• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Redweek Listing Policy

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again BigDawgTug for the OP. Anyone else who might be of the same opinion as OP and want to try something else, please do contact support.
If you want to let them know your dissatisfaction with how they have handled the unannounced change in format by pulling your ads and asking for a refund, keep contacting support until you get Valerie. Don't bother replying if you get a response from Phyllis I don't know if there are more than these two people, but I doubt it, since multiple people have mentioned the same two names.
I received a refund for my single listing. I am not against using redweek payments, but as a Canadian I don't have a SSN, so I am not sure how Redweek will handle my payout. From what I have read I believe that they issue US tax forms. Do they hold back $$ for those of us non-US citizens?

WahooWah

Reaction score
I did a quick look at the number of ads that include Redweek payments at various Marriott resorts. Most resorts that I looked at had over 50% of the listings with the option to use Redweek’s payment protection, some were over 70%. It was much higher than I expected.

The exception to this are the Hawaii Resorts which are lower. Also, the South Carolina resorts where Redweek is required to collect taxes had high % of listing with the payment option. Here are few examples of number of listings that have the Redweek payment option. The overall average is 57.5% and if you look at the just the mainland resorts the average is 62% of the listing have the payment option.

Maui Ocean Club 176 of 396 44%
Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Tower 92 of 249 36%
Ocean Club - Napili Tower 55 of 107 51%
Ko Olina Beach Club 257 of 545 47%
Mountainside 142 of 201 70%
Summit Watch 102 of 164 62%
Newport Coast 273 of 469 58%
Desert Springs Villas II 139 of 218 64%
Timber Lodge 105 of 155 68%
Ocean Pointe 175 of 336 52%
Crystal Shores 378 of 482 78%
Canyon Villas 158 of 219 72%
Grande Ocean 142 of 206 68%
Grande Vista 142 of 192 74%
SurfWatch 123 of 163 75%
OceanWatch Villas 218 of 281 77%

Fantastic data, grupp, thank you! I'll disclose my bias in this fight. I'm a broker in Hawaii who deals almost exclusively with Hawaii timeshares. Off the top of my head, I could list about a dozen other brokers in Hawaii and on the mainland who use RW services all of whom are well known to most TUG users. None of them would ever use the RW online booking services. That is either a majority or a significant minority of listings on RW for Hawaii timeshare rentals and resales. All of these brokers fully verify their listings and have established trust in the marketplace. This move by RW is bad for the market as a whole. I don't believe any of you who are defending this move are fully understanding this point. How many of the defenders will fully disclose their bias?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Shell is apparently balking at confirming my 2 bed at Peacock Suites for the Redweek verification tag. Shell actually told Redweek that I don't have anything but a 3 bedroom in my account. I sent the confirmation, I called Shell and told them that Redweek was getting wrong information, and Shell was not helpful .

Wyndham runs Shell, just FYI. So that is Wyndham stopping my verify.

tink10

TUG Member
Reaction score
We wanted to take a moment to respond. Needless to say, we've been a little busy with Hurricane Ian and resort closures.

For our supporters, thank you so much!!

For those of you who are unhappy, we do absolutely understand why some owners would be upset with the new default sorting and we did expect it. Our management team has reviewed every comment and thank you all for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

Currently, we have no plans to change the the default view. Our visitors are always welcome to re-sort postings using any of the criteria from the drop down and also use the filters. We understand that this isn’t the outcome that some owners desire, but we believe that it gives priority to the postings that protect both the renter and the owner.

Many owners don't realize that they're the targets of scammers just as often as the renters are. We've seen many cases where an owner's personal email is hacked, and the scammer will impersonate the owner and intercept rental funds intended for the owner. We're coming into the season where we see the most of that activity. So, we had to weigh all sides of the matter and simply want every owner's week to rent, and we want everyone to be safe, owners and renters alike.

For those owners who have no interest in using our Online Booking, our Customer Service team can certainly cancel your posting(s) and request the refund. If you're interested in trying either RedWeek Verification or Full Service rentals, please let our Customer Service team know and we will see what we can do to help.

To answer a few questions that have come up:

We do not verify any reservation from Interval International or RCI. Renting units obtained through them violates the terms of both companies and we don't want to see a renter's reservation canceled because of it.

For Byloe, If you're not a US Citizen, you can make that selection when your Tax information is requested and you'll be able to bypass entering the information.

Edited to add that you can always contact us at support@redweek.com

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
. . . .

Many owners don't realize that they're the targets of scammers just as often as the renters are. We've seen many cases where an owner's personal email is hacked, and the scammer will impersonate the owner and intercept rental funds intended for the owner. We're coming into the season where we see the most of that activity. So, we had to weigh all sides of the matter and simply want every owner's week to rent, and we want everyone to be safe, owners and renters alike.
How many cases?

Redweek and its private equity owner are entitled to make business decisions -- even poor ones as indicated by @WahooWah above -- but please don't patronize me by suggesting you are doing this because it is in my interest.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
@tink10 Thank you for visiting TUG and clarifying issues you all have seen firsthand of scammers.

I am sorry about all of the negativity. I also wasn't happy with the new sort feature, but verify is inexpensive and worthy of the extra fee. Redweek is the best website for rentals, and I know it will continue to be our go-to for the many we own.

WahooWah

Reaction score
We wanted to take a moment to respond. Needless to say, we've been a little busy with Hurricane Ian and resort closures.

For those of you who are unhappy, we do absolutely understand why some owners would be upset with the new default sorting and we did expect it. Our management team has reviewed every comment and thank you all for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

Currently, we have no plans to change the the default view. Our visitors are always welcome to re-sort postings using any of the criteria from the drop down and also use the filters. We understand that this isn’t the outcome that some owners desire, but we believe that it gives priority to the postings that protect both the renter and the owner.

For those owners who have no interest in using our Online Booking, our Customer Service team can certainly cancel your posting(s) and request the refund. If you're interested in trying either RedWeek Verification or Full Service rentals, please let our Customer Service team know and we will see what we can do to help.

We do not verify any reservation from Interval International or RCI. Renting units obtained through them violates the terms of both companies and we don't want to see a renter's reservation canceled because of it.

For Byloe, If you're not a US Citizen, you can make that selection when your Tax information is requested and you'll be able to bypass entering the information.

If what you say about the scamming is true and your true intent is to keep everyone safe, then why not require all listings to be Verified & Protected with the online booking feature?

At the very least, you should make the sort feature more prominent so that users will know that there are more options they can search for. Just like the airline sites use the big tags like "Cheapest" and "Quickest" like the image below. Right now, your Sort menu is not prominently displayed enough for users to notice. :
Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 10.52.33 AM.png

Last edited:

WahooWah

Reaction score

Also, I'm curious to know if Redweek conducted any surveys or analyzed any data to show where considerations of price ranked in a customers decision vs. "Verified & Protected"?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Fantastic data, grupp, thank you! I'll disclose my bias in this fight. I'm a broker in Hawaii who deals almost exclusively with Hawaii timeshares. Off the top of my head, I could list about a dozen other brokers in Hawaii and on the mainland who use RW services all of whom are well known to most TUG users. None of them would ever use the RW online booking services. That is either a majority or a significant minority of listings on RW for Hawaii timeshare rentals and resales. All of these brokers fully verify their listings and have established trust in the marketplace. This move by RW is bad for the market as a whole. I don't believe any of you who are defending this move are fully understanding this point. How many of the defenders will fully disclose their bias?

Good to know your perspective.

As I have previously posted, my experience is limited to just renting my own weeks which I am doing this year for the first time.

Coincidentally, RW contacted me just this morning with an offer on one of my other full service listings. It turns out it’s one of the more, if not most, expensive listing for that time period at this resort so adds weight to the notion that some renters may also prefer the full service option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WahooWah

Reaction score
Good to know your perspective.

As I have previously posted, my experience is limited to just renting my own weeks which I am doing this year for the first time.

Coincidentally, RW contacted me just this morning with an offer on one of my other full service listings. It turns out it’s one of the more, if not most, expensive listing for that time period at this resort so adds weight to the notion that some renters may also prefer the full service option.

And I've successfully rented two listings in the last 24 hours with my lowly Unverified and Unprotected status.

What listing did you rent? How much more expensive was it than unverified listings for the same date?

BreakingAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines (1)
Marriott Grande Ocean (4)
I did a quick look at the number of ads that include Redweek payments at various Marriott resorts. Most resorts that I looked at had over 50% of the listings with the option to use Redweek’s payment protection, some were over 70%. It was much higher than I expected.

The exception to this are the Hawaii Resorts which are lower. Also, the South Carolina resorts where Redweek is required to collect taxes had high % of listing with the payment option. Here are few examples of number of listings that have the Redweek payment option. The overall average is 57.5% and if you look at the just the mainland resorts the average is 62% of the listing have the payment option.

Maui Ocean Club 176 of 396 44%
Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Tower 92 of 249 36%
Ocean Club - Napili Tower 55 of 107 51%
Ko Olina Beach Club 257 of 545 47%
Mountainside 142 of 201 70%
Summit Watch 102 of 164 62%
Newport Coast 273 of 469 58%
Desert Springs Villas II 139 of 218 64%
Timber Lodge 105 of 155 68%
Ocean Pointe 175 of 336 52%
Crystal Shores 378 of 482 78%
Canyon Villas 158 of 219 72%
Grande Ocean 142 of 206 68%
Grande Vista 142 of 192 74%
SurfWatch 123 of 163 75%
OceanWatch Villas 218 of 281 77%
Another issue is Redweek stating Verified and Protected keeps everyone safe implies that ads that are not Verified and Protected are not safe. Redweek is changing from a site to place ads for timeshare rentals and sales to a booking service similar to other vacation rental sites. There is nothing keeping owners who rent weeks that are not verified and protected from adding their own “service fee” and taxes to their rentals that are not Verified and Protected because the fees and taxes are not visible until the last booking step. This would allow the owner to collect the rental price, taxes and “service fee” at the time of the reservation rather than allow Redweek to hold that money for 6-12 months.

tink10

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's fantastic WahooWah! We like to hear that! :thumbup:

We didn't post here to cause an argument. We just wanted to address some of the comments and questions because we do have a lot of long-time members here on Tug. We totally understand that there are owners who just don't agree and that's okay because everyone is entitled to their opinion. We've listened, have heard you loud & clear and will continue to for as long as they're shared. But our industry has changed drastically through recent years and sites like ours have to change to keep the industry growing.

Thank you all for letting us know your thoughts! :)

WahooWah

Reaction score

We didn't post here to cause an argument. We just wanted to address some of the comments and questions because we do have a lot of long-time members here on Tug. We totally understand that there are owners who just don't agree and that's okay because everyone is entitled to their opinion. We've listened, have heard you loud & clear and will continue to for as long as they're shared. But our industry has changed drastically through recent years and sites like ours have to change to keep the industry growing.

Well, you may choose to let your superiors know that trying to move in the direction of AirBNB and VRBO, who already offer a business model that you are attempting to emulate, may not be the best strategy. You won't have a lot of success gaining on their well established market share and will likely see your V&P-type customers migrate over to them to gain access to a larger pool of renters. Meanwhile, other businesses will fill in the vacuum created by your second class treatment of DIY customers and these customers will adjust somewhere else.

Also, you might want to let them know that maybe, just maybe, the State of Hawaii Department of Taxation will likely catch up to Redweek's non-compliance with collection, registration, filing and payment of GET and TAT taxes with your online booking services. Good luck with that.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
And I've successfully rented two listings in the last 24 hours with my lowly Unverified and Unprotected status.

If this is accurate, then you really have nothing to complain about with RW’s default sort order, since it’s obviously still working for you. Seems to be a case of much ado about nothing.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Redweek is changing from a site to place ads for timeshare rentals and sales to a booking service similar to other vacation rental sites.
Yes, in recent weeks I’ve received more than one RedWeek email newsletter comparing RedWeek to Airbnb, favorably, of course. Their plan seems pretty obvious to me.

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score

As the OP on this thread, I just want to reemphasize that my purpose in starting this thread was to advise other TUG members that Redweek had made a change in listing policy that would adversely affect certain users. It is totally within Redweek's perogative to make such business decisions and we can all appreciate some of the reasons why Redweek chose to do so. However, the manner in which Redweek implemented this new policy was, in my opinion, very poorly handled. The decision was made unilaterally and without any notice to those with basic listings. At a minimum, I would have expected a courtesy notice from Redweek to those with then active basic listings that a change would be occurring in X number of days and how it would affect them. Heck, you could have even used that as a sales pitch to get those with basic listings to upgrade and you could have even offered one or more complimentary listings to entice them to upgrade their listings. I think that approach would have gone over much better and reflected much more positively on Redweek. Instead, Redweek did this in silence and without any notice to its customers.

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
None of them would ever use the RW online booking services.

Why do you believe none of them would use the online payments? Is it about who holds the money or is it something else? I only rent weeks that I own so no experience renting other peoples weeks.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The online payments is a free option when you add the verify. I keep saying this, and it makes it much less expensive than the $59 option when purchased all at once. So current ads are getting verify for $14.95 and online payment choice, no extra fees.

Since I pay 3.25% (??) to Paypal for taking credit card payments, this saves me money.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The online payments is a free option when you add the verify. I keep saying this, and it makes it much less expensive than the $59 option when purchased all at once. So current ads are getting verify for $14.95 and online payment choice, no extra fees.

Since I pay 3.25% (??) to Paypal for taking credit card payments, this saves me money.
I don't think all resorts have the option for the free payment processing. I think most vistana weeks get it but not all of my independents.

In fact in the past, I will check if this is still the case, for those resorts you can add the free payment even if it isn't verified.

I currently have one that is using the payment protection- their payment system, I didn't bother with verified because I plan on cancelling before I hit the 60 days with vistana and it is listed as not verified but if you click on it, it is listed as payment protected and it is listed with the top verified and protected vs the verified but not protected and non verified and protected at the bottom of the featured resorts.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think all resorts have the option for the free payment processing. I think most vistana weeks get it but not all of my independents.

In fact in the past, I will check if this is still the case, for those resorts you can add the free payment even if it isn't verified.

I currently have one that is using the payment protection- their payment system, I didn't bother with verified because I plan on cancelling before I hit the 60 days with vistana and it is listed as not verified but if you click on it, it is listed as payment protected and it is listed with the top verified and protected vs the verified but not protected and non verified and protected at the bottom of the featured resorts.
Mine are Disney, Shell, and WorldMark. It shows as enabled on my end, which is good for me, bad for the renter because it's going to cost them.

WahooWah

Reaction score
Why do you believe none of them would use the online payments? Is it about who holds the money or is it something else? I only rent weeks that I own so no experience renting other peoples weeks.

Brokers have their own contracts and their own process for handling payments. They don't need Redweek to have control over funds. Some also handle the State taxes, which Redweek does not and which is extremely important for Hawaii licensed brokers.

This hacking of owners email excuse is as lame as they come for imposing this advertising priority to using RW's online booking services. If Redweek wanted to get more revenue from brokers for using the verification process fine, I'm sure they would pay it. But requiring the booking services is a bridge too far. And you can bet your bottom dollar that this is just the first step to grabbing more fees for this service.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It would seem to make sense that brokers could start up their own rental listing site and create their own rules? That is the beauty of a free market.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
It would seem to make sense that brokers could start up their own rental listing site and create their own rules? That is the beauty of a free market.

There's already Dashweek.

WahooWah

Reaction score

Correct, and Redweek will be left to compete with VRBO and AirBNB.

sunski

Reaction score
Yes, in recent weeks I’ve received more than one RedWeek email newsletter comparing RedWeek to Airbnb, favorably, of course. Their plan seems pretty obvious to me.
I don't take your statement as an endorsement for Redweek, but I have noticed the same thing. Users of Airbnb don't have to pay a fee to see the listings though do they. So Redweek, how is this additional fee better for renters?