• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Orleans Avenue Plaza mini review

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Is the haunted house on property open? It was closed for refurb when I stayed there and I didn't get to go inside.

I finally got a chance to ask about this. They said No, it’s still closed, and probably will be for at least another few years. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, you must be waddling by now with all the good food!

LOL! :p It's been pretty tasty, but I've actually been pretty good. I've been trying to eat till I feel full, and take away the rest for later. I've found (to my surprise) that my taste buds are pretty specific - I do like the fresh seafood items a lot, and seafood things in other things (e.g. crab/lobster/crawfish seafood pasta), but find I can't handle the overly-sweet stuff or anything greasy.

Some meals are better than others, and I've left a few places feeling pretty stuffed. We had dinner last night at Mr. John's restaurant next to Avenue Plaza. Insanely expensive meal, but the food was probably the best fresh fish (Amberjack, if anyone knows that fish) I've ever had. It was cooked to perfection, had a fantastic sauce, and was just exceptional. Add in the appetizer (crab-stuffed shrimp, wrapped in bacon and grilled, served with a spicy aioli drizzle and a sweet chillie sauce) and I waddled out with a very, very big smile. It was a great meal, and no leftovers! :) No complaints all week about the food here.

Tonight we'll end our NoLa visit with a farewell dinner at the Creole House on Canal Street. :thumbup:

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Well, as seems to happen after a week or so at timeshare resorts, it's time to say Farewell. We've thoroughly enjoyed our time in New Orleans, enough to want to return and see more of it. It's been a throughly pleasant experience. The weather has been really good, although a bit (ok, a LOT) hotter and more humid than I'm used to. Food has been just excellent, and I've enjoyed a lot of great things, cooked by people who didn't learn it from a cookbook. (I can still fasten my pants this morning, so I think I came through this mostly unscathed. We'll see what the scale says when I get home. ;) )

I think, rather surprisingly, the most enjoyable part of this week has been the people. I have found them generally to be very pleasant, respectful, and kind. There is a natural grace and goodness about people here that comes through in their treatment of others. Even the panhandlers on the street have been polite.

The only person I came across who seemed to have a generally bad attitude was a woman on the elevator here at Avenue Plaza yesterday. She railed long and loud about the awful housekeeping staff here, who tried to break into her room, and refused to speak English to her when she challenged them - the woman went on and on, displaying a very ugly, uncharitable attitude. When she got off the elevator, the others in the car looked at each other, and somebody said, "Wow! How does she live with all that hatred?" I agreed.

We're packed and ready to check out, but first, one last breakfast down the street at The Trolley Stop. The food there is quite good, no surprises, and very affordable. We've become somewhat of regulars there, enough that the wait staff greets us with a smile and a "Welcome back!" when we walk in. Nice folks. After breakfast, we'll hop a cab and head to the Cruise Ship Terminal to begin Part Two of this three-legged vacation.

Let the good times roll. Yes, indeed. :D

Dave

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Dave,

This is one of the best "journals" I've seen posted here. Thanks for taking time to detail your week in N.O. It sounds like you did the things that were at the top of your list, about as much as one can do in a week. As most people find, there's way more to do in N.O. than you can do in a week. You'll be back.

Your photos are spectacular. What kind of camera were you using?

Enjoy your cruise!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave,

This is one of the best "journals" I've seen posted here. Thanks for taking time to detail your week in N.O. It sounds like you did the things that were at the top of your list, about as much as one can do in a week. As most people find, there's way more to do in N.O. than you can do in a week. You'll be back.

Your photos are spectacular. What kind of camera were you using?

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks very much, Jim. I appreciate the kind words!

We deliberately took things slower here, knowing we couldn't do everything. We did just enough planned activities, and did a lot of "on the day" exploring as we felt was worth the effort. We slept good, full nights, only needing to set an alarm two mornings, to meet scheduled activity timeframes. It's been a very restful week.

The pictures I posted came from one of two sources: My Nikon P500 digital camera, (a fixed-lens multi-zoom camera), that takes really nice images, and (believe it or not) my iPhone 6S cell phone camera. I didn't use any editing software, so these images are how they came out of the camera. All the exterior images are from the Nikon. The interior images, the trolley, and bus pictures all came from my cell phone. Glad you enjoyed them. :)

Now, let's see what sort of mischief I can find on a cruise ship... ;)

Dave

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Thanks for the updates Dave. I really enjoyed this !!! :thumbup: We are thinking of heading to the same places next year.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Bill. I have a lot of pictures and information I didn’t post, so if you have questions, please ask. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Definitely, makes me want to go back and check out some of the things we didn’t get to do.

Enjoy the cruise!!

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, I was thinking about calling the concierge at Avenue Plaza about the best/easiest/not-so-expensive place to order an anniversary cake for the in-laws (ideally, one that we could either pick-up within walking/streetcar distance or could be delivered to AP.) Does this make sense to folks? I think the in-laws booked directly with Wyndham, so their names should be on the reservation.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Thanks for the great running journal Dave, and superb pictures. Love the plantation shots and the sunburst at Mardi Gras World.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Okay, I was thinking about calling the concierge at Avenue Plaza about the best/easiest/not-so-expensive place to order an anniversary cake for the in-laws (ideally, one that we could either pick-up within walking/streetcar distance or could be delivered to AP.) Does this make sense to folks? I think the in-laws booked directly with Wyndham, so their names should be on the reservation.

I wouldn't try walking with a cake on those sidewalks. Very uneven and extremely "trip hazardy." I'd say to call them and ask what your options are.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for the great running journal Dave, and superb pictures. Love the plantation shots and the sunburst at Mardi Gras World.

Thanks Greg! I'll be adding to it and posting a full review after I get home.

Dave

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter has taken over the cake arrangements, and I think her first question to any bakery will be, "Can you deliver?" LOL. :D (Somehow, it's more charming coming from a 12 year old buying a cake for her grandparents...)