• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Orleans -- Safe To Visit?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Lots of stuff in the news about the crime rate in N.O. In the past, violent crime has not been all that common in the French Quarter except late at night but I'm not sure that is still the case.

We don't carouse. We stay in the French Quarter but hardly spend any time after dark on Bourbon Street. And, we are almost always in by 10 PM.

We have visited N.O. at least a couple of dozen times so it's not like it's a bucket list place for us.

Whaddya think? Too risky or just a lot of noise about not much of anything?

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Imo…Way too risky…my daughter went down to N.O. a month ago with a few friends for a bachelorette party and couldn’t wait to get out of town….its a mess.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the French Quarter safe or is the areas around the French Quarters and Bourbon Street that is not safe??

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
We do the same as you, Jim. We love La Belle Maison which is, technically, a block away from the French Quarter. We go out during the day and early evening and are back to our rooms by about 9. We have never had any issues. Due to covid and our move, we haven’t been in 3 or 4 years but have a trip scheduled next April. We’re looking forward to getting back to some of those wonderful restaurants.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We were there in early January and did not venture near the French Quarter at night. We did walk from our hotel, St. Charles Coach House, at night along St. Charles to the Delachaise for dinner. I was more concerned about tripping on the sidewalk than being accosted as it was very dark in several areas along the way. We took the streetcar back.

During the day, the French Quarter, as in parts of just about every big city, had the usual share of dicey characters whom we ignored.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We leave for New Orleans today, staying at Wyndham Avenue A. Nightclubs and drinking don't interest us, and we'll be back at our unit after dinner. Bringing our anti pickpocket wallet n purse.

I made a reservation at Dooky Chase in Treme neighborhood. I looked too late to reserve for Commander's Palace, but could do takeout. We aren't big foodies but would appreciate other restaurant suggestions.
Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Looking at that LexisNexis map, it appears most crime in the tourist district are petty theft, robberies, pick pocket type things that you see in most large cities. I know that homicides are way up in NO, but that same map doesn't show any in the French Quarter area. I think that as long as you are there during the day or during other busy times when the area is busy, you should be fine. Just don't wear expensive items, carry lots of cash and leave expensive cell phones in your room. Don't put your wallet in your back pocket and leave purses in your in the room alsot. Only carry your ID and credit card you will need to make purchases for that day or evening. Don't have all your wallet contents on you as if it is stolen, it means more things to cancel and replace.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at that LexisNexis map, it appears most crime in the tourist district are petty theft, robberies, pick pocket type things that you see in most large cities. I know that homicides are way up in NO, but that same map doesn't show any in the French Quarter area. I think that as long as you are there during the day or during other busy times when the area is busy, you should be fine. Just don't wear expensive items, carry lots of cash and leave expensive cell phones in your room. Don't put your wallet in your back pocket and leave purses in your in the room alsot. Only carry your ID and credit card you will need to make purchases for that day or evening. Don't have all your wallet contents on you as if it is stolen, it means more things to cancel and replace.
Those are some excellent suggestions dioxide45. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
On our flight to NOLA, the local man sitting next to me said crime was way up. He advised to do sightseeing during day, and stay in at night.

dsfritz

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there 2 months ago. We felt totally safe. We were never out after about 10 p.m. and stayed in the French Quarter.

GoPokes!

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
Maui Banyan Vacation Club
Palace View by Spinnaker
We aren't big foodies but would appreciate other restaurant suggestions.
Thanks!

Cochon Butcher for sandwiches with meats they cure themselves; the muffaletta is a winner. Try Emeril's for a really nice dinner.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there 2 months ago. We felt totally safe. We were never out after about 10 p.m. and stayed in the French Quarter.
We were also there two months ago and felt safe. We stayed just a few blocks away from the French Quarter. Got takeout from Mother's Restaurant just across the street from our hotel.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
My husband grew up in NOLA. Crime has always been bad there. I personally have a love-hate relationship with NOLA because of that. Multiple times there's been gun violence near where we were.

General rule is to keep your wits about you, don't flaunt your wealth, don't walk around certain neighborhoods after dark...
But also, the French Quarter is super touristy and if there's crime it's more likely just theft or fraud, not gun violence.
Gun violence is usually personal. So I wouldn't be too worried, just stay alert and know that if you or anyone gets shot near you that it's important to STOP THE BLEED.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love New Orleans try to go at least once a year. We also are day people. Walk whenever we can. Stay both near the Quarter and in the Garden District. I agree the sidewalks are terrifying.

Only problems I’ve ever encountered is the young gutter rats(Nola local name not mine) saying rude and threatening things to people they pass. Might be homeless might be just trouble makers. Bad attitudes and do not seem to fear touching strangers. Always travel in a pack.
My scariest incident was in 2014 I was walking alone(my fault) down Bourbon Street after midnight on a Sunday nite(Jazz Fest) street was pretty bare. I’d left my drunk friend in a bar because I couldn’t stand being around her one more minute. I don’t drink so at least I was clear headed. A pack of these young people literally surrounded me. Really not sure what would have happened I assume a robbery. A Good Samaritan stepped in and pulled me out of the circle. Walked me to Canal Street where I told him that was far enough. Even good samaritans sometimes have different motives. I then literally walked/ran to La Belle from there.
Situational awareness is important. Stay where you belong. Don’t walk alone don’t drink to excess and decide to party with strangers. Ladies don’t carry a purse unless you have to. No flashy clothes or jewelry. Pretty much basic rules of travel.

We travel to Mexico twice a year for extended periods of time and always deal with this same question. My answer is always the same STAY WHERE YOU BELONG. I don’t mean at your all inclusive resort I mean stay in the tourist area where you see others that are obviously tourists. There is crime everywhere. I live in Lincoln, NE and a few years ago there were 5 murder before Feb. we have resort friends that live near Chicago they shake their heads when people talk about the crime in Mexico.