• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New owner question Grandview Las Vegas

daggr63

Reaction score
We just bought a 1 br week 32 at the Grandview (obviously we realize now we paid too much but c'est la vie). I am a bit confused after doing some research, it appears the Grandview is on a points system but the paperwork we have from the sale indicates we are on a weeks system when we finally get registered with RCI. I know the directory for RCI shows Grandview as points so it is confusing. Anyone out there know anything about this? Also if someone has access to RCI can you look and tell me the TPU for week 32 at the Grandview?
Thanks, wish I had found Tug earlier and saved some cash but will try to make lemonade out of the deal now.

Smokatoke

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just bought a 1 br week 32 at the Grandview (obviously we realize now we paid too much but c'est la vie). I am a bit confused after doing some research, it appears the Grandview is on a points system but the paperwork we have from the sale indicates we are on a weeks system when we finally get registered with RCI. I know the directory for RCI shows Grandview as points so it is confusing. Anyone out there know anything about this? Also if someone has access to RCI can you look and tell me the TPU for week 32 at the Grandview?
Thanks, wish I had found Tug earlier and saved some cash but will try to make lemonade out of the deal now.

Grandview is on the RCI points system, but that does not replace the RCI weeks system they are on as well. They will try to make you pay $3-5K to "upgrade" to points if you are on the weeks system the first time you visit the property. Its a pretty standard comment on here that its a waste of money to upgrade to points when you can easily buy another GV property on ebay already on the points system for $1-1000 depending on the week.

I purchased mine on Ebay and it already on the points system but am still waiting for access to RCI... Several TUG users have expressed being on the point system and then reverting their property back to the Weeks system because they found little benefit in RCI Points. So you may be fortunate in a way to be on the weeks system since there is no additional membership fee like there is for points.

How long ago did you buy at GV? Are you outside the rescission time period?

daggr63

Reaction score
yes we are outside the window but we will make the best of the situation. We plan on making the best out of the situation and hopefully we can utilize RCI to make some exchanges (as well as return to vegas since we love it out there). Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Smokatoke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grandview is a great resort, gold crown rated with low yearly dues. We love it there as we have used units owned by family which lead us to purchase there. Keep up that positive attitude because in the end you chose a good resort and by leveraging TUG you can come up on some nice exchanges.

Good luck!

chwclark

TUG Member
Reaction score
in the same boat

We are pretty much in the same boat... bought from the developer at Grandview and paid WAY too much. Been reading and asking tons of questions on TUG and I'm discovering some things I never knew. So stick around. People here are really friendly and resourceful. They've answered every question I asked, even the straightforward borderline dumb ones :D

Justthefacts

Reaction score
Points points points

I assume that people who revert back to weeks don't know how to use their timeshare. Points are wonderful. Grand view is a great property . I go there frequently and have had a spectacular experience every time. Even if you stay weeks you said you love Vegas and its nice to have peace and quiet right next to all the action and noise.

I know I will get beat up for this verbally but I still think resales are a bad idea. Your perpetuating a practice which has ruined YOUR ownership and rendered resales useless . It's a matter of time before the resorts catch up and buy them back. Til then ... Enjoy... But the time will come.

( proud I paid full price )

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I assume that people who revert back to weeks don't know how to use their timeshare. Points are wonderful. Grand view is a great property . I go there frequently and have had a spectacular experience every time. Even if you stay weeks you said you love Vegas and its nice to have peace and quiet right next to all the action and noise.

I know I will get beat up for this verbally but I still think resales are a bad idea. Your perpetuating a practice which has ruined YOUR ownership and rendered resales useless . It's a matter of time before the resorts catch up and buy them back. Til then ... Enjoy... But the time will come.

The OP indicated that s/he paid too much which makes me think s/he bought retail. I think overpaying by several thousands is what ruins it for most people and lies and misrepresentations told by the sales people. And by the way 90-95% of RCI points transfer upon resale. If an owner voluntarily takes it out of points it may revert but that is on the owner not the fact that it is a resale. There are also ownerships that are more valuable as a RCI week than in RCI points. Grandview is not one of them but I have a few weeks ownerships that I can get quite a few more weeks at the Grandview from one week than you can get their with RCI points.

It is good that there are those who like to overpay by $10,000-$20,000 or more and weren't tricked into it by deceit. That is what keeps developers building more resorts that resale owners can go to much cheaper.

Thanks.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think you are a shill. A timeshare is worth what people are willing to pay for it when they know ALL the facts. A well informed consumer will NEVER buy a TS from the developer.

You have made several posts in your 1 day here that indicate you are no newbie, and continue to spout the 'retail' line. What you espouse (that developers will buy them back) is frankly what we hope for to even the playing field. You said in another thread that people should buy retail, becuse 'almost all TS resorts' are doing away with perks or de-valuing the ownership of resale buyers. I have only heard of Wastegate doing that, and their product is of dubious value anyway. What happens when an outfit does that is to make the TS unsellable, and therefore worthless to buyers. They are stuck with it. Can't transfer ownership to family or friends, yes, or potential buyers.

So go back under your rock- or salesroom- and prey on the unsuspecting, because we are on to the lying tricks.

Jim

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
eBay All The Way. Resale All The Way.

I still think resales are a bad idea.
The only difference between my resale timeshares & other people's full-freight timeshares at the same resorts is our respective costs of acquisition -- thousands of dollars (full freight) on the 1 hand, $500 or less (resale) on the other hand.

Other than that, there is no difference. Same maintenance fees. Same reservation & exchange & occupancy privileges. Same everything.

With that knowledge, I would not enjoy timesharing if I had to pay full freight.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

jjhall5150

Reaction score
daggr I'm in the same boat as you. I purchase a unit from the Grandview in 2011 after someone in our family let me use RCI for our travel to Las Vegas. Loved the property and ended up purchasing a unit for $5000 (which turned out to be a tri-annual).

I never knew that you could rent them privately or even purchase them at resell. I'm not even sure how that works.

Lesson learned, but it's nice to know I have a piece of property at a nice resort in Vegas that I will use.

We all learn together

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
eBay All The Way. Resale All The Way.

I never knew that you could rent them privately or even purchase them at resell. I'm not even sure how that works.
Click here for some current examples.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
daggr I'm in the same boat as you. I purchase a unit from the Grandview in 2011 after someone in our family let me use RCI for our travel to Las Vegas. Loved the property and ended up purchasing a unit for $5000 (which turned out to be a tri-annual).

Lesson learned, but it's nice to know I have a piece of property at a nice resort in Vegas that I will use.

We all learn together

some fabulous articles to help you along in the TUG ADVICE section:

http://advice.tug2.net

can start with the how to rent article here http://rent.tug2.net

vegasVIP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Vegas HHonors Diamond

My resale purchase is exactly what I wanted. 7k plat for 10k. I know one thing, every owners update I meet full freight buyers either in the limo or waiting area. All of them would have loved to find TUG first and saved 20k. Preaching full freight is better is comical at best.

daggr63

Reaction score
Booking your deeded week [Grandview Las Vegas]

Still waiting on all the paperwork to clear on our TS but I was wondering how you book your deeded week for use if you did not want to exchange it with RCI? We are on, or rather will be on the weeks program once all the paperwork clears. Our TS is the Grandview in Las Vegas. Thanks for helping out!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It can vary a little bit. Sometimes you simply show up on move-in day of your week. Sometimes they will call you to see if you are going to use it or deposit it. Sometimes you call and tell them. If no instructions come with your paperwork from the resort confirming your ownership, I'd call the desk and clarify.

There is no one answer for all resorts or systems. Like all things 'timeshare' it just ain't that easy.

Jim

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
... If no instructions come with your paperwork from the resort confirming your ownership, I'd call the desk and clarify.

There is no one answer for all resorts or systems. Like all things 'timeshare' it just ain't that easy.

Jim

I would definitely call them. I've heard of some resorts that automatically deposit your unit if they don't hear from you by a certain time.

If you never plan on exchanging with RCI don't even open an account with them, or wait until you're ready to exchange then explore all the exchange company options available.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
AND, yet another option...... I know the OP is a new owner, but Grandview is part of another mini system, and owners there can exchange within the system at lower cost- maybe even no cost (I don't know). Here's a link to the locations. http://www.dailymanagementresorts.com/Locations.aspx I know the OP wants to use the place he owns at least at the first, but there are options.

Jim

daggr63

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it. Lots of good information at this site!

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Playing The Timeshare Game.

It is semi-risky but possible to try renting out your Grandview week for cash, then spend some of the cash on a bargain Last Call week at Grandview via RCI.

For years we did that with our outstanding 3BR-3BA Orlando timeshare -- rented it out for enough money to cover maintenance fees plus a little something left over, then used the little something to pay for an RCI Last Call or Instant Exchange reservation for ourselves at somebody else's timeshare. One time we got an Instant Exchange 3BR-3BA reservation at our own outstanding timeshare.

Grandview frequently shows up as available on RCI's Last Call list.

Both times we stayed at Grandview, we got Last Call or on-sale Extra Vacation Getaway reservations.

daggr63

Reaction score
yes, I was actually thinking of exchanging and then trying to go to Florida in the summer and use a last call in Vegas in the spring instead. I will have a better idea once the paperwork is cleared and I get my RCI login so I can do some investigating.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you get to thinking fairly seriously about exchanging, you might consider actually joining TUG. ($15/yr) That gives you access to 10's of thousands of reviews by TUGgers of thousands of resorts. Mostly unbiased. These will help you decide on places you want to go and choose between them. It also gets rid of that pesky 'Guest' designation by your username and makes you known henceforth as a Member, beknighted and bestowed upon with all TUG knowledge. (well, sort of. Some things just take time to ferret out)

Jim

Smokatoke

TUG Member
Reaction score
AND, yet another option...... I know the OP is a new owner, but Grandview is part of another mini system, and owners there can exchange within the system at lower cost- maybe even no cost (I don't know). Here's a link to the locations. http://www.dailymanagementresorts.com/Locations.aspx I know the OP wants to use the place he owns at least at the first, but there are options.

Jim

Not to thread hijack but is GrandView also part of the Vacation Village Resort system as well? When you google Grandview at Las Vegas the first link that comes up is through Vacation Village? Is GV part of both these systems??

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Methinks it's the other way around. Vacation Village and Grandview Resorts are part of Daily Management.