• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Oahu Law Limits Short Term Rentals

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Will this affect renting out timeshare weeks on Waikiki?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This can affect some who use Airbnb to add a few days onto their stay. I would inquire to make sure it is a legal rental.

I know the building my apartment was in on Oahu was not supposed to be used as short term rentals but some owners did. Looks like there will be more enforcement with this law.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Maui is also looking at doing something like this. I can't say I blame them. I like the availability of short term rentals, but they are detrimental to the local population and artificially inflate housing prices.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Now if Kauai can follow through and limit it to Princeville.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Poipu is an area where they would be appropriate.

I thought about adding the Poipu area but decided that other than the timeshares and Hotels we would like to see the Poipu area become more Residential. Just think what it would do to House/Condo prices if folks could not rent out their part time Homes/Condos for thousands of dollars per week. Regular folks might be able afford to live in the area.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought about adding the Poipu area but decided that other than the timeshares and Hotels we would like to see the Poipu area become more Residential. Just think what it would do to House/Condo prices if folks could not rent out their part time Homes/Condos for thousands of dollars per week. Regular folks might be able afford to live in the area.

I think the condo's down there have too high of maintenance fees for that. I know Kiahuna Plantation one bedroom condos had monthly maintenance fees of $1,250 and that was a few years ago. They can always set up housing areas to be out of the short term rental zone.

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I think the concept is that they want residential areas to be residential areas, not “mixed use” with a bunch of short-term rentals embedded in the residential community.

But it is a very difficult law to enforce. Say I offer a 6-month lease, payable in 3-day increments in advance, and terminable at will, or on 3-days notice. Or even without the termination provision. It can have a $1 liquidated damages for breach provision, basically allowing the “long term” renter to get out of the lease for $1.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the concept is that they want residential areas to be residential areas, not “mixed use” with a bunch of short-term rentals embedded in the residential community.

But it is a very difficult law to enforce. Say I offer a 6-month lease, payable in 3-day increments in advance, and terminable at will, or on 3-days notice. Or even without the termination provision. It can have a $1 liquidated damages for breach provision, basically allowing the “long term” renter to get out of the lease for $1.

Yes, that is exactly what they are trying to do.

It sounds like they will have a dedicated staff of officers to provide enforcement. If a situation like you described happens once, that may be fine but over and over could show they are just trying to get around the law. So they would either stop it or change something so it could be stopped.

I think it will be hard to enforce also but angry neighbors could report violators and with a staff it can be curtailed by a lot.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned