• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New rental auction service.

pwpeterson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello, TUG.

I'd like people's opinions on a new service I am considering developing for timeshare owners.

The new service would be an auction site for renting timeshares.

People like me who can't always use their timeshares could list them to rent to the highest bidder.

I have never rented my timeshare out as I usually bank it with RCI. But sometimes I can't take a week away and would rather have the cash.

My understanding is that my timeshare association will rent my week but will take 30% for their service.

I think a rental auction service would give both owners and renters a better value.

I have many questions regarding this venture and really would like to begin a dialogue on the pros and cons of the idea.

Thx

pwpeterson

KauaiMark

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Marriott Beach Club
What are you going to call it?

Here's a suggestion. Call it ww.ebay.com

But seriously, if you start a "new auction" site, how are you going to get the word out? There are a number of alternative-to-eBay auctions sites already in business where you can post your rentals.

...Mark

pwpeterson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mark,

Thanks for the response. Can you give me a couple of sites that are already doing what I am considering?

I just did a quick google search on 'timeshare rental auction'. I searched through the first few pages and didn't find anything that rents timeshares based on auction bids. I did find some that referenced an auction for selling/buying but nothing for renting.

Regarding the idea in general... There are many questions and challenges that will need to be addressed before committing too many resources. Maybe it's something that wouldn't work but I want to do some more research before giving up.

Thx again,

Paul

pwpeterson

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did the google search again and looked further into the top listed sites that referenced 'auction' in the site descriptors.

There are so many sites for selling and buying them and many others for renting them at a fixed rate, however, I didn't see any one with any google ranking that does what I want to do.

Checking these sites out leads me to believe there is a need for an easy to use site dedicated solely to serving owners who want to rent their weeks to the highest bidder.

Please, can someone send me a link to a site that seems to do what I want to do?

Paul

geekette

Reaction score
bidshares is another

Seems to me that the problem with rental auctions is that I would need to at least get my mf out. That would make a rental auction far less, um, "bargainy" than a sales auction, as who would do this without a reserve?

it could get difficult for there to be any margin from which to pay you, unless you flat-fee'd for any completed rental, or the privilege of listing.

Of course, you could rent a pile of "for rents" and re-rent! ya know, so long as you were prepared to lose your shirt.

pwpeterson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dan,

It's an interesting site. However it appears to be for packaged vacations. Something resorts, hotels, etc put together.

I didn't see a section specifically for individual timeshares where an owner can enter info about his timeshare unit and let others bid on it.

I like the auction interface and my application will have many of skyauction's features and functions.

Can someone tell me how many timeshares go unused and unrented each year? I have to believe a 'good' site with an easy-to-use interface and without too much advertising would be helpful in connecting those looking for a timshare to rent with those with timeshares to rent.

Comments...

Paul