• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Orleans Jazz Festival

mshatty

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Judy--is the Avenue Plaza the same one that Wyndham owners can book? thanx, Dawn

Not Judy, but yes, the Wyndham Ave Plaza and WM New Orleans is the same TS resort. Wyndham has a new resort, La Belle Maison, in New Orleans that is closer to the French Quarter area.

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jazz Fest is not particularly wild. Just good music and a bit of a crowd. But Bourbon St. on a weekend night is usually pretty hopping, and there may be some flashing for beads on Bourbon St. at any time of the year. Other than that, I would say you should bring your 15-yr.-old. Just stay off Bourbon St. on Friday or Saturday night.

I'm going with friends this year.

Just remember that it will be virtually impossible to get a timeshare trade in at that time, and a nice hotel room will go for $200-$250 a night.

Thanks. I do have a hotel booked. Still hoping for a timeshare trade and I like the kitchen and a room to relax. I will take the tip to stay off Bourbon St on the weekend nights.

Is it a relatively safe area - if we stay around the french quarter? I'd like to stay somewhere and not have to worry about driving to the fest. My daughter isn't sure if she wants to go. URG. I want to book the flights.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is it a relatively safe area - if we stay around the french quarter?

It's safe in the quarter. But just outside, on the edges, can be risky at night if you don't know where you're going.

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it a relatively safe area - if we stay around the french quarter?

You'll know right away if you leave the "tourist zone" because there won't be any tourists!

We usually go to clubs and restaurants on Frenchmen St. In the evening, we usually walk on Chartres or Royal to get there. These streets have more of what we like in the stores so it's easy for us to window shop back and forth.

In general I'd say, the further you are from the river the fewer tourists there are. This can be good and bad of course. In the daytime I like to stroll away from the river just to avoid the crowds.

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we have a room reserved at the Marriott on Canal street. Is that in the french quarter? Is there public transport to get to the jazz fest from there?

I'm thinking of taking a cab from the airport, as it looks like most hotels charge for parking.

Still hoping for a last minute timeshare.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think we have a room reserved at the Marriott on Canal street. Is that in the french quarter?

The Marriott on Canal St. (I assume you mean the one at Canal and Decatur, not the J.W. Marriott a bit further north) is right on the edge of the Quarter. If you walk up Canal St. to Bourbon at night, you'll see some seedy characters, but because it's so busy, nothing to worry about. Better just to go around the corner, walk in on Decatur or Royal, and walk up to the action on Bienville.

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriott on Canal St. (I assume you mean the one at Canal and Decatur, not the J.W. Marriott a bit further north) is right on the edge of the Quarter. If you walk up Canal St. to Bourbon at night, you'll see some seedy characters, but because it's so busy, nothing to worry about. Better just to go around the corner, walk in on Decatur or Royal, and walk up to the action on Bienville.

Thanks - good advise. I'm still trying to find a cheap airfare.
So excited about finally goning to NoLA. Is the Jazz Fest totally mobbed (crowded) or is it not too bad and enjoyable?

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks - good advise. I'm still trying to find a cheap airfare.
So excited about finally goning to NoLA. Is the Jazz Fest totally mobbed (crowded) or is it not too bad and enjoyable?

I was there last in 2005, just before Katrina. It was busy, but not so crowded it was unenjoyable. I assume it's a bit lighter now.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You'll know right away if you leave the "tourist zone" because there won't be any tourists!

We usually go to clubs and restaurants on Frenchmen St. In the evening, we usually walk on Chartres or Royal to get there. These streets have more of what we like in the stores so it's easy for us to window shop back and forth.

In general I'd say, the further you are from the river the fewer tourists there are. This can be good and bad of course. In the daytime I like to stroll away from the river just to avoid the crowds.

What's the appeal of Frenchmen St? I was there yesterday, in broad daylight, and it creeped me out. Of course, I'm a woman visiting NOLA solo this time, so I wouldn't venture certain places here after dark. Frenchmen St is rather seedy, not touristy but that's probably for a reason. Why is there razor wire around so many walls there? Hmmm, I guess I'll just ask the next NOLA cop I see, since I'm still here for a couple more days. :wave:

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What's the appeal of Frenchmen St?

They have several really nice jazz/blues clubs on that one street, without the crowds and noise of Bourbon St. Snug Harbor in particular has some great acts every night, including Charmaine Neville most Monday nights, and some of the best burgers in NOLA.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
They have several really nice jazz/blues clubs on that one street, without the crowds and noise of Bourbon St. Snug Harbor in particular has some great acts every night, including Charmaine Neville most Monday nights, and some of the best burgers in NOLA.

Charmaine Neville played there this past Monday, but I wouldn't feel safe going to/from that area alone, being a woman. I toured a timeshare there for info purposes...and there was shiny new razor wire separating it from the abandoned property next door. Why would they have so much razor wire in that area of NOLA? I don't recall noticing new razor wire in the Quarter.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I toured a timeshare there for info purposes...

I toured that timeshare. Had a 2 pm appointment and arrived at 2 pm. They made us wait in the hall for 20 minutes before they called us in to check us in. 15 minutes into the presentation, the saleswoman realized we were not going to buy, but the manager told her she had to hold us there for 90 minutes, anyway. And then they said that the 90 minutes ran from the 2:20 pm checkin time, not from the time we arrived. Very irritating. We did, however, get 2 ghost walks, 2 garden district walks, and 2 all day "deluxe" City Tours, so probably about $200 worth of stuff.

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I toured that timeshare. Had a 2 pm appointment and arrived at 2 pm. They made us wait in the hall for 20 minutes before they called us in to check us in. 15 minutes into the presentation, the saleswoman realized we were not going to buy, but the manager told her she had to hold us there for 90 minutes, anyway. And then they said that the 90 minutes ran from the 2:20 pm checkin time, not from the time we arrived. Very irritating. We did, however, get 2 ghost walks, 2 garden district walks, and 2 all day "deluxe" City Tours, so probably about $200 worth of stuff.

Steve, I'm interested in receiving the same incentives you did. Who do I need to see to get everything?

We're headed back to NOLA a month from today actually (3/20).

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score

Exactly!

The Esplanade side of the French Quarter is very quiet and nearly deserted of almost all "tourists" in the evenings. ("Tourist" can be defined as those who go to NOLA and dine only at TGIFridays or McDonald's just to be food safe. If you go to either of these in addition to feasting on Creole food, you're probably ok. :D ) A block or two (depending which streets you are take to get there) after Esplanade is Frenchmen St. There are many more people on this street -- locals, tourists, and everyone else!

We like Snug Harbor, the Spotted Cat, and dinner at Adolfo's above the Apple Bar. Low key places to enjoy food and music.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Steve, I'm interested in receiving the same incentives you did. Who do I need to see to get everything?

It was at the small storefront on Decatur, about a block or so from Conti. North side of Decatur, and they're touting all kinds of tours. He didn't offer everything, we just kept asking for more stuff until he was offering what we wanted.

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was at the small storefront on Decatur, about a block or so from Conti. North side of Decatur, and they're touting all kinds of tours. He didn't offer everything, we just kept asking for more stuff until he was offering what we wanted.

Thanks for the info.

It's always nice to learn from the pros. Just keep asking for more until they offer what you want. It's kinda like buying an additional timeshare: buy only when they accept your price.