• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Sales Weasel Lie

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
At check-in I said no to attend an update. Someone, a sales weasel I think, looked at my reservation and told me VIP owners will lose VIP benefits so I need to attend. I knew it was a lie, but I thought it would be fun to hear what they have to say. So I agreed to attend.

The new angle is, older VIP accounts will lose benefits if no new purchases are recorded. Since my VIP Platinum account goes back to 1995 with no purchases since then I'll lose my VIP benefits this year.

I asked why and was told older VIP benefits are not permanent so I need to purchase154K point to renew it. I asked if that was policy and if so I'd like to see it in print. Long story short, it's not in print because it only applies to older VIP accounts. I said, that doesn't make sense. He brought in another weasel with the same story. My sixty minutes were up so I said, nice try and good bye then walked out. This appears to be another lie with an angle.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Scare and snare tactics. Glad you called them out on it.

Dave

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Long story short, it's not in print because it only applies to older VIP accounts. I said, that doesn't make sense. He brought in another weasel with the same story.
I’d ask them why they address old VIP accounts going back prior to 2012 in print in the directory where they talk about legacy (grandfathered) VIP accounts (page 312). Your account is addressed there, so they’ll have to put it in print if they want to take away your status, lol.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another lie with a scare tactic angle. You got to love them for their imagination.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Another lie with a scare tactic angle. You got to love them for their imagination.

If you don't buy something, they don't earn a commission. Pretty easy pickings for most of them, sadly.

Dave

troy12n

Reaction score
This sounds a lot like the lies that "Wyndham Kim" at Governors Green used on me to try to get me to do an update. The depths they stoop to to get a sale...

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham South Shore, Wyndham Bali Hai, Wyndham Shearwater, Worldmark, Regal Vistas at Massanutten, Marriott Grand Chateau
At check-in I said no to attend an update. Someone, a sales weasel I think, looked at my reservation and told me VIP owners will lose VIP benefits so I need to attend. I knew it was a lie, but I thought it would be fun to hear what they have to say. So I agreed to attend.

The new angle is, older VIP accounts will lose benefits if no new purchases are recorded. Since my VIP Platinum account goes back to 1995 with no purchases since then I'll lose my VIP benefits this year.

I asked why and was told older VIP benefits are not permanent so I need to purchase154K point to renew it. I asked if that was policy and if so I'd like to see it in print. Long story short, it's not in print because it only applies to older VIP accounts. I said, that doesn't make sense. He brought in another weasel with the same story. My sixty minutes were up so I said, nice try and good bye then walked out. This appears to be another lie with an angle.

At the end I would’ve grabbed their names and said “thanks for the information, I’m pretty upset they would do something like this, I’m going to email michael brown and say thank god these two salesmen (with the names included) let me know about the new rules! I’ll have to get an attorney involved!” And then watch them shit their pants

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham South Shore, Wyndham Bali Hai, Wyndham Shearwater, Worldmark, Regal Vistas at Massanutten, Marriott Grand Chateau

Either then or I would’ve been loud and said “does everybody here know that they’ll have to continue to buy points or they’ll lose their VIP status? I never would’ve bought if I knew that!” And made a scene

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBV, Bali Hai, Wyndham Palm Aire, Bonnet Creek, Patriot's Place, Harbour, Sea Watch, etc.

Some of our contracts date back to the 1990s thus we too have been affected in the downgrade from Founders to Platinum syndrome. Our last contract was in 2012 and from that time on Wyndham has chipped away at VIP benefits. The truth is we are too old to buy more points but had planned to set up a trust for our kids, grandkids and great grandkids.
With benefits plummeting and Wyndham sales weasels lies increasing I don't want to give them something worth nothing. Thus the well over the six figures I paid Wyndham is basically " Gone With The Wind ". Perhaps Wyndham (who is a master at one sided timeshare contracts and a sales staff who promises you utopia and you get purgatory) will someday go too far and get burnt in a legal way. They truly deserve it.

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Just another FOMO type sales tactic - we see new variations on the same theme...

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
It warms my heart whenever a sales weasel caught in a lie is told to pound sand.

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
I know what they (Sale Associates) would say, but has anyone set their phone on the table to record the conversations? I don't recall seeing anything in writing that states you can't. I am pretty sure they couldn't provide anything either. I have thought about it before, but have fortunately never heard quite so blatant lies. Half truths, sure, but nothing like this. Most of them just try to confuse what is owned and offer to "optimize" or "fix" it with a purchase. I am curious to hear if anyone has tried.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I know what they (Sale Associates) would say, but has anyone set their phone on the table to record the conversations? I don't recall seeing anything in writing that states you can't. I am pretty sure they couldn't provide anything either. I have thought about it before, but have fortunately never heard quite so blatant lies. Half truths, sure, but nothing like this. Most of them just try to confuse what is owned and offer to "optimize" or "fix" it with a purchase. I am curious to hear if anyone has tried.

I often end up putting my phone on the table at some point when we attend sales updates - I've been asked several times if I'm recording the conversation when I've done this. I've never attempted to record anything when attending a sales update - since most states prohibit recording others without their express approval (and/or without informing the person prior to the recording). But the fact that they ask whether they're being recorded - indicates it is of concern to them on some level.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Some of our contracts date back to the 1990s thus we too have been affected in the downgrade from Founders to Platinum syndrome. Our last contract was in 2012 and from that time on Wyndham has chipped away at VIP benefits. The truth is we are too old to buy more points but had planned to set up a trust for our kids, grandkids and great grandkids.
With benefits plummeting and Wyndham sales weasels lies increasing I don't want to give them something worth nothing. Thus the well over the six figures I paid Wyndham is basically " Gone With The Wind ". Perhaps Wyndham (who is a master at one sided timeshare contracts and a sales staff who promises you utopia and you get purgatory) will someday go too far and get burnt in a legal way. They truly deserve it.
I don't have any retail points, but I thought older accounts were grandfathered in?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

You should write another letter to Michael Brown at Wyndham corporate to complain about this new sales' pitch. Maybe he would be interested. You wrote a letter once before to say how grateful you were that Wyndham cracked down on mega renters. Maybe you have his ear.