• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Orleans Jazz Festival

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Judy,

Anywhere in the French Quarter would be fine. My choice would be the Quarter House if you can get it.

As you know the Jazz Festival this year will be held at the Fair Grounds Race Course (aka New Orleans Fair Grounds) locatedd at 1751 Gentilly Blvd, New Orleans - this is slightly northwest of the French Quarter.

For transportation options on getting to the Fair Grounds, see www.nojazzfest.com

Have a great trip if you decide to go!

Richard

johnstp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Judy,

I've been attending Jazz Fest just about every year since 2000. My advice would be to not worry about where to stay in relation to the Fair Grounds. There are LOTS of ways to get to and from Jazz Fest from anywhere in NOLA.

Stay where you would prefer to be in the evening. Too far off the beaten path, and things tend to get a little sketchy. Also, finding a cab can be next to impossible.

I would recommend staying in the French Quarter or the Central Business District (CBD).

There's a great forum where you can ask any questions - http://www.nojazzfest.com/chat

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked Worldmark New Orleans on St. Charles Avenue. It has the advantage of allowing me to stay through the entire weekend.
Do you think the location is OK? I know it isn't in the French Quarter.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Judy,

You're about 4.5 miles away from the Fair Grounds at the Worldmark St. Charles Ave location.

You did well.

Have fun!

Richard

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There is a shuttle during JazzFest that goes direct to the fairgrounds and then down Canal St. So, the two timeshares in the Quarter closest to Canal St. are fairly convenient (Club La Pension and Quarter House). Also, the shuttle stop on Canal St. nearest the Quarter is right around the corner from Hotel De L'Eau Vive, which is the closest timeshare to the shuttle.

I own there during JazzFest, but I rented out my Hotel De L'Eau Vive unit some months ago. I will mention that JazzFest has gotten quite popular this year, especially with the artists that will be there (like Stevie Wonder, Carlos Santana, Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffett, Sheryl Crow, Al Green, Elvis Costello and many more superstars).

I would highly recommend going if you can. I had a blast last time I was there.

johnstp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The actual Jazz Fest takes place on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the first weekend. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sundy of the second weekend.

Monday thru Wednesday (the Daze Between) are still pretty good, with lots of evening shows at the clubs and free, daytime in-store performances at the record stores in the Quarter.

IMHO, Jazz Fest is the best time to be in New Orleans. WAY better than Mardi Gras.

Here are some websites that will help you out:

www.nojazzfest.com - Official NO Jazz & Heritage Festival site
www.jazzfestgrids.com - Listing of evening shows both weekends and Daze Between)
http://jazzfest.swagland.com/ - An treasure-trove of info for newbies and veterans

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Hotel Monteleone is the official hotel for the New Orleans Fairgrounds.

The hotel is located at 214 Royal Street, about a block away from the Quarter House.

If you get a chance go into their Carousel Bar and Lounge off the Lobby - the Carousel circles 360 degrees as you enjoy your drink.

http://www.hotelmonteleone.com/

Hotel Monteleone Carousel Bar

Richard

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked Worldmark New Orleans on St. Charles Avenue. It has the advantage of allowing me to stay through the entire weekend.
Do you think the location is OK? I know it isn't in the French Quarter.

I am shocked you were able to get any timeshare at all.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
IMHO, Jazz Fest is the best time to be in New Orleans. WAY better than Mardi Gras.

I'd argue with you on that one. Both are different, both are wonderful. Depends on your mood.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

The Worldmark is pretty easy to get any time of the year. It's a limited timeshare due to its location (pretty inaccessible to anything once the streetcar stops running at night). I turned down buying a Mardi Gras unit there for $1,000 because folks here on TUG said that it was overpriced at that rate.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you get a chance go into their Carousel Bar and Lounge off the Lobby - the Carousel circles 360 degrees as you enjoy your drink.

Was that Sazerac really strong, or is the room spinning? :D

johnstp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd argue with you on that one. Both are different, both are wonderful. Depends on your mood.

You're right, of course, but my experience has been that Mardi Gras tends to attract people who are there get drunk, get **** and/or see how many girls they can get to flash.

The people who come down during Jazz Fest seem to truly appreciate the music and culture of New Orleans. It just seems more real to me.

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Worldmark. I booked the second jazz fest weekend and several days leading up to it, on the first day that reservations opened (13 months in advance). Surprisingly, there's still availability for owners.

roadsister

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi Judy,
I just returned from the Worldmark there....I have several pictures of the resort posted on the Worldmark website if you are interested in seeing the resort itself.

I loved riding the street car down St. Charles...$1.25! There were some problems with the room I had but...hey...beats paying the outrageous prices for a hotel!!!!

roadsister

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your pictures are incredible! They make me want to go all the more. How did you get around to all of these places? Did you rent a car, or take tours?

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
jazz fest wkend 2

I'm thinking about going to Jazz fest weekend 2. Never been before. Looking for a place to stay. Is it too "wild" to take my (sheltered)15 year old daughter?

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going to Jazz fest weekend 2. Never been before. Looking for a place to stay. Is it too "wild" to take my (sheltered)15 year old daughter?

Jazz Fest is not particularly wild. Just good music and a bit of a crowd. But Bourbon St. on a weekend night is usually pretty hopping, and there may be some flashing for beads on Bourbon St. at any time of the year. Other than that, I would say you should bring your 15-yr.-old. Just stay off Bourbon St. on Friday or Saturday night.

I'm going with friends this year.

Just remember that it will be virtually impossible to get a timeshare trade in at that time, and a nice hotel room will go for $200-$250 a night.

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Judy--is the Avenue Plaza the same one that Wyndham owners can book? thanx, Dawn