• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Orleans carriage rides

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I'm going with my elderly mother and brother to New Orleans before they embark on their cruise. My mother can walk but not long distances. We're bringing a portable wheelchair/walker but I'm afraid the sidewalks in the French quarter will be a bit narrow for it.

I've seen pictures of horse carriages for hire at Jefferson park. Are they readily available? What are approximate costs? I looked at TripAdvisor, and most of the recommended carriage rides are the ghost tours at night which is too late for my mother. She'll want to see things but not walk too much, so I was thinking of the Hop-on-hop-off bus for one of our 2 days there, in addition to a carriage ride.

I would appreciate any sightseeing suggestions for people with limited mobility.
Thanks!

Greg G

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Sandra

You can also hire horse carriage rides at Jackson Square. Where you are staying may dictate the better place to get a horse carriage (I'm not sure but some may even come pick you up). The sidewalks in the French Quarter are wide enough for a wheelchair (they seemed to be pretty reasonable width from what I remember). You can even see The Hop-on-hop-off bus should work for what you want to do, just remember to schedule things with it in mind.

o7IG9fImPxgtJLaF7g9Oc2BAYfndrX1Zp8zPmCVLY8dXRBrrQ0OoqjYiboAVwcFNUFQgcR5vr6pOSHq3lA4qCImNISQ9Z6fqtFbwzCZ73jAdBDK0POLl1oTsFQ9eiDbrC-gB2nT0-QM=w4800

Greg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We used Lyft a lot while we were there. It was cheap and convenient. The sidewalks can be narrow and uneven so care has to be taken while walking around.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Yes, some of the sidewalks are made of brick or uneven concrete so it can be bumpy, so you may want to test out the well chair on this type of surface to see how well it can negotiate it. Here is a link in regards to wheel chair accessibility,and you can probably find others as well.
http://wheelchairtraveling.com/new-orleans-access-overview-accessible-for-wheelchairs-and-disabled/
IMHO walking/wheel chair is the best way to see the architecture and get the feel of the city, and allows you to linger when you want, although they have limited time. So combining that with Lyft or Hop on/off bus seems like a good choice (if you see something interesting, just hop off and wander around)
It allows you to see things such as the following.

J1ECmOvs5GRgbI-h4QqdnEaxMYlA6aYL9stIx-VUSXs7gjEvNroxwdm_crOPL30yB7hCSkglpuBfJBlN3nQ0vBOf3RDGBYl0MCfGaFyiGA-lVvWskI2M24ExqbRYHXxDFCxIxRFjyG4=w2400

Granted they have only 2 days so you'll need to decide which things to see/concentrate on. Maybe try Jackson Square first, stop at Cafe DuMonde for beignets and coffee . And of course restaurants galore to try. Any special areas of interest your mom or brother have?

The National WWII museum would be well worth a visit, very moving audio/video accounts by veterans. Blane Kerns Mardi Gras World for getting a fell of Mardi Gras.

9vg81M06lgBjR6jlHVz_FSH_iy1e3IPceuTfjtglOoZRtwdtqGiZm1CkTv_xR2qoBsZQsHC1gjZE011OON0hN-FY32HPZQw1FGa-ThN168rwj6Kifs4CbQhPs6rxMmB6Iaj5kF8x0KI=w2400

Greg

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Thanks Greg and Slip for your suggestions.
I agree that walking sounds like the best way to see the place.
Good to know that horse carriages are available around Jackson Square.
I was going to reserve a carriage tour ahead of time, but going to play it by ear cause the weather forecast for the couple of days we have, has been ranging from 40-80% chance of rain :(

Funny but my mother is of the WWII generation (almost 90) but she wasn't much interested in going to the museum. I think she'll like to see the French quarter architecture and people watching as long as she doesn't have to walk much and do it in some sitting comfort, but not in a wheelchair. (per Mom, wheelchairs are for old people ;)) Will definitely go to Jackson Square and have some beignets. The Mardi Gras museum sounds interesting.

I expect we'll be taking a lot of cabs. My brother thinks the hop-on-hop-off bus steps might be too high for my mother, so we'll have to see them in person and then decide.

They're only travelling all that way from Honolulu to New Orleans go to on a particular 3 week cruise my brother wants. Mom likes cruises tho', just not the effort to get there. They've been on the around Hawaii cruise about a dozen times !

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
We rented a scooter for my dad in New Orleans, I don't remember who through but I could look it up if someone needed the info. They dropped it off and picked it up straight to our hotel, which we appreciated very much. It would have been difficult to get around with a wheelchair, and unacceptably dangerous to try without it. Between that and Uber, we got to do a lot of exploring.

I think you have a good plan to get to see the sights while minimizing the walking. I hope you all really enjoy your trip!