• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to Starwood

rjsmom1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

My husband and I have been Wyndham owners for over 10 years now, but we purchased a Starwood off Ebay after spending the week there this summer. I'm very new to the nuances of owning a week based property (as opposed to points), so I have a lot to learn. But my general question is this.... If we bought a 2 bedroom EOY is it possible to get a 1 bedroom every year through the resort? I know I can catch deals in RCI/II and depending on when I deposit could end up getting two weeks out of the one week that I deposit, but not sure if within Starwood that's possible. This is not a lockout, so just curious on my options.

Thanks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and welcome to TUG!

No, you will not have usage through Starwood during the off years - you will need to do an exchange.

Also - You can't split a non-lock off, so when you deposit it with an exchange company, you have to deposit the entire 2 bdm.

With II, you will get the Starwood to Starwood priority for exchanges.

With RCI, you will get points (TPU - trading power units) and possibly enough TPU for two low-point exchanges.

Last edited:

Naniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it depend on whether the resort is mandatory vs. voluntary?

Hi and welcome to TUG!

No, you will not have usage through Starwood during the off years - you will need to do an exchange.

The OP didn't indicate at which resort the resale was purchased, so if it's a mandatory resort, I'm pretty sure they can bank StarOptions (SO) for use in the off-year, and depending on the seasons they choose, and how many SOs they have, they might be able to get two 1 BRs (or a 1 BR and a studio) out of the deal.

I'm really new to Starwood as well, and I bought a mandatory 2 BR EOY (odd) resale. Now, mine is a lock-off, so maybe that makes a difference, but from what I've experienced, I got a pool of SOs for use in 2015. I didn't use all of my SOs in 2015, so I was able to bank the remaining SOs (for a fee and by the deadline) and can use them for a reservation in 2016 (and maybe 2017 - do banked SOs carry forward one year or two??).

OP - here are the mandatory resorts (which get SOs and can use the internal network). If you bought one of these, you should have options to split your week (SOs):

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only)
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas

Also, here's a link to the Starwood FAQs if you have other questions. And DeniseM is a wonderful resource, as well. I've learned a lot from reading her posts.

Last edited:

rjsmom1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great info. I purchased at the Sheraton Vistana in Orlando. It's not a lock-off, so I didn't believe that it could be split. The unit I've purchased is a 2BR (non-lockoff) EOY - Odd. I'm good with waiting, just was curious.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Great info. I purchased at the Sheraton Vistana in Orlando. It's not a lock-off, so I didn't believe that it could be split. The unit I've purchased is a 2BR (non-lockoff) EOY - Odd. I'm good with waiting, just was curious.

You can only split a 2-bdm. lock-off.

Sheraton Vistana VILLAGES or Sheraton Vistana RESORT?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
"Do banked SOs carry forward one year or two??"

Two years

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't believe the OP has Staroptions, based on this:

I'm very new to the nuances of owning a week based property (as opposed to points), so I have a lot to learn.

If this is a voluntary week, she has to use an exchange company during the off years.