• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

new marriott owner help him trading straegies

TUG Member
Reaction score
i have owned many timeshares that were great traders, but the first time in my life. I now own (2) marriotts
Marriott Shadow Ridge/Platinumum/2 bedroom/Lock off/Annual use
+
Marrriott Desert Springs/#2/Platinium/2 bedroom/lock off/annual use

can someone pls help me, learn how to use them for trading purposes

#1. If I want to use (1) of these (2) marriott timeshares for

Marriott aruba surf club in december,2009
is this make sense.

I pay the 2009 annual dues immediately

then I reseve the 2009 christmas week, with marriott, one year out
so i have great trading power?

then trade my (2) bedroom Marriot platinum christmas week
hopefully for (2) bedroom Mrariott Aruba Surf Club
thru interval

is it true. I must get up early and call, because sometimes the christmas weeks, are gone with one hour
of that (1) year out/period, for Marriott Reservations

#2.
If I want to use (1) of these (2) marriott timeshares for
Marriott Waiohai Beach club/Kauai In july,2009
do
I do the exact same thing as above
or
can this work

can I reserve the (2) bedrom at marriott, in decemer,2008 for Decemer,2009
but, then use my (1) bedroom to get a (2) bedroom at Marriott waioha Beach Club/Kauai in July,2009, because MWBC is a Dedicated (2) bedroom

than
can I use
my marriott studio for (2) bedroom marriott at (60) days out thru
Interval

Thanks in advance for help

bogeygolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts but I'm sure the other more experienced tuggers can chime in as well.

Your logic seem fine for the most part. Here are the keys to do this.
1. Find out the week in platinum season that has the most trading power for both of your resorts and reserve those weeks. You can call II to find this out.

2. Request with II as soon as you reserve your weeks either deposit or request first your trade request. I have heard that depositing rather than a request first has priority everything else being equal.

3. Trading a 1bdroom for 2bedrm MWBC might be tough although it is doable. Keep in mind, hawaii has very few 2bdroom inventory so if there is another trader with a 2bdrm then it will be a better trader than yours.

4. You actually own 2 weeks with Marriott so you should qualify to reserver your week 13 months out instead of 12 months. Call Marriott owner services and they can tell you details about this. In general, yes you want to call as soon as owner services is open to reserve your desired week whether its 13 or 12 months out.

Good luck, hope this helps!

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Maintenance fees are due January. You do not need to prepay your dues to reserve your week.

I own a shadow ridge week platinum as well. The high demand weeks are definitely Feb/Mar/Apr time frame. You can reserve two weeks in December as well. YOu can logon on to vacationclub.com and check out availability for your resorts. It will show which weeks in 2009 are still available.

Normally, if I'm gonna trade or rent, I reserve the highest demand week possible. So, for Shadow Ridge I would pick spring break or during the Indian Wells Tennis Tournament. Once I reserve my week then, I would deposit the week in II and make my request in II on the week I want there. I think, it is important to reserve as far as in advance as you can. We travel school holidays so, we have to reserve more than 13 months out for II. If you can travel off season you'll have a lot more flexibility in resorts and dates.

Good luck!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It will be difficult to trade into Waiohai during July when you are only putting your request in with II 6-7 months prior - even if you deposited a full 2BR unit. The trade very well may come through, but possibly not in time to get affordable airfare. It is best to request your week one year out if possible. IMO

Terry

Bill4728

Reaction score
Reserve both your spring 2009 weeks in Palm Desert, NOW!!

Then deposit them in II and request both Aruba and Hawaii NOW!!

It is the perfect time to start to search for Hawaii in July 2009 AND it never hurts to be the first in line to search for Aruba dec 2009. You likley will not see a match till Jan 2009 but you'll be one of the first Marriott owners requesting for Dec 2009 if you start now.

Last edited:

TUG Member
Reaction score
thank you to everyone for helping me, this is great! I did not make this clear
I do not get title to my (2) new marriotts till September 15,2008.
do you have concerns that the good weeks in feb/march,2009 will be long gone
by september 15,2008

could i get "shut out" of Christmas week/2009
in December,2008
If I do not get good advce from all of you
+
have a worthless 2009 week
for Interval/Marriott trading purposes

i understaning
marriott reservations
marriott lock off
Interval/marriott trading
thanks to all of you
but
do you have concerns that I get posssession of my 2009 week
around september 15,2008
after closing/title insurance,etc

TUG Member
Reaction score
can i book (13) months out
because I own (2) marriotts
reducing chance of "shut out"
remember I have fixed week timesahres/great traders
but
never deal with "floating season" issue

or
do my (2) marriotts have to be Same Marriott location
not (2) different marriot locations

bogeygolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
thank you to everyone for helping me, this is great! I did not make this clear
I do not get title to my (2) new marriotts till September 15,2008.
do you have concerns that the good weeks in feb/march,2009 will be long gone
by september 15,2008

could i get "shut out" of Christmas week/2009
in December,2008
If I do not get good advce from all of you
+
have a worthless 2009 week
for Interval/Marriott trading purposes

i understaning
marriott reservations
marriott lock off
Interval/marriott trading
thanks to all of you
but
do you have concerns that I get posssession of my 2009 week
around september 15,2008
after closing/title insurance,etc

Keep in mind that Marriott owner modification dept. has to officially transfer ownership within Marriott's system before you can do anything with your new purchases. This process I have heard is taking approx. 8 weeks or longer b/c Marriott is so backed up. If 9/15, is your proposed closing date then you will have to wait at least 8 weeks before you can reserve your weeks.

One other option you can do is having the previous owner reserve the weeks you want for you if you have not closed yet. Once the transfer of ownership is complete with marriott owners dept. than the weeks the previous owner reserved will automatically become yours.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, most good weeks for the platinum winter/spring season will be gone, but there will most likely be some availability, however. As soon as ownership is transfered to your name, ask Marriott onwer services to book a week for you - whatever the best week is. The Marriott rep will have access to a demand graph to help you.

I would then place a "request first" search with II immediately for the resorts and dates you are looking for. When November rolls around (13 months) you can call Marriott back and have them change your reserved weeks to week 51. If you miss try back again the next week for week 52. If you miss both, do it all over agian in December.

Whatever you do, DO NOT LET MARRIOTT CHANGE YOUR RESERVATION NUMBERS!

If you manage to get week 51 or 52 booked, ask your Marriott rep to call II and update your "request first" search with the new dates while you hold on the line. You may even give him/her a callback number. And again MAKE SURE THAT II DOES NOT CHANGE YOUR EXCHANGE REQUEST CONFIRMATION NUMBER!

This will give you a "stronger" trading week while keeping your search place in line at II. Do not let anyone tell you that this cannot be done because I have done it witout a hitch. See this post.

Good Luck
Terry

Bill4728

Reaction score
can i book (13) months out
because I own (2) marriotts
reducing chance of "shut out"
remember I have fixed week timesahres/great traders
but
never deal with "floating season" issue

or
do my (2) marriotts have to be Same Marriott location
not (2) different marriot locations
RE 13 month rule

Your two marriotts do not need to be the same resort or even the same country.

You must make your reservation for both resorts & the reservation is the same week or concurrent weeks. So you could at 13 months make reservations at both shadow ridge & Desert Springs both for xmas week. ( making sure that xmas week isn't a platinum plus week as it is in many of the marriott resorts)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
RE 13 month rule
Your two marriotts do not need to be the same resort or even the same country.
I know this is how Marriott does it, I just don't agree that the governing docs (at least for Shadow Ridge) give priority (13 mo res.) unless you own 2 weeks at that resort. The reservation procedures are detailed and specific.

Some day when I am really bored, i may spend the $320 to have a judge answer the question. (or just add another week...)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Don't get hung up on having to book a holiday week in order to get best trading power. While it is true that they usually have the best trading power, there are other weeks that have the same trading power from looking at the demand index.

Waiting to book a holiday week may end up leaving you out in the cold on those other weeks that have the same trading power if they are also sold out when you call to book the holiday week and find out it is sold out also.

I think this forum tends to promote having to always book a holiday week, when in fact you can get as good a trading power with a non holiday week and probably have less frustration in trying to book it.