• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

new purchase...is this a good deal?

haras

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm able to purchase a 20k contract for $2000. it comes with 18,000 points from 2019 and 20,000 will deposit at the end of this month. I'd have to pay the fee to worldmark to be enrolled in their system. The sellers will pay the monthly MF until it transfers to my name. Do you think this is a good deal? I would be using it mainly to exchange with interval.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Sounds good to me. I would buy it if you trust the seller, but others will know better.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I don’t own Worldmark but I did do a lot of research a few years back as I seriously considered purchasing. I seem to remember 30 cents per point was a fair resale price and you are at 10 cents per point so I would say a great deal, if the seller can deliver.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There is no Fee to enroll in Worldmark. There is the $299 fee to Wyndham to transfer the Account into your name. You and the seller can do the transfer without a Title or Transfer Company by the both of you working with Wyndham Transfer/Title Office. The Transfer will take 3 to 6 months. With 20K Points/Credits you will get 2 HKC and 2 GC per year. You can have 2 people's names on the Account. HKC roll over just like Points/Credits. Not the same with the GC. Also the rules on using GC are very strict. Such as if you make a Reservation for a Guest and you make any changes (dates/name of Guest/etc) you lose the GC and have to use another. So the advice is to always wait until the last minute to place the Guest Name on the Reservation. You can cancel a Reservation up to 30 days before check-in and get all your Credits/Points back and any Lodging Taxes. In addition to Reservations with Credits/Points there are 3 main cash options: Bonus Time, Monday Madness, and Inventory Specials. Worldmark also has a very active Waitlist. You can have four pending Waitlist Requests. The Worldmark Reservation System opens at 6am West Coast time online and 8am for telephone. As a resell buyer you will not have access to Wyndham Club Pass or Wyndham SouthPacific.

Checkout www.wmowners.com/forum. This is by Worldmark Owners for Worldmark Owners. No fee to join. No involvement by Wyndham or Worldmark.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
If you buy it, have the seller make a reservation about 10 months out to tie up the credits that are expiring at the end of the anniversary month. You can cancel the reservation and book a new one or two with those credits after it transfers.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I'm able to purchase a 20k contract for $2000. it comes with 18,000 points from 2019 and 20,000 will deposit at the end of this month. I'd have to pay the fee to worldmark to be enrolled in their system. The sellers will pay the monthly MF until it transfers to my name. Do you think this is a good deal? I would be using it mainly to exchange with interval.

looks good. Are you sure you need a large sized account for II exchanges?

haras

TUG Member
Reaction score
looks good. Are you sure you need a large sized account for II exchanges?

this is probably my only worry is that I won’t need this
There is no Fee to enroll in Worldmark. There is the $299 fee to Wyndham to transfer the Account into your name. You and the seller can do the transfer without a Title or Transfer Company by the both of you working with Wyndham Transfer/Title Office. The Transfer will take 3 to 6 months. With 20K Points/Credits you will get 2 HKC and 2 GC per year. You can have 2 people's names on the Account. HKC roll over just like Points/Credits. Not the same with the GC. Also the rules on using GC are very strict. Such as if you make a Reservation for a Guest and you make any changes (dates/name of Guest/etc) you lose the GC and have to use another. So the advice is to always wait until the last minute to place the Guest Name on the Reservation. You can cancel a Reservation up to 30 days before check-in and get all your Credits/Points back and any Lodging Taxes. In addition to Reservations with Credits/Points there are 3 main cash options: Bonus Time, Monday Madness, and Inventory Specials. Worldmark also has a very active Waitlist. You can have four pending Waitlist Requests. The Worldmark Reservation System opens at 6am West Coast time online and 8am for telephone. As a resell buyer you will not have access to Wyndham Club Pass or Wyndham SouthPacific.

Checkout www.wmowners.com/forum. This is by Worldmark Owners for Worldmark Owners. No fee to join. No involvement by Wyndham or Worldmark.

With 20K Points/Credits you will get 2 HKC and 2 GC per year.

can you explain to me what HKC an GC are.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Couple of things for you to think about.

How many exchanges do you plan to do? Can you do them < 60 days before check-in. Since you never know how things go with exchanges, it may not be worthwhile to commit to a big account. A 10k account for example can rent in 20k credits. 30k credits can give you 3 exchanges in 2 BR (outside of 60 days). If within 60 days then you only need 4k credits. Rent in credits only when an exchange comes through so your liability is minimized.

If you get the 20k account, you can also rent out excess credits if you don't find an exchange. I think the risk is low.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
can you explain to me what HKC an GC are.
Like @RX8 I don't own Worldmark, but I'm fairly certain they are HouseKeeping Credits and Guest Certificates (tokens). Each stay requires X credits/tokens. You either use your tokens/credits or pay $$.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I would call it a very good deal. If you can afford the fees and would use it.

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

How many exchanges do you plan to do? Can you do them < 60 days before check-in. Since you never know how things go with exchanges, it may not be worthwhile to commit to a big account. A 10k account for example can rent in 20k credits. 30k credits can give you 3 exchanges in 2 BR (outside of 60 days). If within 60 days then you only need 4k credits. Rent in credits only when an exchange comes through so your liability is minimized.

If you get the 20k account, you can also rent out excess credits if you don't find an exchange. I think the risk is low.
You’re probably right, but I’ve never rented or rented out credits, so something to consider. Exchanges at full price can use credits up pretty quickly, so does one really need 2 full > 60 days out exchanges or can do 5 flexchanges ( less than 60 days before arrival). alternatively, does one live near a lot of worldmarks, like west coast, for some bonus time, if lucky/persistent, and/or would utilize stays in worldmarks. Can one only go to worldmark s on weekends? If so, almost as much as a flexchange vs. 4 weekdays (Mon-Thurs) which are so much less expensive. And those city worldmarks (Portland, Seattle, San Francisco) credit costs are very expensive. we like our larger account and book weekends on the Oregon coast, although more credit costs than weekdays and uses up more housekeeping tokens if you don’t have a NHK account.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
But yes, 0.10/credit is great deal if it’s legit. We purchased our credits at what I thought was a great price $0.80/credit a long time ago, well below developer price in $2-$3 credit range. It’s been a long time, but we paid a slight premium to get a NHK and with our many weekend trips we’ve done, sometimes 8-12 reservations in a year, it has really helped save on HK fees. This year with 11 II trades and maybe 5-6 worldmark stays, our NHK account will have saved us probably around $500-$1,000. Also keep in mind you can borrow up to a year’s worth of credits so at some point a 20,000 point account could have access to up to 60,000 credits. That’s a lot of credits. Would a smaller account still meet your needs and would you on average really use 20,000 credits each and every year? But I know how a great price can be tempting! I window shop all the time on interval international.

haras

TUG Member
Reaction score

I decided to proceed and open escrow. I sold two timeshares this year that I didn’t love so I can afford the MF. I’m located in Southern California and can do less than 59 day check ins so I think I’ll be able to take advantage of interval exchanges.

haras

TUG Member
Reaction score
But yes, 0.10/credit is great deal if it’s legit. We purchased our credits at what I thought was a great price $0.80/credit a long time ago, well below developer price in $2-$3 credit range. It’s been a long time, but we paid a slight premium to get a NHK and with our many weekend trips we’ve done, sometimes 8-12 reservations in a year, it has really helped save on HK fees. This year with 11 II trades and maybe 5-6 worldmark stays, our NHK account will have saved us probably around $500-$1,000. Also keep in mind you can borrow up to a year’s worth of credits so at some point a 20,000 point account could have access to up to 60,000 credits. That’s a lot of credits. Would a smaller account still meet your needs and would you on average really use 20,000 credits each and every year? But I know how a great price can be tempting! I window shop all the time on interval international.

this account comes with two hk per year. If you use them all, how much do you have to pay for housekeeping? If you exchange with interval do you have to have hk credits ?

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
this account comes with two hk per year. If you use them all, how much do you have to pay for housekeeping? If you exchange with interval do you have to have hk credits ?
Housekeeping effective 1/1/2020:

$74 studio
$98 1 br
$112 2 br
$123 2 br
$163 4 br

I believe you need 1 housekeeping for every exchange at II, but don’t quote me since we have a NHK account and it was never a consideration. But an extra 10 housekeepings would be $1,120 if they were all 2 bedrooms. We knew we might have multiple reservations above and beyond our HK tokens and didn’t want to hesitate to make weekend reservations.

haamos

TUG Member
Reaction score
So in this case an NHK account would cost an additional $.70 or $14,000 vs paying HK fee would be 12+ years to breakeven ?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Close - but your ROI horizon would likely be longer and dependent on how many HK tokens you saved per year. And with 20k in credits, unless you were doing single night stays the majority of the time, you would burn thru your credits before you would get to 10 free HK tokens.

At $500 in HK token savings per year - and without doing some complex calculations involving opportunity expense, tax rates, inflation, etc. - I would say the ROI is closer to 20+ years.

The premium for NHK has floated between $10-15k in recent years.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
So in this case an NHK account would cost an additional $.70 or $14,000 vs paying HK fee would be 12+ years to breakeven ?

The premium for a NHK account is a flat rate vs a per credit price.
Eric has been on a rather irrational crusade against NHK accounts for many years. His 'advise' on this needs to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.
In reality, the break even point will vary based on how YOU end up using the account. My break even point turned out to be about half the time I estimated because it changes how you use your account. Before, I didn't bother to even consider one night stays due to the cost of HK. Now, I look for those 1-2 night options for a quick getaway or to bridge between 2 exchanges vs motels etc. With the increase in the costs for the cash options like bonus time or Monday madness which include housekeeping but especially the increase in the minimum fee per night, booking with credits has become cheaper, regardless of type of account. The NHK makes it even better.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Question: If a person has a Traditionl NHK Account with 60K Points/Credits does Wyndhm deposit 6 HKC in your Account on your Anniversary Date?

I do not think Eric's position concerning Traditional NHK Accounts is irrational. I highly question the exhorbitant value people place on NHK Accounts. Part of it how a person uses an Account. We can not take off for a couple days on a whim. We have 3 pets and our pet sitter (during normal times) is hard to Book because she is in high demand.

But we have argue this point ad nauseam on wmowners.com.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
The premium for a NHK account is a flat rate vs a per credit price.
Eric has been on a rather irrational crusade against NHK accounts for many years. His 'advise' on this needs to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.
In reality, the break even point will vary based on how YOU end up using the account. My break even point turned out to be about half the time I estimated because it changes how you use your account. Before, I didn't bother to even consider one night stays due to the cost of HK. Now, I look for those 1-2 night options for a quick getaway or to bridge between 2 exchanges vs motels etc. With the increase in the costs for the cash options like bonus time or Monday madness which include housekeeping but especially the increase in the minimum fee per night, booking with credits has become cheaper, regardless of type of account. The NHK makes it even better.

Well Sue..... since you seem to want to fan the flames..... I jump back on my soapbox and deliver the "dark-side" of NHK, and why I personally - though I would love to be exempt from NHK fees - will not be buying one.

What many of those who own one do not want you to know about NHK's is that they were illegally created by the developer controlled BoD in the early days of the Club. Because in WMtC there is only one class of members - and we are all members of the same Club, pay dues on the same relative basis, and under CA corporate law - are supposed to receive the same benefits. Which we do - except for the 2000+ accounts that are exempt from HK charges simply based on a check box on their account.

And who do you think bears the cost of Sue's free HK tokens? The rest of the members. Not the developer - who illegally created them - but the rest of the membership.

The irony is this scenario is that many of the very people who complain endlessly about the unilateral abuses of the developer - have no problem taking advantage of the illegal actions of the developer when it benefits them. And at some point, the cost of those "free" tokens will continue to rise, and something will have to be done to protect the Club - which will result in the elimination of NHK or at a minimum to limit the transfer of NHK's and to only allow free HK tokens for the number of credits that the account originally was sold with.

That is what Sue is really concerned about. And thanks for the invite to explain the "rest of the story".

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Well Eric is wrong on one very important point. The Developer (years before Wyndham and back to the original creation of Worldmark) did not create a "Special Class" of no NHK Accounts vice all the regular Accounts. Originally all Accounts were NHK. The Developer/BOD discovered this was not sustainable financially. MF's could not pay for everything. So they decreed that all Accounts purchased after "X" date would have House Keeping Fees after they used all their House Keeping Tokens. So actually the illegal class is the regular accounts.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I have been watching loaded WM accounts being offered for sale for very little on facebook buy and sell WM groups and ebay. The covid sale is what I call it. Many people want out for one reason or another.

Bill