• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Owner

Deb N Steve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just signed our docs yesterday (5-28) for Shadow Ridge Enclaves. So glad I have found this site, as we are new to TS. We need to learn the ropes and by what I have seen so far, this is the best place to find out. Thanks for having this site!!

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why Shadow Ridge?

Out of curiosity, Why Shadow Ridge?

Don't get me wrong - I own there and Canyon Villas - but I live in MN - so warm days are a novelty to me.

I always assumed people who live in Arizona bought time shares in Canada :)

Deb N Steve

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like the desert and the heat :), plus it is only a 4 hour drive from home. We just really liked the property. We have been to quite a few Marriott TS presentations and out all of them, we liked this property the best. We both grew up in Ohio and lived there until 5 years ago, guess we are still thawing out or bones :)

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG and congratulations on your purchase! It's nice to know a fellow Enclaves owner. :)

Cheers!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG!

Take a look at the FAQs located at the top of the list of topics for this Marriott forum. You'll find a wealth of info that will help you to learn more about your ownership.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Congrats.

If you bought from Marriott direct you should realize that you can buy shadow ridge resale platinum for $10,000 but of course you do not get to turn in the unit for Marriott reward points.

If yoiu change your mind you can rescind within xx days per the contract.

If you are happy with the purchase than enjoy.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Welcome to Tug!

Besides all the info. in the stickies at the top of this forum, if you join the site you will have access to all the resort reviews, which are a great way to learn about the different properties that you may want to exchange into.

Just to add to what Jack posted- since you are new to the site, I just wanted to advise you to make sure you have read enough to understand the differences between buying direct and buying resale; since you stated that you've been on many presentations I assume this was a thought out purchase and was what you considered best for you and your family. Assuming that, congrats and look forward to many years of great vacations!!

:wave:

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you bought from Marriott direct you should realize that you can buy shadow ridge resale platinum for $10,000 but of course you do not get to turn in the unit for Marriott reward points.

Is that price for the Villages or for the Enclaves? I haven't seen any Enclaves re-sales listed in my searches. There are some differences in the lay outs. Just curious.

Cheers!

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
welcome to TUG - cannot find a warmer place to hang for Marriott info.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Congrats.

If yoiu change your mind you can rescind within xx days per the contract.

If you are happy with the purchase than enjoy.

Deb N Steve,

I do not mean this to be as harsh as it sounds, but you might have taken the steps in the wrong order. I hope I am wrong.

It sounds like you have bought, and now are researching timeshares. Which lead you to TUG.

Ideally you would have found us first. As capjak mentions above, you might be able to save considerable money by buying resale. Hopefully you have researched the option of buying resale and have decided against it. Or are buying resale.

If you have not evaluated the resale option, then you might take the suggestion given and rescind your purchase. Rescinding does not mean you will not ever buy the timeshare. It means you are protecting your right to spend more time researching the issue. The only way to get the proper amount of time to do so is by rescinding the purchase.

After you research the issue, you very well could make the exact same purchase decision.

Sorry if this sounds very forward. But we do get a lot of people who find us after they have bought, and then kick themselves for not buying resale. Some don't, but more do.

I only hope you are making an fully informed purchase decision. If you have, then welcome to the Marriott family. It is a great timeshare program and I know you will enjoy your purchase.

Last edited:

Deb N Steve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the welcome....
Yes, we did it backwards, we purchased and found this site.
I am not sure if there are any Enclave resales, but I will look!! We still have a few days to recind if we find a resale.

Thanks for your advice....

Bill4728

Reaction score
If you can still rescind, then IMHO, you should rescind!!

You owe it to yourself to check out resales before committing to pay the full developer price. This doesn't mean that after looking around you still can't go back to Marriott and get the same (or better) deal. But once the rescission period passes you're stuck.

RESCIND while you can!!

PS we just closed on a $7500 purchase of NCV in SoCal. That is about $20,000 less than Marriott wants for the exact same week. There isn't anything Marriott could offer me that would be worth $20K !

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Thank you all for the welcome....
Yes, we did it backwards, we purchased and found this site.
I am not sure if there are any Enclave resales, but I will look!! We still have a few days to recind if we find a resale.

Thanks for your advice....

And what if you find an Enclave resale the day after the rescind period ends?

I am not at all saying that you should not buy this unit from the Marriott. I am saying you need more time to research it. Despite what the salesperson has told you, there is no rush to make this purchase. Once that deadline has passed, you have no option but to enjoy your purchase.

By rescinding you are not welching on the deal. Your are exercising your right to research it more. The only way to get that time is to rescind.

Last edited:

Deb N Steve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well you all got us thinking. I think hubby is going to call Monday to recind.
In the mean time, I am searching.

I am somewhat leary of purchasing a TS from Ebay, etc. I have been looking at ebay and the starting prices for some are $1.00? Don't want to get taken for a ride. Also, my neighbor told me a story of a broker that ripped them off.

Any suggestions????? Thank you in advance. :)

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Well you all got us thinking. I think hubby is going to call Monday to recind.
In the mean time, I am searching.

I am somewhat leary of purchasing a TS from Ebay, etc. I have been looking at ebay and the starting prices for some are $1.00? Don't want to get taken for a ride. Also, my neighbor told me a story of a broker that ripped them off.

Any suggestions????? Thank you in advance. :)

If you are going to rescind (and you almost certainly should), you must do so in writing. There are specific instructions in the documents you received (or at least should have received). Follow those instructions to the letter. If the notice is to be mailed, do not send via FedEx, etc. And most important, a telephone call is completely inadequate. Let us know if you have the instructions on how to rescind.

As to what to do then (eBay, etc.), take your time. Research. No hurry.

Deb N Steve

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know why I said he will call..... I know better than that. :zzz: dumb me. Guess it is too late in the evening and my brain is not working. I do have copies of the docs and will get then out and read on the recinding process.

Thanks again!

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will find a wealth of knowledge and many opinions here on TUG. Take a deep breath, relax, and make a decision you are comfortable with. If you choose to rescind, make sure you follow the guidelines in your contract.

Cheers!

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on finding TUG and welcome!

Though it may seem like there's only one way to buy (resale) from the comments you have received, that's not true! We have bought all of our timeshares directly from Marriott even after researching on TUG for about a year. We wouldn't do it any other way. Many tuggers have bought from Marriott and are very happy.

Like others have said, make sure you have researched the pros and cons. The pros of buying from Marriott are not only getting points. It depends on the deal you got, how many incentive points you received with the deal and protection from any future changes. This may cost some more but the cost difference is usually made up with the vacation you can get with the incentive points.

As long as you have researched your options, don't let other peoples values and spending habits influence or cloud your decision. Good luck and welcome to the Marriott family. I own at Shadow Ridge too.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We bought our NCV from a highly respected broker at transaction reality. We likely didn't get the very best price but still saved over $20K. Had I bought on ebay, I may have saved an extra $1000. BUT because I used an well known broker, my sale and closing went along quickly and I was completely closed within 60 days.

So if your worried about ebay, just know that are other options.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Deb and Steve,

We love Shadow Ridge too and that's why we bought there! But we bought from Marriott 3 years before I discovered TUG. I wish I had known about TUG before we bought our first t/s. Mind you, we love our week and have many, many wonderful vacations, but.... the same week that we paid $11,000 for from Marriott recently sold for $500 and passed ROFR. So, you see, we could have saved thousands had we known about resales!

Fortunately, you have found TUG before it's too late. I hope you rescind then stick around here for a few months and discover exactly what is right for you and then can find a good price on a resale.

Best of luck!

Janna

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Deb N Steve,

Your making the right decision. This is a big purchase and need time to evaluate the decision properly. All you are doing to stopping that ticking clock, and taking the time to do the research you need to.

Assuming you bought in AZ, you have 7 calendar days to rescind and the notice must be in writing. In the space right before your signature, you should see these rights outlined. AZ statute does not require a specific form, but with Marriott you are likely have one in your packet. Look for something titled "Notice of Cancellation" or "Notice of Intent To Cancel".

Always send a copy by certified mail. I usually suggest multiple copies are delivered (i.e. fax, snail mail, certified mail).

As NWL suggests, now that the ticking timebomb is stopped, step back, and take a deep breath. Then ask a bunch of questions. We love to help people make the right decision.

And as LaTraveler suggests, you may find that buying from Marriott is your best choice.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
One more thing- those 7 days (if it is 7) are calendar- not business- days. So before you wait until Monday, make sure today isn't the last day. If it is, try to find a post office that is open today for postmarking (I know there are some in many communities nationwide). If not, at least fax a letter today and follow-up tomorrow with a certified letter acknowledging your fax.

As I am sure you've already surmised, there are some very different opinions here about whether you should buy directly or resale. You can easily access those threads by doing a forum search. A month or so ago there was a rather vehement and lengthy thread, and it would be good for you to take the time to read through it to make the right decision for YOU.

The bottom line is ...well, what usually is the bottom line: $$'s. You save money- a lot- by buying resale. You give up the up front incentive points and the ability to trade your unit for points; everything else is the same. Different people have their own ways of evaluating the value of those incentive points (largely, it depends on how much value you place on getting business class flights and whether you want to evaluate hotels at rack room rates or whether you travel overseas and either do it a bit more modestly or find great hotel rates elsewhere). The same methods of evaluation apply for whether or not trading for points makes financial sense. But let's not repeat the earlier threads here. I will just add, in the sense of fairness, that those who advocate buying direct feel that they get more than their money's worth from the points while others feel that they can buy points from Marriott if they want them without any financial outlay.

An issue here may be whether Enclave resales are available and, if not, is owning an Enclaves unit worth $20,000 more to you than a regular Shadow Ridge resort unit?

The bottom line is that you have not given yourselves the time to really understand things and evaluate what is right for you. As Eric said, the opportunity to buy will be there tomorrow (or next week/next month) but you only have a limited opportunity to rescind. You may very well turn around next week and agree with Heidi that buying direct is the best way to go for you. But, I'd hate for you to read more on this Board over the next few weeks and then kick yourself. While I was initially almost going to buy direct, the more I read the more I realized that would be a mistake and I would have regretted it; the same may or may not apply to you. You may really love the Enclaves and be willing- and able- to afford the price difference. On the other hand, money may be dearer to you and the 20K may be worth a little work and possibly even buying in the original section. That's a personal choice. But it is nice to understand the options.

Whatever you decide, good luck- and welcome to Tug!!

bythesea

TUG Member
Reaction score
loved my recent resale purchase

I just bought Marriott Beach Place Towers in Lauderdale for $3,000. resale on ebay (Selling Time Guys) about 3+ weeks ago. It is a 2 bdrm lockoff, so plan on splitting it and getting two weeks vacation per year (it is a gold floating week). The same would have cost in the 20k range from Marriott direct. No amount of Marriott points would have convinced me to spend $20k more. Also, Marriott passed on ROFR this past Thurs., deed has already been sent to county for recording. Prices so low now with resale and Marriott's track record for not exercising ROFR due to the economy and availability of inventory (not considering HI, etc.), I am considering another resale. I have gained a TON of great info on this site! Thanks, everyone!

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
RESCIND! Read and learn. Then you can buy whatever you want - whether it's Marriott or Hilton or Hyatt - there are numerous timeshares - be sure you bought what is right for you. Do you know the difference between a point system and a week system? These are important! Do you know the maintenance fees?

I'd suggest calling Seth Nock - very reputable resale broker here on TUG - and talk to him. He's a wealth of knowledge.

but first - RESCIND. Do it correctly! If you decide you bought exactly what you want, you can find it cheaper. You will not get the points - they are NOT worth the difference in the resale price. And if after you research like crazy and happen to disagree with us- Marriott will happily sell it to you in a few months.