none of the villas is sold with a view, so any owner can be assigned to any villa/view. Most other properties are sold with a specified view, and you are always assigned the view purchased when occupying your purchased week. Furthermore, in the case of Lakeshore, the OP purchased a certain tyoe of villa and, according to his post, those villas only have a specific view. Therefore, since he will always be assigned his villa type if occupying his owned week, he will always get that view.

I assume form your post that your most recent purchase was at Grande Vista. I am not sure whether there are assigned views at that property.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase and welcome to Tug!!

Last edited:

ldanna

TUG Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know a link for Lakeshore siteplan?

Wildewoman

Reaction score
NCV is different- none of the villas is sold with a view, so any owner can be assigned to any villa/view. Most other properties are sold with a specified view, and you are always assigned the view purchased when occupying your purchased week. Furthermore, in the case of Lakeshore, the OP purchased a certain tyoe of villa and, according to his post, those villas only have a specific view. Therefore, since he will always be assigned his villa type if occupying his owned week, he will always get that view.

I assume form your post that your most recent purchase was at Grande Vista. I am not sure whether there are assigned views at that property.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase and welcome to Tug!!

We stayed at Grande Vista - we purchased a week at Lake Shore ~ we also purchased a specific type of villa - a 2 bedroom deluxe (can be a townhouse or a lock off - the choice is ours)

I'd be interested in seeing where they put the 2 bedroom deluxe villas ~ does anyone have a property map of where each floor plan is located??

Thanks!!

fskins

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Grande Vista - we purchased a week at Lake Shore ~ we also purchased a specific type of villa - a 2 bedroom deluxe (can be a townhouse or a lock off - the choice is ours)

I'd be interested in seeing where they put the 2 bedroom deluxe villas ~ does anyone have a property map of where each floor plan is located??

Thanks!!

Thank you for all the reponses - In the public offering, they provide you the info, but very cryptic. All on separate pages they give you the site plan (not labeled, but with a north arrow), elevations, and specific building floor plans. Piecing it together, you can determine that the deluxe units are alway the end unit stacked. Every floor plan is the same. Every building is perpendicular to the water and the deluxe units always face the parking lot. Once translating the plans, I called the sales office and they confimed my findings. I work in development so I was careful to read the plans. The townhomes have better views though. There thinking was when you were locking out and giving up your week, they wanted to keep the traders towards the rear.

I still think getting two one bedroom units for two weeks and only paying one MF has value, but I need to determine if staying in the back at my home resort (the only place I have say), when using the L/O option is OK over the long run.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
While Lakeshore sounds like an exciting development. It is more out of the way than some of the other Orlando Marriotts. I would definitly consider looking at a resale at Grande Vista. The cost will be substantially less and there is only one view designation but there are really two types of views you can get, lake view, or golf course view. There are not many rooms that look out on to a parking lot. Also being an owner there with the lower owner occupancy rates should allow you to request and get any type of view you choose.

Grande Vista also has a shorter "more realistic" platinum season. Fewer owners gunning for those prime spring break, Christmas, and summer vacation weeks. Over time as new resorts come along Marriott has made those platinum seasons longer and longer. This is a detriment to all of those buying in to the platinum seasons. They will always have more and more unhappy owners who were unable to reserve the week they wanted.

fskins

TUG Member
Reaction score
While Lakeshore sounds like an exciting development. It is more out of the way than some of the other Orlando Marriotts. I would definitly consider looking at a resale at Grande Vista. The cost will be substantially less and there is only one view designation but there are really two types of views you can get, lake view, or golf course view. There are not many rooms that look out on to a parking lot. Also being an owner there with the lower owner occupancy rates should allow you to request and get any type of view you choose.

Grande Vista also has a shorter "more realistic" platinum season. Fewer owners gunning for those prime spring break, Christmas, and summer vacation weeks. Over time as new resorts come along Marriott has made those platinum seasons longer and longer. This is a detriment to all of those buying in to the platinum seasons. They will always have more and more unhappy owners who were unable to reserve the week they wanted.

This site is awesome!

I never thought of the cons for the longer season, unfortunately for me, my availability changes every year due to projects I'm on. I can not typically leave during the beginning or end of a project, and that changes year to year. But I will know in advance to make plans. So having not only all summer and christmas, but to also have the option to go in a 9 month window was key for me. And based on my research of the other premium TS's in Orlando, their seasons are pretty sliced up.

Now that I learned view does not effect trading power. I have decided its either the deluxe or resale. I am no longer thinking std 2 bdrm at lakeshore. there are pro's and cons to both. I am also currently locked into the 15% savings. So a recind and come to the same conclusion would cost me money.

Having a kitchen the second week to cook vs. eat out, and saving one add'l MF (+/- $1,000.00 per year) for the 2nd week over the long run should offset the upfront cost difference of a resale (not to mention the right to trade points), and the initial incentive, between the purchase and incentive, I will start off with 300K points. Either way I am going to love this :whoopie:

Thank you for all your help!!!!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now that I learned view does not effect trading power. I have decided its either the deluxe or resale. I am no longer thinking std 2 bdrm at lakeshore. there are pro's and cons to both. I am also currently locked into the 15% savings. So a recind and come to the same conclusion would cost me money.

Having a kitchen the second week to cook vs. eat out, and saving one add'l MF (+/- $1,000.00 per year) for the 2nd week over the long run should offset the upfront cost difference of a resale (not to mention the right to trade points), and the initial incentive, between the purchase and incentive, I will start off with 300K points. Either way I am going to love this :whoopie:

You can check and see how long the 15% sale is for. Keep in mind that you only have a few days to rescind, but have lots of time to learn about the system and then buy what is optimal for you.

Justifying a direct purchase because you can get two weeks from one MF, so as to offset the cost difference between direct and resale does not really make sense- any resale lock-out unit will give you the same option and you will save thousands up front. Grande Vista has 2 and 3 BR lock-out units, for example.

Of course, Lakeshore is a unique property in Orlando and the ambiance might be worth the extra cost to you. Just make the decision from an educated standpoint- and if you don't feel comfortable that you know enough about timeshares and the Marriott system, I would recommend taking a bit more time to learn about them and make sure you are making the best purchase for your needs.

ldanna

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this has been discussed before, but what hapen when I lockoff a 2 bd deluxe villa? Do I get two 1bd units?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think this has been discussed before, but what hapen when I lockoff a 2 bd deluxe villa? Do I get two 1bd units?

If you are referring to Lakeshore, then yes.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Check ou these resale prices and than let us know what you decide:

http://dioxide45.tripod.com/cgi-bin/rofr.cgi

Marriott Lakeshore is a very nice project and I would guess that if you purchase outside Orlando you will have little trouble trading into it in the future, but no one knows for sure of course.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This site is awesome!

Will you really spend $20,000 worth of food over the course of your timesharing life for that one week a year? Possible, but you would be better to have that $20K in your pocket and just eat out with the interest you earn off of the $20K. That $20K is what I am guessing how much more you would spend by buying from Marriott vs resale.

There are other options for eating when staying in a studio side of a 2BR lock off. Many resorts have grills, you can grill many things, there is also usually a small fridge and microwave. So cooking and eating at the resort can be done if it is the cost you are worried about. Carry out is also a good option and can save you some money since any beverages you would normally buy at restaurant inflated prices you would instead already have in your room.

Wildewoman

Reaction score

If we trade in our 2 bedroom deluxe unit at Lake shore & choose to lock it off (to get 2 weeks) - can we get a 1 bedroom unit at the Surf Club as opposed to the kitchenette units??

This is our first lock off purchase.

Thanks so much!!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If we trade in our 2 bedroom deluxe unit at Lake shore & choose to lock it off (to get 2 weeks) - can we get a 1 bedroom unit at the Surf Club as opposed to the kitchenette units??

This is our first lock off purchase.

Thanks so much!!

Yes- you can request a 1BR in exchange because you are depositing a 1BR.

fskins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will you really spend $20,000 worth of food over the course of your timesharing life for that one week a year? Possible, but you would be better to have that $20K in your pocket and just eat out with the interest you earn off of the $20K. That $20K is what I am guessing how much more you would spend by buying from Marriott vs resale.

There are other options for eating when staying in a studio side of a 2BR lock off. Many resorts have grills, you can grill many things, there is also usually a small fridge and microwave. So cooking and eating at the resort can be done if it is the cost you are worried about. Carry out is also a good option and can save you some money since any beverages you would normally buy at restaurant inflated prices you would instead already have in your room.

Where can I find the week designation for grande vista (what are platinum weeks,etc.), that is the only other propery in Orlando I would be interested in...... Having alot of flexability is very important to me. I have a hard time being available the same times every year for vaca. I need a big window

ldanna

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where can I find the week designation for grande vista (what are platinum weeks,etc.), that is the only other propery in Orlando I would be interested in...... Having alot of flexability is very important to me. I have a hard time being available the same times every year for vaca. I need a big window

If you go to the FAQ in the inical page, you will find this link for seasons and calenders for all Marriott resorts:

http://www.vacationclub.com/resorts/default.jsp

Choose the resort, go to the bottom of the page and click on the calender.

You have to consider that Orlando is an easy place to trade into at anytime, if you buy a Platinum season, you will easyly trade into Gold, and maybe the oposite will be easy to.

fskins

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is quite strange, the best view goes to the best units. As an example, the resorts with 3bd always have those units with their best views.

Second, don't get excited with all those Platinum weeks, Orlando is no different, there's low season in Orlando too, even thought you call it Platinum. And Orlando has too many t/s, lots of good ones. But demands is still high, specialy for Orlando Marriotts.

I recently bought a Gold week at Grande Vista, waiting for the transfer. It is what I need, it trades very nice if I need it, and I can use Florida Club if I want to. As long as I bought resale (a great opportunity), I could not choose a 3bd unit, which would be great: I could lockoff, use the 2bd and exchange the studio (maybe for a 2bd, specially during flexchange, or even to a 2bd only resort during a shoulder season).

I think you should consider Grande Vista or Cypress Harbour (no lockoffs) with golf, or Harbour Lake (former Horizons) for the kids (best pools in Orlando for the small ones). The Palms can use Marriott Convention Center facilities. Grande Vista is a member of the Florida Club, allowing you to reserve on the same season on Ocean Point, Beachplace Towels, Doral and Legends Edge. As an example take a look at this eBay ad #190311055538 (Platinum Season, 2bd lockoff for $8,500).

Why could you not choose a 3 bdrm resale. That is was is appealing to me doing my research right now........

ldanna

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why could you not choose a 3 bdrm resale. That is was is appealing to me doing my research right now........

The opportunity was for 2 bd, no 3bd unfornutately. Resales are like buying at Marshalls or Ross, sometimes you don't get specifically what you're looking for, but the price worth it!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

If you are even considering this- then make sure to rescind before you make the final decision. Your window of opportunity to rescind is only a few days; rescind and then research and decide what to do. Ultimately, you can go back and buy what you originally did if you decide that was right after all. But if you decide to buy Grande Vista then you may regret not having rescinded in time.

That said- 3 BR's are nice- you can lock-off, use the 2BR and then trade the studio. If you look during Flexchange you can get some amazing trades, frequently even 2BR's or occasionally even 3BR's show up during Flexchange.

As for being concerned about the length of the season- as pointed out, if you buy Platinum at Grande Vista you will easily be able to trade into another Marriott Orlando virtually any week during Gold season, so I wouldn't worry about those less than peak weeks not being included in your season. On the flip side, if your lifestyle changes (particularly wrt kids and school schedules), when there are 9 months to the Platinum season and three quarters of the owners want weeks during a specific 2 or 3 month period, there are likely to be unhappy owners down the road. Something to consider....

If you decide on Grande Vista, keep in mind that some of the weeks are part of the Florida Club and some aren't- so you may want to check that out before finalizing any deal.