• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New owner; Best way for additional CUP points?

LyublyuTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a couple of fixed weeks at Carmel and am a new owner.
I have been eying extra days available via internal exchange in the Hyatt system with CUP points. What is the best way to get CUP points for this purpose? Can welk points be converted into CUP points? Is it possible to purchase CUP points directly? The fixed weeks that I purchased I am using so I don't want to exchange them. I just want to know the best way to get additional CUP points using another purchase.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Hi. Basicaly Your HRPP points become CUP points after you do not reserve your Home resort preference time, in the alloted time frame. Thus that's the only way you get CUP points. Basicaly you can use your HPPR points to reserve anything you see available with your HRRP points but as soon as you do you loose your priority to reserve your deeded weeks at Carmel, and the remainder points you don't use for that immedaitly become CUP points. Thus Your HRPP points and CUP points are basicaly the same points untill they become ,Limited Club points then Limited points have a restriction that you can only make a reservation of within 60 days of checking in.

SO NO, you can not buy any CLUB POINTS. ( You would need to buy more weeks for that -Maybe somewhere else that you do not plan to visit very often. I.e. there are some bargins out there when you just look at other Hyatt resedence clubs to buy into, and base your desison on original cost (per point received) and also the cost of the annual maintenence fee per point.

Or maybe by the use of some unused points form another owner that could make the reervation for you. I.e. like renting the stay from them basicaly. I usually have more points now than I can use, whille I do try to rent out my peak deded ski week at Breckenridge, I'm not in the businness of "renting out my points" especilay for resrvations at clubs where I don't own at. ( which is technicaly against the club rules anyway) , but is routinly done by others using " Gift Certificates". sometimes at primium prices. i.e check out rentals availble on this site or other sites.

It's more complecated than I have time to get into just right now, but Im sure some forum members will jump in right away to give you more details.

Have you registered and signed into your account on the Hyatt residence club web site yet? Thats the first thing you need to do and learn how that works befor you do anything else.

You can always call HRC Owners services at 1-800-340-9997 for some basic questions about the progression of how your points change over time. .. until if you don't use them they will expire !

I dont think anyone knows right now how Welk is going to finaly be integrated with Hyat RC, if ever, or on what terms.

Perry

P.S I just came back from 5 nights from 7 Jul to 12 July - Hyatt Highlands Carmel CA yesterday. I used my Limeted Club use points !! Weather was 65 for the whole week - with drizzel each morning untill clearing up in the afternoon.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
1) What is the best way to get CUP points for this purpose?

2) Can welk points be converted into CUP points? Is it possible to purchase CUP points directly?

(Numbers added to quote for clarity.)

1) Purchase a "trader" week someplace. Pinon Point, Beach House and Wild Oak have low maintenance fees. That's where traders typically buy.

2) Currently no. Perhaps someday. But the longer this merger drags on, the more I feel that Welk is "Hyatt in Name Only."

There is no way to purchase CUP points. The system would completely break down if it was possible. The reason this system works is that every point is backed by deeded real estate. There are no "points credit cards" or developer specials for new owners.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Purchase a deeded week as mentioned by ScoopKona above, on the resale market, and not Hyatt Porfolio Points.