• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New TS owner and is this a good exchange..? [Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort ]

epcmart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Tuggers,
After researching for a few months and getting some good advice here on TUG, a few months ago I picked up an Annual Prime Season 2Br LO unit in Plaza building at The Ridge Tahoe from a fellow tugger who posted in Bargain Basements for a Whopping $Zero, MF is $1025/yr. unit also came with desired Presidents' Day weekend reservations for 2016 & 2017. We did the closing paperwork ourselves so there was Zero closing cost expense.

Another tugger even helped me out with a special guest price coupon to stay there and check out the resort for 2nights.

My Ridge Resort unit is affiliated with II and I also joined SFX 5yr Diamond membership for $199 with a special offer.

Ridge offers an option of locking off the unit or splitting the week 4/3 for $49. I also have day use privileges and since I'm in the East Bay Area, I do plan on taking advantage of this feature also.

DW wanted to take kids to HI for the 1st time and previously having been to Oahu and Maui as a couple, we now decided to take next vacation on the Big island. I initiated a search with SFX for a 2 bedroom unit against 1BR Ridge for March 19-26, 2016 before depositing with them.

SFX came back with a 2BR unit at Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort for the desired dates, my exchange fee would be $99 being a Diamond member.
Looking for experienced Tuggers' input whether this is a good exchange?
I know this resort does not have a direct beach access and we are traveling with an 8 & 11yr old.
Your input is appreciated.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Click on Resorts and Reviews at the top of the page to see Tugger's reviews for this property.

I like this property, and it's typical for Big Island resorts to not be on the beach - very few are.

However, I prefer ocean front resorts, so probably won't go back to this property.

But for what you traded for it, I think it's a very good trade.

*How do your kids do in the car? The Big Island is bigger than all the other islands put together, and sight seeing takes a lot of driving. But with kids, I'd probably not try to see everything - too much driving.

Last edited:

epcmart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Denise...

Kids are ok in the car..electronics keep them busy though every few minutes I remind them to enjoy the scenery outside and why we are on vacation..!!

What are the closest beaches to the resort for day of beach camping?

I'm already researching TUG for local food joints though we plan to cook at least half outer meals at the resort BBQ grills.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Good exchange!

I think you did great. I stayed in a 2br at this resort last May. It was great. Very large, well-appointed, close in for shopping or restaurants in Kona town, and easy to get to the highway for sightseeing tours north or south from there. There are two swimming pools, one of which was favored by kids, so yours will have plenty of opportunities for getting wet. The unit will be fine for a family of four.

The Big Island has few sandy beaches. The best ones are as you're headed up the north coast toward Waikoloa. Hapuna Beach is one of those, a perfectly fine beach for kids. There are lifeguards, restrooms, and reasonable parking.

Your kids are old enough to understand and appreciate a trip to the Volcano National Park. It'd be well worth the trip to get there, especially if you can arrange to stay after dark to see the glow of the lava in the crater in the darkness. It's pretty cool. Stop at Punalu'u Beach Park on the way, and see the black sand beach. Sea turtles frequently haul out to sun themselves on this beach. It's pretty memorable.

Lots of Tug threads of things to see and do on the BI. Search the forums or ask specific questions. Many folks here have been there and have lots to share about the island.

Dave

Last edited:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should work out fine

I think it should be real good for you. We have enjoyed that resort in the past and you are very close to town. We always have had to friends to beaches because even when a beach is right in front of a resort they aren't usually great sandy/few rock layouts. Those usually are by themselves away from resorts (at least what we have found).

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that's a great trade for your first family timesharing experience in Hawaii - congratulations! We've been to the Big Island several times, and it's called the BIG island for a reason. We own a timeshare at the Hilton in Waikoloa, but are always on the lookout for an extra week at the Kona Hawaiian Resort. When we stay in Waikoloa, it's more convenient for us to spend more time up north, and we miss out on what the south shore has to offer - which is a lot.

The Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort is a good base for exploring the island for the first time. The location will give you easy access to the "city" amenities in Kailua-Kona, but also Kahaluu Beach Park, Captain Cook's Monument, the historic Pu'uhonua O Honaunau (City of Refuge), and other beaches to the south. You and your family will have a great time - just be prepared to do a lot of driving if you want to see it all. The island is so much bigger and more diverse than what you and your wife experienced in Oahu and Maui!