• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Hotel Room Tax on Kauai

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Looks like the daily tax paid for timeshare stays increases by about 30%, correct? If you previously paid about $25 per night, you will now pay about $33 per night. That's because previously it was 10.25% of the half of the maintenance fee, and now it will be 13.25%.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
As I read it, the 3% tax replaces the TAT tax that Kauai will no longer receive from the state?
In July, the state Legislature passed a bill that became Act 1 with Gov. David Ige’s signature, that removed the counties’ allocation of state-collected TAT revenues. The county used to receive close to $15 million a year from the state to support the impacts of tourism activities on county services. Act 1 also authorized the counties to establish and administer their own TAT at a maximum rate of 3%, in addition to the state TAT.

cowboy

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks to me like it’s on top of the tax the state collects. The article says that the state needs more revenue and is not sharing with the counties anymore.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As I read it, the 3% tax replaces the TAT tax that Kauai will no longer receive from the state?

I beleive that article makes an incorrect statement with "In July, the state Legislature passed a bill that became Act 1 with Gov. David Ige’s signature." It was my understanding that the governor vetoed the legislation and was overridden by the legislature?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch

Denise is correct. All the islands will likely implement this, particularly since they weren’t getting their share of the TAT anyway, with Oahu getting the most.

Only impacts those that rent out a unit, e.g., VRBO/AirBNB, etc. and actually pay the tax. Seems to be rare for timeshare owners, unless doing it via VacationCandy.com, Air or brokers that collect and pay it.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Denise is correct. All the islands will likely implement this, particularly since they weren’t getting their share of the TAT anyway, with Oahu getting the most.

Only impacts those that rent out a unit, e.g., VRBO/AirBNB, etc. and actually pay the tax. Seems to be rare for timeshare owners, unless doing it via VacationCandy.com, Air or brokers that collect and pay it.

It directly impact everyone staying in timeshares. Previously, it was 10.25% of 1/2 of the maintenance fees, now it will be 13.25%. So about 30% increase. Collected by resorts at check out.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
It directly impact everyone staying in timeshares. Previously, it was 10.25% of 1/2 of the maintenance fees, now it will be 13.25%. So about 30% increase. Collected by resorts at check out.

I’ll check again, but it was the TAT that was impacted, not the daily occupancy tax, which can vary from $1.50 for a Maui OF studio to $23 or so for the 2 BR unit...and paid at checkout by occupant. Then again, after the last two years, I expect we will see even more tax increases on visitors.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I’ll check again, but it was the TAT that was impacted, not the daily occupancy tax, which can vary from $1.50 for a Maui OF studio to $23 or so for the 2 BR unit...and paid at checkout by occupant. Then again, after the last two years, I expect we will see even more tax increases on visitors.
They are the same. For timeshares they just call it Timeshare Occupancy tax and it is calculated as 10.5% of 50% of the maintenance fee for the unit. It isn't a fixed amount. It varies (increases) every year as maintenance fees go up. This is only paid on timeshare based stays. Cash based stays (through the resort) at timeshares pay the regular TAT, which is the same amount.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
They aren’t the same…

Hawaii has:

GET - Excise Tax
TAT - Accomodations tax - This is the tax that Maui, and Kauai (and I expect Hawaii) will add 3% to.

I do see the opportunity for the islands to write their own rules on who and how collected, but right now it looks to just be an increase in the current TAT collection and reporting process.

These two must be collected and paid on rental income by any owner renting out a unit, even if rented out via a 3rd party.

TOT - Occupancy tax… this is the only one paid by whomever is occupying the room and is determine as you noted, with the bulk of the tax applied to the one bedroom when a two bedroom is locked off.

Lots of links, but this is a reasonable summary.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They aren’t the same…

Hawaii has:

GET - Excise Tax
TAT - Accomodations tax - This is the tax that Maui, and Kauai (and I expect Hawaii) will add 3% to.

I do see the opportunity for the islands to write their own rules on who and how collected, but right now it looks to just be an increase in the current TAT collection and reporting process.

These two must be collected and paid on rental income by any owner renting out a unit, even if rented out via a 3rd party.

TOT - Occupancy tax… this is the only one paid by whomever is occupying the room and is determine as you noted, with the bulk of the tax applied to the one bedroom when a two bedroom is locked off.

Lots of links, but this is a reasonable summary.

But doesn't TOT come to be when TAT doesn't apply because it isn't a cash stay? TOT uses the same forms for remittance as TAT. That is why I think they are one and the same for the most part. The PDF I linked to referred to it as TAT, but Timeshare Occupancy is called out. I think by raising TAT they are also raising TOT?

Last edited:

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
The keep saying the tax increased by 3%, but it's incorrect. An increase from 10.25% to 13.25% is not 3%. It's closer to 30%.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
But doesn't TOT come to be when TAT doesn't apply because it isn't a cash stay? TOT uses the same forms for remittance as TAT. That is why I think they are one and the same for the most part. The PDF I linked to referred to it as TAT, but Timeshare Occupancy is called out. I think by raising TAT they are also raising TOT?
I don’t think so, but waiting to see how implemented.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Yes, if you read the guide from the state of Hawaii they are essentially the same.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
That’s a good summary I hadn’t seen.

Irrespective, if you rent out a timeshare unit out, as the owner, you are obligated to pay the TAT on the gross rental fee to the state and the occupant is obligated to pay the TOT to the resort as the occupant. Two distinct taxes.

Yes, two distinct taxes but your interpretation does not appear to be correct per the state of Hawaii. Your use of TOT is what Hawaii refers to as TSO (Timeshare Occupancy Tax).

Per FAQ 8 from Hawaii Tax Facts 98-4:
I occupied my unit for 7 days and rented it out for 7 days. Am I subject to the TSO tax for all 14 days?
No. Because you occupied the unit for only 7 days, the daily fair market rental value is multiplied by 7 days to get the total fair market rental value that is subject to the TSO tax paid by the plan manager.

Because you received income from the rental of the unit, you must be licensed under the TAT Law and under the General Excise Tax (GET) Law. You, not the plan manager, must report and pay the TAT at 10.25% on the gross rental proceeds (not the fair market rental value) from the rental of the time share unit. Because you are subject to the TAT for the 7 days that the time share unit was rented, the plan manager is not liable for the TSO tax for those 7 days. You must also report and pay the GET at 4% (plus the county surcharge if applicable) on the gross income from the rental of the time share.

By law it appears there would not be an instance in which both the TAT and TSO would be paid for the same time period.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
That is strange since we know that both occupants will pay the resort the occupancy tax at checkout, at least at Marriott Maui, and the owner would pay the TAT on the rental.

Took a lot to wrap my head around, and integrate into their tax collection processing for TAT and GET. Paying the occupancy tax at checkout was always separate and handled by resort…and always collected.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That is strange since we know that both occupants will pay the resort the occupancy tax at checkout, at least at Marriott Maui, and the owner would pay the TAT on the rental.

Took a lot to wrap my head around, and integrate into their tax collection processing for TAT and GET. Paying the occupancy tax at checkout was always separate and handled by resort…and always collected.
It would seem that Timeshare Occupancy (TSO) is really there to cover those non cash/non rental stays. Like home resort and timeshare exchange. In reality, it is far more complex and if someone is renting out their home resort week, there should be no need for the owner to collect TAT on the rental amount and then the management company (resort) to collect it again on checkout at TSO.