• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New person seeking advice - Vistana / Westin Kierland Villas

dschumac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi - my wife and I are new to timeshares and are looking for advice from more experienced folks. We travel regularly to Scottsdale for vacations - they are typically 3-4 day trips and are most frequent in May to September time frames. We have stayed at the Westin Kierland and absolutely loved it and hence started looking at the Villas as a potential time share option. We are now evaluating two options:

1) Buy a Gold Plus, 2 bedroom with 81,000 points and use that for 3 or 4 trips each year but booking a single bedroom unit - again typically May to September. We found a broker online who suggested starting with an offer of $1,750 for the timeshare (annual maintenance is also around $1,750 and another $1,000 or so for closing costs)

2) A few people here have helped me see an alternative where we just try to acquire the lowest 37,500 flex options and then look at booking rental options through the Vistana platform for our additional trips. Likely only $600 or so of annual maintenance and then finding rentals for our additional trips out.

We have typically spent $1,200 or so on lodging for each trip and make 3 to 4 trips per summer to Scottsdale so both options seem very beneficial financially. We really aren't looking at this as an investment or rental opportunity - just a plan to stay at a resort we love with great amenities, restaurants, etc. We don't plan on using the points for other resorts as a priority - really like the Kierland and just want to keep coming back. We don't see this as an investment either - at some point we are buying a house in Scottsdale and the timeshare would be used for our kids to visit. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Seems like a well thought out plan to me, especially as there shouldn't be an issue with late availability for May through September. I think you'll have to factor in housekeeping charges on some of the visits although I'm not 100% sure how they work.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hi - my wife and I are new to timeshares and are looking for advice from more experienced folks. We travel regularly to Scottsdale for vacations - they are typically 3-4 day trips and are most frequent in May to September time frames. We have stayed at the Westin Kierland and absolutely loved it and hence started looking at the Villas as a potential time share option. We are now evaluating two options:

1) Buy a Gold Plus, 2 bedroom with 81,000 points and use that for 3 or 4 trips each year but booking a single bedroom unit - again typically May to September. We found a broker online who suggested starting with an offer of $1,750 for the timeshare (annual maintenance is also around $1,750 and another $1,000 or so for closing costs)

2) A few people here have helped me see an alternative where we just try to acquire the lowest 37,500 flex options and then look at booking rental options through the Vistana platform for our additional trips. Likely only $600 or so of annual maintenance and then finding rentals for our additional trips out.

We have typically spent $1,200 or so on lodging for each trip and make 3 to 4 trips per summer to Scottsdale so both options seem very beneficial financially. We really aren't looking at this as an investment or rental opportunity - just a plan to stay at a resort we love with great amenities, restaurants, etc. We don't plan on using the points for other resorts as a priority - really like the Kierland and just want to keep coming back. We don't see this as an investment either - at some point we are buying a house in Scottsdale and the timeshare would be used for our kids to visit. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice.
I’d look for a less expensive unit with much lower closing costs. LT Transfers charges 300 bucks

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Redweek.com if you haven't yet checked there for Kierland resales....I see this one right now - you can also make an offer to find out if the seller is negotiable:
$1,000 (Maint. Fee: $1,830.00)
2 bedroom Lock Off. Worth 81,000 StarOptions.
Gold season Week#22-27 & 36-49.
Buyer to pay $500 in closing costs

sharr7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 12-8 month home resort priority window only applies to full-week reservations. So if you want to make a few 3-4 day reservations, you're waiting until 8 months like everyone else, which means 81,000 SO resale from any mandatory resort would be just as useful. If you wanted to seek something lower cost/lower MF, just putting it out there.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 12-8 month home resort priority window only applies to full-week reservations. So if you want to make a few 3-4 day reservations, you're waiting until 8 months like everyone else, which means 81,000 SO resale from any mandatory resort would be just as useful. If you wanted to seek something lower cost/lower MF, just putting it out there.
That’s a great point..... considering WKV summer dates are generally available from my limited knowledge, possibly owning another resort would be a better option.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
@dschumac see the below post. For what you’re trying to do, owning gold season at WKV isn’t ideal.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Definitely research how you can best make your summer reservations, and for partial weeks. May to Sept is low season. I own in AZ (Not Kierland) and it is super easy for me to get bonus time and last minute reservations, or it has been, especially in summer months. Mid week is super easy for me.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I own Platinum season at Kierland and love it. We've been going for 15 years, and it's a special place.

Since you like to go in the summer off-season, you can do it for very cheaply. Summer never books up there, and you can always make a reservation with short notice. Buy the smallest/cheapest mandatory Vistana property you can get. Maybe a 1BR Gold Kierland or 1BR Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella or Key West). Then use the points to book within the 8 month window.

The big benefit for you will be that a mandatory Vistana unit includes an Interval International membership. II is a travel exchange company that has tons of bargain travel deals. It routinely has summer "Getaway" deals at Westin Kierland and other Scottsdale properties (because it's off-season). I looked now, and you can rent a July or August week in a 1BR at Westin Kierland for $397. That's not a typo. You can also get summer Palm Springs weeks at this price.

Resort Details & Photos
Westin Kierland Villas
Scottsdale , AZ , USA
WKV
icon_elite_small.png

Overall Rating

Rating 4.5 out of 5180 Member Ratings
from
$49.57
Platinum Avg. Night

Interval
Gold
Platinum
Jul 25 2021 - Aug 01 2021
icon_unit.gif

icon_limited_kitchen.gif

$397.00​
$372.00​
$347.00​
Jul 30 2021 - Aug 06 2021
icon_unit.gif

icon_limited_kitchen.gif

$397.00​
$372.00​
$347.00​

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

The only way someone can make a 12-8 month home resort priority reservation for a period that is not a full week would be through one of the Flex programs.

dschumac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback and idea!

dschumac

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Platinum season at Kierland and love it. We've been going for 15 years, and it's a special place.

Since you like to go in the summer off-season, you can do it for very cheaply. Summer never books up there, and you can always make a reservation with short notice. Buy the smallest/cheapest mandatory Vistana property you can get. Maybe a 1BR Gold Kierland or 1BR Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella or Key West). Then use the points to book within the 8 month window.

The big benefit for you will be that a mandatory Vistana unit includes an Interval International membership. II is a travel exchange company that has tons of bargain travel deals. It routinely has summer "Getaway" deals at Westin Kierland and other Scottsdale properties (because it's off-season). I looked now, and you can rent a July or August week in a 1BR at Westin Kierland for $397. That's not a typo. You can also get summer Palm Springs weeks at this price.

Resort Details & Photos
Westin Kierland Villas
Scottsdale , AZ , USA
WKV
icon_elite_small.png

Overall Rating

Rating 4.5 out of 5180 Member Ratings
from
$49.57
Platinum Avg. Night

Interval
Gold
Platinum
Jul 25 2021 - Aug 01 2021
icon_unit.gif

icon_limited_kitchen.gif

$397.00​
$372.00​
$347.00​
Jul 30 2021 - Aug 06 2021
icon_unit.gif

icon_limited_kitchen.gif

$397.00​
$372.00​
$347.00​
Wow thanks so much for the advice. That is an amazing rate for a week at the Kierland. That’s less than the cost of one night from my experience at the main Kierland hotel!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Wow thanks so much for the advice. That is an amazing rate for a week at the Kierland. That’s less than the cost of one night from my experience at the main Kierland hotel!
I’d recommend a vistana villages (key west/Bella phase) 2 bedroom (non-LO) worth 81K star options. You’ll save a few hundred on the maint fee that the WKV gold plus lockout for the same 81K SO.

Erinaadyn

Reaction score
I’d recommend a vistana villages (key west/Bella phase) 2 bedroom (non-LO) worth 81K star options. You’ll save a few hundred on the maint fee that the WKV gold plus lockout for the same 81K SO.

Curious why you suggest 2br vs 2 br lock off?

Erinaadyn

Reaction score

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
What @sharr7 said.

If you actually planned to use the Vistana Villages unit, a lockoff might be more desirable. But if you're only buying it for the SO to use elsewhere, the non-lockoff has lower MFs for the same SO.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
When looking for a SVV resale, just looking at star option amount can throw you off. I’ve spoken to people who thought they were getting the right kind of 2 bedroom because it had 81K star options. I nearly bought one. The Bella platinum weeks don’t match the star options chart. I was about to sign a contract for a lockout in the Bella phase worth 81k SO. Luckily I was told by people here that what I was looking at was actually a gold plus lockout and not a platinum standard 2 bedroom. Brokers are confused as to what they are selling or misleading in general. I’m glad I caught it early.

2 bedroom standard platinum = 81K star options
2 bedroom lockout gold plus = 81K Star Options

the lockout maint fee is 300-400 more than the 2 bedroom standard. So it’s always best to look for a 2 bedroom standard worth 81K star options.

if one wanted a lockout at SVV and it’s a platinum week they will get 95,700 star options. Some like lockouts so they can deposit the smaller side in interval and still have star options left for a VSN booking. The MF/SO ratio is higher for the lockout so you’re spending more per star option.

Last edited:

mdditt2000

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
The only way someone can make a 12-8 month home resort priority reservation for a period that is not a full week would be through one of the Flex programs.

Correct. Nobody told me this when I purchased at Kierland. It’s kind of a problem. However I have been lucky booking Kierland at 8 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdditt2000

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
When looking for a SVV resale, just looking at star option amount can throw you off. I’ve spoken to people who thought they were getting the right kind of 2 bedroom because it had 81K star options. I nearly bought one. The Bella platinum weeks don’t match the star options chart. I was about to sign a contract for a lockout in the Bella phase worth 81k SO. Luckily I was told by people here that what I was looking at was actually a gold plus lockout and not a platinum standard 2 bedroom. Brokers are confused as to what they are selling or misleading in general. I’m glad I caught it early.

2 bedroom standard platinum = 81K star options
2 bedroom lockout gold plus = 81K Star Options

the lockout maint fee is 300-400 more than the 2 bedroom standard. So it’s always best to look for a 2 bedroom standard worth 81K star options.

if one wanted a lockout at SVV and it’s a platinum week they will get 95,700 star options. Some like lockouts so they can deposit the smaller side in interval and still have star options left for a VSN booking. The MF/SO ratio is higher for the lockout so you’re spending more per star option.

I think a 2 bedroom plat is 144k at Kierland. Am I wrong?

mdditt2000

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
Redweek.com if you haven't yet checked there for Kierland resales....I see this one right now - you can also make an offer to find out if the seller is negotiable:
$1,000 (Maint. Fee: $1,830.00)
2 bedroom Lock Off. Worth 81,000 StarOptions.
Gold season Week#22-27 & 36-49.
Buyer to pay $500 in closing costs

This is a reasonable deal. It’s hot but I like Kierland in June

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
This is a reasonable deal. It’s hot but I like Kierland in June

You can book kierland in June without that ownership. I’d stay away from non platinum weeks in most vistana resorts unless you only want to go to that resort at that time. I wouldn’t recommend owning Arizona in the summer.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV