• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to Timeshares.. looking for best/ affordable points system

JPEREZ2710

Reaction score
I am new to the timeshare scene and am currently looking for really the best way to approach timeshare ownership.. in my naive mind I feel I’d like the flexibility of a points system so we can take advantage of multiple locations.. as of now, I am leaning towards a Hilton Vacations club. But I am most certainly open to suggestions from the pros on this site! Thanks I’m advance guys!!

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am new to the timeshare scene and am currently looking for really the best way to approach timeshare ownership.. in my naive mind I feel I’d like the flexibility of a points system so we can take advantage of multiple locations.. as of now, I am leaning towards a Hilton Vacations club. But I am most certainly open to suggestions from the pros on this site! Thanks I’m advance guys!!
I think Hilton is a great system.

You mentioned affordability. You may want to determine how much you are willing to spend up front, how much you are willing to pay in maintenance fees and how much usage you would like to get. There are lots of points systems that would enable you to get solid value out of your ownership.

I am relatively new to RCI points and have found that outside of ultra peak season, I have been able to get good exchanges at Hilton Resorts (and many others).

Not all RCI points contracts are equal. The gold standard seems to be the 122K point per year Grandview at Las Vegas, but there are others that are at least as good. It may take some patience to get the right week though.

As an example, I get 137,000 points per year for $899 in maintenance fees. So my cost per point is 7/10 of a cent per point. I can exchange for a week on the big island in an HGVC unit for around 80000 points ($560 in maintenance fees). You do need to factor in exchange fee ($210) and resort fees ($25 per night for most HGVC properties).

What are some of your ideal travel destinations?

Are there any places nearby (driving distance) that you like to visit regularly? It can be a good idea to buy something that have good options close to home to make sure you can use your time.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Why Hilton? I’ll cut to the chase. Rent around a bit and visit different resorts and systems. Don’t rush, learn here, and buy resale. You’re going to get different opinions from many here. In the end it depends on the accommodations and locations you’ll want to stay. I prefer the vistana/Marriott resorts and locations so I own Vistana mandatory at vistana villages and use star options mostly for Caribbean (Atlantis). I also usually exchange into Marriott’s through interval. I also own RCI points but I personally feel Interval (the exchange company) has better resorts. I picked up RCI points for DVC trades or maybe a HGVC in Orlando here or there. Lower buy in points programs would be Wyndham or Worldmark. Higher priced points programs would be Marriott and DVC. Mid priced HGVC and Vistana Mandatory resorts that come with star options.

Last edited:

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why Hilton? I’ll cut to the chase. Rent around a bit and visit different resorts and systems. Don’t rush, learn here, and buy resale. You’re going to get different opinions from many here. In the end it depends on the accommodations you want to stay. I prefer the vistana/Marriott resorts and locations so I own Vistana mandatory at vistana villages and use star options mostly for Caribbean (Atlantis). I also usually exchange into Marriott’s through interval. I also own RCI points but I personally feel Interval (the exchange company) has better resorts. I picked up RCI points for DVC trades or maybe a HGVC in Orlando here or there. Lower buy in points programs would be Wyndham or Worldmark. Higher priced points programs would be Marriott and DVC. Mid priced HGVC and Vistana Mandatory resorts that come with star options.
This is really good advice. It's really easy to buy timeshares and a whole lot harder to get rid of them. So you'll want to make sure you have a good idea of what to expect going in.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Does Vistana have a buy in cost like Marriott?
It depends on the resort and whether you want ones that come with points. Some prefer Sheraton Vistana Villages because some phases come with points that can then be used within the system to book anywhere. Some like to buy some of the Maui locations since they come with points and you can get priority bookings at 12 months instead of 8 months. Others like the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale because it has low maintenance fees and rents well. Others prefer to just buy a week (sometimes picked up free) at a resort that doesn't get points and trade through interval (SDO is frequently mentioned as a good trader with low costs).

I own both Hilton and Vistana. They make a nice compliment as they don't have many overlapping locations. I think Hilton is probably the easier system to understand since pretty much all of the deeds come with points.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Does Vistana have a buy in cost like Marriott?
Depends. You can pick up a vistana villages (Key west or bella phase) 2 bedroom that comes with 81K star options for around 950 bucks. From 12-8 mo you can only use the options at your home resort. But at 8 Mo you can book any resort in the vistana network as well as exchange in interval international. There are lockoff as well where you can turn two bedrooms into 2 one bedrooms for two separate weeks in interval. Those platinum units come with 95,700 Star options. They have higher maint fees though, around. 1650 with the vistana membership fee.

Here is the star options chart, this will give you the resort, unit size and week you may want to travel and how many SO you’ll need

JPEREZ2710

Reaction score
It depends on the resort and whether you want ones that come with points. Some prefer Sheraton Vistana Villages because some phases come with points that can then be used within the system to book anywhere. Some like to buy some of the Maui locations since they come with points and you can get priority bookings at 12 months instead of 8 months. Others like the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale because it has low maintenance fees and rents well. Others prefer to just buy a week (sometimes picked up free) at a resort that doesn't get points and trade through interval (SDO is frequently mentioned as a good trader with low costs).

I own both Hilton and Vistana. They make a nice compliment as they don't have many overlapping locations. I think Hilton is probably the easier system to understand since pretty much all of the deeds come with points.
Does Vistana have a buy in like Marriott? I hear Marriott buy in pretty pricey that was the main reason I was looking into HGVC cause of the more affordable buy in but I am not to familiar with Vistana..

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Does Vistana have a buy in like Marriott? I hear Marriott buy in pretty pricey that was the main reason I was looking into HGVC cause of the more affordable buy in but I am not to familiar with Vistana..
You can buy a platinum 2 bedroom at SVV anywhere from 950-1500. I’ve seen some go for 200 so who really knows. I sold a lockoff 95,700 platinum week in Feb precovid for 2000.

JPEREZ2710

Reaction score
I think Hilton is a great system.

You mentioned affordability. You may want to determine how much you are willing to spend up front, how much you are willing to pay in maintenance fees and how much usage you would like to get. There are lots of points systems that would enable you to get solid value out of your ownership.

I am relatively new to RCI points and have found that outside of ultra peak season, I have been able to get good exchanges at Hilton Resorts (and many others).

Not all RCI points contracts are equal. The gold standard seems to be the 122K point per year Grandview at Las Vegas, but there are others that are at least as good. It may take some patience to get the right week though.

As an example, I get 137,000 points per year for $899 in maintenance fees. So my cost per point is 7/10 of a cent per point. I can exchange for a week on the big island in an HGVC unit for around 80000 points ($560 in maintenance fees). You do need to factor in exchange fee ($210) and resort fees ($25 per night for most HGVC properties).

What are some of your ideal travel destinations?

Are there any places nearby (driving distance) that you like to visit regularly? It can be a good idea to buy something that have good options close to home to make sure you can use your time.
So we would love to go to Hawaii.. that is something I promised the wife when I told her I’d be looking into purchasing a resale timeshare.. also we do frequent Orlando fairly regularly. But I am in Houston so the nearest resorts I know to me are in Galveston which would be a Holiday Inn and also I believe a Silfer leave resort..

JPEREZ2710

Reaction score
You can buy a platinum 2 bedroom at SVV anywhere from 950-1500. I’ve seen some go for 200 so who really knows. I sold a lockoff 95,700 platinum week in Feb precovid for 2000.
Are these prices drive out or price for unit plus fees?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
So we would love to go to Hawaii.. that is something I promised the wife when I told her I’d be looking into purchasing a resale timeshare.. also we do frequent Orlando fairly regularly. But I am in Houston so the nearest resorts I know to me are in Galveston which would be a Holiday Inn and also I believe a Silfer leave resort..
Marriott, vistana, HGVC all have units in both locations.

The maint fee on the lockoff 2 bedroom is higher but with 95,700Star options you’ll be able to book westin in Maui oceanfront one bedrooms. I was able to book that unit two years in a row (off season) one in April another in May the following year. Both were booked using Orlando star options at 8 month in advance. So, It can be done. If you can travel Outside of school breaks and holidays you’ll be able to really get the most of your ownership.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
This is what it costs to buy. Annual Maint fees are separate. The maint fee threads are posted in the red portion of each timeshare system forum. I believe there is a database someone has as well where people post what they pay each year.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of other questions:
What size unit do you need when you travel?
How flexible is your travel schedule?
Can you only travel during school breaks?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Well I like a 2 bedroom lockoff so I don’t have to hear anyone next door
Pretty flexible....
No i can travel outside school.......oops thought you were asking me. Thought maybe you had something you wanted to sell me hahah.

JPEREZ2710

Reaction score
Are these prices drive out or price for unit plus fees
Well in a perfect world we would like a unit that could accommodate 6 people.. I have 3 weeks vacation per year so I can travel any time of the year but still have a little one who we would like to include as much as possible. We just want the most bang for our buck not necessarily the cheapest but definitely something that we can feel is beneficial to our budget

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Vistana has Cancun, Cabo, Bahamas, St John, USVI, and Hawaii in their tropical destination portfolio. This is why I like Vistana (Caribbean). Marriott does have Aruba but if you stick around here and join tug you’ll get the sightings page and have no problem exchanging into Aruba through interval.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

Well in a perfect world we would like a unit that could accommodate 6 people.. I have 3 weeks vacation per year so I can travel any time of the year but still have a little one who we would like to include as much as possible. We just want the most bang for our buck not necessarily the cheapest but definitely something that we can feel is beneficial to our budget
So you need at least a two bedroom. Lockoff would be better as your family grows you’ll want more space.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I assume you are talking about the Marriott points program (you can also buy a Marriott week, but those don't come with points unless you pay big $$$ to enroll).

The difference between Marriott and Vistana is that with Vistana you are buying a deed to a specific property (similar to Hilton). That deed might come with points (StarOptions) at some resorts (called "mandatory resorts"). Vistana Villages and Westin Kierland are mandatory resorts. Click here for a good overview of the Vistana system. You can get a good week with points for anywhere from $1000-$15,000. Maintenance fees on these would run around $1600-1800.

With Marriot points, you are just buying into a land trust. These points can be used to book at any of the Marriott properties. The buy-in can be pretty steep. To get a week on Maui in an Oceanfront unit, you would need around 6500-7800 points. Resale points can be picked up around $2 per point, but then Marriott adds a $3 fee (along with some others). So you would be looking at about a $32k buy-in minimum for 6500 points. Maintenace fees on 6500 points would be around $4k per year.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I’m in a mood tonight...... been busting chops all day long lol

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So you need at least a two bedroom. Lockoff would be better as your family grows you’ll want more space.
Not to mention the ability to close the door when they become teenagers really helps! :LOL::sneaky:

JPEREZ2710

Reaction score
I assume you are talking about the Marriott points program (you can also buy a Marriott week, but those don't come with points unless you pay big $$$ to enroll).

The difference between Marriott and Vistana is that with Vistana you are buying a deed to a specific property (similar to Hilton). That deed might come with points (StarOptions) at some resorts (called "mandatory resorts"). Vistana Villages and Westin Kierland are mandatory resorts. Click here for a good overview of the Vistana system. You can get a good week with points for anywhere from $1000-$15,000. Maintenance fees on these would run around $1600-1800.

With Marriot points, you are just buying into a land trust. These points can be used to book at any of the Marriott properties. The buy-in can be pretty steep. To get a week on Maui in an Oceanfront unit, you would need around 6500-7800 points. Resale points can be picked up around $2 per point, but then Marriott adds a $3 fee (along with some others). So you would be looking at about a $32k buy-in minimum for 6500 points. Maintenace fees on 6500 points would be around $4k per year.
gulp

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

josegm888

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndam Grand Desert; Bonnet Creek

I like to look at timeshare with both a business and a leisure approach. The more money you put upfront, the more money you will never get back because you have to add maintenance fees to your initial investment. You can’t lose when you buy low, buy something on high demand/liquid, and buy into a system that gives you the most flexibility. When I mean low, I mean less than $1000. I like Wyndham, they have more options and are the cheapest to find in the resale market. That’s just me, I’m cheap and young, but I get more bang for my buck. Choose your poison wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk