• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Tourist Tax

KiKiDee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
Palm Beach Shores
Just received this from one of the major hotel brands in Cancun:

Dear Valued Travel Partner,

AMResorts® would like to take this opportunity to inform you of an important update for all tourists traveling to Quintana Roo, Mexico.

Beginning with departures on April 1, 2021, all foreign tourists will be required to pay a tax in the amount of approximately $10 to $11 USD per passenger depending on the exchange rate. Payments for families and groups can be made in one single transaction.

Payments can made online at http://visitax.gob.mx/, or at the airport prior to departure at kiosks that accept cash. If guests choose to pay online, they will need to provide the number of people traveling, name, age and passport number of each individual, and their departure date.

Tourists departing the state of Quintana Roo must show their proof of payment at the airport prior to boarding.

Please share this important news with your teams. AMResorts® branded properties look forward to continuing to welcome our mutual guests to the Quintana Roo region.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Governments need income & Quintana Roo State qualifies.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So how much is the actual tax? $200 peso? Can you pay using US$ at the kiosk or do you need to pay in peso?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
About $10.
I guess what I am trying to understand is, so you pay the tax in Peso or US$. The OP indicated $10-$11 depending on exchange rate. I am curious if the kiosk takes both dollars and peso and what is the actual amount of the tax. About $10 US$ isn't the amount. I am thinking the tax is $200 peso and perhaps you can pay in US$ and the amount will vary, but if you have $200 peso, you just pay that?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I guess what I am trying to understand is, so you pay the tax in Peso or US$. The OP indicated $10-$11 depending on exchange rate. I am curious if the kiosk takes both dollars and peso and what is the actual amount of the tax. About $10 US$ isn't the amount. I am thinking the tax is $200 peso and perhaps you can pay in US$ and the amount will vary, but if you have $200 peso, you just pay that?

It's $224 pesos or $11.03 USD for an adult.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
So it can vary in USD based on exchange rate, but the $224 never changes?

It would have to. Same for any other currency other than MEX. $224 Pesos (MEX) is what they are charging for an adult.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It would have to. Same for any other currency other than MEX. $224 Pesos (MEX) is what they are charging for an adult.

Bill
$224 Peso seems like an odd amount. In order to pay that, you need to be carrying coins. I guess they want people to pay online insead of the kiosks. Do the kiosks accept credit cards, provide change?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Governments need income & Quintana Roo State qualifies.

Bill

net = $ 60+ million USD per year
From 2016-2019 : Cancun averaged about 6 million foreign visitors a year.

I assume in the last 12 months the needs have increased and income decreased due to the impact of Covid 19-

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Why wouldn't they just bake this tax into the airport fees that the airlines add on to the ticket price?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Why wouldn't they just bake this tax into the airport fees that the airlines add on to the ticket price?
This money probably goes to another account than airport fees.

You can just pay it online before you go and pay with a credit card and save the hassle of the kiosk Then print you a receipt/pass to have when you arrive and leave. It asks for your return date.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Having just travelled to/from Cancun I never saw any kiosk and no tax was ever mentioned, collected or enforced. The Cancun airport was way more concerned with everyone filling out the COVID questionnaire and getting a QR code so they could enter security.

Last edited:

Pizza67

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here, we left on 5/29 and I didn't see anything about paying the tax. I was looking aroud, but never saw anything.

pharmacistking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
SDO
The Grandview Las Vegas
MVC Grand Chateau
Anybody has updates on this? do they really check? Going to Cancun this winter.

PanaJack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having just returned from Cancun - we never seen anything about the supposed "Tourist Tax" that we've been reading about online. Unless the airlines are bundling it with your tickets, there was no one at the airport collecting for it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
So is this Tourist Tax for all of Mexico?

cheech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bahia Principe Privilege Club, Royal Elite Vacation Club
Went to Mexico in June, September, and just last month....other than the Eco tax at the hotel, which was like $11 for a week, never paid any tourist tax, especially at the airport.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I see a few websites where you can pay the tax online. Is this some type of scam? You pay the tax but no one is collecting it in the airport and no one is checking that you paid it online.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
So is this Tourist Tax for all of Mexico?

No, it's only for the Quintan Roo, AFAIK. Assuming folks are referring to the Visitax:

Technically there's other taxes, but they are included in your airfare (if you are able to see the breakdown).

Mcjohan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN/OF, WLR
Our flights to/from Cancun on United next January have a fee for “Mexico Tourism Tax” on the receipts.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Our flights to/from Cancun on United next January have a fee for “Mexico Tourism Tax” on the receipts.
How much is the tax?

pharmacistking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
SDO
The Grandview Las Vegas
MVC Grand Chateau
I think that is a different tax than is being referred to here. The new tax being discussed is about $10-$11.
There is an official site and several resorts talk about it. However enforcement seem very low. So the question is do I want to pay a semi voluntary tax to Quintana Roo if half the travelers are not paying...