• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Thinking on Covid Lockdowns: They’re Overly Blunt and Costly

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I suspected that you were asking this to get an idea of how risk averse we are since you mention something about immunity was but it was not clear to me. I answered the question based on my assessment of risk so I said I would prefer Florida. My family lives there and so far no one has gotten sick or died that we know and several family members are essential workers. I do not see living in FL as a big risk if you follow safety guidelines. Immunity does not affect my choice.

I know a ton of people in Florida and none thankfully have gotten COVID and some are older folks. We are ruining younger people’s lives and businesses with this lockdown stuff instead of just the vulnerable being the ones to be isolated. Oh wait, I’m 64- Nope not isolating myself either by choice if I can help it. I’d move wherever I wanted to despite COVID numbers. Ok it helps I don’t like urban areas. And mask up only in places I need to go to where they are required- but only IF required. So I would move wherever there are the least restrictions or no restrictions IF I ever were to move again which I don’t see doing. NH has had less restrictions than other places but for me still too many.

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Spoke to health professional today in Wisconsin who reiterated that wearing masks has lowered the incidence of Covid in Wisconsin. The mask mandate went into effect august 1

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I know a ton of people in Florida and none thankfully have gotten COVID and some are older folks. We are ruining younger people’s lives and businesses with this lockdown stuff instead of just the vulnerable being the ones to be isolated. Oh wait, I’m 64- Nope not isolating myself either by choice if I can help it. I’d move wherever I wanted to despite COVID numbers. Ok it helps I don’t like urban areas. And mask up only in places I need to go to where they are required- but only IF required. So I would move wherever there are the least restrictions or no restrictions IF I ever were to move again which I don’t see doing. NH has had less restrictions than other places but for me still too many.

Covid is a short term issue. I hope the people who are making permanent moves are moving places they can stay long term. A lot of people are moving to the suburbs and rural places but I wonder what will happen if/when their jobs call them back. For example, Amazon and Apple are renting more office space in NYC. I suspect the WFH will not last forever.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Covid is a short term issue. I hope the people who are making permanent moves are moving places they can stay long term. A lot of people are moving to the suburbs and rural places but I wonder what will happen if/when their jobs call them back. For example, Amazon and Apple are renting more office space in NYC. I suspect the WFH will not last forever.

Totally agree. We saw this in NY after 9/11. And people buying McMansions in the burbs and rural areas, only to lose their jobs or suddenly realize that long commute was to hard to handle. And the country lifestyle did not have the conveniences they were used to. Then selling or foreclosing on their homes they paid way too much money for in the first place, though to them at the time they were “ bargains”.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sweden continues to relax the measures:

Swedish Health Agency approves limited soccer crowds

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. We saw this in NY after 9/11. And people buying McMansions in the burbs and rural areas, only to lose their jobs or suddenly realize that long commute was to hard to handle. And the country lifestyle did not have the conveniences they were used to. Then selling or foreclosing on their homes they paid way too much money for in the first place, though to them at the time they were “ bargains”.

Not to diminish its significance, but 9/11 was an acute event that killed 2977 people in a short defined time span. Coronavirus has killed 833,173 (Worldometers) people as I post this and it is an ongoing event with no resolution in sight. IMO the two aren’t anywhere near comparable when predicting long term societal and behavioural changes.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is going to be prolonged. Companies will not require people to come back to the office for a really long time. It is near impossible to socially distance in most office environments. In big metro areas with high rise buildings you can't cram people into elevators. In Manhattan, people aren't going to take the subway to work in droves like before. The liability for a company who mandates workers on site isn't worth the trouble. I see the short term issue going out approximately 3 years and by then the norm has changed.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This is going to be prolonged. Companies will not require people to come back to the office for a really long time. It is near impossible to socially distance in most office environments. In big metro areas with high rise buildings you can't cram people into elevators. In Manhattan, people aren't going to take the subway to work in droves like before. The liability for a company who mandates workers on site isn't worth the trouble. I see the short term issue going out approximately 3 years and by then the norm has changed.

I hope you are right. I prefer the work from home situation. I hope it never returns to normal.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At the same time, big tech companies are moving in.

A lot of companies are expanding in NYC now. Amazon and Apple just expanded too. I suspect the WFH is short term and they will call employees back to the office. Otherwise, why are they expanding office space?

My employees want to go back to the office. The homes in the Bay Area are small and they do not have a separate space to work. The clients want to come back to the office too. I am the one saying no, not yet.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
To allow companies to send staff home? Way different economy.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I work for a fairly large (60K+ employees), global high tech company, and they have a three phase plan for reintroducing employees back to the office. 20%, 50% and 100%. We are currently not even in phase 1 yet, and their latest estimate is for phase 3 to be sometime next summer. They have also said that even after the offices are fully open, they will not force anyone to come back to the office if they wish to remain working from home.

Kurt

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Office space and social distancing........can't put everyone in a bullpen. No more huddle rooms. Can't hold big presentations in theater like rooms with everyone crammed in. Plus, now everyone will have to wear masks. Many companies are investing in monitors that you have to wear to facilitate contact tracing. Sounds surreal.

One company I work with told me that they are now at 150 square feet per employee and need to get to 250 in order to socially distance. These are realities.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score

3 years? I could see how some cities will never recover but it won't be due to the virus.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
3 years? I could see how some cities will never recover but it won't be due to the virus.
Not sure what you are talking about. I never said anything about cities and econonomic recovery. My initial quote was in response to whether companies are going to require people to go back to the office. I think companies in services industries will be fine with mostly remote workers on a go forward basis.

Now if you want me to give you my take on commercial real estate and the values there, we can start another conversation. I think you know where my head is from my posts.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure what you are talking about. I never said anything about cities and econonomic recovery. My initial quote was in response to whether companies are going to require people to go back to the office. I think companies in services industries will be fine with mostly remote workers on a go forward basis.

Now if you want me to give you my take on commercial real estate and the values there, we can start another conversation. I think you know where my head is from my posts.

I think it is going to be an uneven recovery. Winners and losers, as usual. It will take years if not forever for some individuals and businesses to recover while others are getting richer during Covid. I am in the lucky half.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

Comorbidities
Table 3 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death. The number of deaths with each condition or cause is shown for all deaths and by age groups. For data on comorbidities, Socrata icon Click here to download.

Bottomline: If a person is old or has underlying health problems, Covid can tip the scale against you. But if you are healthy and young, Covid deaths are rare. Just like pneumonia. If you get pneumonia and are obese or old, you are more likely to die of pneumonia (or flu, for that matter).

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too true, but with a mortality rate of 3.1% and a morbidity rate of 30% (morbidity indicating ongoing post infection complications, duration obviously unknown).. If 80% of Americans need to get the disease to obtain herd immunity and 3% of that 80% die, that's 8 million dead.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too true, but with a mortality rate of 3.1% and a morbidity rate of 30% (morbidity indicating ongoing post infection complications, duration obviously unknown).. If 80% of Americans need to get the disease to obtain herd immunity and 3% of that 80% die, that's 8 million dead.
parts of the world that did not close down, did not make masks mandatory, kept schools and restaurants open show that the numbers you mentioned are way off. Sweden's deaths are virtually zero currently, this suggests they are close to herd immunity. The total number of deaths is not 247,000 but about 50 times lower

Brett

Reaction score
parts of the world that did not close down, did not make masks mandatory, kept schools and restaurants open show that the numbers you mentioned are way off. Sweden's deaths are virtually zero currently, this suggests they are close to herd immunity. The total number of deaths is not 247,000 but about 50 times lower

Sweden Shouldn’t Be America’s Pandemic Model
The Swedes aren’t close to reaching herd immunity. We need to continue to contain the virus spread.

Wall Street Journal August 30, 2020

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sweden-shouldnt-be-americas-pandemic-model-11598822005

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm worried about the politicizing of our children's educations.
Yes, since my granddaughter in kindergarten hasn't been able to meet any of her classmates in person. She is such a social girl; meanwhile, my other granddaughter is in pre-K at a Lutheran school, and she is truly enjoying her preschool experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.