• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2020] New MVC in Waikiki [Merged]

Aviator621

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just saw this article; looks like they are targeting 2021 for starting construction--110 units. Located next to Ft DeRussy. Will be interesting to see if they go the Pulse route on not

Last edited by a moderator:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect it will be a lot of folks using points for a 2 to 3 day add on to Ko Olina vs a full vacation
My guess is many will do a full week or so split between the 2, that's likely what we will do.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
While the location would require a walk to the beach at least it provides something in Waikiki. It will have nice access to restaurants and shopping. It will be interesting to see how the units look and what the point requirements will be. I agree with others that many owners will tack onto time at Ko Olina.

Best regards.

Mike

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I agree with Steven that the actual location in Waikiki isn't that exciting, but it does provide MVC owners a base to see the Waikiki core without the long drive from KoOlina. I don't see us using it, though, since we also own in HGVC, and they have several outstanding Waikiki properties we can use if and when we want to spend a few days there. The only advantage MVC would have is the ability to book 1 or 2 nights whereas HGVC has a 3-night minimum.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I suspect it will be a lot of folks using points for a 2 to 3 day add on to Ko Olina vs a full vacation

That’s exactly what I do with my Diamond property in Waikiki! I stay at Ko Olina and add a day or two before or after to enjoy Waikiki and not have to worry about parking. My wife likes the shopping there too.

BigMac

Reaction score

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...So one bedrooms and studios. ...not even a few 2-bedrooms?? I understand most people would not want to spend a full week at that location, but there are times when more space is needed. Yes, our family (with two teenage boys) can endure a hotel room for one night because of flight schedules, etc. But I know many empty nest couples who travel together to Hawaii timeshares. A timeshare with "space" would be nice in those situations. Otherwise, it's back to booking two rooms (whether at a timeshare or hotel).

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
...So one bedrooms and studios. ...not even a few 2-bedrooms?? I understand most people would not want to spend a full week at that location, but there are times when more space is needed. Yes, our family (with two teenage boys) can endure a hotel room for one night because of flight schedules, etc. But I know many empty nest couples who travel together to Hawaii timeshares. A timeshare with "space" would be nice in those situations. Otherwise, it's back to booking two rooms (whether at a timeshare or hotel).
A Pulse concept flaw for sure.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

As I have always seen it, the Pulse concept is not targeted at families with kids staying for seven nights. I think that target market is short stays and Millennials/empty nester Boomers. As a result the need for 2BR is reduced. While it is true as @Swice says that even empty nesters can sometimes use a 2BR, a developer has to evaluate the overall market for what they are building and build the unit mix that they think fits the target markets the best. They don't have enough space to accommodate every possible need or room configuration, so that have to build a solution/mix that maximizes/balances capacity with utility for the target market. Especially in a space-limited place like this, limiting it to 1BR and studios increases the absolute number of individual reservations that can accommodated for any given night.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I'm very happy to see continued development by MVC and happy also to see a Waikiki option. I think we have hit on some of the concerns above but I like that they are doing entirely new development. Personally, I welcome all expansion, new development and hotel conversions, as it gives more options.

We may find that we use discounted points for these, or Sunday/Monday reservations after Ko Olina to use lower point counts and bridge to less expensive airfares. Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting this!

Best,

Greg

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It's helpful if you own only MVC but I would opt for the amenities, room options and beachfront access of HGVC at Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Perhaps MVC is attempting to compete for the Asian market that HGVC has successfully captured on Waikiki.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
It's helpful if you own only MVC but I would opt for the amenities, room options and beachfront access of HGVC at Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Perhaps MVC is attempting to compete for the Asian market that HGVC has successfully captured on Waikiki.

Agreed, unless I only wanted to stay a night or two. HGVC requires a three-night minimum, so if I just wanted to go to Waikiki for a night or two, the MVC might be a better choice.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very happy to see the vacation club expanding. It will be very interesting to see if there are upcoming additions to the Westin and Sheraton Vacation branded business or if anything that was slated for the future will just carry the Marriott Vacation Club brand.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Agreed, unless I only wanted to stay a night or two. HGVC requires a three-night minimum, so if I just wanted to go to Waikiki for a night or two, the MVC might be a better choice.

FWIW...The new bHC club they are building on Waikiki might offer single night options since the other bHC clubs offer it. However that wont be open for another 2 years.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
FWIW...The new bHC club they are building on Waikiki might offer single night options since the other bHC clubs offer it. However that wont be open for another 2 years.

But if that location has the same short Club window as many other bHC properties, the utility for a Hawaii trip would be limited. I recognize that some of the newer bHC properties like Charleston have a regular Club window (which I don't understand HGVC's rationale for, as I've posted previously), so if the new Waikiki bHC is like Charleston, then you are correct that would match MVC for flexibility.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, this means American tourists from the mainland are coming back to Hawaii in the future.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Imo, Pulse has been and always will be a marketing gimmick to use at presentatations, with little utility and cost effectiveness for owners under the traditional family ts model.

It is to be able to sell to those who respond, "I don't want a week in a 2br in a family resort, I want to be downtown for a few days where Marriott isn't" (or at least wasn't.) Put up fancy nightime pictures of New York, Boston, Miami and San Diego, and Bam!, more points sold to a different demographic. Until of course they figure the true cost.

Without 2brs, I typically find much better deals and locations by just booking a regular or suite hotel.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Imo, Pulse has been and always will be a marketing gimmick to use at presentatations, with little utility and cost effectiveness for owners under the traditional family ts model.

It is to be able to sell to those who respond, "I don't want a week in a 2br in a family resort, I want to be downtown for a few days where Marriott isn't" (or at least wasn't.) Put up fancy nightime pictures of New York, Boston, Miami and San Diego, and Bam!, more points sold to a different demographic. Until of course they figure the true cost.

Without 2brs, I typically find much better deals and locations by just booking a regular or suite hotel.
Exactly

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I typically find much better deals and locations by just booking a regular or suite hotel.
I can only speak to DC and Boston but that is not our experience. The Mayflower has long been our favorite DC hotel and for every reservation I look at cash, DPs, and MRPs. DPs are often the cheapest option.

As for Boston, Custom House is almost always the cheapest option for a ‘real’ 1BR suite with a separate BR and room for four. The trick is finding availability using DPs.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Any updates?