• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Timeshare - Am I Stuck?

Serket81

Reaction score
So we just got a 126k points Wyndham timeshare with 175 bonus points for 19k along with a VIP option for 2 years during our trip in Vegas. Unfortunately, I didn't come across this site until last night and we're 5 days past the recession window. I'm not sure what the best option I have is, if any, since I'm having doubts about this purchase. Any advise would be appreciated.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG! Unfortunately, 'getting out' easily is no longer an option. My advice is to stick around TUG. Lean to use what you bought. Your initial purchase is a modest stash of points, that won't always provide you a full week in a top resort, but combined with the bonuses you got along with the purchase, you should have some very nice vacations. Other Wyndham owners can offer you suggestions to get the most of your points.

Perhaps, after the bonus time has passed and you've use what you have, you'll decide to either acquire more points (resale, of course), or go through some process to unload it. It's far too early to be thinking about the (economically) painful process. First and foremost, DO NOT entertain any thoughts of signing up with ANY 'exit' scheme. Those don't do anything you can't except drain your bank account.

If you are planning on using your Wyndham points to travel to other far-flung resorts or to RCI properties, consider joining TUG ($15/yr) to give you access to reviews by TUGgers of thousands of resorts so you can get some advance insight.

Again, Welcome!

Jim

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
As stated you’re out of luck on getting out
But you must have seen some value in it to buy it so learn how to use it and add to your package as you feel the need
Don’t be as concerned with the $$ you bought for. It’s no more of a loss than any other product we as people buy new such as a car. Boat. RV etc but the value will come in using it and having great accommodations when you travel
Now. If you never use it then the upfront monies as well as maintenance fees will be a waste

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
At this point, unless you have material proof (ie in writing) of any fraud, it is difficult to rescind your purchase contract outside the recession window. I have only heard one instance where that has happened. And in that case, the buyer had written proof that the salesperson misrepresented how housekeeping fees worked.

If have some other evidence of misrepresentation, and assuming you made the payment via credit card - you could try to make a good faith effort to get them to take back the purchase, and if that fails dispute the charge. I have heard people say they will try that approach, but have never heard back any favorable results.

Other than that, Passepartout's advice is the best path forward. Learn to use what you bought, dont compound your problems by getting involved with the timeshare relief companies, and dont try to dig yourself out of the hole by buying more points.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
So we just got a 126k points Wyndham timeshare with 175 bonus points for 19k along with a VIP option for 2 years during our trip in Vegas. Unfortunately, I didn't come across this site until last night and we're 5 days past the recession window. I'm not sure what the best option I have is, if any, since I'm having doubts about this purchase. Any advise would be appreciated.
Unfortunately rescission cannot be done at this point. Your best bet is to pay the loan off as soon as possible. With their financing that 19K will turn into 39K when all said and done andd you don’t want that. Next may be to pick up more points on resale free just to offset that 19K a bit. Then I’d suggest learning as much as you can here on how to use your ownership. Travel on it, use it and try to enjoy it. Timeshares aren’t bad if you own in a good system. Wyndham is pretty good so use it as best as you can. Don’t feel bad. Almost all here paid developer prices at first, I know I did.

goDeacs22

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA 84K
I was in your shoes three years ago! You will go nuts the first little while learning all the things they don't tell you when you purchase. It will get better, I promise. You will learn how it works over time.

Serket81

Reaction score
Thank you all for all the input. It's just a bit overwhelming at first. I'm definitely going to try to get the most out of this timeshare.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
The resorts are great. We have been on amazing vacations that we would never have gone on. Glad you found TUG, any time you have questions, ask here. You'll get plenty of answers/opinions.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Thank you all for all the input. It's just a bit overwhelming at first. I'm definitely going to try to get the most out of this timeshare.
Hi, welcome to tug.

Many of us, including myself, purchased our first timeshare from the developer. Then owning Tug we learned everything to maximize our purchased. Where it stings now, in time it will diminish with the great trips you take.

As @Passepartout suggested, I will too, Consider becoming a member of tug for $15, reviews plus sightings are two valuable things you have as a member.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
It looks like you bought at about $150 per thousand points, which isn't that bad for retail price. My advice would be to see if you would be interested in becoming VIP Gold since you're stuck with it unless you default. All of my points are resale and I don't see buying two 3 bedroom PICs to get to VIP gold as a bad financial decision if you can afford it. I'm personally going to probably buy a bit of DVC and Worldmark for 1-2 night stays, so I don't need Gold benefits, which is why I'm resale only. But once you see how housekeeping credits and reservation transactions work, you will see how VIP Gold can save money in the long run (after 15 years of use), especially for weekend getaways.

To get permanent VIP Gold, it will cost you an additional 166,000 points when they bump up the requirement to 800,000 points. You can get the PIC deeds for free from timeshare nation that will give you an extra 508,000 points for VERY low maintenance fees. If you call telesales, you can buy 168,000 points from them (exactly 166,000 isn't sold) for $134 per thousand. Permanent VIP Gold will cost you an extra $22,512, but it's worth the $41,000 price tag if you properly use it.

Developer points aren't worth their price tag unless you plan on being VIP. There's very little difference between retail and resale when you own less than 400,000 points.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to try to get the most out of this timeshare.

Well if you're going to remain as an owner, now would be a good time to alert you to the many scams out there that are aimed at TS owners. You might get phone calls, e-mails, see Google ads, or hear ads on the radio (or TV) promising to get you out of your unwanted TS or to sell/rent your TS for big bucks. These are almost always scams.

weleftmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, follow the advice you are getting. Don't look back with regret, it is too late for that, learn to enjoy what you purchased. We have also had some amazing vacations that otherwise would not have been possible. Going to a "normal" hotel now is such a letdown.

Mommahacker

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Canterbury San Francisco
We have been owners for several years. Wish I found this site a long time ago. We unfortunately purchased all of our points from Wyndham, but not a total loss we use our timeshare a lot. Just wish I knew about the resale market though. Glad I found you. Thank you all for your combine knowledge.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
We have been owners for several years. Wish I found this site a long time ago. We unfortunately purchased all of our points from Wyndham, but not a total loss we use our timeshare a lot. Just wish I knew about the resale market though. Glad I found you. Thank you all for your combine knowledge.
You presumably got VIP benefits though.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes we do.
Resales don’t get VIP benefits. My rule of thumb is that it takes VIP owners 10 years to break even, then you start saving with VIP benefits. Nowadays, it takes $26k with 2 PICs to get gold, $66k with 2 PICs to get platinum.

Last edited:

Mommahacker

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This lets you know how much I need to learn. PIC????????

AZLatin5

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Pacific Palisades
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
A PIC is when you can add a non Wyndham (approved) timeshare to your portfolio. I have a 2bedroom at Grand Pacific Palisades if I added it as a PIC I would buy 49k points from Wyndham to qualify my PIC and then have the option of getting 154k pnts for GPP which could be used towards VIP status Some people pick up really cheap 3 bedroom resales that can be added as a PIC to reach higher levels

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
PIC is a sales tool used to entice existing owners of non-Wyndham properties to buy more points by giving them credit toward VIP status for those other timeshares they own. Somewhat under the theory that the easiest sale is to owners who have bought points from a developer (at full price).

Owners can use that loophole to their advantage to "buy-in" to VIP status at a price far less than full retail price. But the ROI is very dependent on how you travel and your willingness to adapt to changes that Wyndham might make to the VIP program. The ROI is higher for those able to travel at the last minute and/or in off-shoulder season.

Mommahacker

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm wanted to upgrade to PR but was unwillingly to go through wyndham. That's when I heard about the resale. Unfortunately nothing out there to consider.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm wanted to upgrade to PR but was unwillingly to go through wyndham. That's when I heard about the resale. Unfortunately nothing out there to consider.
If you buy resale points, they qualify for VIP benefits for now.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
If you buy resale points, they qualify for VIP benefits for now.

Just to be clear, if you buy resale points, your current VIP benefits would apply to those points as well as the retail points you already own. The resale points would not count towards the number of points you need to be eligible for VIP benefits as only retail and PIC points count towards eligibility. That is to say, you can’t buy resale points in order to go from gold to platinum for example, but if you are already gold, you would get the discounted booking at 60 days, etc., with resale points.

Mommahacker

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you. Looking for presidential reserve if you know of any. Have a great day.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Doesn't Wyndham have a ROFR clause for PR that they actually use?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Doesn't Wyndham have a ROFR clause for PR that they actually use?

I hadn't heard that. But the current directory on page 232 indicates that PR benefits on resale PR contracts may be limited.