• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New low for Resale Owners?

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did an owners update or whatever they are calling it now at Seawatch in myrtle beach today. During the update today we were referred to on multiple occasions as 'non-owners'. I understand they don't like resales but to not even acknowledge we are part of the system... I was amazed.

Jason

rrlongwell

Reaction score
We did an owners update or whatever they are calling it now at Seawatch in myrtle beach today. During the update today we were referred to on multiple occasions as 'non-owners'. I understand they don't like resales but to not even acknowledge we are part of the system... I was amazed.

Jason

I have heard of this happening before but not at Seawatch Plantation. As one Sales Representation explained this verision to me (not Seawatch Plantation) was that Wyndham Corporate had given the right to the sales staff to take deeded timeshares at will if a new purchase was not made, this was one to two years ago. It has come up at another location recently in a slightly different form. In my case, these were were not re-sale units under Wyndham's defination and use of the term. I do not treat this particular version seriously. There was also a similar occurance in between the older one and the newest one.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have heard of this happening before but not at Seawatch Plantation. As one Sales Representation explained this verision to me (not Seawatch Plantation) was that Wyndham Corporate had given the right to the sales staff to take deeded timeshares at will if a new purchase was not made, this was one to two years ago. It has come up at another location recently in a slightly different form. In my case, these were were not re-sale units under Wyndham's defination and use of the term. I do not treat this particular version seriously. There was also a similar occurance in between the older one and the newest one.

Did you have an issue recently with deeds being taken from you...or something like that?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Jason

Even listening to the horse excrement regularly dished out by the big "W's" (Wastegate and Wyndham) is asking to be upset, mislead, belittled and generally made miserable. Of course that basically applies to virtually every timeshare sales group but is a guarantee from these two.

Take it for what it is worth. Less than zero. Get tough skin, take their cash and run. It is all BS. Plain and simple.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Did you have an issue recently with deeds being taken from you...or something like that?

Ya, National Habor about two weeks ago (St. Patrick's day weekend). They were going to go away if I did not deed all but the three that were allegadely already gone over for nothing and buy at full rate 1 million points in Club Wyndham Access. The sales representative keeped insisting she took my VIP Platinum from me even though it was still showing on the computer sheets containing may ownership. By the way the three that were were allegadely gone were still showing on the computer. By the way, this is the first presentation that Religion had to be disclosed as a condition of have the presentation. That was a new and interesting twist.

Last edited:

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score

No...He says he had an issue recently with sales THREATENING to take his deeds if he didn't buy something. Um...they really can't actually do that. PERHAPS Wyndham could simply seize an Access contract if the owner is behind on their maintenance fees. But a deed would require foreclosure and it wouldn't be done through the sales department. Longwell seems to have a real knack for attracting the most outlandish behavior from the staff.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jason

Sorry Jason. Don't sweat it though. Try this next time..."I'm not a real owner? Great. I guess that means I don't have to pay my real maintenance fees anymore. Thanks for telling me. Now if you'll excuse me, I will be heading back to my imaginary room where I will let myself in with my imaginary key."

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
No...He says he had an issue recently with sales THREATENING to take his deeds if he didn't buy something. Um...they really can't actually do that. PERHAPS Wyndham could simply seize an Access contract if the owner is behind on their maintenance fees. But a deed would require foreclosure and it wouldn't be done through the sales department. Longwell seems to have a real knack for attracting the most outlandish behavior from the staff.

I am not late on mainance fees, they take them directly from my account under that basis so that does not happen. I know, of course, according to your implication, it is just me, I guess that is why others report problems with threatment by Wyndam personnel and why they get sued periodically, etc.

P.S. It is not me, for the record. Just the way Wyndham does business.

Last edited:

Joan-OH

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jason

I have never taken one of these meetings and hopefully never will. However, if I do, it WILL be recorded and I'm going to have Wyndham corporate on Speed-dial....."Hello? I'm at a sales presentation and the sale's rep keeps telling me I'm a non-owner, so I would like you know why you keep billing me for maintainance fees?" And I would say all of this in front of the man/woman with the moving lips then pass the phone over so he/she could explain themselves.

Joan-OH

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not late on mainance fees, they take them directly from my account under that basis so that does not happen. I know, of course, according to your implication, it is just me, I guess that is why others report problems with threatment by Wyndam personnel and why they get sued periodically, etc.

P.S. It is not me, for the record. Just the way Wyndham does business.

Longwell, I wasn't suggesting that you are/were late on your maintenance fees. Clearly, the sales staff was just making idle threats. I was laying out the only circumstances under which "deeds" could possibly simply be seized back - in order to reassure anyone who might encounter any similarly outlandish threats.

I have definitely encountered some sketchy behavior and claims from the sales staff myself. But the encounters you report are way above and beyond the norm - to the point that, if the reports are accurate, the encounters seem they must be somewhat targeted.

Last edited:

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
What an idiots to threaten its customer base! That should be reported in my opinion. Then again, who wants to pick a fight when on vacation? :crash:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why on earth would anyone ever voluntarily go to an "update"? Surely your time, and more importantly your dignity, are worth more than the trinkets they offer you to attend.

VivianLynne

Reaction score
I did 2 updates at the same resort in the last 3 weeks. I have lots of expenses - which are posted on my thread in the Tug lounge.

I have been making new friends at the evening activities. I have written down the Tug site at least 5 times to very interested families. As Bingo ended last night, a family from Monday joined me and the other family where we sat for 2 more hours. Security asked us to leave as the building had closed.
The Monday family from CT had driven the parting lot and knocked on doors looking for me that afternoon. Mom had brought over the years 654K developer points and was trying to do estate planning. Her 1 married daughter was travelling with mom and dad. They had he 15 minute in unit review which the next day had grown into a 4 hour Sales/update where Mom was again told she needed to buy another $33,000 worth of Wyndham points. She still has a mtg she at 80 yo is paying on other Wyndham points.

Daughter and her sister (not here) have been on several vacations with the parents; she is trying to learn Wyndham in the 10 minute mode.:hysterical: Sales did give her the new owner's directory.

We are meeting for 25 cent wings tonight. The sin is the parents have most likely spent more money with Wyndham than for both of the daughters college education years ago.

richjester

TUG Member
Reaction score
We attend regularly. We tell them early and often that we won't buy. In most places we get out in an hour or less. Last time at Old Town Alexandria, we got our gift card in under 40 minutes. $75 an hour is acceptable return.

Although there was the one time National Harbor held us up for two and a half hours, so it's not a perfect system.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What an idiots to threaten its customer base! That should be reported in my opinion. Then again, who wants to pick a fight when on vacation? :crash:

The whole approach of denigrating the very product they are attempting to sell as well as purposely devaluing resales makes zero sense yet they continue to sell "new" product based on those very tactics. Just shows that the buying public is easily swayed and way too gullible.

massvacationer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why on earth would anyone ever voluntarily go to an "update"? Surely your time, and more importantly your dignity, are worth more than the trinkets they offer you to attend.

I agree 100%

skip the sales updates - AND ENJOY your vacation

If you have 2 people going to a 3 hour presentation for $100, you are only valuing your time at $16 an hour....surely you'd be better off having fun at the pool

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%

skip the sales updates - AND ENJOY your vacation

If you have 2 people going to a 3 hour presentation for $100, you are only valuing your time at $16 an hour....surely you'd be better off having fun at the pool

Three comments:

At least at an owner update you dont spend any money It seems when Im on vacation my debit card is always out for something

At the pool you make no money and if its a fun vacation you value, I have more fun at owner updates than I do at the pool

The sales people are usually tossing me out before the first hour...There are no three hour tours

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sales people are usually tossing be out before the first hour...There are no three hour tours

I think this is a northeast thing, i went to my first Timeshare Tour at Massanutten in February, as soon as i showed up, they seemed in a rush to give me my $100 and get rid of me...i had to try to pull information from the Salesman instead of him pushing me towards anything

Do you 'sound' like you're from the Northeast Ron? I know you've said you grew up in DC

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is a northeast thing, i went to my first Timeshare Tour at Massanutten in February, as soon as i showed up, they seemed in a rush to give me my $100 and get rid of me...i had to try to pull information from the Salesman instead of him pushing me towards anything

Do you 'sound' like you're from the Northeast Ron? I know you've said you grew up in DC

Ron is a feisty, no-BS guy. Those sales folks probably realize really quickly that they can't run the standard garbage lies or handle the uncomfortable questions. They can't wait to get that summanamich out the door! Put in an east coast accent and that would be a double whammy.

rrlongwell

Reaction score

I think it is more of a matter they do not like pre-programed questions from "Marks". It think they are allergic to that. Ron stricks me as someone they would think asks to many of the wrong questions. By the way, I am at Skyline Tower for a couple of days. I am going to ask about the Safe whatever program at this location and see what they say.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron is a feisty, no-BS guy. Those sales folks probably realize really quickly that they can't run the standard garbage lies or handle the uncomfortable questions. They can't wait to get that summanamich out the door! Put in an east coast accent and that would be a double whammy.

If Washington DC is north east I guess Im nor-easter but anyone that knows me would agree with the summanamich comment...and the older I get the less time I have for BS..Oh! that and Im a licensed real estate agent in Florida

Ill be at Wyndham's Grand Desert (Las Vegas) on Friday..I will take them at their word that its an "owner update" and Ill be ready with questions about the new computer software in Beta testing and waiting lists and safe house etc. . Ill also have copies of my recent ebay purchases and other closed ebay sales

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is more of a matter they do not like pre-programed questions from "Marks". It think they are allergic to that. Ron stricks me as someone they would think asks to many of the wrong questions. By the way, I am at Skyline Tower for a couple of days. I am going to ask about the Safe whatever program at this location and see what they say.

Your repeated submission to torture is befuddling to us all. Why do you ever take their idle threats seriously?

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me... fool me 359 times, just call me a glutton for punishment"

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am with Ron on this one.

For discussion purposes, I have been unable to discern any real difference in update, survey and sales pitch. just amount of bribe offered!

Clearly there are somethings one should not attempt without proper preparation like parachuting out of a plane, bull fighting, sword swallowing, getting tossed in water tank in strait jacket, dealing with highly trained time share sales people who have to sell the something to pay rent, etc!

Does following sound familar? Quote from Wyndham web site!

Sales representatives focus on relationship building as they provide our guests the opportunity to purchase world class destinations. Imagine a job that allows you to be…

Part Real Estate Professional

Part Sales Representative

Part Travel Agent

100% Dream Broker

A Day in the Life

After a morning meeting with the sales force, your tour time has arrived. Now is your time to shine. After you greet your guest, you will spend the next 15 minutes or so talking with them about their vacations (i.e. have they vacationed in the area before?; where do they like to go?; what do they like to do?; what is their dream vacation?) and about their family (i.e. how long have they been married?; do they have children?; grandchildren?) After rapport building with our guests, it is time to spend the next 45 minutes discussing why we vacation, the value offered by ClubWyndham Plus and the advantages of purchasing today.

It is time to incorporate one of our sales tools. You'll take your guests to a plasma screen display full of resorts, travel packages, and the travel calculator. After building their own travel budget, you head for our luxurious condominiums for a tour of several units. Shortly after the tour, you have arrived at the sales center and will propose a vacation package

custom matched to the budget and desires of your couple. As you move thru the process, you will call your manager to the table to assist with closing the sale.

Your couple decides to purchase!! Break out the cheese, crackers, and sparkling grape juice to celebrate. Then take them to the Quality Service Team to finalize all the paperwork. (Top performers will sell 1 - 2 families per week)

Benefits and Compensation
An awesome benefits package in less than 31 days!! This includes your choice of comprehensive health plans (medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, short & long term disability, etc.) 401K plan (after 1 year), tuition reimbursement, attraction discounts, plus much more!!

Can you see yourself making $65,000, $80,000, or $100,000? We've got a plan and support team to help you meet your goals.

Requirements
Skills Required

Let us help you make the most of your dynamic, enthusiastic personality in a fun and inviting environment. Our top associates share a passion for winning, a healthy team spirit, and desire to improve the world one vacation at a time. The successful sales representatives sell with passion, have self discipline, practice listening skills, show mastery of the sales process, and focus on individual & team goals.

COMMENTS: Let's see 15 minutes to become BFF, 45 minutes to unload perfumed manure from brief case, 1 hour to tour and an hour to get the deal. Adds up to 3 hours.
To sell 1 or 2 a week does that mean seeing 3-4 people seven days a week?

Statistics I have seen indicate 1 out 15-20 buy!

If one is staying at nice 3 BR at BC with family, paid plane fares, car rental, park tickets, going 14 hours a day, etc. that is easily $5K. $100 bribe is Beer money.

Like wise, if good natured, laid back, can't believe largest time share company in world listed on NYSE would not hesitate to scam them stay put! Don't know they have "F" BBB rating. Personally I do not knowingly do business with less than a "B" rating.

In fact many victims of yore do anything to avoid sales pitch. Sneak past parking pass desk, unplug phones, toss invites pushed under door and use peep hole to screen strangers knocking on door. Just have worst Wyndham hater hit parking pass desk next morning. Actually I have never seen a post while staying at resort a "ticket" was placed on vehicle, much less towed.

99% guaranteed when when you get unsolicted communication offering free lunch, Nigera Minister of Finance has a million dollars, you won a lottery you did not enter, opportunity to get stock in gold mine cheap, ad infitnium, run. Strangers do not give away money. Maybe Publishers Clearing House????

If one wants to upgrade fron VIP silver to gold, do the math. Cost is around $30K+. You get 25% at silver and 35% at gold or 10% more or 50K points at $5.00 = $250. Buy 300K points resale for a couple bucks and you have about same thing sans USA Today and $30K+ invested and earning nice return which will easily cover MF!

Being North of 65 I only have so much energy and check weather forecast. Schedule sales pitch for off day or ASAP if new to resort as sales people show you where everything is and can offer tips on restaurants and traffic avoidance!

As for updates, the secret is to frustrate sales person and put in negative position. When he asks do you like cruises say no way I get seasick. Ask do you allow pets, I really can't do any more vacations without beloved cats. Ask how long you worked for Wyndham. How many sales this month and year. Any recissions. Since an owner probably trying to upgrade to VIP. Point to bottom of benefits form and say this says these are sales benefits that can be revoked at will and www.wyndsham.com com says about 1 /3 have since you took over from Fairfield. You said resale points are no good and can only be used at home resort, booked 60 days out and if Developer buyer wants my reservation it will be canceled. Then why am I staying here today. You said you would be my personal rep and have shakers and movers private lines on speed dial. My wish is your command! Why did owner relations say this is illegal under 30 rules of sales people conduct and to notify VP owner relations shelly.griessel@wym.com with details. You said this once in a lifetime price as Managers Birthday was only good until noon. Yet at XYZ resort last month salesman said same thing and the owners rep/survey taker came over and said if I put down $100 today and $200 a month for a year he would honor best price offer, apply money to down payment and give me a free week. Who is lying? Not interested in slide show, I want to buy here for ARP. I have stayed here several times and do not need to see phony sales model. Let's see the numbers.

I am easily out in less than an hour and best time was 11 minutes. Experienced sales person know when cage is being rattled and to move on to next victim. Does not work in Mexico where they only do one pitch a day and if you don't listen to full pitch infer you will not get gifts and cab ride back. Have not challenged.

General comment. Once Wyndham /bank has been paid in full and satisfaction of mortgage issued they are out of picture. Cannot touch your deed any more than I can. While MF are billed by VOI, if not paid resort has to eat defaults.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
....By the way, this is the first presentation that Religion had to be disclosed as a condition of have the presentation. That was a new and interesting twist.

Is that legal?