• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to Timeshares.. looking for best/ affordable points system

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While RCI points has worked out well for me, I would probably recommend a system that is affiliated with Interval. Of the major systems that leaves you with:

Vistana
Marriott
Hyatt

I own Hyatt and love it. There is a location in San Antonio that is very family friendly that typically has very good availability. You should also be able to exchange into Hawaii. It is also a strong trader in Interval International which would give you access to Marriott and Vistana properties (and some good independent resorts). There aren't as many locations, but they are high quality and typically not in areas where there is good availability in other systems.

If you are patient you can pick up a diamond week (2200 points) for somewhere around $5-8000, and would have ongoing maintenance fees of around $1250-$1600 per year. You can really stretch out those points with a little bit of work, but that is good enough to get you into any 2 bedroom in the Hyatt system during peak season.

You can make trades during peak season to other interval resorts for 1300 points for a 2 bedroom.

Definitely do your research and feel free to PM or post for any questions.

Edited to add, you can do pretty well with gold weeks or above (1880+ points in Hyatt). Those have a cheaper buy in, and can be a good bang for your buck.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
@JPEREZ2710 the advice is going to start rolling in and everyone is going to have their own angle on what they find value in. I gave you mine. Bahamas is my main driver in what I own, but that’s just me. I prefer certain quality resorts over others which is why I’ll look for Vistana (Westin/Sheraton), Marriott, and Hilton. It would be ideal to visit each systems website and take a look at their locations and resorts. Make a list of resorts and destinations you can see yourself traveling to quite a bit. If Caribbean and Mexico is high on your list then I like Vistana. One thing to note, Marriott now owns vistana and they have announced plans for a common currency program so you may be able to book all Marriott and vistana properties with common points in addition to interval exchange preference in the near future. That’s a gamble but it’s one many are hoping will pay off.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I like to look at timeshare with both a business and a leisure approach. The more money you put upfront, the more money you will never get back because you have to add maintenance fees to your initial investment. You can’t lose when you buy low, buy something on high demand/liquid, and buy into a system that gives you the most flexibility. When I mean low, I mean less than $1000. I like Wyndham, they have more options and are the cheapest to find in the resale market. That’s just me, I’m cheap and young, but I get more bang for my buck. Choose your poison wisely.

Fair point and it's good that you are thinking in dollar terms and exit possibilities. But I would caution you against thinking a timeshare is an investment. They aren't. They are a discretionary luxury purchase. Another way to look at it if you are young is that you have many more years to amortize your original "investment" over. If someone is willing to give you something for next to nothing, you really should be asking "why?"

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If someone is willing to give you something for next to nothing, you really should be asking "why?"

Usually because what they own is junk lol..... usually, sometimes people just want out and you pick up a steal!

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Rent a few times before buying anything. Different systems. Different locations.

It will focus you on what quality level you require, whether views are important, what amenities you enjoy, and what size units you really need.

Take your time. Prices aren't going up.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Usually because what they own is junk lol..... usually, sometimes people just want out and you pick up a steal!
Bingo...avoiding junk is the key to this game. If you have patience, know exactly what you want, and watch the market like a hawk (and are willing to pull the trigger at a moment's notice), then you will probably "win" in the end.

I agree with @CPNY that you should really try renting at a few of the systems so you can see what level of accommodation you are comfortable with.

josegm888

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndam Grand Desert; Bonnet Creek
Fair point and it's good that you are thinking in dollar terms and exit possibilities. But I would caution you against thinking a timeshare is an investment. They aren't. They are a discretionary luxury purchase. Another way to look at it if you are young is that you have many more years to amortize your original investment over. If someone is willing to give you something for next to nothing, you really should be asking "why?"

True. They aren’t a good investment, they don’t cash flow enough, but putting your hard earned cash flow in them isn’t also the best use of money especially when once you pay that debt it’s worthless for the most part. I like having options, paying $650 for over 380k points in two location and the possibility for multiple locations with $100 a month for maintenance fees gives me that freedom without losing too much cash for something I know I will not use regularly. That’s just me. Again for those who have lots of money and time it might be different. Not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
True. They aren’t a good investment, they don’t cash flow enough, but putting your hard earned cash flow in them isn’t also the best use of money especially when once you pay that debt it’s worthless for the most part. I like having options, paying $650 for over 380k points in two location and the possibility for multiple locations with $100 a month for maintenance fees gives me that freedom without losing too much cash for something I know I will not use regularly. That’s just me. Again for those who have lots of money and time it might be different. Not for me.

I know a guy selling an RCI account with over a million RCI points with No Maint fee. Buy in will be high

josegm888

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know a guy selling an RCI account with over a million RCI points with No Maint fee. Buy in will be high

Sounds to good to be true, but then I again I don’t know much about RCI.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Sounds to good to be true, but then I again I don’t know much about RCI.

Apparently it was the way the contract was set up back when RCI points could be used for things like airfare. The resort was ok with getting the huge purchase price. Problem is, if the resort ever leaves RCI or dissolves who knows. But I thought it was too good to be true then someone verified they actually sold contracts that way. The buy in would be expensive I’m sure.

josegm888

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Apparently it was the way the contract was set up back when RCI points could be used for things like airfare. The resort was ok with getting the huge purchase price. Problem is, if the resort ever leaves RCI or dissolves who knows. But I thought it was too good to be true then someone verified they actually sold contracts that way. The buy in would be expensive I’m sure.

It most probably will be, but if so, it would definitely be worth it, depending on the price tag.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Bingo...avoiding junk is the key to this game. If you have patience, know exactly what you want, and watch the market like a hawk (and are willing to pull the trigger at a moment's notice), then you will probably "win" in the end.

I agree with @CPNY that you should really try renting at a few of the systems so you can see what level of accommodation you are comfortable with.
@CPNY Usually because what they own is junk lol..... usually, sometimes people just want out and you pick up a steal!

This community has been so great at passing along the wisdom...I so appreciate all I have learned here.
Just this week found here on TUG a resale (well that's redundant) for a ski resort we know well that is easily driveable for us and nice for our grown kids to come back and use with their spouses and families over the years to come.

2BR/2BA/Sleeps 6 ski week each year...
PP under $200 and MF under $1K....good reviews....should be a solid renter/trader if we don't use personally each year.
At least that is my plan ha!
Will see how that all works out.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
of now, I am leaning towards a Hilton Vacations club. But I am most certainly open to suggestions from the pros on this site!
What do you find appealing about Hilton? That will help us understand what you are looking for. What works for me might not fit your expectations.

As for advice, think about what matters to you and that will help you pick a mini-system thaT fits your needs. For most people it is some combination of the in-system locations, general level of luxury, and cost. Balancing these for myself, I chose Wyndham. The resorts are nice, but not quite at the level of luxury of a Hilton, Sheraton, or Marriott. The cost of ownership is correspondingly lower. Most importantly, there are many locations I find desirable.

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
While I will say that I discovered this site after purchasing Hilton Grand Vacation (HGV) and would likely not have paid full price had I discovered it earlier, we are very happy with the HGV resorts. We have not been disappointed with one yet......not that I've gone to most of them. So if you are very particular about the quality of the property, I don't think you will go wrong while staying at a HGV resort. I became interested in timeshares thru a friend who is a Marriott owner. While traveling with her, I found the Marriott resorts to be great, very lovely resorts too. However, at that time the point system was not in place. We bought HGV because of the flexibility of using points anywhere. I stay in a Wyndham property each year too. I don't own Wyndham but rent each year. The property is ok but the location can't be beat so it just depends at times. Finally after going to our beach front timeshare for so many years, we have become friends with families there. This property is a set week, not points. It allows us to rent from each other very conveniently when conflicts arise. I just recommend allowing time to plan to get what you want with any timeshare and not expect to reserve a resort in a very short time frame.

HDiaz1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark the Club.
So we would love to go to Hawaii.. that is something I promised the wife when I told her I’d be looking into purchasing a resale timeshare.. also we do frequent Orlando fairly regularly. But I am in Houston so the nearest resorts I know to me are in Galveston which would be a Holiday Inn and also I believe a Silfer leave resort..

Research all the different point systems and see which system has resorts in the destinations you’ll frequent.
I’m from Houston as well and my main decision to get Wyndham was because of their Destin/Panama City Beach resorts and also San Antonio and Austin and a few more. They also have several options in Orlando and Hawaii. Nothing in Galveston. The holiday inn Galveston is an easy exchange through RCI though.
You can also rent from owners here and try out different resorts before you buy.

Last edited:

r4rab

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA Margaritaville(USVI)
give me the good the bad and the ugly on Wyndham please
As others have said, look at the FAQs & forums for the programs you are interested in. You may also want to take a look at some of the timeshare sites (Wyndham, Hilton, etc.) to see their maps of locations. Locations you think you may visit may warrant a TripAdvisor search to see what people say about it.

My wife & I are Wyndham owners for 5-6 years now. I cannot say how the units compare to others such as Hilton, etc. They are not what I would call luxurious but are homey & generally large. They do renovate every 3 years or so. Think on the level of a 3.5 - 4 star hotel and you're renting an apartment. Wyndham can be a complex system, especially if you want to optimize your points usage. Exchange is through RCI.

Some good - Lots of resorts. Club Wyndham is generally on the East coast & some west. Worldmark (a sister club) is generally on the West coast. They both have in the midwest. There are also in Puerto Rico & St. Thomas and others you can try booking in Mexico & elsewhere. They have just absorbed a lot of Shell Vacation Club resorts. Note that resale points doe not count towards Wyndham VIP levels and cannot be used to exchange between systems. i.e. Only Wyndham developer points can be used to book Worldmark resorts. We have gone a lot of places we might have gone to anyway (New Orleans, exchange to Worldmark for Seattle, Whistler, Vancouver, Austin, Pompano Beach, etc) and some we might not have gone to (Lake Lure, etc) and have generally enjoyed our ownership. We enjoy the flexibility of travelling to a lot of different locations (had to cancel Taos & Quebec this year due to the plague but did make it to Puerto Rico for a week at Christmas)

Some bad - The system is very complex. There are a few types of ownerships - CWA (a trust containinng about 70 resorts), Select (a deeded purchase). You generally purchase points. 10-13 months time period you can book your home resort; 10 months out points are points and you can generally book anywhere. The closer in you book, you may get discounts. You can feel nickeled and dimed sometimes - exchange fee Wyndham<->Worldmark, reservation fees when your annual number of reservations is used up, etc. This is all just a highlight; there are other special clubs (such as Margaritaville) which may have additional rules/limitations. All bookings are subject to availability. The system is very complex but you can get a lot of travel if you are willing to educate yourself. My wife does not really feel the "resorts" qualify as resorts. There are usually 1 or more pools, hot tub(s), fitness room/center. There may be a mini golf course (nothing fancy), basketball courts, tennis courts. barbecues, It depends on the resort. Activities vary. It will not be like an all-inclusive. (Not sure if this is all a bad)

Some ugly - VERY pushy salespeople. Never go to an "owner update" unless you really want the gift they are offering. They will say it is only going to be 1 hour but will keep you much, much longer if you do not cut them off. This is where the Wyndham system really gets its bad press.

Whatever you do, remember a timeshare is not an investment (at least a monetary investment). You will not make your money back. It is not an asset. Do not purchase if you cannot easily afford the maintenance fees. Do not finance a purchase unless it is at 0% and you are confident you can pay it off before the promotion ends.

However, it is nice having the extra room (if not staying in a studio, your room is at least twice as large as a hotel room) and it is nice having a fully stocked kitchen (as most of them have) with the ability to cook breakfast (and sometimes dinner) in the room. We will generally have breakfast in the room, pack a lunch from whatever we have purchased in a local supermarket and eat most dinners out, bringing leftovers back to the room.

PS Wyndham has some resorts in Hawaii but we have not yet been to any; I do not know what the booking availability is like and some are in a separate "Club" which you may/may not have access to.
PPS Some Wyndhams (I know of 2) have waterparks on site or are associated with water parks - Wisconsin Dells & one of the Smokey Mountain resorts. The Dells was great when we went (3 indoor parks, 3 outdoor parks admission came with the room for everyone staying at the resort). We're having a small Thanksgiving family reunion at the Smokey Mountain resort with an indoor water park later this year (outdoor park will be closed late Nov) assuming it doesn't get cancelled due to Covid-19.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Some really great advice in the thread. I agree with @CPNY about renting, but the Vistana, Marriott, Hyatt and HGVC are all top quality. You can’t go wrong with the quality and service with any of those systems.

My biggest piece of advice is first look where the the resorts in the system are and see if it’s where you want to go. I’ll give the example of HGVC. You say you want Hawaii, but where?HGVC has the Big Island covered and, if you work it, you should be able to get Oahu. If you want Maui of Kauai, you will probably have to look elsewhere.

Understanding the system and costs is huge. Study up on any system you are looking at. See what the MF’s are and look at how easy it would be to get out from underneath the commitment of the yearly obligation. Some are easier than others.

The low MF's for the level of accommodations was one of the factors in purchasing HGVC for me. My home week costs me $155 a night. That’s for a 2 bedroom In the platinum season. I can make that $155a night and stay anywhere in the system that has a standard 2 bedroom. If I go in a lower season and/or a smaller room, I can make that price drop considerable. If I do shorts stays during the week? I can really make those points last and drive down the cost per night. That cost factor for the level of accommodations is why we bought.

Find out what you really want out of your ownership and study up on the systems to see what fits your wants and needs.

You’ve come to the right place. Ask questions in this forum, but also go to the forums if the systems you are looking at and ask there. You will find out what you need to be to become an informed buyer.

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
I applaud the members in the previous threads for taking the time to provide such great advice.

also, I use Trip Advisor quite frequently. The reviews provide great tips not only on what to see and do and where to dine in an area, but also offer comments on the resorts themselves that can be very helpful.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I agree to rent in the different Systems and then make a decision to buy resale. We are a family of 7 and own in MVC family as well as HGVC. My philosophy is own where you vacation. We are in CA so that’s why we own HGVC and MVC family. Because we are controlled by school schedule, my philosophy works well for us. As much as I love trading, Interval trade costs us $300 in fees so I rather own to ensure I get access during school holidays.

As others have said, it’s easy to pick up TS(EBay SDO $1 w/ all fees paid for by previous owner) but it can be a beast to get rid of them(Marriott Desert $1800MF). Take your time and rent. I used Redweek and have stayed at Holiday Inn resorts for less than $600/wk. Rented HGVC MarBrisa viaa travel site. Rented Wyndham and Worldmark from friends who also own. Then I joined TUG and started my empire. Lol

overthehill

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark since 1998 - Stayed at WM 61 resorts so far, but slowing down
I am new to the timeshare scene and am currently looking for really the best way to approach timeshare ownership.. in my naive mind I feel I’d like the flexibility of a points system so we can take advantage of multiple locations.. as of now, I am leaning towards a Hilton Vacations club. But I am most certainly open to suggestions from the pros on this site! Thanks I’m advance guys!!

As someone who has owned deeded, right-to-use and points based timeshares since 1985, and is today winding down our ownership, allow me to offer my point of view.
As you hear all the hype, especially from timeshare sales people, about the opportunities of timeshare ownership, keep in mind the overall costs of ownership. Start with upfront costs (timeshare cost, closing costs, transfer fees, etc.) then add the annual costs be they maintenance fees, assessments, real estate taxes, housekeeping fees and so on. OK that's easy to do. Now consider these points;
- One viewer accurately pointed out that recovering your initial cost is highly unlikely. I agree as having finally dumped 50,000 WorldMark points for 13 cents per point which I paid anywhere from 24 cents to 80 cents per point for the six contracts I bought over the years on the secondary market. No matter as we enjoyed our ownership but got tired of yearly fees going up every year.
-Understand that owning points in a timeshare operation is not a guarantee you will be able to book the location, unit size or time of year you want. Thousands of other owners are looking to book so competition is fierce for prime time locations.
-Compare using VRBO or other sources for renting homes or timeshare units in location where you enjoy vacationing. I have found that the $2,000 annual maintenance fee I now pay for two weeks prime time in a 2 bedroom unit is approaching the cost of renting. Consider the fact that when using VRBO or similar service, there is no upfront principal investment, no annual maintenance fee, no possibility of losing points if not used, no real estate taxes, and the flexibility to go anywhere. Yes, the cost of a one week rental may be higher than the annual cost of timeshare ownership but consider one doesn't have to make a principal investment (cash or borrowing) to go on vacation.
Hope you find what you're looking for.

tmcwolf56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Placid Club Lodges Lake Placid NY Wks 32,33
I am new to the timeshare scene and am currently looking for really the best way to approach timeshare ownership.. in my naive mind I feel I’d like the flexibility of a points system so we can take advantage of multiple locations.. as of now, I am leaning towards a Hilton Vacations club. But I am most certainly open to suggestions from the pros on this site! Thanks I’m advance guys!!
Another approach is looking at independently owned timeshare resorts. I have owned weeks at Lake Placid Club Lodges for over 25 years. Independently owned via the owners assoc. Managed by VRI and affiliated with RCI and Interval. I have RCI points (89000/red wk in Aug). I have been able to book with no issues all over the U.S. and internationally. This is not a resort but 1600sf condo lodges (2br, 2bath + sleeping loft). Lake Placid Club Lodges is one of the best independent resorts in the country. The resort is kept in top-notch condition by a dedicated staff and a committed board of directors, which we have found is not always the case at other resorts, regardless of their “system” affiliations. Based on the Witham Timeshare Benchmark report it out performs all the major timeshare companies.
LPCL regularly declines RCI invitations to accept a “Gold Crown” designation due to its lack of on-site amenities. However, anything you could want in a mountain town resort is only a few minutes’ walk or drive away. Restaurant? Five minute walk. Brewpub? Five minute walk. Beach? Five minute walk. Bicycle rental? Seven minute walk. Shopping? Ten minute walk. Golf? Three minute walk. Skiing? Fifteen minute drive to downhill, and right out the unit’s back door for cross-country. Shopping? Ten minute walk.
Lake Placid is one of only two towns in the world to have hosted two Winter Olympic Games, in 1932 and 1980. All the Olympic facilities are still in use, and open for visitors and athletes(Except this year due to virus.)

Ok well this was supposed to be just an alternate suggestion to the major systems but I guess I got a little carried away. But I have not come across a system run or independent that is better managed, maintained or value( 89000 pts @ just over .01/pt in my case ) Maint. fee only 738(538 + 160 reserve) 70 real estate taxes and low VRI fee and RCI membership fee. Less than 900/yr total per wk.

Like has been said before try renting at the sites that look to fit your personal criteria.

One note I should mention:
The newly renovated and refurbished Lake Placid Club Lodges is a “sold-out” fixed week Resort. This limits the purchase of a timeshare vacation week at the Resort to a purchase from a current owner. The good news is that you will never feel the high-pressure sales atmosphere you may find at other timeshare resorts. The bad news is that there are only a few weeks available for sale at any given time.

Good luck hunting.

Last edited:

Priscilla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like to look at timeshare with both a business and a leisure approach. The more money you put upfront, the more money you will never get back because you have to add maintenance fees to your initial investment. You can’t lose when you buy low, buy something on high demand/liquid, and buy into a system that gives you the most flexibility. When I mean low, I mean less than $1000. I like Wyndham, they have more options and are the cheapest to find in the resale market. That’s just me, I’m cheap and young, but I get more bang for my buck. Choose your poison wisely.

I’m cheap and young too. Lol. I’m currently researching to purchase a resale. You are the first person suggesting Wyndham so far.