• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New shower head at WKORN

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
We just returned from 12 days in a one bedroom at WKORN. We were in unit 7570. Two changes from when we were in Building 8 there in February.

1. New rainwater type shower head in the shower. Not sure if this is true for all units. Here is a photo.

Shower.jpg

2. The new LG TV's run a resort specific access program. The good news is that the guide is no longer the Oceanic scrolling guide. The bad news is that, at least in our unit, the guide did not match local time for several of the cable only channels. It seemed to be off by at least 3 hours.

Greg

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
This shower head was being used at WKORV, WPORV, and Westin Verasa (Napa).

Correct, some channels are off by 3 hours. I find the slowness of channel changing to be painful. The guide was channel 29.1 (iirc). We ended up using our FireTV stick for the most part.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are the showers in WLR following the refresh.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I'm really surprised by this. Those rain shower faucets use so much more water than conventional shower heads. When we switched from a rainwater to a traditional shower head, our water bill was cut by 2/3. $75 to $23 per month. I kid you not.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I'm really surprised by this. Those rain shower faucets use so much more water than conventional shower heads. When we switched from a rainwater to a traditional shower head, our water bill was cut by 2/3. $75 to $23 per month. I kid you not.

Rain and traditional shower heads are not all equal to one another. The flow rate depends on the specific model as well as the system water pressure. Also, flow restrictors may or may not be installed according to hotel policies or local regulations.

The Element hotel chain uses shower heads which look just like this and the water trickles out with such little pressure as to make the shower almost useless. It takes 3 times as long to shower and probably ends up using more water in the long run. I am hopeful that these new shower heads are not the same configuration as the ones from the Element.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The different showers we used (WKORV, WPORV, Napa) had a very good flow rate.
Napa surprised me since we are in an epic drought.

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at WKORVN and WPORV recently. Absolutely agree that the shower heads and stalls were great. The TV channels and remote control units were mediocre at best.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The different showers we used (WKORV, WPORV, Napa) had a very good flow rate.
Napa surprised me since we are in an epic drought.

Same unit now at WDW, as well.

Sent from my iPad

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Similar shower head in Westin Vancouver. Except it was "in the ceiling".
We hated it. No water pressure whatsoever - had to rinse for a very long time to get the shampoo out of my hair.

Edit:
I read okwiater's post after I posted. That description fits the Vancouver shower head perfectly.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
FYI, they installed the new shower head units when I was there earlier this year. I spoke with the install crew for a few minutes about it and of course it's more efficient than the previous unit.

For myself, I don't like the new unit much at all. I have a rain unit from the ceiling at home put in a few years ago when I remodeled but found it doesn't get used. The previous units were superior in every way. There are plenty of options out there and they could have found a water efficient shower head that more closely matches what they had but instead they installed a unit that required drilling (I heard it for a week+ while there earlier this year) which means in 5-10 years when it needs replacement, it will either leave a patch or require a similar unit. I'm really not sure why they chose this particular model, but it's now at Westin hotels as well so expect to see it more often.

Sent from my iPad

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It's also a pretty well designed retro to get two shower heads where one used yo be And there is no diverter in the wall.
They are made by Grohe. Parts and replacements will be around a long time.

http://www.grohe.com/us/5791/showers/planning-renovation-advice/replace-your-shower-system/

Perhaps you don't remember we used to have two shower heads. Then one. Now one and a handle.

Grohe makes great stuff, no complaint there.

Sent from my iPad

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you don't remember we used to have two shower heads. Then one. Now one and a handle.

Grohe makes great stuff, no complaint there.

Sent from my iPad
Never been to WORKV or even HI

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Amazingly, this is the new Westin Heavenly Shower Head. Just $1499 regularly (now on sale 30% off).

https://www.westinstore.com/productDetail.aspx?Westin-Heavenly-Shower-System

This is the old Heavenly shower from 2001 (clearly the times have changed since then):

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4008006.html

You can still find it for sale, just $100:

http://www.amazon.com/Speakman-S-2222-HS-CP-I-Heavenly-Anystream-Shower/dp/B0049XPVF8

Apparently there's a FlyerTalk about this very issue, including comments from several regular travelers that they hate the new shower head so much they are changing hotels. The first reported install was in 2012 but now is seen all over. It seems people either love it or hate it. Amusingly, the thread at FT quickly went to a tangent about the Westin green soap as compared to the almost universally liked previous white soap (which, IMO, was a lot better...the new stuff is obviously much cheaper). Continuing with that theme, earlier this year I actually bought a bag of 20 small Aveda soap bars for travel from Amazon (originally found at a great independent hotel in the South) - to me, it's definitely worth the $1.40 or so for each visit (I'm at SDO this week and the Sheraton soap is even worse than the Westin green soap...).

Also, per one post on FT the shower head is by Kohler, not Grohe. I don't know or really care...after my own testing a few years ago I switched everything at my home to Hansgrohe, not related to Grohe, and think it was a great choice.

ETA made by Kohler confirmed as stated on Westin's site:

Manufactured by Kohler exclusively for
Westin Hotels

So, not as good as Grohe by any means.

Sent from my iPad

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, hansgrohe and Grohe are really related! They are indeed independent, but the similarity in names comes from a family relationship.

Hans Grohe founded his company in 1901. His son, Friedrich, purchased another company and renamed it in 1948.

See http://blog.efaucets.com/hansgrohe-vs-grohe-which-is-better/

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Um...I meant the companies weren't related...

Forgot some smilies! I know what you meant.:D

I have some hansgrohe faucets and also see Grohe a lot in Germany. I didn't know the difference until relatively recently. I thought I'd point out the article that explains the difference.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amazingly, this is the new Westin Heavenly Shower Head. Just $1499 regularly (now on sale 30% off).

https://www.westinstore.com/productDetail.aspx?Westin-Heavenly-Shower-System

This is the old Heavenly shower from 2001 (clearly the times have changed since then):

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4008006.html

You can still find it for sale, just $100:

http://www.amazon.com/Speakman-S-2222-HS-CP-I-Heavenly-Anystream-Shower/dp/B0049XPVF8

Apparently there's a FlyerTalk about this very issue, including comments from several regular travelers that they hate the new shower head so much they are changing hotels. The first reported install was in 2012 but now is seen all over. It seems people either love it or hate it. Amusingly, the thread at FT quickly went to a tangent about the Westin green soap as compared to the almost universally liked previous white soap (which, IMO, was a lot better...the new stuff is obviously much cheaper). Continuing with that theme, earlier this year I actually bought a bag of 20 small Aveda soap bars for travel from Amazon (originally found at a great independent hotel in the South) - to me, it's definitely worth the $1.40 or so for each visit (I'm at SDO this week and the Sheraton soap is even worse than the Westin green soap...).

Also, per one post on FT the shower head is by Kohler, not Grohe. I don't know or really care...after my own testing a few years ago I switched everything at my home to Hansgrohe, not related to Grohe, and think it was a great choice.

ETA made by Kohler confirmed as stated on Westin's site:

So, not as good as Grohe by any means.

Sent from my iPad
I knew I had seen them on the plumbing websites when I was looking for something.

Everyone getting in on the design now.

The problem is the pressure is too low for that rain head.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Time to add a portable drill (for removal of the flow restrictor) to the timeshare packing list? :ignore:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
...Amusingly, the thread at FT quickly went to a tangent about the Westin green soap as compared to the almost universally liked previous white soap (which, IMO, was a lot better...the new stuff is obviously much cheaper).

I have been going to Westin TSs since 2006 - and always had green soap. Are they really talking about soap used a decade ago?

As to the new shower heads - it is all about pressure. They would perform poorly (aka suck) w/o adequate water pressure. Overall - we liked them, but our water pressure was good. Although, I do prefer the old ones (dual head w/ a shutoff switch for one head), but also like using the spray head on new ones.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have been going to Westin TSs since 2006 - and always had green soap. Are they really talking about soap used a decade ago?

Long memories.

As to the new shower heads - it is all about pressure. They would perform poorly (aka suck) w/o adequate water pressure. Overall - we liked them, but our water pressure was good. Although, I do prefer the old ones (dual head w/ a shutoff switch for one head), but also like using the spray head on new ones.

I'll try to post a pic of the unit at SDO this week, as it uses a similar connection but has the old style shower head. I like it much more than the others.

For myself, I also prefer a regular shower head vs rain. Water pressure definitely makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
SDO shower post-renovation.